What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

blacksafake

First Grade
Where is the Hook bashers now, especially when we were up 32-0 before half time
Never seen so much minimal posts after a good win
I get it Souths were just terrible and the ref was bias in the first half against them.
Contrary I thought Amone's sin bin was a real soft one based on Walker whingeing and bunker over reacting.
Now they reckon Sua may have a case to answer for a slap across the cheek
I suppose the 2nd half the TV got what they wanted to keep bums on seats.
Surely not for that touch on Taffe who laid down & milked it.

Lawman

Juniors
At the Peptides Cap Rorting Sharks,Woods was never dropped,always playing First Grade with those Merkins.We are still a hope,Woods will be dropped again,before the end of the season- God Willing.

Dragon David

First Grade
Our recruitment hasn't been too bad, but not too good as well. We more or less signed quantity rather than quality. For a few more dollars and getting dearer better guys in less numbers in my opinion should have been done. Two great hard running props and hooker - good in attack and defence and two strong, fast running backs costing us more for fewer players rather than costing the same for signing more quantity.

We just haven't truly identified the types of players we need - maybe Hook and Co have but decided to spend on more players for depth rather than players who can do things to win us games.

Our halves in the past few years have lacked co-hesion and ability to weekly get us on top of the games. We just haven't had a really good combination going. We have mainly had one doing the job and the other just filling in.

The young guns are not ready. They have barely played together in the past few years. Hunt is still needed by the club but there needs to be someone really good now to help him - Amone at this time isn't the answer - he has to be more consistently "good".

True_Believer

Juniors
Our recruitment hasn't been too bad, but not too good as well. We more or less signed quantity rather than quality. For a few more dollars and getting dearer better guys in less numbers in my opinion should have been done. Two great hard running props and hooker - good in attack and defence and two strong, fast running backs costing us more for fewer players rather than costing the same for signing more quantity.

We just haven't truly identified the types of players we need - maybe Hook and Co have but decided to spend on more players for depth rather than players who can do things to win us games.

Our halves in the past few years have lacked co-hesion and ability to weekly get us on top of the games. We just haven't had a really good combination going. We have mainly had one doing the job and the other just filling in.

The young guns are not ready. They have barely played together in the past few years. Hunt is still needed by the club but there needs to be someone really good now to help him - Amone at this time isn't the answer - he has to be more consistently "good".
Well you do need depth and that's part of the equation

As the club have indicated, we are focussing on the youth and retention of the better players in that group. So to go with that you need the older experience and a few young players with experience (Suli, Sua etc). We've made ground on recruitment compared to previous years but there is still more work to do. We got older experience at a cheaper rate so it's not a bad tactic.

What you also need to remember is that QLD ran the QLD Cup last year where NSW didn't. So teams like the Broncos, Cowboys and Storm are going to have younger players with more game experience. Players like Sullivan, Sloan and Amone are a year behind their QLD counterparts.

I think Amone and Sullivan are the answer, but we need to give them time. You can't expect these players to step into first grade and kill it the first game they have and then consistently play at first grade level when they haven't had 2 years of KOE experience. The fact that Amone has come as far as he has this year is credit to him. He will get better as will Bud. But we may not see them playing together consistently until sometime into the next season.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well you do need depth and that's part of the equation

As the club have indicated, we are focussing on the youth and retention of the better players in that group. So to go with that you need the older experience and a few young players with experience (Suli, Sua etc). We've made ground on recruitment compared to previous years but there is still more work to do. We got older experience at a cheaper rate so it's not a bad tactic.

What you also need to remember is that QLD ran the QLD Cup last year where NSW didn't. So teams like the Broncos, Cowboys and Storm are going to have younger players with more game experience. Players like Sullivan, Sloan and Amone are a year behind their QLD counterparts.

I think Amone and Sullivan are the answer, but we need to give them time. You can't expect these players to step into first grade and kill it the first game they have and then consistently play at first grade level when they haven't had 2 years of KOE experience. The fact that Amone has come as far as he has this year is credit to him. He will get better as will Bud. But we may not see them playing together consistently until sometime into the next season.
Yes you are right about the "gap" year our boys have had as compared to those teams playing in the QLD Cup last year. I know that work is in progress to achieve better outcomes for the future and us fans and the players in question need to be patient and our turn will come in time.

Hook even said in his pre-game talk that he was wary of the Broncos and so was I. Teams can rise to the occasion when they need to and the Broncos did that without some of their star players this evening.

I, like all of us want to see us win games when it is expected and when we don't, it is very disappointing, but we should be used to it now.

True_Believer

Juniors
Yes you are right about the "gap" year our boys have had as compared to those teams playing in the QLD Cup last year. I know that work is in progress to achieve better outcomes for the future and us fans and the players in question need to be patient and our turn will come in time.

Hook even said in his pre-game talk that he was wary of the Broncos and so was I. Teams can rise to the occasion when they need to and the Broncos did that without some of their star players this evening.

I, like all of us want to see us win games when it is expected and when we don't, it is very disappointing, but we should be used to it now.
Oh definitely. It is frustrating for sure.

I guess the culmination of years of poor management and coaching has taken it's toll on both the club and the supporters. But cleaning that up over night isn't a reality. We are moving in the right direction with the youth focus, retention, the COE etc. We are building for the future. We just need patience as it's a long process to get all levels aligned and working together.

Most of the discussions on this forum change direction game by game. One minute they want Sullivan in. After the first game where he failed to fire they want to kick him to the curb. OR they want to keep him in and kick Amone to the curb ignoring all of the progress he's made. It's a short term success mentality.

Same goes for the coach. After 2 wins some people were claiming we've made progress. After a loss we need to get rid of the coach or the team aren't playing for him. It's crazy.

As Ryan has stated in his recent interviews, we are looking at the bigger picture. They are looking to recruit the right people and not just anybody and keeping the youth that show promise. We are also focussed on setting up a high performance environment for the upcoming years. The coach was extended because he shares that vision. He may not be the one to get us to a grand final in his tenure, but he's going to work with the club to build that backbone for future years where we can be that club that sits in the top 4 year after year.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Oh definitely. It is frustrating for sure.

I guess the culmination of years of poor management and coaching has taken it's toll on both the club and the supporters. But cleaning that up over night isn't a reality. We are moving in the right direction with the youth focus, retention, the COE etc. We are building for the future. We just need patience as it's a long process to get all levels aligned and working together.

Most of the discussions on this forum change direction game by game. One minute they want Sullivan in. After the first game where he failed to fire they want to kick him to the curb. OR they want to keep him in and kick Amone to the curb ignoring all of the progress he's made. It's a short term success mentality.

Same goes for the coach. After 2 wins some people were claiming we've made progress. After a loss we need to get rid of the coach or the team aren't playing for him. It's crazy.

As Ryan has stated in his recent interviews, we are looking at the bigger picture. They are looking to recruit the right people and not just anybody and keeping the youth that show promise. We are also focussed on setting up a high performance environment for the upcoming years. The coach was extended because he shares that vision. He may not be the one to get us to a grand final in his tenure, but he's going to work with the club to build that backbone for future years where we can be that club that sits in the top 4 year after year.
Is there a 'super' like button for this post, hecause it is hits the nail on the head.

Great post and spot on.

BLM01

First Grade
It's time to look for a new COACH.
Griffin will not get us in the eight. And if he fails to do so he has to go.
Throw good coin at Ciraldo as he seems to be the next big thing.
Yeh right. Ciraldo wont do any better with the squad our way.
He looks great as has had a strong developing and now top squad for 5 odd years now.
One below par loss and the knives come out
Imagine being a Warriors supporter with the announcement of their new coach.

Mitty266

Juniors
Has anyone else thought about the idea of throwing a stack of money at billy slater to take the role as head coach? Is this a far fetched concept?. Apart from luring a coach from the UK at this point in time, he would be a breath of fresh air not being apart Of the old boys club or a has Been coach… not trying to troll just a thought I had after Wednesday night and todays performance.

thebigredv

First Grade
Has anyone else thought about the idea of throwing a stack of money at billy slater to take the role as head coach? Is this a far fetched concept?. Apart from luring a coach from the UK at this point in time, he would be a breath of fresh air not being apart Of the old boys club or a has Been coach… not trying to troll just a thought I had after Wednesday night and todays performance.

Something like this needs to happen. The club is dying a very protracted and uncomfortable death. The wining culture has been erased.

The Tigers Benji succession plan stinks but someone like Slater will bring with him the know about how to win games. It may sound crazy and not be anything he is interested in but we need to bang down any door like that before the red v becomes the eternal dunny rag of the game.

BLM01

First Grade
No not far fetched. Good idea except he is being groomed to take over Bellyache at the end of next year. Where else would he want to be with Bellyache GM
I even thought Payten was a good idea back at his stint with the Warriors. Just like the way he is honest. After last year I thought na..this year..back to yeh