What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New centre of excellence

Dragon David

First Grade

new centre of excellence in Wollongong coming soon
Hoping that the DA is approved without too much hassle and construction gets underway as planned. Great for the area and the Dragons NRL men and women and other sports and giving opportunities for the younger generation with so many facilities such as pools, gyms, fields etc.

This CHPC will generate jobs and will help the Dragons become a club for players to be more proud of.

It is great to finally see more progress on this.

Parko1310

Juniors
This is great for the club. However, it Seems everything about the club is centred around Wollongong. Might as well call the team the Illawarra Steelers and be done with St George. Less suffering for us St George supporters as well
Mate come on seriously. We wear the St. George jersey, don't even have the Illawarra one as our alternative. We have the St.George emblem. Everything people see about the club is St.George orientated. It's clear to see the future of the club is Wollongong, but we can still embrace the St.George side through the jersey and through the logo and through the sponsorship and ownership. As I've said before, I'm neither and Illawarra or St.George fan, I'm a St.George Illawarra fan. It's time for St.George fans in particular to stop with this two club bullshit that divides players, fans, management, etc. Thinking logically, the club's future is in Wollongong. Let's just accept that because not only is it clear that's where the club is heading, but it's also what's best for the club.

This High Performance Centre is a great thing for the club. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it being in Wollongong. In fact, that's where it should be. Why get the pitchforks out when something doesn't swing the way of St.George traditionalists. If everything went that way, why not just call us the St.George Dragons again? We have a fine balance right now. What makes me giggle is St.George traditionalists are happy to accept Bud, Amone, Sloan, Couchman's, Webster, Aaron Johnson, Coric, Shereb, Feagai's, Lobb, Doyle, Egan, etc, etc as "our" juniors, yet still want to pretend it's two different clubs when it suits them otherwise. We should be praising the Illawarra side for gifting us with such talent, whilst still embracing both sides of our club's history.

The final thing I'll end on is the attitude with regard to this "two different club" shit is actually detrimental to the survival of the club. In 20 years, if we're playing out of a run down Kogarah and a run down WIN stadium, we will not survive. The roosters have a new stadium, penrith getting a new stadium, raiders have put a proposal forward, western sydney clubs have the state of the art parramatta stadium, cowboys, broncos, titans, dolphins all sorted with decent stadiums. Same with warriros. Currently the Dragons, sharks, manly are at the greatest risk of being left behind in terms of stadia. With us only playing 6 games at each venue per year, and manly and sharks playing all home games at one venue, which clubs are most likely to receive funding for new stadiums? It isn't the Dragons. With the revenue all other clubs will receive from these new stadiums drastically increasing, the Dragons won't be able to compete. They could even sink completely. Kogarah being rebuilt is zero chance of happening. WIN on the other hand, with it's location, can actually realistically happen. As sad as it is, and I will acknowledge that, the Dragons need to leave Kogarah behind. Maybe we play a game a year there or something like dogs with Belmore. But the fact is, our future is in Wollongong and we can't be afraid to go down that path, or we do seriously risk the longevity of the club. Times are changing.

Basically, embrace the Illawarra for what it gives us and embrace St.George for what it gives us. We aren't divided though. This centre of excellence, whether in Wollongong or not, is a great thing.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Mate come on seriously. We wear the St. George jersey, don't even have the Illawarra one as our alternative. We have the St.George emblem. Everything people see about the club is St.George orientated. It's clear to see the future of the club is Wollongong, but we can still embrace the St.George side through the jersey and through the logo and through the sponsorship and ownership. As I've said before, I'm neither and Illawarra or St.George fan, I'm a St.George Illawarra fan. It's time for St.George fans in particular to stop with this two club bullshit that divides players, fans, management, etc. Thinking logically, the club's future is in Wollongong. Let's just accept that because not only is it clear that's where the club is heading, but it's also what's best for the club.

This High Performance Centre is a great thing for the club. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it being in Wollongong. In fact, that's where it should be. Why get the pitchforks out when something doesn't swing the way of St.George traditionalists. If everything went that way, why not just call us the St.George Dragons again? We have a fine balance right now. What makes me giggle is St.George traditionalists are happy to accept Bud, Amone, Sloan, Couchman's, Webster, Aaron Johnson, Coric, Shereb, Feagai's, Lobb, Doyle, Egan, etc, etc as "our" juniors, yet still want to pretend it's two different clubs when it suits them otherwise. We should be praising the Illawarra side for gifting us with such talent, whilst still embracing both sides of our club's history.

The final thing I'll end on is the attitude with regard to this "two different club" shit is actually detrimental to the survival of the club. In 20 years, if we're playing out of a run down Kogarah and a run down WIN stadium, we will not survive. The roosters have a new stadium, penrith getting a new stadium, raiders have put a proposal forward, western sydney clubs have the state of the art parramatta stadium, cowboys, broncos, titans, dolphins all sorted with decent stadiums. Same with warriros. Currently the Dragons, sharks, manly are at the greatest risk of being left behind in terms of stadia. With us only playing 6 games at each venue per year, and manly and sharks playing all home games at one venue, which clubs are most likely to receive funding for new stadiums? It isn't the Dragons. With the revenue all other clubs will receive from these new stadiums drastically increasing, the Dragons won't be able to compete. They could even sink completely. Kogarah being rebuilt is zero chance of happening. WIN on the other hand, with it's location, can actually realistically happen. As sad as it is, and I will acknowledge that, the Dragons need to leave Kogarah behind. Maybe we play a game a year there or something like dogs with Belmore. But the fact is, our future is in Wollongong and we can't be afraid to go down that path, or we do seriously risk the longevity of the club. Times are changing.

Basically, embrace the Illawarra for what it gives us and embrace St.George for what it gives us. We aren't divided though. This centre of excellence, whether in Wollongong or not, is a great thing.
Nah. I’m good mate. I’m happy to continue to want the team to separate from Illawarra and let Illawarra have their own team. I don’t care where players come from either as long as they’re good players. I don’t care if we no longer have access to the cream of the crop in the Illawarra. I don’t care if we play in a shitty run down Kogarah oval compared to a state of the art stadium in Wollongong. One of the most successful and famous RL clubs sold its soul and merged with another team. f**k that. I want my old team back.

Parko1310

Juniors
Nah. I’m good mate. I’m happy to continue to want the team to separate from Illawarra and let Illawarra have their own team. I don’t care where players come from either as long as they’re good players. I don’t care if we no longer have access to the cream of the crop in the Illawarra. I don’t care if we play in a shitty run down Kogarah oval compared to a state of the art stadium in Wollongong. One of the most successful and famous RL clubs sold its soul and merged with another team. f**k that. I want my old team back.
You won't be getting it. Not only that, but they wouldn't survive. If the split ever theoretically did happen (which it won't) St.George would be gone completely in a matter of years, so you'd have your "old team" for 5 years maximum before they'd be completely f**ked. Meanwhile, with the investment and potential of the Illawarra with regard to juniors, high performance centre and probably a new stadium, you'd be watching an Illawarra team flying higher than ever before. Or, you can accept the merger and let the club go forward instead of holding it back by latching onto some 1960's history. I know which one I'd prefer.

justadragon

Bench
I often wonder how the North Syd Bears, and Newton Jets fans are feeling, they just capitulated and have a token team in the KOE cup. I have lived both in Hurstville and the Illawarra, and to me we may not have survived as the Dragons without the merger, there is obviously a bitter pill to swallow on how the merger was conducted, but I cant blame either supporter base for that, I'm happy to support the Dragons as the Dragons as they currently are, I have no choice its either that or not supporting RL at all.

epDragon62

First Grade
If we are competing well and making the finals regularly, even challenging for the big prize, I don't care at all if we are based in Wollongong.

I want to support a successful Dragons club that does have its history intertwined with the great St George rugby league club.

Winning will cure all ills.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
You won't be getting it. Not only that, but they wouldn't survive. If the split ever theoretically did happen (which it won't) St.George would be gone completely in a matter of years, so you'd have your "old team" for 5 years maximum before they'd be completely f**ked. Meanwhile, with the investment and potential of the Illawarra with regard to juniors, high performance centre and probably a new stadium, you'd be watching an Illawarra team flying higher than ever before. Or, you can accept the merger and let the club go forward instead of holding it back by latching onto some 1960's history. I know which one I'd prefer.
Your post was good until you wrote this “watching an Illawarra team flying higher than ever before”…

anyway mate. I’ve had my daily whinge. The new centre is great for the team.

Dragon David

First Grade
I often wonder how the North Syd Bears, and Newton Jets fans are feeling, they just capitulated and have a token team in the KOE cup. I have lived both in Hurstville and the Illawarra, and to me we may not have survived as the Dragons without the merger, there is obviously a bitter pill to swallow on how the merger was conducted, but I cant blame either supporter base for that, I'm happy to support the Dragons as the Dragons as they currently are, I have no choice its either that or not supporting RL at all.
I agree justa.

We are what we are and will remain as such. Provided we can call the joint venture the Dragons, I don't have any problems with most of the club's games being played at WIN.

The thing is none of us would be shitty if we were a club that was in the finals every year and I'm hoping that the day will finally come when the joint venture will be top 8/top4 for some years.

It is up to management to get us there.

By the way, I'm getting the shits to see what the Bulldogs and Tigers are doing particularly the Bulldogs - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7548c93a6ae81274ae73cce2b0244b20. They are making sure that they have all bases covered and it is spend, spend, spend.

justadragon

Bench
I agree justa.

We are what we are and will remain as such. Provided we can call the joint venture the Dragons, I don't have any problems with most of the club's games being played at WIN.

The thing is none of us would be shitty if we were a club that was in the finals every year and I'm hoping that the day will finally come when the joint venture will be top 8/top4 for some years.

It is up to management to get us there.

By the way, I'm getting the shits to see what the Bulldogs and Tigers are doing particularly the Bulldogs - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7548c93a6ae81274ae73cce2b0244b20. They are making sure that they have all bases covered and it is spend, spend, spend.
Totally agree Dave, If we were a top 8 or top 4 side for the last 10 years, who would have cared where we played, what the coach was like, how good our players are etc, We would have been banging on about how great our Dragons club is, and in your face to teams like the Dogs or Roosters etc, instead we are trying to find every excuse and lay blame for how unsuccessful we have been, maybe there is one less reason with the COE now being planned to start.

Dragon David

First Grade
Totally agree Dave, If we were a top 8 or top 4 side for the last 10 years, who would have cared where we played, what the coach was like, how good our players are etc, We would have been banging on about how great our Dragons club is, and in your face to teams like the Dogs or Roosters etc, instead we are trying to find every excuse and lay blame for how unsuccessful we have been, maybe there is one less reason with the COE now being planned to start.
I can only say that the squad of players that we will end up with for 2023 will be giving their all win, lose or draw and you can't ask for much more. Once we have that CHPC up and running in 2025 (I'm anticipating some delays), we will be in a far better position competitiveness wise I'm sure of it.

In 2023 much of the year will be on how Hook is travelling, how the new guys are handling things, how culture and attitudes are amongst the players and management, decisions on who will be the new coach, which players won't be needed, what players we should go for.

In 2024, we will have a new coach (already selected before the end of the 2023 season who will be able to make choices on the new players to get for 2024 and beyond, which players to retain. The younger ones would have had plenty of game time in 2023 so will have gained more experience for 2024. A lot of the older ones will either be in their last year or would have gone and we would be recruiting younger, bigger, stronger guys - I'm hoping - to go with the already experienced younger ones we have retained.

Lots of water to flow under the bridges and some good/bad stuff happening during the time but got to be positive.

Last edited: