What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RLWC Men's Semi Finals

Winners - who makes the final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matua

Bench
Well, tbh, I’m gutted. Fair play to Samoa. England had opportunities. Not sour grapes at all, but surely a semi-final should be extra time, not golden point. Not crying about that, England should never have got themselves into a situation to think past 80. It’s a blow for the game here. But, tomorrow the sun will rise…
Golden point is stupid at the best of times (in regular matches a draw is a result, no need to have a stupid arbitrary way to pick a winner) but makes no sense in a knock out match.

In fact I daresay it's an unprofessional way to determine the result. Amateurish.

In saying all that I'm glad Samoa won.

Clowns in here advocating the biggest annual sporting series in Australia..
in any sport ..
be reduced or wound back in favour of more aussies representing their heritage in mildly interesting games prove how clueless some people are ,
about as delusional as Singaporeans flocking to an NRL side just because we plonk one there..
The international game is a nice little distraction when theres nothing else on , but will have to play 3rd fiddle ... because it is 3rd fiddle.

its what it is

taste2taste

Juniors
That's always a terrible game for NZ as we like time together to build.

Meanwhile you'll have us twiddling our thumbs during Origin which will see us lose players to both the PIs and Origin as they actually get games. 😀
In the old days NZ struggled in a one off tests, Because the games were so lopsided there wasn't much interest. These days it's a different story, either team could win. Only a hair between them.
An Anzac test would be epic and if played on Anzac day would easily fill the new stadium or suncorp.
And ideally there could be an international window during SOO.

taste2taste

Juniors
in any sport ..
be reduced or wound back in favour of more aussies representing their heritage in mildly interesting games prove how clueless some people are ,
about as delusional as Singaporeans flocking to an NRL side just because we plonk one there..
The international game is a nice little distraction when theres nothing else on , but will have to play 3rd fiddle ... because it is 3rd fiddle.

its what it is
Is this Gus Gould ?
SOO ratings have been decling year on year....in 10 years it will be the 3rd fiddle.

Is this Gus Gould ?
SOO ratings have been decling year on year....in 10 years it will be the 3rd fiddle.
1st

2nd

& 3rd ... for most watched programs in Aust this year dopey
192K bums on seats .. 3 sellouts including one in racistball heartland

completely dominated all media space for 6 weeks including plenty down south ... while most Aussies barely know the RLWC is on atm

but please , hang your hat on Aussies pretending to be Samoans & Tongans being way bigger then it in 10 years 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Matua

Bench
In the old days NZ struggled in a one off tests, Because the games were so lopsided there wasn't much interest. These days it's a different story, either team could win. Only a hair between them.
An Anzac test would be epic and if played on Anzac day would easily fill the new stadium or suncorp.
And ideally there could be an international window during SOO.
Who are we going to play? You've given all our competitors three match series. 🤣

Gobsmacked

Bench
That's always a terrible game for NZ as we like time together to build.

Meanwhile you'll have us twiddling our thumbs during Origin which will see us lose players to both the PIs and Origin as they actually get games. 😀
Australia and New Zealand get 1 game. Aspiring nations get three.
Origin isn't Australia in case you haven't noticed?
The eligibility for Origin will soon change so Kiwis and even poms that played football in Australia before age 15 I think can play Origin, then Still represent their country like the Samoans and Tongans have done.
Under this format, the best players are encouraged to play tests instead of Origin .

Wb1234

Referee
I'm not disputing SOO does better figures than Internationals, but because of its success it holds up the International game. There's no room for mid season tests because we have Origin and 26 rounds of NRL.
We are then forced to have internationals at the end of the season when fans interest is low , players pull out needing off season surgery or rest and most players are rusty having had 3 or 4 weeks off while semis are played. This results in some very low quality footy played in front of small crowds, not the spectacle they would be if played mid season.
Nah it will be fine

this World Cup is end of season and it’s getting loads of attention despite games being on at the worst times

nz vs Australia got around 350k watching it live in Australia at 7 am

Matua

Bench
Australia and New Zealand get 1 game. Aspiring nations get three.
Origin isn't Australia in case you haven't noticed?
The eligibility for Origin will soon change so Kiwis and even poms that played football in Australia before age 15 I think can play Origin, then Still represent their country like the Samoans and Tongans have done.
Under this format, the best players are encouraged to play tests instead of Origin .
But even so the bulk of the Kiwis players wont be eligible for Origin and that will mean they sit out three weeks when Oz (via Origin), Samoa and Tongan players all play. We need to find some opposition. Maybe we can have a 3 match against England and France can play the Cooks.

Ps: I'm onboard with what you're suggesting, just with NZ's inclusion.

Gobsmacked

Bench
But even so the bulk of the Kiwis players wont be eligible for Origin and that will mean they sit out three weeks when Oz (via Origin), Samoa and Tongan players all play. We need to find some opposition. Maybe we can have a 3 match against England and France can play the Cooks.

Ps: I'm onboard with what you're suggesting, just with NZ's inclusion.
I get what you're saying. There's an 8 nations at seasons end under my proposal though remember.

in any sport ..

its what it is
Origin survives on the hype you've mentioned in this thread. It's a weaker contest than top notch test footy, and there's Origin players who wouldn't even make the Samoan or Tongan sides.

Qld won 8 series in a row while NZ was winning tournaments. IRL has been a lot more interesting for almost 20 years now.

Gobsmacked

Bench
You know there’s already big club games on Anzac Day ?

it’s not happening
Which should be moved.
That was an epic test we just witnessed! Better than Origin imo .
The rivalry between Australia and New Zealand is on the verge of something truly special. 2 evenly matched neighbouring countries at their the top of the most brutal sport in the world.
Epic.
Club games pfff get out of the way.

Matua

Bench
I get what you're saying. There's an 8 nations at seasons end under my proposal though remember.
But still doesn't help the Kiwis during Origin time when every single other possible team is playing. 🤣

Maybe we can have our own Origin: NZ Maori v NZ PIs. Cook Islanders can be on the Maori team as they're "Maori" as well and Kieran Foran can chose which team he plays for each year. Eventually Luai will play for both teams as well.

Wb1234

Referee
Which should be moved.
That was an epic test we just witnessed! Better than Origin imo .
The rivalry between Australia and New Zealand is on the verge of something truly special. 2 evenly matched neighbouring countries at their the top of the most brutal sport in the world.
Epic.
Club games pfff get out of the way.
Yeh not happening

end of season it is

Status
Not open for further replies.