What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Valheru

Coach
You're right. Honestly, I no longer give a crap about fairness. You will never get fairness in a competition where everyone doesn't play each other the same amount of times. And even if you try, someone will complain about it. It will always be uneven. But what you can do is create a draw and stadium allocation plan that maximises audience interest.

And yes you're right, with reciprocal membership access - Dragons vs Roosters, Dragons vs Tigers, Dragons vs Rabbitohs - they're all 25k (or more) games at the SFS. Similar will happen when Rabbitohs and Tigers shift games there too. And at that point the NRL season crowd averages will remain in the 20k's regardless of team performances.
Yep, been saying it for years

Roosters, Souths, dragons and Wests twice a year every year at the SFS.

Reciprocal rights where it is warranted. ANZAC day doesn't need it and I think roosters/Souths is at the point it isn't required either.

This then also allows those teams to take other games elsewhere. Roosters for example would have 3 away games at SFS to sell to their members allowing them to either give more games to central coast where we draw a crowd or be 'home' for magic round or the South island of NZ or wherever.

RedVee

First Grade
As a Saint I’d say our big rivalry games are Souths, Canterbury, Cronulla. ANZAC day is special and both Easts games are good.
Next level.
Wests Tigers are good if we are both playing well but crowds fall when either or both of us are poor. Parra can be like the Tigers, though the new ground (lucky buggers) seems to have raised their crowds regardless.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Broncos vs Cows is a sell out. Ticketek is saying that some single seats are available, but you can't select 1 seat in any category.

Weather is not perfect - a few showers about but shouldn't keep many (if any) away. We should see anywhere from 44-48k. Stadium members are the key!

shewi6

Juniors
Broncos vs Cows is a sell out. Ticketek is saying that some single seats are available, but you can't select 1 seat in any category.

Weather is not perfect - a few showers about but shouldn't keep many (if any) away. We should see anywhere from 44-48k. Stadium members are the key!
If stadium members aren't turning up for a derby game on a public holiday then they are wasting their money on that membership, seriously.

shewi6

Juniors
Is 40k+ possible at accor today? Seems the lower bowl sideline is all single seats left with the end GA unavailable in the north, doggies section unavailable as well.
Level 4 east also selling well and only 3 bays left on sale, with the southern half going to dogs members I believe.
Add in the walk ups from the show too.

Shows the value in building event games that can draw a crowd on its own despite the recent form of the teams involved.

Vlad59

Juniors
Is 40k+ possible at accor today? Seems the lower bowl sideline is all single seats left with the end GA unavailable in the north, doggies section unavailable as well.
Level 4 east also selling well and only 3 bays left on sale, with the southern half going to dogs members I believe.
Add in the walk ups from the show too.

Shows the value in building event games that can draw a crowd on its own despite the recent form of the teams involved.
Potentially 2x 40,000 crowds on one day? When did that last happen?

jim_57

Staff member
There's still a heap of other Sydney teams to play at Wollongong though. Teams are going to come in and out of form over the years, so what is a 'good game' or 'shit game' will shift over time. The point is that you want to build an attendance culture, regardless of form. I mean this is a reasonable split:

SFS games -- Roosters, Tigers, Rabbitohs, + potentially 1 other
Kogarah -- Sharks (or played at SFS)
Wollongong -- Panthers, Eels, Sea Eagles, Bulldogs, + potentially 4-5 others

I’m not sure 7 is enough games to generate much interest in building an attendance culture there or getting a new stand or 2 built. Dragons will play anywhere up to 8 away games in Sydney so I reckon 9-3 is reasonable for home games.

T-Boon

Coach
At the old SFS there was a cheap elevated area at the northern end in the corners. I used to get a grand view from there as like behind the posts you could see the width of the field and the formation of the teams - where the gaps were forming etc.

I haven’t been to the new one yet for footy.
Parra stadium is magnificent like that. At the ends you can read the play like Sterlo in the 80s. You are a play ahead. I’d never go back to the side lines were my season ticket buddies sit.

wgd

Juniors
If stadium members aren't turning up for a derby game on a public holiday then they are wasting their money on that membership, seriously.

They are wasting their money. It's basically just rich people who want guaranteed tickets to SoO and Wallabies games, they don't care that they are overpaying by a factor of 10x +

wgd

Juniors
Ticket sales for Titans v Dolphins look dismal. I was pretty surprised how well their crowds have held up the last few years (particularly the end of the last year) despite being dogshit for their entire existence outside 1 or 2 good seasons.

Looks like the fanbase have finally given up on them.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I agree. Suncorp Stadium memberships are largely held by corporates. Think big 4 consulting partners etc. It's a status thing now and unfortunately a public holiday might make them less likely to come. I've found that Friday nights are their best attending days as they come from the city before heading home. Hopefully they surprise me tonight.

I'll grade them. The general public have done their part by selling out, we totally rely on members. The worst part is that stadium membership is transferrable - they can issue their mates with a ticket to print FFS!
44k C-
45k B
46k B+
47k A-
48k A
49k A+

RedVee

First Grade
There's still a heap of other Sydney teams to play at Wollongong though. Teams are going to come in and out of form over the years, so what is a 'good game' or 'shit game' will shift over time. The point is that you want to build an attendance culture, regardless of form. I mean this is a reasonable split:

SFS games -- Roosters, Tigers, Rabbitohs, + potentially 1 other
Kogarah -- Sharks (or played at SFS)
Wollongong -- Panthers, Eels, Sea Eagles, Bulldogs, + potentially 4-5 others
I have Bulldogs as one of our rivalry games. Neighbours for one thing, plus from what Ive seen over the years this combination has a lot of “mixed marriages”, gf a dog bf a saint, while dogs family except the wife in red n white or vice versa. At least up to my generation and the one after, not sure with the younger groups.
That happens too with the other groups I mentioned, but it stands out to me more with Saints & Dogs.

It was a good crowd. It is interesting to note that at these new stadiums the fans are starting to sit at the ends. That is where I sit at Parra stadium and the view is sensational. The rusted in fans are slow to catch on to this and so members all get the lesser seats on the side line.
I truely think the ends are way better to watch the game at now.
I`ll remember that. Bought a flat about 20 minutes walk from CommBank last year for my sons to live in, planning on seeing a lot more games there starting Parra vs. Cowboys next month.

I agree. Suncorp Stadium memberships are largely held by corporates. Think big 4 consulting partners etc. It's a status thing now and unfortunately a public holiday might make them less likely to come. I've found that Friday nights are their best attending days as they come from the city before heading home. Hopefully they surprise me tonight.

I'll grade them. The general public have done their part by selling out, we totally rely on members. The worst part is that stadium membership is transferrable - they can issue their mates with a ticket to print FFS!
44k C-
45k B
46k B+
47k A-
48k A
49k A+
You`re a hard marker Teach, an F used to be 49 % and you jump straight to a C at 88 %. What`s in between.:sweat: