What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
If MNF is very marketable, then the NRL needs to get rid of Thursday nights. You can’t have five nights of football. It becomes oversaturated.

The NRL also shouldn’t manufacture more undesirable timeslots for crowds. There has to be a balance, or a happy medium where you have timeslots that suit the broadcasters and timeslots that could attract larger attendances.

On another point, players IMO need a minimum of a six day turnaround between matches. As time goes by, player welfare is going to become a bigger bigger issue.

I don't like players backing up from Origin two or three days later. Although in recent times, coaches are resting their Origin players and are thinking the long game. Coaches don't want tired, broken down bodies in the finals.

Whatever code you follow, we all take for granted the scheduling of a typical round. But aa highlighted in this post, there's more to it than meets the eye.
Won’t raise the tv rights much doing that

it’s about adding more value for broadcasters than we currently do

getting rid of mnf was always a knee jerk reaction

MugaB

Coach
If MNF is very marketable, then the NRL needs to get rid of Thursday nights. You can’t have five nights of football. It becomes oversaturated.

The NRL also shouldn’t manufacture more undesirable timeslots for crowds. There has to be a balance, or a happy medium where you have timeslots that suit the broadcasters and timeslots that could attract larger attendances.

On another point, players IMO need a minimum of a six day turnaround between matches. As time goes by, player welfare is going to become a bigger bigger issue.

I don't like players backing up from Origin two or three days later. Although in recent times, coaches are resting their Origin players and are thinking the long game. Coaches don't want tired, broken down bodies in the finals.

Whatever code you follow, we all take for granted the scheduling of a typical round. But aa highlighted in this post, there's more to it than meets the eye.
6 days minimum, ffs bro
... these guys have the best facilities to get them primed for gameday, they can have a 3 day turn around and not be phased, the one off 5 day turn around would get shared around from club to club, plus 3 byes a season, would be a great way to seed in a few monday night games, then off to the bye, the opposition plays the next sunday, etc.. like scheduling wouldn't be to hard really

Yes,by there own decision. A perfect example of player management which worked for them in the end(sorry @The_Wookie "list' is such an AFL wank word, just like 'flag' that has crept into our great game)

Telling the players and clubs we are reducing your revenue by 30% is never going to fly.
The Panthers had already wrapped up the minor premiership when they made that decision in the last round. If they needed to win that game they wouldn't have done it.

The NRL is not like the NBA where players sit out numerous matches throughout the course of a season.

The only way to improve player welfare is by reducing the length of the season. That will lead a reduction in revenue from broadcast rights and gate receipts. On the flip side, it might lead to better attendances and television ratings.

Steel Saints

Juniors
6 days minimum, ffs bro
... these guys have the best facilities to get them primed for gameday, they can have a 3 day turn around and not be phased, the one off 5 day turn around would get shared around from club to club, plus 3 byes a season, would be a great way to seed in a few monday night games, then off to the bye, the opposition plays the next sunday, etc.. like scheduling wouldn't be to hard really

They may have the better facilities these days, however, players still need more TIME to recover. It is a body contact sport. Also the players won't get three byes a season when team 18 comes in.

Player welfare needs to be a top priority.

Wb1234

Referee
They may have the better facilities these days, however, players still need more TIME to recover. It is a body contact sport. Also the players won't get three byes a season when team 18 comes in.

Nrl players … player welfare is important

also nrl players …. Afl got a larger tv deal than we did they are going to get paid more

From a viewer's perspective the season drags on too long and becomes boring. Shortening the season will make the matches more exciting and offer better value to the broadcasters and sponsors.

Be prepared for @The_Wookie and @Canard to miss the point of our posts and lecture us about the season not being shortened. They don't understand nuance.

Nrl players … player welfare is important

also nrl players …. Afl got a larger tv deal than we did they are going to get paid more

Not everything is a competition with fumbleball. AwFuL could play no more than 16 rounds a season and still get more money than us because the broadcasters value their game more.

Steel Saints

Juniors
As many as possible

afl just increased their season by one round to get more money

nrl players have to either accept lagging the afl tv deal or dealing with five day turnarounds
Like five or six days a week?

If team 18 is Perth, then the NRL is expanding into a new market, another new metro. The NRL doesn't need to increase from four days a week.

Meanwhile the AFL have teams in all five metro markets. Currently the NRL only has teams in three metro markets in Australia. For that reason, the AFL had to do something different in their new deal and are introducing a magic round.

And of course, if the NRL wants to get close to the AFL or even exceed them, then have tender process in place. Put the rights up for bidding in the marketplace. No need to worry about Fox's financial plight.

Wb1234

Referee
Like five or six days a week?

If team 18 is Perth, then the NRL is expanding into a new market, another new metro. The NRL doesn't need to increase from four days a week.

Meanwhile the AFL have teams in all five metro markets. Currently the NRL only has teams in three metro markets in Australia. For that reason, the AFL had to do something different in their new deal and are introducing a magic round.

And of course, if the NRL wants to get close to the AFL or even exceed them, then have tender process in place. Put the rights up for bidding in the marketplace. No need to worry about Fox's financial plight.
Rugby league has teams in as many capital cities as afl

and the fact afl had to add an extra round to get more money tells you what broadcasters will want

I told you players can have their six day turnaround just don’t expect the same tv deal as afl

Wb1234

Referee
Not necessarily, because the AFL actually invests in junior comps and clubs. Not just to get the elite players but to encourage kids to play
No they don’t

Auskick is a load of bs

they were ranked last in western Sydney for junior participation

Nathan Cleary was counted as an afl junior lol

Steel Saints

Juniors
From a viewer's perspective the season drags on too long and becomes boring. Shortening the season will make the matches more exciting and offer better value to the broadcasters and sponsors.

Be prepared for @The_Wookie and @Canard to miss the point of our posts and lecture us about the season not being shortened. They don't understand nuance.
I started following the game when it was a 22 round season. I don't mind if the NRL went back to 22 rounds as the season does drag on and Origin players miss one club game. But I dont know what sort of financial implications it would have on reducing a couple of rounds, although team 18 could help by adding an extra game per round.

The_Wookie

Bench
From a viewer's perspective the season drags on too long and becomes boring. Shortening the season will make the matches more exciting and offer better value to the broadcasters and sponsors.[

No it wont. There is literally no evidence this is true.

I get where your coming from. It doesnt mean its a realistic idea.

And you apparently dont understand either broadcasting or finance or player wages or club funding or a whole bunch of reasons why cutting 1/3rd of a season is the stupidest thing ive seen on this forum

Not everything is a competition with fumbleball.

For you and your mate, this would appear to be bullshit.

AwFuL could play no more than 16 rounds a season and still get more money than us because the broadcasters value their game more.

And if the AFL cut their season by 1/3rd theyd get a shit load less money.

Do they though. By my count they are up 1

NRL - Melb, Syd, Bris, Canberra. (plus 1 game a year in Darwin, sometimes a game in Perth, the odd game in Wellington)
AFL - Melb, Syd, Bris, Adel, Perth (plus 1 game a year in Darwin, 3 games year in Hobart)

and the fact afl had to add an extra round to get more money tells you what broadcasters will want

I told you players can have their six day turnaround just don’t expect the same tv deal as afl

The AFL has a variety of breaks including 5 days, 6 days and 7 days. The number of 5 day breaks is limited by the CBA to one or two.

Not necessarily, because the AFL actually invests in junior comps and clubs. Not just to get the elite players but to encourage kids to play

AFL Players receive about 28% of all club and league revenue. NRL players receive a lot higher percentage - but only from HQ revenues.

Auskick is a load of bs

Auskick is pretty much the model other sports are going for or wish they could go for with funding.

Theres like a whole country outside of Western Sydney.

was he really though

Jamberoo

Juniors
No they don’t

Auskick is a load of bs

His point was that the AFL will spend their extra cash on things other than player wages.

Magic round in AFL (9 extra games) is just temporary until Tasmania enters (11 extra games) around 2027. You can’t add an extra game with an odd number of teams - has to be 22 (24 plus two byes would mean the season goes too far into cricket season when oval stadiums are not available).

We should be looking at reducing the season to 16 or 18 rounds. Origin and Tests to be played at the end of the season. Stuff the broadcasters and work on drawing more revenue from gate receipts and memberships. Create a longer off-season break before pre-season training starts so players can rest.
Out of all the dumb things you posted this is the pinnacle.
no one will cut the comp by 8-10 Rds.
you have to be trolling.
no one can be this stupid .

No it wont. There is literally no evidence this is true.

I've been watching the games every week for 30 years. Games played during the middle of the season have some of the lowest attendances.

You wouldn't know though as you're not a rugby league fan who watches every game.

I get where your coming from. It doesnt mean its a realistic idea.

I didn't say it's likely to happen. It's my opinion in what I believe is best for player welfare and fan interest.

And you apparently dont understand either broadcasting or finance or player wages or club funding or a whole bunch of reasons why cutting 1/3rd of a season is the stupidest thing ive seen on this forum
I already said the broadcast rights and gate receipts will take a hit if the season is reduced, so WTF are you on about with your baseless assertions?

I'm under no illusion that we'll get the same pay as we do now by reducing season, so piss off with your misrepresentation of my position. You're just looking to troll and argue for the sake of it.

For you and your mate, this would appear to be bullshit.

Plenty of other posters on here bring up fumbleball way more than I do. I usually only talk about it when responding to some one else who brought it up.

Out of all the dumb things you posted this is the pinnacle.
no one will cut the comp by 8-10 Rds.
you have to be trolling.
no one can be this stupid .
I never said the ARLC is going to cut the season by 8 weeks. I said it's something we should look at doing so we can have a dedicated period for Origin and Tests at the end of the season, which will make up for the loss of NRL games and help the International game grow.

Not everything is about the NRL. If we want the game to develop in the Pacific then we'll need to dedicate six weeks of the season to Tests so we can have an annual Pacific Nations Tournament involving Australia and New Zealand. In the long-term this will do far more to grow our game than a 25 round NRL season that has no focus on Tests and a six week period where the NRL is weakened by Origin.

Obviously you and @The_Wookie are so stupid you cannot follow a discussion without misinterpreting what's said.

I can understand him not knowing about Tests as he's a fumbleball fan, but what's your excuse?

Latest posts