What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup Squads

Frailty

First Grade
Some really awful selections - Martin and Trbojevic being two key ones.

I would like an explanation how Burton has earned his spot. He has been picked on a reputation of how he played at Penrith last season, because this season his form wasn't good enough. Of 5/8ths this season, the only stats he was near the top of was missed tackles and errors. He had the same amount of try assists as Brimson FFS.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Some really awful selections - Martin and Trbojevic being two key ones.

I would like an explanation how Burton has earned his spot. He has been picked on a reputation of how he played at Penrith last season, because this season his form wasn't good enough. Of 5/8ths this season, the only stats he was near the top of was missed tackles and errors. He had the same amount of try assists as Brimson FFS.
He only had 1 option in the whole side to pass or kick to

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess we will get to see if the old adage that a good pack will beat a good set of backs Is true! That aus pack would be rated 4th, 3rd at best, but back line so full of attack. Will be interesting to see how they go.

Wizardman

First Grade
That Australian pack is the most mobile I have seen. They DO look very vulnerable if they face a NZ or Tongan pack that is 100% on their game. I think we'll have an interesting world cup.
I do understand the omissions of Edwards and Hynes. I just don't think it is Hynes time just yet. Edwards does not have utility value and is behind the Australian captain. I do think he is the second best fullback in the country but there are quite a few players that can cover fullback in that squad. Extremely unlucky but the right call.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I guess we will get to see if the old adage that a good pack will beat a good set of backs Is true! That aus pack would be rated 4th, 3rd at best, but back line so full of attack. Will be interesting to see how they go.
Yeo is the best forward in the world, they'll be sweet

Perth Red

Post Whore
That Australian pack is the most mobile I have seen. They DO look very vulnerable if they face a NZ or Tongan pack that is 100% on their game. I think we'll have an interesting world cup.
I do understand the omissions of Edwards and Hynes. I just don't think it is Hynes time just yet. Edwards does not have utility value and is behind the Australian captain. I do think he is the second best fullback in the country but there are quite a few players that can cover fullback in that squad. Extremely unlucky but the right call.
If the English weather by the second half of the tournament turns then a big pack will murder a mobile pack. They’d better be hoping for an Indian summer lol

mikail-eagle

Bench
PNG KUMULS SQUAD
https://news.pngfacts.com/2022/10/png-kumuls-rugby-league-world-cup-squad.html

PNG%20Kumuls%20team.jpg

taste2taste

Juniors
Really surprised Taniela Paseka missed out. I thought he'd be a shoe in for a bench spot especially with Pangia Jnr pulling out.
Basically Tonga's version of Big Nelson.

Also ofahengaue should have been there, was the the bright spot in an otherwise horrible Tigers team

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
I actually think that’s a fairly dangerous PNG team, definitely heading to the last 8, best team I’ve seen them field.

They look fairly strong and capable of an upset against England/Tonga/Samoa on a good day I’d say. Notable omissions I’d say are Segeyaro, Biondi-Odo, Derby, Horne, Kapinias & Puara. Not sure who of those are injured or just left out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They look fairly strong and capable of an upset against England/Tonga/Samoa on a good day I’d say. Notable omissions I’d say are Segeyaro, Biondi-Odo, Derby, Horne, Kapinias & Puara. Not sure who of those are injured or just left out.
I guess segeyaro must have fallen out with someone in the png hierarchy!

mikail-eagle

Bench
Biondo-Odo, Derby were already injured before the season ended and Puara broke his arm in the PMXIII game.

Segeyaro, Horne and Kapinias are the big mysteries.

England87

Juniors
Wales squad named. Yikes.

Twenty years ago they had a mixture of world-class key position players with a sprinkle of handy Super League regulars. Plus a fair chunk of those lads were born and bred.

When they made the Four Nations there was a crop of decent Crusaders guys who went on to have ok careers but the well has certainly dried up.

Shame.

jim_57

Staff member
Cook Islands

Tevin Arona (Auckland), Tinirau Arona (Wakefield Trinity), Geoffrey Daniela (St Marys Saints), Johnathon Ford (Featherstone Rovers), Anthony Gelling (Auckland), Kayal Iro (Cronulla Sharks), Makahesi Makatoa (Parramatta Eels), Steven Marsters (Thirroul Butchers), Esan Marsters-Siavale (Huddersfield Giants), Davvy Moale (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Tepai Moeroa (Melbourne Storm), Dylan Napa (Catalan Dragons), Ruatapu Ngatikaura (Wests Tigers), Moses Noovao-McGreal (Norths Devils), Pride Pettersen-Robati (NZ Warriors), Dominique Peyroux (Toulouse Olympique), Brendan Piakura (Brisbane Broncos), Reuben Porter (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Vincent Rennie (Newtown Jets), Reubenn Rennie (Newtown Jets), Brad Takairangi (Hull Kingston Rovers), Aaron Teroi (CQ Capras), Zane Tetevano (Leeds Rhinos), Paul Ulberg (London Broncos). Stand-by players are Adam Tangata (Halifax) and Malachi Morgan (Southport Tigers).

England87

Juniors
Crikey the Cooks have more than a decent side. If Johnno Ford can direct traffic they have more than enough firepower and genuine speed out wide.

Tetavano, Napa & Makatoa in the middle could lay the platform for most sides.

England87

Juniors
My Predictions

A
ENGLAND
SAMOA
France
Greece

B
AUSTRALIA
FIJI
Scotland