What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Ben, time to sign the contract

justadragon

Bench
Good post justa
but be careful you'll be called a Drama Queen
obv hitting a raw nerve with some on here , bit close to the coal face
Thanks DD, i dont take too many things to heart from what is said on this forum, just happy to read everyone's opinions and see what debacle the Dragons can get themselves into next year, I should be used to it having followed them for over 45 years, :)))) keep smiling !!!

True_Believer

Juniors
Take your dog for a walk in the clear fresh TB
you will feel a lot better
i have followed this Club for 55 years , and have rarely seen the place run as bad as it is at present
i am entitled to my opinion just as you are , and so many others on here , and mine will not change
Perhaps if the Club was a little more transparent with its dealings , there wouldn't be so many issues that Members and Fans are concerned about
Drama Queen no ,, concerned and loyal supporter Yes
END

Lol!!! Not sure where you've got the idea I'm upset!! I'm more confused about why you are trying to suggest that I've missed some imaginary point you've made.

I'm not the one typing in capitals. Not sure if you are aware but typing in capitals equates to shouting online. If anything it would indicate the you are the one that's upset. I'm fine but seems you've taken offence to my comments and opinion. I mean you haven't responded with any clarity to my comments or questions but that's fine. I didn't expect you to so I'll leave it at that.

Maddragon99

Juniors
we all predicted that the Sullivan issue would come to the fore all season, I thought he may have been able to handle the 14 for a while and interchange with hunt, but with the arrival of Liddle that seems to have ended, only hope is that Macca gets TOLD he is gone to ressies, maybe that might appease Sullivan, at the end of the day if you have been offered a position in your preferred spot somewhere else and you dont get dicked around, then there will be no stopping him, contract or no contract it will end up like Saab, with Sloane in hot persuit. The point is who would blame him, sure there might be a lot of pressure on but he sits fine with that. The funny thing is all the Dragons advertisements that contain Sloane and Sullivan will have to be shelved very quickly. Most importantly Hooks KPI that he brings juniors through may have to be thoroughly revised with the impending loss of 2 of the brightest prospects the dragons have had for years
McCullough & Liddle are both signed for 2023 so you can only assume Sullivan will complete his apprenticeship next year then take over the 7 jersey in 2024 with Hunt moving to dummy half in 2024.

possm

Coach
Now that Hunt has re-signed, we need to understand what the Club is doing;
Will they release Sloan and Sullivan or will they keep them to their contract?

Why did the Club extend Hunt and what was the deal?

Will Griffin see out his contract or will he leave before the end of season 2023?

Dragon David

First Grade

Will Griffin see out his contract or will he leave before the end of season 2023?
Good questions possm. Nostradamus is the person who could give us the answers but he ain't nowhere to be seen.

The reality of all this is that we know that both Sloan and Sullivan have not and continue to be unhappy with their treatment and lack of pathways under Hook. They are like brothers in arms together with the Feagai twins and Amone. I'm hoping that Sloan and Sullivan will stay and prove to us that they can deliver the goods with their buddies, but this drama has been going on for quite a while now and with Hunt's re-signing, Sullivan could be the catalyst to heap pressure on the Dragons to release him even though he is still under contract with us which doesn't conclude until the end of 2025 - 2025, three more years!!

The club's decision to extend Hunt on a deal that is in Hunt's favour in my opinion is probably in the same vein as they have done in extending Hook's contract at the start of this year before a ball was kicked to start the season and the way they extended McGregor's tenure over the years without any thought about the consequences. We have written volumes on the shortcomings of our BOD's and management. Our "leaders" are not like Souths who were game enough to not renew Adam Reynold's contract and were keen to keep the young Lachlan Ilias as their half and this is what our BOD should have done with Hunt and brought in Sullivan. I am very sure that if this happened, we would see a great half playing with us in Sullivan sooner than later or now maybe never.

I give Hook about 8-10 games in 2023 and after that, he will be gone.

By the way, I profess not to be Nostradamus Mark 2. I'm only like many on here saying my piece.

rasaint

Juniors
I am willing to concede that taking account of all the ‘pros and cons’ it is simply a very vexed decision the board would have to make.

1. Jayden Sullivan has had a checked couple of years with injuries. That meant the club has not had a consistent view of him each week in the NRL. Nobodies fault. End of last season he looked good at hooker. Contrast this with young Walker at Roosters who has had a good run avoiding long term injury and therefore has had consistent visibility in the NRL.
2. Ben Hunt is a top class player. He just looks like the type of player who will maintain good form for a further 3 years. He has a big motor and keeps competing.
3. Has Ben indicated he would move to hooker 24/25 and team up with Jayden at half ( subject to Jayden proving his mettle week in and week out in the NRL?
4. Different sources have indicated that Ben‘s new contract has a significant TPA to offset about $70k of it under the cap.
5. The bulldogs are signing up big names like KikAu, JACarr, Burton etc.So Jayden would be interested in a club on the up.

let’s see how it pans out

Scientologist

Juniors
Sullivan seeks immediate release following Hunt’s Dragons re-signing

This was predictable of course which makes what happens next very interesting. Saints are holding all of the aces. Sullivan and Hunt both contracted for another 3 years. Sullivan not on massive dollars. Management's job is win a comp and we are stronger with both players in the squad. So why on earth would they let him go? Even with the quality of our management team I can't see him being allowed to leave. Especially after they stared Sloan down a week ago.

Illusion

Bench
This was predictable of course which makes what happens next very interesting. Saints are holding all of the aces. Sullivan and Hunt both contracted for another 3 years. Sullivan not on massive dollars. Management's job is win a comp and we are stronger with both players in the squad. So why on earth would they let him go? Even with the quality of our management team I can't see him being allowed to leave. Especially after they stared Sloan down a week ago.
It should never have got to this , I blame Hook , even if they weren't going to be starting player's in 2023 they should have been kept interested and part of the top grade ...... The team was playing so well Hook couldn't give them games ? The love thing between Hook and Hunt Is sickening to the point of Hunt had the hide to ask for Hook to be part of his contract negotiation ...... Wankers the whole club has gone backwards instead of progressing , then again the likes of G. Young , Doust , and Gordon are all to blame .....

Maddragon99

Juniors

I think the best chance of placating Sullivan & Sloan is a change of coach, Griffin has a track record of playing favourites so no wonder players on the outer are frustrated.

Does anyone see us making the 8 next year? We only have 2 decent forwards in Su’a & de Belin plus Bird & Lawrie who are useful.

Griffin has a massive challenge if he wants to keep his job.

Mojo

Bench
I understand Hunt is looking after himself / family etc. but I think it's very, very poor form to insist on playing only halfback when he could make a move to hooker which would be so beneficial at this time and at this stage of his career, to the team, the young players and to the club. Not that it means anything to anybody other than myself, but he has fallen hugely in my estimation. Put it this way, if he was a good mate of mine I'd really be having major doubts about the guy.

getsmarty

Immortal
I understand Hunt is looking after himself / family etc. but I think it's very, very poor form to insist on playing only halfback when he could make a move to hooker which would be so beneficial at this time and at this stage of his career, to the team, the young players and to the club. Not that it means anything to anybody other than myself, but he has fallen hugely in my estimation. Put it this way, if he was a good mate of mine I'd really be having major doubts about the guy.

Ben Hunt has been our best player all year... without him we lose even more games... I think there is more to this...not to do with benny ;-)

Maddragon99

Juniors
Ben Hunt has been our best player all year... without him we lose even more games... I think there is more to this...not to do with benny ;-)

Understand your point & you are correct but remember even with Hunt having a blinder we comfortably missed the 8. So what’s going to change having so much cap tied up with Hunt until 2025? Letting him go would have allowed us to invest in a top tier prop plus keeping Sullivan.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Who knows what Ben Hunt's new contract is? I presume it's $900k per year but that's a best guess. If you can believe Zerotackle, Cherry-Evans is on $1.2M, Luke Brooks is on $1.1M, Mitchell Moses $950k, Jarome Hughes $900k and Luke Keary $850k. Whatever Ben Hunt is on, it looks like that is what you have to pay for a decent halfback. The same zerotackle data says Lomax is on $700k per year, and JDB is on $750k per year. If true, Ben Hunt is not the one being overpaid.

In terms of balancing the player roster payments, that is what the St George Board and management get paid the big bucks to do. They have all the facts and figures and they need to figure out how to make it all work. However I reckon one of their considerations might be that they want someone of sufficient stature on the books. That way they can go to sponsor's and say, "hey, we have an Australian rep playing for us".

Mojo

Bench
Who knows what Ben Hunt's new contract is? I presume it's $900k per year but that's a best guess. If you can believe Zerotackle, Cherry-Evans is on $1.2M, Luke Brooks is on $1.1M, Mitchell Moses $950k, Jarome Hughes $900k and Luke Keary $850k. Whatever Ben Hunt is on, it looks like that is what you have to pay for a decent halfback. The same zerotackle data says Lomax is on $700k per year, and JDB is on $750k per year. If true, Ben Hunt is not the one being overpaid.

In terms of balancing the player roster payments, that is what the St George Board and management get paid the big bucks to do. They have all the facts and figures and they need to figure out how to make it all work. However I reckon one of their considerations might be that they want someone of sufficient stature on the books. That way they can go to sponsor's and say, "hey, we have an Australian rep playing for us".
Yes, It's a pretty convincing argument for the fact that they are all overpaid. It's all a bit ridiculous IMO. In fact, If Ben was my mate, I'd ask him to tie his contract to me playing hooker - I'm only 65 and only one knee is a bit sore occasionally. I reckon I'd be worth about $500k a year.

Latest posts