What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off season 2022-23

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bizarre one happening at Brisbane

Young guy Karl Oloapu, that was skipper of the Junior Kangaroos claims Brisbane made promises to him to sign a 3 year deal with him, that they have then reneged on. Main one being a promised top 30 spot that hasn’t eventuated. He is now saying “I will never play for Brisbane as long as I live”, while Brisbane tell him he has signed a contract

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Newcastle and the Tigers closing in on a Klemmer for Hastings deal

Adam Douehii has reportedly started managing himself and has put a 900k price tag beside his name

BLN2

Juniors
Tigers pack will be looking pretty good next year, especially if they land Bateman. Not sure how they have the cash though, when you have guys like Doueihi and Brooks on big money along with the forwards.

Not sure a team would go for Doueihi at the that amount. A really good player, but for a big bodied 6 I don't think he does enough for your marque guy. I get it, start high and come down. He might get $800k.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Tigers pack will be looking pretty good next year, especially if they land Bateman. Not sure how they have the cash though, when you have guys like Doueihi and Brooks on big money along with the forwards.

Not sure a team would go for Doueihi at the that amount. A really good player, but for a big bodied 6 I don't think he does enough for your marque guy. I get it, start high and come down. He might get $800k.
Klemmer and Hastings swap now confirmed, both players signing for 3 years with their new teams

tigers will be an interesting watch, everyone is getting excited about Tim Sheens, but i remember they way they were playing before they pasted company 10 years ago and it wasn’t flash

JJ

Immortal
By the sounds of it, Hastings and John Bateman hate each other from their time together in Super League and Bateman sounds extremely likely to come

Batemans extreme homesickness must be cured now …
everywhere he goes Hastings seems to get offside with someone

Blair

Coach
For Beave and others interested in the suburban grounds. I was over in Manly the other day and took a swing through Brookvale Oval. I used to work there many moons ago, so I also have a soft-spot for the place.

The field of dreams!:

P1120109.JPG

P1120110.JPG

So many people have gone through these gates:

P1120111.JPG

P1120112.JPG

You're inside and you can hear the roar of yesterday:

P1120113.JPG

A leaden sky suited the reflective mood:

P1120114.JPG

P1120115.JPG

It's definitely not A-Grade facilities, but I love it anyway, as do most other fans I know:

P1120116.JPG

Cliffy and Beaver, it doesn't get any better:

P1120117.JPG

This can never be demolished:

P1120118.JPG

It's emotional! Part two coming up...

Blair

Coach
Part two, Brookie.

The Jane Try Stand, where I worked most days. It had a great view:

P1120119.JPG

This is the flash new stand. From memory this was just another hill back in the '90s/early-00s:

P1120120.JPG

It's 'suburban' alright, sometimes it resembles a building site:

P1120121.JPG

The sneaky bar those in the know always frequented:

P1120122.JPG

The Pittwater Road entry. Most fans had their favourite entry (and exit) point:

P1120123.JPG

The memories!:

P1120124.JPG

The surviving hill always had the best view:

P1120125.JPG

Part three and final part coming up...

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Brookie, the final chapter.

You wouldn't find this at the swanky new SFS:

P1120127.JPG

Beave, I can see the 'Battle of Brookie' now!:

P1120128.JPG

The Hill, looking south. It's mayhem up there on a good day:

P1120129.JPG

Cheers Ken!:

P1120130.JPG

Sometimes progress is good, this is done really well, suiting the ground and its surrounds:

P1120131.JPG

The view from this new stand is fine. I'd rather be on the Hill or in the Jane Try though, just because I know I'd now be stuck at a Warriors game, and only ever seeing the back of them up close!:

P1120133.JPG

Lastly, how fitting, how eerie. A magpie eye-balling me at Brookie. If only I could tell it, 'hey, I never hated Wests!':

P1120135.JPG

I hope you liked it, hey.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Sensational Blair, some great memories here. Here is something you might be interested in, the new Lancaster Park. Haven’t been to see any club cricket there yet and won’t be today as it’s pouring down
8B8FE6A5-F9B7-4775-8D22-8AEAB0C618D4.jpeg838DD502-B306-4194-9886-997766B50A6D.jpeg

really keen to grab these posters for the man cave at some point too, I had so many good memories there

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Sensational Blair, some great memories here. Here is something you might be interested in, the new Lancaster Park. Haven’t been to see any club cricket there yet and won’t be today as it’s pouring down
View attachment 68258View attachment 68259

really keen to grab these posters for the man cave at some point too, I had so many good memories there

So Lancaster is staying as ordinary community sports fields with no stands or anything? I’m surprised it wasn’t sold off to fund the new stadium.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
So Lancaster is staying as ordinary community sports fields with no stands or anything? I’m surprised it wasn’t sold off to fund the new stadium.

yes it is, Lancaster Park cricket club moved back there this season, not sure who the winter tenants are. There may have been something when it was gifted back in the early 1900s that it had to be a sports ground or something, not sure

the imbecile council took the big insurance payout from Lancaster and completely blew it, and the clowns decided in 2016 to delay building it, that decision from Dalziel will cost 500 million, thank god she is gone now

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
yes it is, Lancaster Park cricket club moved back there this season, not sure who the winter tenants are. There may have been something when it was gifted back in the early 1900s that it had to be a sports ground or something, not sure

the imbecile council took the big insurance payout from Lancaster and completely blew it, and the clowns decided in 2016 to delay building it, that decision from Dalziel will cost 500 million, thank god she is gone now
Actually after looking at it’s early history it might also have to do with being built on a swamp- might be unsuitable for building due to ground liquefactio.

Blair

Coach
View attachment 68258View attachment 68259

I love it how the sacred turf is staying. Someone like me can visit Christchurch and then walk across that field knowing what's gone before. My most vivid memory would be the 2nd Test of the '83/84 England Tour.

A dodgy pitch, we score 307 (thanks largely to a blazing 99 by RJ Hadlee) then we roll the Poms for 82 & 93! The two sides played a lot against each other in those days and a hiding like that was just incredible.

There's heaps more cricket and rugby memories of course. Concerts too.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I love it how the sacred turf is staying. Someone like me can visit Christchurch and then walk across that field knowing what's gone before. My most vivid memory would be the 2nd Test of the '83/84 England Tour.

A dodgy pitch, we score 307 (thanks largely to a blazing 99 by RJ Hadlee) then we roll the Poms for 82 & 93! The two sides played a lot against each other in those days and a hiding like that was just incredible.

There's heaps more cricket and rugby memories of course. Concerts too.

My standout would be being there for the Astle 222 from 153, the sound of the ball leaving the bat and then sailing over the stands will stick with me forever. Many great cricket memories there, went to all the Shell Cup and Trophy games in the mid 90s with the amazing Canterbury side

Saw the Kiwis there against Great Britain. Was there the day Kevin Locke wrapped himself around the goalpost on a 3 degree day

Rugby wise, a few Crusaders finals. The fog one included. Canterbury v Counties 1997 final, Cookie Time thought it was a great idea to hand out bags of mini cookies at the gate, thousands of them found the playing paddock. Standout probably early 2000s when Canterbury held the Ranfurly Shield, Wellington hadnt for a very long time and had a lead of 20+ in the 2nd half, and Ben Blair scored after the siren to keep the shield

Always ducked across the road to the dairy who did great food at half the price

Grew up at the place and it is sadly missed