What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Ok. It was a presentation from Andrew Lancaster (Chairman), Ryan Webb (CEO) & Flanno, MC was Jeremy Latimore. Ryan Webb did a brief presetation on the state of play re financials (very healthy) & high performance centre (plans with Council talking with preferred builder, expected to be completed end 2025). We are spending more on the development of juniors than most clubs in the NRL. Then they took questions, some of the highlights I remember are.
- Lancaster assurred everyone despite the press we have a unified Board & they work toward the same goal - future success
- Webb & then Flanno stated they have and are pushing the one club theme & creating the Dragons Way culture on & off the field. Flanno said he has & will continue to spend a lot of time on skills training which he said has not been pushed in the past (to his surprise) but it will take some time to come through, Talked about the players fitness & the fact they lost over 100kg in the off season.
- Flanno embarrassed about last weekend, players didnt follow the game plan & were flat. He said he cant explain why maybe it was a let down from the previous week & Dolphins played very well & played mistake free football but we let them play well & he stated it wont happen again !!
- When asked about Lomax confirmed he gave him premission to talk to other in the off season but nothing came of it. He repeated what was has been in the press he is in our bext 17 but at the moment his best position for the team is on the wing but that may change. A question from the floor commented that his passing ability is not up to standard but Flanno would not comment on specifics but to say he is working with Lomax to improve his game like all of the players. Lancaster said he is strong on players who sign contracts that they should be committed to the club for that period & is not a fan of players breaking contracts.
- Wants to play semi finals this year & believes he has the team to do so (in a far better position than when he took over the Sharks) if they perform & thats his job to get them to perform to their potential. Emphasised how many good juniors we have coming through (such as Egan & also some promising halves) but many are a couple of years off being ready for first grade but he knows he needs some players to strengthen some positions partucularly hooker and a big bopper up front. Said he was very confident of getting AFB but he decided that he was a better chance of winning a competition with the Sharks. Flanno then commented he was very foolish (words to that effect). Whilst there is no one specifically in the market place at the moment or have a contract up at the end of 2024 players become available for various reasons & we will be activly out there if someone becomes available.
- Overall very positive Flanno spoke well & with passion he doesnt like losing & will continue to work as hard as possible to change the players mentality & raise their performance levels to where he thinks they should be.

They were my main take outs, a very positive meeting, if another member was there & I missed any points please add to this.
Many thanks for the report @SAP58 , it is much appreciated.

TheRev

First Grade
Terrell May has his Roosters meeting today to 'finalise' the deal, so I guess we will find out soon if he has signed or is staying open to other options aka us.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
You forgot To’o who is the best and T Turbo may play wing just to fit him in like Hatune
Turuva is also being watched
To'o is a lock for the wing. Surely he will retain his wing spot for NSW. The other spot however is available. Madge contacted Lomax on not Turuva so that is why he may have the inside running at this stage. I rate Turuva, I think this kid is special. If I was NSW coach I would have reached out to him personally ahead of Lomax.

Dragon David

First Grade
I would say that we had Buckley's chances of signing any of these May boys. Taylan and Terrell staying put at the Panthers and Roosters. Panthers likely to win their 4th premiership in a row this year and maybe their 5th next year the way the team is playing and the depth of players they have. The Roosters will be in the top 4 this year and again next year. Why leave?

Yep I think our chance to get either was to get both.. but wasnt to be..
Carayannis said a few weeks back that Penrith were well advanced in their negotiations with both Tago and May, so no other club really got a look in.
Terrell is meeting with the Rooster's management on Monday, with the expectation he will sign a new deal next week.
My understanding was he would either resign or look at look at joining Taylan at Penrith.
We seem to get linked to a lot of players, but expressing interest and actually putting forward a firm offer are two completely different things.
There will be further movement of players in the coming months, with still plenty of money to spend this year we can still pick up at least one good player for this season.

Dragon David

First Grade
Roosters get their man. They will re-sign Terrell May. They were after a strong winger and knew that Dom Young's contract was up at the end of 2023 months before and said to him - "do you want to come to a great club with a great chance to win a premiership". Signed, seal and delivered - no probs.

We might also see potential of someone's contract up at the end of this year. Will we be as successful like the Roosters? They have ways, we have nays.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
There are so many quality players not getting first grade jerseys that would be perfect for us to recruit.. But unless they get the shits and seek/gain permission to negotiate with other clubs... it doesn't help..

Sort of 50/50 on tomorrows result, hoping we can regain some of the respect back we earnt in round 1.

Pretty sure we will go very close to winning, and if anything like last week happens, I'll be watching closely to see who isn't putting in.

thebigredv

First Grade
There are so many quality players not getting first grade jerseys that would be perfect for us to recruit.. But unless they get the shits and seek/gain permission to negotiate with other clubs... it doesn't help..
Exactly what I have said.

There's a couple of things that need to happen for us to get some quality players. The Dragons have to show other players that we are a team and a club on the rise firstly, and then wait for particular circumstances to arise. The opportunities for players looking to get away will come but we will remain bottom of their priorities if we keep repeating Sunday arvo.

I'm starting to think an AFL style draft system with priority picks for the worst clubs, rookie draft and free agents would be better for our sport. Easier to delist. You don't see massive turnover but the spread of good players is far fairer.

mickeylane

Bench
I’ve just come from the Wabbits game and I think they are drinking the same Koolaide as the dragons. Maybe even stronger.
Deep trouble there - burgess announced last year that bad attitudes run rampant within club now Lachlan Ilias dropped but the big 3 untouchable .. Demetriou way too soft .. Seriousjy speaking Crow will bring in a proven coach pretty soon..

denis preston

First Grade
Ok. It was a presentation from Andrew Lancaster (Chairman), Ryan Webb (CEO) & Flanno, MC was Jeremy Latimore. Ryan Webb did a brief presetation on the state of play re financials (very healthy) & high performance centre (plans with Council talking with preferred builder, expected to be completed end 2025). We are spending more on the development of juniors than most clubs in the NRL. Then they took questions, some of the highlights I remember are.
- Lancaster assurred everyone despite the press we have a unified Board & they work toward the same goal - future success
- Webb & then Flanno stated they have and are pushing the one club theme & creating the Dragons Way culture on & off the field. Flanno said he has & will continue to spend a lot of time on skills training which he said has not been pushed in the past (to his surprise) but it will take some time to come through, Talked about the players fitness & the fact they lost over 100kg in the off season.
- Flanno embarrassed about last weekend, players didnt follow the game plan & were flat. He said he cant explain why maybe it was a let down from the previous week & Dolphins played very well & played mistake free football but we let them play well & he stated it wont happen again !!
- When asked about Lomax confirmed he gave him premission to talk to other in the off season but nothing came of it. He repeated what was has been in the press he is in our bext 17 but at the moment his best position for the team is on the wing but that may change. A question from the floor commented that his passing ability is not up to standard but Flanno would not comment on specifics but to say he is working with Lomax to improve his game like all of the players. Lancaster said he is strong on players who sign contracts that they should be committed to the club for that period & is not a fan of players breaking contracts.
- Wants to play semi finals this year & believes he has the team to do so (in a far better position than when he took over the Sharks) if they perform & thats his job to get them to perform to their potential. Emphasised how many good juniors we have coming through (such as Egan & also some promising halves) but many are a couple of years off being ready for first grade but he knows he needs some players to strengthen some positions partucularly hooker and a big bopper up front. Said he was very confident of getting AFB but he decided that he was a better chance of winning a competition with the Sharks. Flanno then commented he was very foolish (words to that effect). Whilst there is no one specifically in the market place at the moment or have a contract up at the end of 2024 players become available for various reasons & we will be activly out there if someone becomes available.
- Overall very positive Flanno spoke well & with passion he doesnt like losing & will continue to work as hard as possible to change the players mentality & raise their performance levels to where he thinks they should be.

They were my main take outs, a very positive meeting, if another member was there & I missed any points please add to this.
Interesting that at all other meetings Haran was present. On the outer like some on here have suggested?

TheRev

First Grade
Souths just played Manly/Broncos/Roosters.. and other than the Panthers, those are probably the Top 4 sides.... i.e. it's nowhere near as bad performance wise as being made out.. but im certainly enjoying their misery nonetheless....

Just wish we could find a way to steal some of their talent.. their NSW Cup team is brimming..

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Souths just played Manly/Broncos/Roosters.. and other than the Panthers, those are probably the Top 4 sides.... i.e. it's nowhere near as bad performance wise as being made out.. but im certainly enjoying their misery nonetheless....

Just wish we could find a way to steal some of their talent.. their NSW Cup team is brimming..

They've looked soo unconvincing. I really think Cam Murray/Coach need to have some hard truths with a few of their players. They need to take total control.