What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The_Wookie

Bench
Revenue increase is irrelevant when we are talking about % of revenue allocated. The higher % allocated to clubs the lower % allocated elsewhere.
Maybe its coming from the cost cutting. or maybe its coming from the $35mill that was missing in grassroots and development funding last year? We will have to see if that money has been put back and increased accordingly as a % of revenue in the financial for this year before we will know for sure

No you were specifically as cited as knowing the "amount" that had been reduced. If it was cited as a reduction in the "percentage" spend relative to revenue thats something else entirely. If revenue increased and costs are cut, then its possible to increase spending elsewhere without reducing the actual amount of spending on grassroots even if the percantage of revenue spend is less.

Was there actually 35m missing in grassroots and development funding last year? It was reported that 40m was "in jeopardy" in March, with it possibly being handed to the clubs instead. Whether this happened or not, we wont really know until the annual report is released.

Wb1234

Referee
I accept your apology. You weren't to know your rambling would be fact-checked, but hey, worth a try I guess.
Nice trolling

no go and write a letter to the mayor of cairns and tell him he’s been a bad boy and you know better for Cairns

Perth Red

Post Whore
No you were specifically as cited as knowing the "amount" that had been reduced. If it was cited as a reduction in the "percentage" spend relative to revenue thats something else entirely. If revenue increased and costs are cut, then its possible to increase spending elsewhere without reducing the actual amount of spending on grassroots even if the percantage of revenue spend is less.

Was there actually 35m missing in grassroots and development funding last year? It was reported that 40m was "in jeopardy" in March, with it possibly being handed to the clubs instead. Whether this happened or not, we wont really know until the annual report is released.

I do know specifically, its in the annual report for 21-22 (in comparison to 2019)
States and Affiliates $12.5million
Development $12.5mill
Community and player development $9.9million

yes thats why I said as % it has to come from somewhere, we have yet to see where in 2022. In 2021 it partly came from a reduction in grassroots funding.

I resent being treated like a second-class citizen. I'm sick of Queensland RL fans being treated like walking ATMs whose sole purpose is to prop up broke Sydney clubs, especially when most Sydney RL fans are braindead hillbillies who show no gratitude.

Sydney has nine clubs while Brisbane has been limited to just one over all but three years since 1988 -- which NSWRL fans try to justify by claiming Sydney has more money and people than Brisbane -- yet when I provide evidence that the Broncos have far more money and people supporting them than any Sydney club could ever attain you say it's because Brisbane's a one team town and Sydney isn't.

All you're doing is proving my point that Sydney has more clubs than it can support. If you're going to argue that Broncos have more money and supporters than the Sydney clubs because it does not compete with eight other clubs within their market then you've proving my point that Sydney is over saturated and needs to be rationalised. No money from the ARLC should be going to Sydney's clubs when the power brokers from the NSWRL/ARLC have used their influence to deprive every other region of Australia and New Zealand from being adequately represented, while puffing their chests about how important Sydney is and how the supporters of its clubs need to be given more weight than everyone else.

I will not invest my time and money on the NRL if the ARLC is going to use it to bail out broke Sydney clubs while treating RL fans outside of Sydney like second-class citizens. You reap what you sow in this world. If the ARLC keeps on giving small clubs from Sydney preferential treatment then it can kiss goodbye to any hope of becoming a national sport.

That's right. Sydney cannot afford to build nine state of the art stadia. Ergo, Sydney needs to be rationalised down to three to five teams, with some sharing stadia. If Sydney clubs wish to play at shitholes "cuz tradition" then they should be told to fund themselves or f**k off. They are essentially running off the riches provided by the Broncos, Storm and Cowboys.

I did this the other day.
The Brisbane Bronco's is why from 1988 to 2022 there was only one team in Brisbane as they didn't want to lose the monopoly they had - If they had it their way they would still be the only club in QLD.

If the Broncos are such a big deal in your eyes how come they don't pack out Suncorp every home game and have 100's of thousands on waiting lists to be a season tickets holder.

Newcorp are the majority owner so they most likely pump up the revenue figures as after all they are listed on the stock market.

Do you actually pay anything though as you can't say paying for tickets to see a QLD team is helping out Sydney teams in any way shape or form as there is no split gates.

mmm calling Sydney siders braindead hillbillies is interesting although your Former PM Rudd has a different view - Mr Rudd was "fond of telling people that once you leave Brisbane and cross the Pine River you can hear the sound of banjo music".

Reflector

Juniors
I resent being treated like a second-class citizen. I'm sick of Queensland RL fans being treated like walking ATMs whose sole purpose is to prop up broke Sydney clubs, especially when most Sydney RL fans are braindead hillbillies who show no gratitude.
And you know this first-hand from years of having lived in Sydney, gone to matches and getting to know RL fans down here on a personal level?

The Brisbane Bronco's is why from 1988 to 2022 there was only one team in Brisbane as they didn't want to lose the monopoly they had - If they had it their way they would still be the only club in QLD.

Read the articles @Captain Apollo listed that speak about the Broncos' formation. They were f**ked over by Arthurson and Quayle, who demanded they pay a $500k entry fee and in return guaranteed them sole representation of south-east Queensland for three years. A week later they brought in the Gold Coast Giants.

If the Broncos are such a big deal in your eyes how come they don't pack out Suncorp every home game and have 100's of thousands on waiting lists to be a season tickets holder.

Because not all rugby league fans in Brisbane like the Broncos. Many RL fans lost their BRL team when the Broncos entered the NSWRL, so there's resentment towards them by older fans.

There's also the fact they play in a second rate competition that bases itself around nine small suburbs from Sydney. People from Brisbane wouldn't be able to locate Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Canterbury, Parramatta, Wests, South Sydney or St George on a map. These teams don't have any prestige in the eyes of most people from Brisbane.

Newcorp are the majority owner so they most likely pump up the revenue figures as after all they are listed on the stock market.

This is bullshit like your claim about corporate hospitality.

Do you actually pay anything though as you can't say paying for tickets to see a QLD team is helping out Sydney teams in any way shape or form as there is no split gates.

If I subscribe to Foxtel I am propping up the NRL.

mmm calling Sydney siders braindead hillbillies is interesting although your Former PM Rudd has a different view - Mr Rudd was "fond of telling people that once you leave Brisbane and cross the Pine River you can hear the sound of banjo music".

Look at the posts on here. People from Sydney with poor English speak emotionally about subjects they don't understand. The average RL fan from Sydney is a houso.

@marshal stalin

Here's the revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality for NRL clubs who provided annual reports to the public on 2021. I provided it for you the other day, but you asked to see it again so I've made it easier to read.
Brisbane Broncos $12.7m

North Queensland Cowboys $8.9m

Penrith Panthers ($7.9m)

Parramatta Eels ($7.9m)

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks ($4m)

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs ($3.6m)

The underlined text brings up the annual reports of these teams when you click on it.

@marshal stalin

Here's the revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality for NRL clubs who provided annual reports to the public on 2021. I provided it for you the other day, but you asked to see it again so I've made it easier to read.
Brisbane Broncos $12.7m

North Queensland Cowboys $8.9m

Penrith Panthers ($7.9m)

Parramatta Eels ($7.9m)

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks ($4m)

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs ($3.6m)

The underlined text brings up the annual reports of these teams when you click on it.

Your not comparing apples with apples - if there were 9 teams in Brisbane the Bronco's would not be pulling in 12.7 mill in sponsorship and corporate hospitality - Ditto Cowboys if there were say 4 teams in North Queensland.

Using your argument then as per the following Sydney Teams( Home and away) have more spectators at their games than non Sydney teams (Home away)

Sydney Teams (Home and Away) - 3,507,264
Non Sydney Teams (Home and Away) - 2,732.710

So in that case Sydney Teams deserve a greater share of the funding than non Sydney Teams as they have higher combined crowds and Rugby League has more FTA and Pay TV viewers in the Sydney market than the non Sydney Market

It looks like Sydney Teams are propping up the non Sydney Teams in that case.

Read the articles @Captain Apollo listed that speak about the Broncos' formation. They were f**ked over by Arthurson and Quayle, who demanded they pay a $500k entry fee and in return guaranteed them sole representation of south-east Queensland for three years. A week later they brought in the Gold Coast Giants.

Because not all rugby league fans in Brisbane like the Broncos. Many RL fans lost their BRL team when the Broncos entered the NSWRL, so there's resentment towards them by older fans.

There's also the fact they play in a second rate competition that bases itself around nine small suburbs from Sydney. People from Brisbane wouldn't be able to locate Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Canterbury, Parramatta, Wests, South Sydney or St George on a map. These teams don't have any prestige in the eyes of most people from Brisbane.

This is bullshit like your claim about corporate hospitality.

If I subscribe to Foxtel I am propping up the NRL.

Look at the posts on here. People from Sydney with poor English speak emotionally about subjects they don't understand. The average RL fan from Sydney is a houso.

I think Brisbane folk would know where those places are - some are regions/areas - i.e St George-Illawarra /Western Suburbs/South Sydney and I am sure there would be supporters of Sydney Teams not only in Brisbane but throughout Queensland

Brisbane BroncosNews Corp Australia (68.87%) BXBX Pty Ltd (9.79%) Lake Morepeth Pty Ltd (6.73%) Others (14.61%)

Looks like the Sydney Folk are propping up the NRL - Higher Combined Crowds and higher viewership(FTA/Pay TV) than Non Sydney areas - quite rightly Sydney Clubs should get the additional funding as a result.

I think you post a lot about subjects you know little about and make sweeping generalisations one has to say.

Iamback

Coach
the answer is always somewhere in the middle though. Could the game be run better? yes of course. Things could also be a lot worse - look at Super Rugby and A League.... A League crowds have been in free fall for the past 6-7 years and the TV ratings are catastrophic. Does Super Rugby even report crowds? AFL has built up a lot of momentum over the last 2 decades and that sport is just incredibly well connected to corporates and government. Not everything is rosy within AFL though with reoccurring racism incidents that are starting to seriously harm the brand, now this Brownlow scandal.

Nailed it

siv

First Grade
Cronulla and Manly will never be anything but small teams with small fanbases. V'landys' decision to reduce funding of junior RL just so he can keep these parasites afloat is a waste of money. Roosters and Dragons could be so much bigger if they weren't competing with these small clubs.
The only club who has a issue in this group is Easts who have no junior RL

Latest posts