What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Mjab

Juniors
He's been at Parramatta a long time, and it would probably be good for both Parramatta and Brad Arthur to try something different. That said, I don't think he's the right coach for us. Whoever comes in has to deal with our Board of Directors, and it took someone of Bennett's stature to do that effectively.
BA has had to deal with quite a lot of shit at Parra and for a while was holding club together (there was a crisis there a few years ago but now cant remember specifics)
I agree a bit like Brian Smith, but hey we have had 11 years of absolute shit at saints and 5 years of BA building and improving, attracting players and probably playing finals footy most years is a vast improvement on the last 11 years

What other decent coach would come here, I cant think of 1
allegedly Clearly , Bellamy, Bennett, Ciraldo , Fitz and probably a few more all said NO, and for good reason

We are an utter basket case of a club and BA would be a great upgrade IMO, if he had any sense he would say no too

Mjab

Juniors
One thing about Brad Arthur is he does bring the best out of players as Papalii and Lane a great examples coming from Warriors and Dogs to be world beaters. RCG was also on a bit of a slide before he came to Parra. He also does will in promoting juniors. He would not be a bad fit at the Saints but reminds me of Brian Smith and one of those guys that will have teams firing but just won't finish the job with a premiership. He has a great chance to break his duck this season.
I think Canberra are on a roll and have momentum
Parra will panic I suspect and be out in straight sets

But I could be wrong

dungay dragon

Juniors
NOW .....
Can see our beleaguered Coach gone before Pre Season commences
Now that the Manly dramas have spilled over , the blow torch will be fully on the Drags now
The Club will keep saying Hook is safe BUT out will trot former players and disgruntled leaving players tipping the bucket squarely on this former great club
Major Sponsors will then step up and demand change or they will walk away
Canon fodder for the Media till the Board finally reveal we have no choice and bye bye Hook
Will Hunt follow ?...doubt it. He has his extension now but few on here will be gutted if he decides to follow
New Coach....Still odds on to be Deano , but of the others Dessie ., Hannay or C Woolfe , who surely has a clause in his contract to leave if a n NRL gig bobs up , would be my choices BUT heck , anything thing is better than whats being dished up now ................
Guaranteed the media will then give the Club breathing space to see if they crawl out of the quick sand .They have got their Man and will move onto their next target..........

be55

Juniors
i was prepared to give hook a few games into next year, but if these stories keep coming he wont see xmas
Isn't the last two years enough to get the idea of his coaching and man management capabilities.

He's presided over a defensive structure that has seen us miss more tackles and conceded more line breaks than any other team in the comp this year. Our attack, which he stated was worked on so heavily in the off season, has been as unstructured, lifeless, and as side to side as at any time in recent memory. Throw in the countless reports of player unrest towards him and it truly boggles the mind as to why this guy was extended.

The game has moved on from him, and truth be told it probably did a long time ago. The fact he moved heaven and earth to sign a 31 year old dummy half, who was coming off of a serious hamstring injury, and who was universally recognised as the slowest in the comp even before that injury, to a three year deal, is testament to that. Everyone could see that the way the game was changing, a quick creative dummy half would be vital to a teams success, and he went out and signed McCullough. And now we have to carry his dead weight for another year. That decision alone is proof that the modern day game has left him behind.

With everything going on at the moment, surely the club has to move to put the fire out, because it is currently on its way to becoming an inferno that burns the whole place to the ground.

Time for these club parasites, that have their heads stuck up their backsides, to wake up and do what's right for the first time in a long time and right the ship. The Griffin coaching experiment has failed miserably and any realist can see that.

The time to move him on was yesterday...

Phantom V

Juniors
Can see our beleaguered Coach gone before Pre Season commences
Now that the Manly dramas have spilled over , the blow torch will be fully on the Drags now
The Club will keep saying Hook is safe BUT out will trot former players and disgruntled leaving players tipping the bucket squarely on this former great club
Major Sponsors will then step up and demand change or they will walk away
Canon fodder for the Media till the Board finally reveal we have no choice and bye bye Hook
Will Hunt follow ?...doubt it. He has his extension now but few on here will be gutted if he decides to follow
New Coach....Still odds on to be Deano , but of the others Dessie ., Hannay or C Woolfe , who surely has a clause in his contract to leave if a n NRL gig bobs up , would be my choices BUT heck , anything thing is better than whats being dished up now ................
Guaranteed the media will then give the Club breathing space to see if they crawl out of the quick sand .They have got their Man and will move onto their next target..........
I’d be happy with Hannay as head coach with Deano as assistant. I think they can bring a fresh perspective to the club. Our current coach is a dinosaur who can’t relate to the players and Des may be getting to that stage himself.

Dragon David

First Grade
Isn't the last two years enough to get the idea of his coaching and man management capabilities.

He's presided over a defensive structure that has seen us miss more tackles and conceded more line breaks than any other team in the comp this year. Our attack, which he stated was worked on so heavily in the off season, has been as unstructured, lifeless, and as side to side as at any time in recent memory. Throw in the countless reports of player unrest towards him and it truly boggles the mind as to why this guy was extended.

The game has moved on from him, and truth be told it probably did a long time ago. The fact he moved heaven and earth to sign a 31 year old dummy half, who was coming off of a serious hamstring injury, and who was universally recognised as the slowest in the comp even before that injury, to a three year deal, is testament to that. Everyone could see that the way the game was changing, a quick creative dummy half would be vital to a teams success, and he went out and signed McCullough. And now we have to carry his dead weight for another year. That decision alone is proof that the modern day game has left him behind.

With everything going on at the moment, surely the club has to move to put the fire out, because it is currently on its way to becoming an inferno that burns the whole place to the ground.

Time for these club parasites, that have their heads stuck up their backsides, to wake up and do what's right for the first time in a long time and right the ship. The Griffin coaching experiment has failed miserably and any realist can see that.

The time to move him on was yesterday...
Strong words be55 but right words.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree with what has been said in regards to Hasler - or for that matter a decent coach whom could put some quality football back into our team .

However with our board being so damn dysfunctional just how much of a free hand would that individual have in running the team in the manner that would produce the best results ?

Should the clubs hierarchy do the right thing and actually move Griffin on then realistically other than the possibility of Hasler , whom else would they get to replace him ?

According to the latest news Flanagan has had no contact whatsoever with Manly and considering that Dessie is a remote chance at best then to my way of thinking they would go for Flanagan .

The only problem is that the Dragons would be very reluctant to part with the necessary funds for Griffins payout , should that actually eventuate .

So who’s the coach for season 2023 - Griffin , the powers to be at the Dragons will follow the same road as they did with ‘ you know who ‘ who was head coach at the Dragons for 7 very long seasons .

At least that is the way I see it .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I feel we just need one big named player to ask for a release and the balloon will pop.
Zac Lomax. We need him to ask for an immediate release and it’s curtains.
The only reason we are in this mess is that Craig Young and his Board members extended Griffin way too early. His motivation was all related to bringing back his son as head coach in 2024. A prime example of the self-interest that is wrecking our club.

Griffin should go immediately and Young should stand down along with Peter Doust; both men have had their nose in the trough way too long.

Hasler is available and should be given a 3-year deal and like Bennett, also be given the rains to turn things around. The likes of Woods, Burgess, and a long list of other plodders should never have been signed. The recruitment strategy is flawed and so, we need to go back to the 'whiteboard' and start again.

Crush

Coach
The only reason we are in this mess is that Craig Young and his Board members extended Griffin way too early. His motivation was all related to bringing back his son as head coach in 2024. A prime example of the self-interest that is wrecking our club.

Griffin should go immediately and Young should stand down along with Peter Doust; both men have had their nose in the trough way too long.

Hasler is available and should be given a 3-year deal and like Bennett, also be given the rains to turn things around. The likes of Woods, Burgess, and a long list of other plodders should never have been signed. The recruitment strategy is flawed and so, we need to go back to the 'whiteboard' and start again.
Hasler? You seriously want him? Give me a break. He’s terrible.
Can we stop picking up sacked coaches, they get sacked for a reason as we are finding out from Griffin.
The pro Griffin people said he’d be good because he’d never missed the finals, well guess what, he’s missing the finals.
The pro Hasler people will say he’s a premiership winner, let’s be real, he’s not winning a premiership ever again, he’s a reject coach that gets sacked for poor results.

SAP58

Juniors
The Dragons were always a club that you never heard of any internal issues, they were delt with internally, no leaks, no rubbish talk in the press. No doubt that was when players were proud to wear the jersey and everything was kept in check by a quality management team. Oh how things have changed, gone downhill since the "takeover", self interest has taken over and control over the press is non existant. The Daily Telegraph jerno's have agendas against us, Crawley leads the way and has done so since we sacked his brother, Buzz, enough said.
Unfortunately like it or not we have to accept we have a Board full of self interest and probably the worst run club in the NRL. We have Young telling the press one thing and Webb telling them another and former "great" players trashing the club is a perfect example of the mess we are in, Frank Facer would be angry and embarassed at what we have turned into. The will do nothing about Hook despite all of the recent press and the fact we are no better off than we were when he took over.
My rant is now over, do I feel any better ? No as reality is nothing will change in the short or medium term and I will just have to accept that !

Latest posts