What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

26k is a great start. If we bank on at least:
46k @ Suncorp +
23k @ Mt Smart +
12k @ Shark Park +
28k @ Commbank =
135k from those 5, should be a thousand or 2 more hopefully.

That leaves roughly 65k plus change. Accor, Gong & Gold Coast seem more variable but certainly not impossible for them to get 65k combined. We’ll probably have a fair idea if the record is coming by the end of Saturday night once those 3 have been played, Sunday & Monday games should all be sellouts.
I reckon Accor may pleasantly surprise like tonight, games on a high and people are deciding to go to the footy. Btw bloody Sharks.

State of play on Good Friday Eve in 2023:

1711627812643.png

vs 2024:

1711627848404.png

Lots of similarities with 17 bays down to single seats or limited availability on Level 1 east and west in 2023 vs 18 in 2024.

Big difference is tickets are no longer on sale in the northern grandstand in 2024 vs availability in 2023.

Potential big difference is the impact of Bulldogs members getting reciprocal access to level 4 east (probably bays 401-406 as these are unavailable to the general public?).

Accor Stadium/Ticketek don't allow you to see seating availability in their charts, so it's really difficult to accurately estimate. That said, things are looking healthy and there is a general upward trend in 2024 games vs their 2023 equivalent, so we could be close to that 35k mark again (Good Friday in 2023 drew 35,211).

jim_57

Staff member
Roosters, souths, tigers and dogs are the obvious ones. Play sharks at kogarah as an annual heritage game.

The other 7 at wollongong.

I’d go 9 in Wollongong but that fits with my preference of each team playing at least 9 at one ground. Plus if you play the same big 5 draws in Sydney every year it creates the issue where Wollongong locals see it as being sent “the shit games”, much like Campbelltown with the Tigers.

Dark Corner

Juniors
46k @ Suncorp +
23k @ Mt Smart +
12k @ Shark Park +
28k @ Commbank =

That leaves roughly 65k plus change. Accor, Gong & Gold Coast seem more variable but certainly not impossible for them to get 65k combined. We’ll probably have a fair idea if the record is coming by the end of Saturday night once those 3 have been played, Sunday & Monday games should all be sellouts.
Sharks really letting the side down.

yakstorm

First Grade
46k @ Suncorp +
23k @ Mt Smart +
12k @ Shark Park +
28k @ Commbank =

Don't forget Wollongong. Makes the last 65K a but more achievable considering we should be able to count 12K-16K from there.

yakstorm

First Grade
Potential big difference is the impact of Bulldogs members getting reciprocal access to level 4 east (probably bays 401-406 as these are unavailable to the general public?).
This could definitely make a significant difference between the YoY crowds, as it wasn't in place last year, but was back during the period Good Friday drew 40K+ crowds.

Ticketed Bulldogs members with seats have been able to select tickets from 401 - 412 & also buy additional seats at a discount. GA Bulldogs members will be able to get a ticket in one of the GA bays on ground level.

Arguably there is 40K+ tickets already allocated for this game, between the 10K+ Rabbitohs ticketed members, 10K+ Bulldogs ticketed members, 10K+ Accor Stadium members and general ticket sales. Hopefully with the Easter Show crowd next door creating some walk ups, it easily passes the 30K mark & pushes more towards 35-40K.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Roosters, souths, tigers and dogs are the obvious ones. Play sharks at kogarah as an annual heritage game.

The other 7 at wollongong.
That's a pretty good schedule

The NRL really need to sit with St George and a spreadsheet and project our the next 3 years with a stacked draw and gives them home games at Allianz against the big 4 Sydney teams

It's not fair, but you could easily engineer saints a 25k average at Allianz

T-Boon

Coach
It was a good crowd. It is interesting to note that at these new stadiums the fans are starting to sit at the ends. That is where I sit at Parra stadium and the view is sensational. The rusted in fans are slow to catch on to this and so members all get the lesser seats on the side line.
I truely think the ends are way better to watch the game at now.

Jamberoo

Juniors
It was a good crowd. It is interesting to note that at these new stadiums the fans are starting to sit at the ends. That is where I sit at Parra stadium and the view is sensational. The rusted in fans are slow to catch on to this and so members all get the lesser seats on the side line.
Agree. People get conditioned by TV to think the the sideline view is best.

At Allianz at least, the bronze members are allocated the northern end so it’s not by choice. I personally don’t like it and choose to stand on the concourse at around the 30m line. I can see the far end without having to look at the big screen which is what I do when I’m behind the in goal.

T-Boon

Coach
At Allianz at least, the bronze members are allocated the northern end so it’s not by choice. I personally don’t like it and choose to stand on the concourse at around the 30m line. I can see the far end without having to look at the big screen which is what I do when I’m behind the in goal.
Oh. I haven’t been to Allianz. Maybe it isn’t as good as Parra. Further away or not as high. No problems seeing the other end at Parra.

RedVee

First Grade
At the old SFS there was a cheap elevated area at the northern end in the corners. I used to get a grand view from there as like behind the posts you could see the width of the field and the formation of the teams - where the gaps were forming etc.

I haven’t been to the new one yet for footy.

docbrown

Coach
I’d go 9 in Wollongong but that fits with my preference of each team playing at least 9 at one ground. Plus if you play the same big 5 draws in Sydney every year it creates the issue where Wollongong locals see it as being sent “the shit games”, much like Campbelltown with the Tigers.
There's still a heap of other Sydney teams to play at Wollongong though. Teams are going to come in and out of form over the years, so what is a 'good game' or 'shit game' will shift over time. The point is that you want to build an attendance culture, regardless of form. I mean this is a reasonable split:

SFS games -- Roosters, Tigers, Rabbitohs, + potentially 1 other
Kogarah -- Sharks (or played at SFS)
Wollongong -- Panthers, Eels, Sea Eagles, Bulldogs, + potentially 4-5 others

docbrown

Coach
That's a pretty good schedule

The NRL really need to sit with St George and a spreadsheet and project our the next 3 years with a stacked draw and gives them home games at Allianz against the big 4 Sydney teams

It's not fair, but you could easily engineer saints a 25k average at Allianz
You're right. Honestly, I no longer give a crap about fairness. You will never get fairness in a competition where everyone doesn't play each other the same amount of times. And even if you try, someone will complain about it. It will always be uneven. But what you can do is create a draw and stadium allocation plan that maximises audience interest.

And yes you're right, with reciprocal membership access - Dragons vs Roosters, Dragons vs Tigers, Dragons vs Rabbitohs - they're all 25k (or more) games at the SFS. Similar will happen when Rabbitohs and Tigers shift games there too. And at that point the NRL season crowd averages will remain in the 20k's regardless of team performances.

Canard

Immortal
You're right. Honestly, I no longer give a crap about fairness. You will never get fairness in a competition where everyone doesn't play each other the same amount of times. And even if you try, someone will complain about it. It will always be uneven. But what you can do is create a draw and stadium allocation plan that maximises audience interest.

And yes you're right, with reciprocal membership access - Dragons vs Roosters, Dragons vs Tigers, Dragons vs Rabbitohs - they're all 25k (or more) games at the SFS. Similar will happen when Rabbitohs and Tigers shift games there too. And at that point the NRL season crowd averages will remain in the 20k's regardless of team performances.
This.

No comp in Australia can afford to play in front of 8k just to make the draw seem "fair".

Latest posts