What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

EppingEel

Juniors
I might be the only person that thinks this, but I genuinely believe that we will be better next year and maybe even win the premiership. Next year's top 4 contest will be alot tighter than this year, with the Panthers, Roosters, Eels, Storm and Cowboys all contenders for the minor premiership (allthough Penriths depth means that they should still finish first), with teams like the Broncos, Sharks, Raiders and a healthy Manly team all battling for the other top 8 spots. If the eels can manage to finish comfortbaly in the top 4 (which I believe we are very capable of), a week off before the finals will do us a world of good, and potentially setting us up for a Grand Final Apperance.

Out of all our losses, I think Niukore will be the hardest to replace, due to his versitility, and being a very strong starter/bench player. Ipap will be missed as well, with his attacking presence contributing to alot of line breaks (although some of his defence efforts particulary later in the season were very disappointing). But the signings of Hopgood and Hodgeson (if he stays fit and plays like he did in 18-20) excite me alot, with Mahoneys deffiencies in ball running and engaging the markers being fixed by Hodgesons addition (again if he stays fit). Hopgood appears to be a very exciting prospect and is certainly NRL ready, with his post contact running and defence efforts filling in the hole left by Ipap, although he may not see as much game time this year as I would like.

Though it will be interesting to see who else we sign over the off-season, with another outside back needed to replace Opacic, and more explosive fowards to fill out the bench and reserves.

That being said my biggest worry is that we will suffer to make metres in the big games, as we did in the GF this year, as we have a tendancy to be rolled by other packs when we aren't at our best, leaving us reliant on a good Moses kick. That being said, heres hoping for a successful 2023!

I might be the only person that thinks this, but I genuinely believe that we will be better next year and maybe even win the premiership. Next year's top 4 contest will be alot tighter than this year, with the Panthers, Roosters, Eels, Storm and Cowboys all contenders for the minor premiership (allthough Penriths depth means that they should still finish first), with teams like the Broncos, Sharks, Raiders and a healthy Manly team all battling for the other top 8 spots. If the eels can manage to finish comfortbaly in the top 4 (which I believe we are very capable of), a week off before the finals will do us a world of good, and potentially setting us up for a Grand Final Apperance.

Out of all our losses, I think Niukore will be the hardest to replace, due to his versitility, and being a very strong starter/bench player. Ipap will be missed as well, with his attacking presence contributing to alot of line breaks (although some of his defence efforts particulary later in the season were very disappointing). But the signings of Hopgood and Hodgeson (if he stays fit and plays like he did in 18-20) excite me alot, with Mahoneys deffiencies in ball running and engaging the markers being fixed by Hodgesons addition (again if he stays fit). Hopgood appears to be a very exciting prospect and is certainly NRL ready, with his post contact running and defence efforts filling in the hole left by Ipap, although he may not see as much game time this year as I would like.

Though it will be interesting to see who else we sign over the off-season, with another outside back needed to replace Opacic, and more explosive fowards to fill out the bench and reserves.

That being said my biggest worry is that we will suffer to make metres in the big games, as we did in the GF this year, as we have a tendancy to be rolled by other packs when we aren't at our best, leaving us reliant on a good Moses kick. That being said, heres hoping for a successful 2023!
Welcome, merkin.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Hopefully I don't think we will drop off massively as what is predicted in the media.

How we deal with the GF loss will be key. Teams go 1 or 2 ways when losing a GF. We failed miserably in 02 & 10.

But it's still a big effort to make the GF again.

Personally think we are in the 4th-8th range again. Depending on luck and draw we could get higher.

This year we just timed it right by finishing 4th in the last round despite not occupying a spot in the top 4 from round 7 to the final round.

Ideally though we should be aiming for top 2.

Getting into a GF this year should at least reinforce the belief in the senior players we can get there if make the finals.

EppingEel

Juniors
Hopefully I don't think we will drop off massively as what is predicted in the media.

How we deal with the GF loss will be key. Teams go 1 or 2 ways when losing a GF. We failed miserably in 02 & 10.

But it's still a big effort to make the GF again.

Personally think we are in the 4th-8th range again. Depending on luck and draw we could get higher.

This year we just timed it right by finishing 4th in the last round despite not occupying a spot in the top 4 from round 7 to the final round.

Ideally though we should be aiming for top 2.

Getting into a GF this year should at least reinforce the belief in the senior players we can get there if make the finals.
Out of curiosity, who do you have as the teams above us?

hindy111

Post Whore

Not a bad effort for your 6th post. Are you related to the Ram?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Out of curiosity, who do you have as the teams above us?
Penrith, Roosters and I would say Cowboys.

Possibly Souths if Latrell aims up all year but that is a question mark.

The reason I say Cowboys because of there strong Home ground advantage they will have up there. They should bank 8-9 wins again at home. They will all 3 QLD teams twice. Which will be a bonus.

While they will have a tougher draw then this year I expect they will be better.

There forwards are super young and only going to get better. They shot up a year early then i reckon they expected too.

I thought the critics that said they had a soft draw were a bit harsh. They had a tougher one then Cronulla.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Penrith, Roosters, Cowboys, Souths and Storm. Teams around us include Sharks, Raiders & Manly (if Tommy stays fit)
I dont think Manly will be doing anything unless they sort out the split fractures inside the squad.

Foran will be a big loss for them. He complemented DCE perfectly with his soft hands and short kicking game near the tryline. It also allowed Tom to pop up whenever he saw a weakness.

Noise

Coach
I dont think Manly will be doing anything unless they sort out the split fractures inside the squad.

Foran will be a big loss for them. He complemented DCE perfectly with his soft hands and short kicking game near the tryline. It also allowed Tom to pop up whenever he saw a weakness.
True but Manly were in the 8 prior to the jersey fiasco without Tom. If they sort out their issues in the next 5 months and Tom stays fit they can be in the 8 again.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Really good post.

My primary concern is that Brad built a pack based on power - which is fine.

But packs with superior fitness, agility, and mobility (such as Penrith’s) run us ragged.

I think Penrith have shown that, with the new rules, the way forward is to have powerful backs who can take early hitups, and to have mobile forwards, who will work hard.

RCG is mobile, and a hard worker; Matterson (despite his decision to not pay the fine) is mobile, and a hard worker; for his size, Lane is mobile, and a hard worker.

But that's the extent of it.

Hopgood is a workhorse, and Murchie doesn't mind the tough stuff.

I worry about Paulo (when conditions suit him, he's the best prop going around), and our bench.