What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing more of our young guns.

Gareth67

First Grade
“ Mental health problems “ ? For pity sake , that is simply unf##kenbelievable ! How much is this smart cookie of an agent of his being paid to say crap such as this ?

It sounds as this bloke belongs in the ‘ Beware of Scammers ‘ wanted by the police . But just in case the poor lad is indeed suffering from these issues then he would not be able to play footy for any club for at least a season .

In fact I would hope that his doctor advises him not to play the game again , after all , his health is more important than playing rugby league .

As to the other point made about being uncertain about his future , what precisely is causing him to stress about it ? He has a signed contract with St.George Illawarra until the end of season 2025 .

If the Bulldogs have anything whatsoever to do with this then our board had better quickly grow a set of nackers and demand an investigation into this issue by the NRL .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Changes need to be made when it comes to compensating Clubs that spend a lot of their time developing young players. But it won't happen whilst ever we have second rate people running our Club.

SBD82

Coach
That article is a bit of a beat up, but…

It’s mind boggling that anyone can continue to have faith in the management, development and football department of this club.

The entire organisation is taking advantage of our loyalty, and some of you seem to want everyone to be grateful for the experience.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I thought I read in the same article that @Dragon David posted earlier that the next two years of Sullivan's contract are worth $1 million or did I get that wrong?

If so then 500k a year to ply your craft and learn a little from one of the best halves in the game currently, surely that would be enough to keep any young person focused and motivated.
I read it as $1M over the three years, but even so that's seriously good money for anyone, including a promising junior. Prior to signing I'm sure he received plenty of advice from his manager, his parents, his mentors, his friends etc. There's no way he would have signed the contract without understanding the deal and all his obligations.

“ Mental health problems “ ? For pity sake , that is simply unf**kenbeleivably ! How much is this smart cookie of an agent of his being paid to say crap such as this ?

It sounds as this bloke belongs in the ‘ Beware of Scammers ‘ wanted by the police . But just in case the poor lad is indeed suffering from these issues then he would not be able to play footy for any club for at least a season .

In fact I would hope that his doctor advises him not to play the game again , after all , his health is more important than playing rugby league .

If Sullivan wants to leave for his mental health, well and good, but he shouldn't be allowed to play for another club. The case of Jamal Idris comes to mind. He decided there was more to life than football, and left the game for 2 years. Penrith granted him a release and off he went. Sullivan sounds more like he's not happy with the club. The club should stand firm.

Gareth67

First Grade
I read it as $1M over the three years, but even so that's seriously good money for anyone, including a promising junior. Prior to signing I'm sure he received plenty of advice from his manager, his parents, his mentors, his friends etc. There's no way he would have signed the contract without understanding the deal and all his obligations.

If Sullivan wants to leave for his mental health, well and good, but he shouldn't be allowed to play for another club. The case of Jamal Idris comes to mind. He decided there was more to life than football, and left the game for 2 years. Penrith granted him a release and off he went. Sullivan sounds more like he's not happy with the club. The club should stand firm.
Absolutely J.J. Before I go too much further let me clarify this point - I like Sullivan and believe that given time he will make the grade as a good rugby league player .

However to my mind he needs to put away all this rubbish that he will not get his opportunity to firmly entrenched himself in the top grade , as it will come with plenty of hard work and self belief .

Now let’s go back somewhat when Hunt was in 2 minds about his extension with the club and we were told that the Bulldogs were most interested in acquiring his services should he not come to terms with the Dragons .

Many people on this forum seen that for what is was - a deception by the Dogs for the player that they really were after - Sullivan. Back to today we have Hunt signed and now there is discontent from the lad’s agent saying that he wants out .

It’s as plain as Norm Provan’s painting in the foyer of the Taj Mahal - its all a decoy by his agent and somewhere lurking in the background is an individual who has played these exact games in the past when at Penrith , but low and behold he is now at the Bulldogs .

You don’t need to be Einstein to work out just whom that individual is and I will tell you now it isn’t blind Freddy .

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
I thought I read in the same article that @Dragon David posted earlier that the next two years of Sullivan's contract are worth $1 million or did I get that wrong?

If so then 500k a year to ply your craft and learn a little from one of the best halves in the game currently, surely that would be enough to keep any young person focused and motivated.

If it’s true that Sullivan is on 500k per season for the next 2, then f**k me dead, no wonder our cap is supposedly out of whack

This is how dumb rumours get spread. 2025 is 3 years away, and it literally says over 3 seasons

Sullivan’s deal with the Dragons is worth a reported $1 million over three seasons

I'm Hornby

Juniors
This is how dumb rumours get spread. 2025 is 3 years away, and it literally says over 3 seasons

Sullivan’s deal with the Dragons is worth a reported $1 million over three seasons
Thanks, I read the article in passing and as I said I wasn't sure if I read that part properly or misunderstood.

Regardless 350k (or thereabouts) per season is still good coin for a guy who has managed to play one or two first grade games in his preferred position.

I'm sure by asking for a release he would be hoping to get himself both a pay upgrade and more playing time. He should be honest about that aspect rather than playing the mental health card.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Thanks, I read the article in passing and as I said I wasn't sure if I read that part properly or misunderstood.

Regardless 350k (or thereabouts) per season is still good coin for a guy who has managed to play one or two first grade games in his preferred position.

I'm sure by asking for a release he would be hoping to get himself both a pay upgrade and more playing time. He should be honest about that aspect rather than playing the mental health card.
I’m sick of these entitled ‘young guns’ who use every excuse they can to disguise their incompetence. They have had chances to shine and haven’t as yet. They should be putting their energy into improving their technique and strength to at least warrant the current salary that they are on. These guys are fortunate to do what they do as a job because they surely would not survive in the real world.
Earn your position you are not entitled!!
Cody Ramsey is your proof boys.

be55

Juniors
I wonder how some of the posters on this forum would react if they had negotiated terms of contract with an employer and signed a contract, only to have that employer, a few months down the track, choose to change their minds and not honour those terms, and then just expect you to shut your mouth and cop it. I'm sure you'd all just grin and bear it wouldn't you 🙄

rasaint

Juniors
I don’t buy into the Sullivan hype. He looks good to me but not very good. I understand he is playing out of his preferred position of halfback. Like most posters I’m waiting to see him in 2023. Young Walker looks very good playing his preferred position with the roosters. He looked a special talent from his 1st game in the NRL.

Old Timer you rightly call out hype and are critical of players ability being embellished On the forum. I note you consider Lomax is somehow ‘mucked around‘. He is a player reported on $500k a season by some sources and and $700k a season by others. Even with good goal kicking ability he isn’t even worth $500k IMO at best. He is an unremarkable NRL standard player that’s it. I would prefer Zac on the wing for his goal kicking only and Feagai to centre.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I wonder how some of the posters on this forum would react if they had negotiated terms of contract with an employer and signed a contract, only to have that employer, a few months down the track, choose to change their minds and not honour those terms, and then just expect you to shut your mouth and cop it. I'm sure you'd all just grin and bear it wouldn't you 🙄
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it. But tough. I have never been in the same position as Sullivan, but for me, if you give your word (sign a contract) then I would honour the contract (keep my word). He can always leave at the end of the contract. Too old fashioned??

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it. But tough. I have never been in the same position as Sullivan, but for me, if you give your word (sign a contract) then I would honour the contract (keep my word). He can always leave at the end of the contract. Too old fashioned??
So you're saying the club should keep its word