What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
At his age he should be doing things at speed. He doesn’t, not because he’s scared it’s because he hasn’t got it.

I timed him. During one of his small bomb type kicks to his winger I was able to make an espresso and sit back on the couch before the ball went out on the full.
Don’t be mean mate, you might get put on ignore if you aren’t careful ☹️

Glenneel

Bench
Need to keep Drown (without paying stupid money), young, still improving and a few years before hitting his peak..

Moses is important to our side, but is 30 when his next contract starts. He is very good but probably is close to his peak. He can make “poor” decisions”. Definitely try to keep but wouIdn’t be offering him a million plus like others clubs potentially are….

JA, I rate higher then others do. Yes he aren’t “explosive”, quick half, but is quicker then some suggest. He is going to be a bigger half, so less of a liability in defence. And think he has got good “vision”/playing making skills. Obviously far from perfect and could turn out crap but don’t think he will. Reckon he will be a “Townsend” type half (he never played 20 plus games until 24)

So if Moses doesn’t stay, I don’t think a Drown / JA (another 2 nrl offseasons/more experience), in 2024 is the end of the world….yes it aren’t as good as Moses/Drown…

But it wouId give us $1 million plus to improve the squad….we could use that to target To’o (or another big metre eating winger) and a up and coming fullback who can play centre (maybe Sloan/Lomax/koula) to prepare for Gutho’s retirement…

so while we may lose in one spot we strengthen 2 others…..it’s about squad balance……

yep definitely want to keep Moses, but not on a stupid desperate amount..
Regarding fullback, the young Fijian player from Penrith who played in WC would be my preference. Just as good, if not better, than Suailli? and a lot cheaper I'd suggest.

Glenneel

Bench
At his age he should be doing things at speed. He doesn’t, not because he’s scared it’s because he hasn’t got it.

I timed him. During one of his small bomb type kicks to his winger I was able to make an espresso and sit back on the couch before the ball went out on the full.
You're as slow as him. I prepared a baked dinner including killing and dressing the chook, in the same time ffs!

JokerEel

Coach

Why would you want him to be doing things at speed and possibly making errors?

That's just a dumb comment.

You want him to take his time the speed comes with confidence.

Soto

Bench
TCT are providing weekly preseason updates. Although there are no ground breaking revelations, they are a good read nonetheless.

Wont be long before the first trial.
Have a feeling we will sign another 1 or 2 players for the top 30.

Also good to see the healthy banter continue on here. Although there is a bit of groundhog day. The infrequent visiting is actually a good thing 👍

Soto

Bench
NRL 2023: Brad Arthur’s first interview since Parramatta’s grand final loss

A number of influential figures walked out on the Eels after the grand final loss. So, who steps up? Coach Brad Arthur opens up exclusively on 2023. Plus, their likely Round 1 team.

Eels coach Brad Arthur believes the club’s proven football factory will unearth a new batch of stars to keep their premiership window open.

In his first interview since Parramatta’s 28-12 grand final loss to Penrith eight weeks ago, Arthur has identified the “no names” he says can replace the departures of influential figures Isaiah Papali’i, Reed Mahoney, Marata Niukore and Oregon Kaufusi.

“Our record shows that when a player comes to our club, they improve. And if they do leave, they leave a better person and a better player,” Arthur said.

“Nobody knew Reed Mahoney when we signed him, when Isaiah came to the Eels, no one really knew much about him, and Marata was in that same boat as well.

“So now we have a new group with an opportunity to do the same.”

ON THE EDGE

Pack mainstays in 2022, Papalii, Mahoney, Niukore and Kaufusi played 103 games for the Eels out of a possible 112.

In essence, their impact was immense through their consistency and therefore key to the Eels’ grand final charge. With the quartet moving on to rival clubs in 2023, Arthur has holes to fill – and that has led to anxiety among Eels fans.

However, the head coach pinpointed forward recruit from the Knights Jirah Momoisea (eight NRL games), ex-Raider and Warrior Jack Murchie (40), former Bulldog Matt Doorey (18) and NSW Cup talent Toni Mataele, were at training with the lure of a starting back-row position.

“I told them I need them to be 80-minute players.

“I think they’re off the pace physically at the moment, compared to what our requirements are for a backrower. But that’s a good sign for our club because most players that come to our club don’t match our standards.

“So they’ve been told they need to be fitter.

“With our training, they’ll improve naturally.

“It’s no different to Isaiah and Marata and Shaun Lane, they all had to work when they arrived.’’

POMMY EEL

Veteran hooker Josh Hodgson, the club’s biggest signing, will be fit for round one after missing last season with a torn ACL.

Arthur said his back-up options were Mitch Rein and rookie Brendan Hands.

“In one week, I’ve seen the leadership of Josh and how he rubs off on his teammates,” Arthur said.

“He’s been terrific and he has a playing style that is suited to Parramatta.

“Every year we’ve had blokes leave and I’ve only ever worried about what was next, which is the next blokes who have come to work with us.”

OH NO, MATTO

Lock-forward Ryan Matterson confused the majority of the competition by his decision to accept a three-game suspension for a crusher tackle from the grand final instead of accepting a $4000 fine.

He will miss the Eels’ first three games against the Storm, Sharks and Sea Eagles.
Arthur said he’s got an idea who will cover Matterson’s early-season unavailability.

“We signed J’maine Hopgood from Penrith – he hasn’t joined us (at training) yet, but we’re looking forward to seeing him,” Arthur said.

“He was probably the best player in the entire NSW Cup, he just couldn’t get a run with Isaah Yeo in front of him.

“Like the other guys we’ve brought in, we’re more than happy to bring these guys in and coach them up and get the best out of them.’’

MOSES AND BROWN

The more it drags on, the playing futures of the Eels’ most influential playmakers threatens to develop into the biggest story over summer.

Both Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown are off-contract at the end of 2023, with rival clubs – including the Wests Tigers, Bulldogs and Dolphins – preparing major money plays.

The Eels coach shares a tight relationship with both players and without waxing lyrical, said he hoped both chose to stay.

“Both players are obviously a big part of this team and club, and I would love nothing more for them to stay,” Arthur said.

“They know exactly what I think of them and what we can do together – that’s all that matters.’’

POST-GRAND FINAL

In the aftermath of the Eels’ grand final loss, Arthur took an annual end-of-season holiday to Bali, where he reflected on the season while mapping a plan to go one step further in 2023.

“I’ve now moved on,” he said of the 28-12 defeat. “I’m worried about what is ahead of us.

“(Penrith) were too good for us. And they’ve been too good for the entire competition for the past three years now.

“I was gutted and disappointed in the result. But they played their best, we didn’t.

“I’m proud we got there, but I’m not satisfied.

“I know we’ve got plenty of drive left in us and I’m enjoying the opportunity to have our next wave of players come through.’’

WHAT THE 2023 EELS MIGHT LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO THE 2022 EELS

Guth
Sivo
Penisini
Blake
Russell
Brown
Moses
Brown
Lane
Momoisea
Rcg