What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Crush

Coach
Honestly, good luck to the communications and media guy/gal who gets the gig...how is anyone meant to put a positive spin on the joint? Someone's about to walk into the worst job in rugby league.

How do you 'sell' a supposedly professional club which is more than happy to employ a coach they foreshadow sacking, and a club more than happy to simply go through the motions in an elite competition.
I vote @Parko1310 for the job, he/she can put positive spin on seemingly anything

Dragon David

First Grade
Honestly, good luck to the communications and media guy/gal who gets the gig...how is anyone meant to put a positive spin on the joint? Someone's about to walk into the worst job in rugby league.

How do you 'sell' a supposedly professional club which is more than happy to employ a coach they foreshadow sacking, and a club more than happy to simply go through the motions in an elite competition.
Yes you are right tbrv. I'm thinking that there are not too many takers with any ability to do this thankless job. The unlucky person could end up in the looney house.

mightydragon

Juniors

I'm tipping that Albert Young will get the gig. He is proficient in the use of club letterhead. It's about the only job left at the club that he hasn't been given a go at.

jak

Bench
“ Oh ye of little faith ! “

I do not know if that s a quotation from the good book , but my Ethel saids it to me all the time . 🤔

Flanagan will probably come back with a few quality signings and then give Siebold a call and say that he has changed his mind. After 7 or 8 games he will become the new Dragon coach !

Stranger things have happened .
i think you have been watching your ethel mow to many lawns ol fela

Gareth67

First Grade
i think you have been watching your ethel mow to many lawns ol fela
For once you may be right jak , too much wishful thinking on my part .

Just whom they will replace Griffin with ( should they do so ) is anyone’s guess , however I do not believe it will be Dean Young .

They have had Flanagan sitting on his behind now for a number of seasons, but he is off to the Sea Eagles , so the new man had better be made of steel to pull the team up the rungs of the ladder .

Maddragon99

Juniors

Just whom they will replace Griffin with ( should they do so ) is anyone’s guess , however I do not believe it will be Dean Young .

They have had Flanagan sitting on his behind now for a number of seasons, but he is off to the Sea Eagles , so the new man had better be made of steel to pull the team up the rungs of the ladder .
For mine Des Hasler is the only available option, a proven winner who has the authority to sort things out.

When you look at the stats there’s been no improvement from McGregor to Griffin so I don’t see a coach like Dean Young or Mick Potter being the answer.

There are some culture problems, certain players not putting in or not sticking to the game plan. Only a coach with stature & authority could make the difference.

jak

Bench

agree with you mate , i just wish they would pull the trigger and get it done and not waste another year, a few of us on this forum dont have the years to waste

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Hasler did come to Saints, do you think he would be playing the juniors more than Griffin does? He is not really that big on pathways as we saw at the Dogs. It would be interesting to see as he may have a different mindset being at a club that has a bigger junior base than the Dogs and not sure about Manly. Dessie would possibly get Saints to the 8 but at what cost. He left a huge mess at the Dogs. Also keen to see how Manly goes next season.

Ryles is the man for me. Imagine how pi$$ed the Storm would be as it looks like he has been groomed to be Bellamy's replacement and if Saints get in quick then they will ruin their long succession plan. I would throw the kitchen sink at Ryles if I was Saints. He was Bellamy and now Robbo's assistant. That is a far better resume than Ciraldo and Fitzgibbon.

possm

Coach
For mine Des Hasler is the only available option, a proven winner who has the authority to sort things out.

When you look at the stats there’s been no improvement from McGregor to Griffin so I don’t see a coach like Dean Young or Mick Potter being the answer.

There are some culture problems, certain players not putting in or not sticking to the game plan. Only a coach with stature & authority could make the difference.
Yes, I too would like Hasler as head coach with Browny as the mand in charge of recruitment/pathways.

Gareth67

First Grade
agree with you mate , i just wish they would pull the trigger and get it done and not waste another year, a few of us on this forum dont have the years to waste .

That is without doubt the most infuriating aspect of this situation .

As in the McGregor years , they waited and waited and those seasons were wasted , as were the resources that were put into fielding a team in the competition .

With the exception of Gordon’s daughter , Lancaster and Ben Creagh the board remains the same . We can only hope that the newbies can make a big difference as to how the club operates and as a result the team itself .

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This is from Foxsports website:-

DRAGONS

Top 30 spots left to fill
: Five

2023 Squad: Talatau Amone (2024), Jack Bird (2024 MO 2025), Billy Burns (2023), Jack de Belin (2023, PO 2024), Matthew Feagai (2024), Max Feagai (2024), Tyrell Fuimaono (2023), Ben Hunt (2025), Jaiyden Hunt (2024), Josh Kerr (2023), Blake Lawrie (2023), Zac Lomax (2026), Moses Mbye (2023), Andrew McCullough (2023), Tautau Moga (2023), Francis Molo (2024), Michael Molo (2023 MO 2024), Zane Musgrove (2023), Cody Ramsey (2024), Mikaele Ravalawa (2023 PO 2024), Tyrell Sloan (2024), Jaydn Su’A (2024), Moses Suli (2024), Jayden Sullivan (2025), Aaron Woods (PO 2023)

Development players: N/A

Who they could target: The Dragons still have five spots to fill in their top 30 and have zero development players at this stage. Anthony Griffin is in desperate need of some enforcers in his pack, with Marty Taupau and Matt Lodge the big name front-rowers on the open market and either would be a welcome addition for the Red V.

Phantom V

Juniors

DRAGONS

2023 Squad: Talatau Amone (2024), Jack Bird (2024 MO 2025), Billy Burns (2023), Jack de Belin (2023, PO 2024), Matthew Feagai (2024), Max Feagai (2024), Tyrell Fuimaono (2023), Ben Hunt (2025), Jaiyden Hunt (2024), Josh Kerr (2023), Blake Lawrie (2023), Zac Lomax (2026), Moses Mbye (2023), Andrew McCullough (2023), Tautau Moga (2023), Francis Molo (2024), Michael Molo (2023 MO 2024), Zane Musgrove (2023), Cody Ramsey (2024), Mikaele Ravalawa (2023 PO 2024), Tyrell Sloan (2024), Jaydn Su’A (2024), Moses Suli (2024), Jayden Sullivan (2025), Aaron Woods (PO 2023)

Who they could target: The Dragons still have five spots to fill in their top 30 and have zero development players at this stage. Anthony Griffin is in desperate need of some enforcers in his pack, with Marty Taupau and Matt Lodge the big name front-rowers on the open market and either would be a welcome addition for the Red V.
I agree. Matt Lodge first pick or both of possible.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

DRAGONS

???
Lui-Toso
Liddle

Maddragon99

Juniors

DRAGONS

There was speculation Klemmer was being shopped around, he still has plenty of footy in him. Whoever is in charge of roster management should be mortgaging the furniture to get him.

2022 average running meters 155
2022 Tackle efficiency 97%

Much better stats than Lawrie or de Belin

SGMax

Juniors
Yes, Klemmer would be good,
also Paseka if rumour is true....just needs to up his involvement and aggression a touch.
Wouldn't mind Luke Thomson as it was suggested Bulldogs were squeezing him out....but been quiet on this lately.

Maximus

Coach
That is without doubt the most infuriating aspect of this situation .

As in the McGregor years , they waited and waited and those seasons were wasted , as was the resources that were put into fielding a team in the competition .

With the exception of Gordon’s daughter , Lancaster and Ben Creagh the board remains the same . We can only hope that the newbies can make a big difference as to how the club operates and as a result the team itself .

So in other words, once you account for Young's replacement, that is nearly 50% of the board changed within a month, plus a new chairman. Sounds like a massive overhaul