What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Incorrect

Coach
The more I think about it the more I realise that we overachieved this year.
I definitely feel that if the Roosters and Storm had as kind a run with injuries as we did they'd have been pushing us outta the way in the top 4 and more likely to have been there for that premiership decider... Both of those teams missed some opportunities to bank points to secure top 4 berths which could be attributed to the injury lists they had...

lucablight

First Grade
I don’t think so. A lot of fans might think that because of how we were humbled in the grand final but Penrith basically played the game of their lives and we didn’t have any response for whatever reason. There are a lot of nuffy teams out there and we were better than most of them. It’s no coincidence we beat Melbourne, Penrith and the Roosters. Our best was enough to match it with the best teams. I’d say the Sharks and Cowboys were the big overachievers.

yy_cheng

Coach
We were 2nd in all run metres and post contact metres for the season. The reason Moses was kicking from behind the forty was because we weren’t restricting Penriths yardage and they were forcing us back for basically the entire game with their line speed in defence and running rampant through our middle. They were able to play fast and we couldn’t match it.
When i get a chance i will look at only the games for the top 8 teams when they versed each other. The win losses and defense and attack

I just think we have a 3 tiered comp, the panfers in the 1st tier, a bunch of teams in the 2nd tier and a bunch of teams in tier 4 they are that far behind

So i dont want to know how we perform against the teams who give up after 50 or 60 mins

yy_cheng

Coach
I definitely feel that if the Roosters and Storm had as kind a run with injuries as we did they'd have been pushing us outta the way in the top 4 and more likely to have been there for that premiership decider... Both of those teams missed some opportunities to bank points to secure top 4 berths which could be attributed to the injury lists they had...
The cowboys actaully couldve got us

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We were 2nd in all run metres and post contact metres for the season. The reason Moses was kicking from behind the forty was because we weren’t restricting Penriths yardage and they were forcing us back for basically the entire game with their line speed in defence and running rampant through our middle. They were able to play fast and we couldn’t match it.
3 of the 4 games against the Riff this season we could barely get out of our own end.

Incorrect

Coach
Prior to this year's GF, the last 2 times we've been in grand finals and lost, we've gone in to the next season with pundits singing our praises and expecting redemption the following season. After the 2001 loss, many said that our youthful team would take the experience of the GF loss and be better for it in 2002 (you gotta lose one to win one etc etc). Round 1 2002 looked like that was a fair assumption when we thumped the Panthers 66-6...but then we fell away.... After 2009, we added Tahu, Poore and Shackleton ( who had been a solid contributor at the Roosters to that point) to our squad and lots of people thought that we'd take the next step but again, we just fell away....

I expect us to fall away in 2023, bottom half of the 8 at best. Who knows, maybe we can again buck expectations and win the whole thing out of the blue.... Here's hoping!

lucablight

First Grade
We beat both of those teams when they were at full strength. Let’s give our boys a little credit here. It’s possible that may have occurred but not necessarily likely.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We all need to accept that we are witnessing the greatest team since our own in the 80’s. Panthers are that good.
Or are they just a very well drilled team that know their roles and are suited to the rules in a pretty f**king weak era. I mean we made a GF coached by Bea Arthur with Wanker Blake on the wing and played with 15 players for the majority of the later half of the season. Their main competition Melbun and Goosters were riddled with injuries.

I’d argue the 04 dogs, 08 Manly, 2013 Roosters, 2017 Storm and 18/19 Roosters had stronger squads.

lucablight

First Grade
3 of the 4 games against the Riff this season we could barely get out of our own end.
The first game this season was pretty even in terms of metres gained (they only made 35m more than us). The second game has extenuating circumstances but we made way more. We got blown off the park in the latter two. Interestingly enough we were all over them in that semi last season and made more metres overall but couldn’t land the finishing blow. It’s possible that they were banged up at the time and that affected them. We didn’t play great in the finals this season apart from the Canberra game. That game against the Cowboys was won more on will than being the better team.

lucablight

First Grade
Or are they just a very well drilled team that know their roles and are suited to the rules in a pretty f**king weak era. I mean we made a GF coached by Bea Arthur with Wanker Blake on the wing and played with 15 players for the majority of the later half of the season. Their main competition Melbun and Goosters were riddled with injuries.

I’d argue the 04 dogs, 08 Manly, 2013 Roosters, 2017 Storm and 18/19 Roosters had stronger squads.
How many of their players would excel in other teams? How did some of their players go for NSW and Samoa?

Glenneel

Bench
Are you saying he chases collisions?
When we had small mobile forward we needed bigger forwards. Now we have them we need to revert back.
We are unlucky 😔
If you have small forwards they have to be creative but ours at the time were not. Hardly any of them passed/offloaded the ball and if you're small you can't be a battering ram. We used to have lots of injuries but since we've gone to bigger forwards we've had much fewer.

Bigish, skillful and mobile forwards is the way to go and we have 2 monsters in Paulo and RCG but they have big motors and probably could be more mobile by playing fewer minutes. Now what a thought! play less with higher intensity. Who would have thunk???

Glenneel

Bench
BA's game plan was to not give away penalties so we cleared the ruck way too early imho. Penriff and cheats lay all over you and never seem to get penalised and we need to do the same, then our defence might improve. Another thing particularly Penriff does is their players nearly always land on their front so they can ptb quickly whereas we get turtled. Another thing we have to improve with our game.

hindy111

Post Whore

So did Sharks and Cowboys. Storm and Rooster where crippled by injuries. So was Manly. All had strong squads if fit and would of made far more noise in finals.
2017 we lost Gutherson and I think Bevan also
2021 Mahoney
2020 was it Sivo,Fergo and Jennings?
Don't recall 2019.
So we've had our share of bad luck in finals along with horror draws
Have we ever had a fully fit squad bar this year? It kinda helped having a soft draw and a fully fit squad.