What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders game.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Remember all those years since 2010 where we'd start the season well only to taper off badly in the second half of the year, so many times. Wouldn't it be great if we could mark this season down as the turning point and from a slow start really pick up momentum going into the second half of the year
That would be a beautiful turn of events if that's how it turns out for us this season, Kit.

You're so right with the above mate, I remember going back further than that under Brownie when we were notorious slow starters but used to build momentum at the back end of the year. Season 05 for example, we lost five of our first six but won the last seven games of the regular season on the trot and had a bye in that too.

Again I'm trying my best to stay measured about the remaining games but the mind wonders when it's 2 weeks until our next game!

randomdragon

Juniors
I do feel like we are building up and not down, attack seems to be getting better each week (minus cowboys) and it seems Amone is getting more of the ball each week. I feel like hook knows what he’s doing in the sense of bringing Amone in slowly

We are all riding an emotional roller coaster and desperately want to believe our side is competitive.

when we beat 2 too 5 sides back to back I will dare to believe.

In the meantime let’s keep our feet firmly on the ground.

Enjoy the wins and not death ride the players when the side loses.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Remember all those years since 2010 where we'd start the season well only to taper off badly in the second half of the year, so many times. Wouldn't it be great if we could mark this season down as the turning point and from a slow start really pick up momentum going into the second half of the year, learning, building combinations and becoming a more settled 17, confident and capable, and powering into the semis. It could happen. They need to find whatever spurred them in the opening 30 minutes last Thursday and bottle it.
In that opening 30 it looked to me like they wanted to play for Macca, for each other and to also stamp some authority at their home ground. I don't know what happened after that, maybe they were in shock or all that nervous energy was spent but they need to look back at that game many times and keep it in mind and most importantly do it again. Please do it again and again.
Maybe if Lawrie plays like he did against Souths every week.

2010Dragons

Bench
Most of the current crop of Dragons players these days just go through the motions when we are losing or have hit a comfortable lead. Where is the hungry, the ruthlessness to finish teams off , like they use to from 2009 - 2011.

I said it before and I’ll say it again. This team is not mentally or physically fit to play ruthlessly for 80 minutes.
Look at the storm, panthers and cowboys they fight to the last second of every game.
if you look at the stats Dragons always leak points just before half time and the last 20 minutes before full time.
The first 23 minutes in the south’s game was exactly how the Bennett era players played for 80 MINUTES.

thebigredv

First Grade
As a fan I really feel it is safest to assume the big win was due to Souths being poor more than us being brilliant. They didn't turn up for 30 minutes unlike any other team we have played this year. That's certainly how the media is putting it and I have to agree. Do it to the Raiders and then they'll have to throw some positives our way.

Not wanting to detract from the effort too much but I don't see us putting 30 blot on any other team in the comp if that team is committed to their cause. We just are not that kind of team that knows how to blow others off the park. Won't be until some of young blokes hit their straps and we recruit some more explosive players.

We did learn a little though. Some obvious takeaways.

Confidence is key. Suddenly we were catching bombs, passes were sticking and the linespeed went up 200% because the whole team started believing. It was united. Not going to end in as many tries as that usually but will place a lot more pressure and the opposition suddenly have to do a whole lot more in defence and will have less left in attack. Something we have been on the wrong side of most of the season.

The more Amone steps up and tries to impact the game, including a running game, the more dynamism it gives us and the less Hunt has to do it all. If Hunt can be freed to pick his moments more it will again force the opposition to approach us with more caution. Sullivan should be allowed to do this from 9 or 14 as well.

Our forwards were strong. When our forwards are doing their job well, it will open up a world of possibilities. Not sure enough of them are dedicated to the cause and not enough pressure coming from reggies yet.

I don't think the Dragons care what I think but I have to be honest and say I don't trust this team to maintain the same standards for upcoming games. I get the feeling the mentality is not going to change but I am super keen to be proved wrong. It does make the Raiders game a much more exciting prospect and for that I am grateful.

denis preston

First Grade
As a fan I really feel it is safest to assume the big win was due to Souths being poor more than us being brilliant. They didn't turn up for 30 minutes unlike any other team we have played this year. That's certainly how the media is putting it and I have to agree. Do it to the Raiders and then they'll have to throw some positives our way.

Not wanting to detract from the effort too much but I don't see us putting 30 blot on any other team in the comp if that team is committed to their cause. We just are not that kind of team that knows how to blow others off the park. Won't be until some of young blokes hit their straps and we recruit some more explosive players.

Confidence is key. Suddenly we were catching bombs, passes were sticking and the linespeed went up 200% because the whole team started believing. It was united. Not going to end in as many tries as that usually but will place a lot more pressure and the opposition suddenly have to do a whole lot more in defence and will have less left in attack. Something we have been on the wrong side of most of the season.

The more Amone steps up and tries to impact the game, including a running game, the more dynamism it gives us and the less Hunt has to do it all. If Hunt can be freed to pick his moments more it will again force the opposition to approach us with more caution. Sullivan should be allowed to do this from 9 or 14 as well.

Our forwards were strong. When our forwards are doing their job well, it will open up a world of possibilities. Not sure enough of them are dedicated to the cause and not enough pressure coming from reggies yet.

I don't think the Dragons care what I think but I have to be honest and say I don't trust this team to maintain the same standards for upcoming games. I get the feeling the mentality is not going to change but I am super keen to be proved wrong. It does make the Raiders game a much more exciting prospect and for that I am grateful.
Good summation Red V. Really happy for the Souths win but if we really are honest our first and second half was chalk & cheese. Don't know what money we have to recruit but we are still in a rebuilding stage ( dispite what Hook says ) and still have to move on some of the mentality weak and culture killer players. Hook did promise our back end of the season would be stronger than the front so here's hoping for more improvement !!

RedVDave

First Grade
Expect disappointment and you'll never be dissapointed.

I honestly don't know what to expect we are so bloody inconsistent and unpredictable it's like watching an Alfred Hitchcock movie every week.

Obviously I hope we win but we shall see which team turns up.

blacksafake

First Grade
A
Expect disappointment and you'll never be dissapointed.

I honestly don't know what to expect we are so bloody inconsistent and unpredictable it's like watching an Alfred Hitchcock movie every week.

Obviously I hope we win but we shall see which team turns up.
At least with a Hitchcock movie you just know it’ll be a good one. With us it’s either a blockbuster or a flop🙄😩😁

The way I look at it Souths we’re just as horrid when we played them the first time. We didn’t turn up at all however and were worse than Souths. This time we did. Whether that’s improvement all round or just one of our UP games time will tell. I personally think a bit of both.

justadragon

Bench
The way I look at it Souths we’re just as horrid when we played them the first time. We didn’t turn up at all however and were worse than Souths. This time we did. Whether that’s improvement all round or just one of our UP games time will tell. I personally think a bit of both.
I think we got to see the good , bad and the ugly during the souths game, good was the way we capitalised on all the souths mistakes in the first half, our attack was pretty good and we had a lot of momentum. Bad was the way souths started the second half and we couldnt go with them, nor could we score another point because of the pressure applied. The ugly was , for a fleeting moment I thought the dragons were going to let souths right back into that game. The game against the raiders will need a 80 min effort of consolidated good footy, no switching off for periods of the game allowing stupid penalties and six again's . We lose this game if raiders get on top of us early, we dont do comebacks.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Most of the current crop of Dragons players these days just go through the motions when we are losing or have hit a comfortable lead. Where is the hungry, the ruthlessness to finish teams off , like they use to from 2009 - 2011.

I said it before and I’ll say it again. This team is not mentally or physically fit to play ruthlessly for 80 minutes.
Look at the storm, panthers and cowboys they fight to the last second of every game.
if you look at the stats Dragons always leak points just before half time and the last 20 minutes before full time.
The first 23 minutes in the south’s game was exactly how the Bennett era players played for 80 MINUTES.
Spot on mate. These blokes treat the club like an employer that they hardly want to work for. Just before their contract is up they hit form. I miss those years between 2009 and halfway through 2011 when the players played out of their skin week in and week out.

Dragon David

First Grade
Spot on mate. These blokes treat the club like an employer that they hardly want to work for. Just before their contract is up they hit form. I miss those years between 2009 and halfway through 2011 when the players played out of their skin week in and week out.
Let's face it, 2009 - 2011 were special years that we were very fortunate to have experienced because of who we got as our coach. If we didn't get Bennett, those years could very well have been as they were from 2012 to now and our frustration even worse.

I'd like to think that we got something then to cherish before the big fall.

Players of today, no matter from which club, have no true loyalties and allegiance. The highlights reels, social media, money in the bank talks much more now.

Anyway, hopefully our boys can stay focused against the Raiders. Any fade outs will ruin our chances of a win. Start well and end well is my motto. What happens in between is another story.

Walpole

Juniors
So much riding on this game - beat the Raiders and we jump 4 points clear of them, lose and they'll move ahead of us on F/A. Given they're one of the other teams aiming for the bottom of the top 8 this result will be massive.

Also a very good chance the teams around us lose - Souths (v Parra), Manly (v Storm) and Roosters (v Penrith) - so it's now or never for the Dragons.

Illusion

Bench
So much riding on this game - beat the Raiders and we jump 4 points clear of them, lose and they'll move ahead of us on F/A. Given they're one of the other teams aiming for the bottom of the top 8 this result will be massive.

Also a very good chance the teams around us lose - Souths (v Parra), Manly (v Storm) and Roosters (v Penrith) - so it's now or never for the Dragons.
This game as you say is a Big game , This will make us or break us .......