What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Farts Memories & Discussions

Das Hassler

Bench
We form a visual impression of posters by ..not too surprisingly ...their posts..and to be totally honest I've never had the sense of having any old guys here...and by old guys I'm talking attitude...not age!. I've met lots of "old guys" ranging from those fresh out of school to those driving everyone nuts at the nursing home.

Remember....first thing straight out of bed....pants THEN shoes!

Das Hassler

Bench
Does anyone remember the colour tests on B&W TV around 1970?
The last gasp of working class Balmain...."My name's Magourley...what's your's ?" Gordon Chater ( sp?)...John Mellion....Noeline Brown and Nancara...can't recall the actor's name

Tigerm

First Grade
We form a visual impression of posters by ..not too surprisingly ...their posts..and to be totally honest I've never had the sense of having any old guys here...and by old guys I'm talking attitude...not age!. I've met lots of "old guys" ranging from those fresh out of school to those driving everyone nuts at the nursing home.

Remember....first thing straight out of bed....pants THEN shoes!
And don’t let the old man in👨🏻‍🦳

Ned Kelly

Juniors
View attachment 69736
And I didn't want to get ripped off and pay $1.18 so I got them on special. The good ole days when u could drop into Big W for some air riffle amo 🙂
I'm guessing Elmo Fudd was one of your favorite cartoons. Allways had a loaded rifle ready. Never did get that waskely wabbit though.

I lived about a kilometer from the Wests Leagues club so a potato gun was about as far as I went.

Tigerm

First Grade
Ah yes, the 70’s, the good old days of sex, drugs & rock n roll (supposedly), long hairs & sharpies, great music (still imo, my kids have discovered this as well), hippies and the prancing religious group (on every corner) in Sydney at least.

The magpies and the tigers, venomous enemies on game day.🫣

Dad down the boozer, while mum looked after us.

21st div would pick you up and take you home and watched as your dad give you a wack around the ears😬

Shit box cars, B&W television, and hot as buggery in summer, no AC in them days.🥵

Going to school with holes in your shoes (my kids still don’t believe this), yep the good old days.

But we lived to tell the tale😂

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Ah yes, the 70’s, the good old days of sex, drugs & rock n roll (supposedly), long hairs & sharpies, great music (still imo, my kids have discovered this as well), hippies and the prancing religious group (on every corner) in Sydney at least.

21st div would pick you up and take you home and watched as your dad give you a wack around the ears😬

Shit box cars, B&W television, and hot as buggery in summer, no AC in them days.🥵

Going to school with holes in your shoes (my kids still don’t believe this), yep the good old days.

Sounds pretty tough. Are you sure you weren’t a Wests supporter?

The Rosco

Bench
firecracker night!!
Being the little shit I must've been . . . I remember one Saturday after playing Enfield Feds, IIRC . . . must have been all of 8 or 9yrs old . . . we had a pack of tom thumbs and casually snuck around the back of the catering tent that was manned(or womanned) by what I now know to be just a few mums helping out . . . anyway, lit the tom thumbs, lifted the back flap of the tent and slid them in. We must've got 15m away before the mayhem started, and I can still hear the shrieks from those poor women today.
Mum was dead against the fireworks. They had sense about them, didn't they ?
Dad was all " I agree with your mum" . . blah blah. One day, he must've been in a devious mood. He summoned me to buy 4 more "thunders" I think they were called. These were the biggest bunger you could buy. Like 3cm across, and 12cm long ? Anyway, dad rigged them up in a large can and packed it with clay. You could hear mum yelling at both of us from the safety of the back door that we're gonna kill ourselves, but it was cool that dad was doing evil stuff with me. Bonding, they call it nowadays. Anyhoo, the super bunger blew 2 good tomato plants down, scared the chickens shitless, and we were both in the dog house for days.
Good times.

At the time, I didn't really know the music of the 60's (no transistors for us kids) certainly got into the early to mid 70's music 'we' certainly had the greatest music and it still is.

We had to walk to school, the darlings now get driven to the corner FFS.
b/w TV with 4 networks only, the darlings now are spoiled for choice,
Newspapers for all your 'news' and sports results, the little darlings get their 'news' from influencer's whatever they are.
Clarence the Clocker on a Saturday morning, kids running crazy at Randwick in the infield for a big day out on a Saturday,
Southerly busters on hot summer afternoons, the sound of summer were cicada's.
The most exotic food was a Chinese dish, even in Leichhardt there were no real Italian restaurants or was that because we didn't trust those eye-ties ?), plenty of cafe's though on Parramatta Rd & Norton Street
And who could forget, hand me downs?

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Anyone remember getting up at 3 or 4am to watch test matches against the poms. My dad would wake me up to watch with him , any other time I'd never be allowed to even be awake let alone watching Telly.
I am a member of this group too. I haven't posted for ages but when I saw this one Macnaz I just had to. Brought back such fond memories of the old man and I watching these test matches. I lost the old man a few months ago but those times were so good. I still claim the 'no try' of Langlands was one of the best 'tries' I ever saw and I am pretty sure we woke the neighbours to boot.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Geezus, I am old enough to remember the 1966 season when the Roosters didn't win a single game, I never thought I'd live to see that record beaten....I think I'll be wrong and we'll match it. What makes matters worse is this season is longer than 1966 therefore we will be considered the worst team in history.....I hope I am wrong!!!