What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Religion and it's effect on the Sharks.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Sutho_Sharks said:
Ruthless on the field is all that matters, his personal life isnt anyones business. Besides, Stevo is by no means a 'normal' christian, hes abit extreme in the way he abides by all the values.

This is where it is evident you have never been part of an organisation like a football club or been involved with a collision based , physical sport.

Sutho_Sharks

Juniors
No, I know what your getting at, and its not restricted just to football, how about every team based sport virtually! Do you really believe though that he acts like a christian nut 24/7 off the field? i doubt it, and thats all that matters, after training etc, he can do whatever he wants in his own time.

Frenzy.

Immortal
In what has always been somewhat cyclic the balance of power always comes back to De La Salle. Other clubs have at times held the balance of power for short periods but De La always comes back over the top. Gymea was probably the most recent to have some power, they still have a little. Cronulla Caringbah, on and off, held a lot of power.

Most of you people would have no idea of the De La versus the rest battles that used to go on in Junior League. I myself wasn't even allowed to play for them because my old man hated the politics of it and was actually heavily involved with the old Taren Point. This despite me going to De La for school. Now there's nothing religionist about that as old Dad was himself a product of the catholic education system being from the famous Marcellin Bros Randwick school. He just didn't like the politics of it and still doesn't. Despite some 20 years in the CSDJRLFC he never became a Sharks fan. Couldn't ever do it. Even now he sits and watches a game and marvels at how NOTHING has apparently changed with the Sharks.

De La have money, numbers and power. A significant proportion of the club itself are not even Catholics. You don't need to be anymore. They accept players from anywhere and kids in the school only have to meet the qualifications, one of which is NO LONGER being a tyke. There are also strong De La ties from the executive Committee of the CSDJRLFC and the board of the Sharks. Long serving President of the Junior League, Bob Gorick passed away recently, it's entirely possible the next President will come from De La Salle - thus strengthening that bond again.

So it's not strictly a religion thing. It's more about power and money. Of course the age old argument about the Catholics being rich can be inserted here at any time and probably will be.

None of that is designed to defend. The reason is that I think the district club is in a very unhealthy position. When you have this sort of near monopoly in a club you virtually have a whole lot of "yes" men. Very few differing idealogies. Very little input from other areas and an enhanced feeling of power amongst the chosen due to the unmitigated support from having peers fishing off the same jetty.

That's not easy to bust up.

It's fine if it works. At the Sharks it doesn't. At the 'Dogs under Bullfrog it did. But Bullfrog and B Pierce are not comparable individuals.

Now onto the "Christians". I am another that finds it intriguing that they have to self publicise so much. What's the insecurity with that? Who are they telling, the poor bored ears that are listening or themsleves?

Our jails are full of "Christians". They are no different to anyone else despite so often taking the high moral ground. To me the vocal ones, the ones who "ram it down people's throats" are no less fanatical than the Muslims or any other extreme group. They may be ideaologically different but so many of them still seem to want everyone to be like them.

I agree with reefy about Stevo. I think Simmo will follow the same path. I've rarely seen Stevo get angry on the footy field. The one time that sticks out was when Simmo was dropped on his head. Why? We've had others dropped on their heads that haven't seen the big man get as riled.

Simmo is patently too soft. Is that his basic makeup or is that a result of his Christianity?

They are not the only ones. Galloway is in there - another seen as soft. The Samoans we have.

Christianity or character?

Combination?

Neither?

I favour the concept that it is a combo. I think one potentiates the other. If you are already a soft gentle person Christianity may well make those traits more apparent and vice versa.

I think having too big a group like that is detrimental. I think the much publicised prayer session is detrimental. Why does everyone have to even know about that?

Is this actually splitting? One group off for a prayer and the other eating raw meat? Must be hard for a club to truly promote unity when one group brazenly takes itself out of the mainstream. We have one group fit to kill and the other wishing goodwill on all men. One lot fighting back, the other turning the other cheek.

Is there room for the Christians in the team? Of course there is. But it should be tempered and they should be footballers who are Christians NOT Christians who are footballers. Simmo's article still sickens me from a footballers perspective. You can't win comps with attitudes like his.

sharknows

Bench
I would be interested to see a list of local juniors over say the last 10-15 years who have played 1st grade and what junior club they came from - has anyone any idea where to get such info?

SirShire

First Grade
Another tangent on it all.

John McGuire - ex-Sharks player, and DLS Cronulla principal up until the start of this year... Connections???

maxpower3000

Juniors
God Bless you all
60.gif
51.gif

Frenzy.

Immortal
sharknows said:
I would be interested to see a list of local juniors over say the last 10-15 years who have played 1st grade and what junior club they came from - has anyone any idea where to get such info?

If this is a serious enquiry it's easy. Just ring the secretaries of all the junior clubs and ask for the names. All clubs keep these records.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Is there room for the Christians in the team? Of course there is. But it should be tempered and they should be footballers who are Christians NOT Christians who are footballers. Simmo's article still sickens me from a footballers perspective. You can't win comps with attitudes like his.

Spot on Captain!

SirShire

First Grade
Not too many, most weren't from around here.

Off the top of my head-

DLS: Dykes, Simmons, Mark Capelin

Cron-Caringbah: Aitken, Hilder, Dallalana

Paul BELL 1990-94 Engadine Dragons
Colin BEST 1997-02 Engadine Dragons
Mark CAPELIN 2001 De La Salle
Gavin CLINCH 1994-95 St John Bosco
Glenn COLEMAN 1984-94 Cronulla-Caringbah
Adan DYKES 1994-01 De La Salle
Andrew ETTINGHAUSEN 1983-00 De La Salle
Paul EVANS 1992-94 St Patricks
Wade FORRESTER 1994-00 St John Bosco
Nick GRAHAM 1992-94, 96-02 De La Salle
Brent GROSE 2001 Menai
Mitchell HEALY 1988-00 Engadine Dragons
Andrew HICK 1990-95 Engadine Dragons
Brett HOWLAND 1996-00 Gymea
Sam ISMONGER 1997-02 Como-Jannali
Robbie KEARNS 1989-95 Engadine Dragons/St John Bosco
Martin LANG 1996-01 De La Salle
Garry LESTER 1991-93 De La Salle
Nathan LONG 1991-01 Cronulla-Caringbah
Jye MULLANE 2002 De La Salle
Andrew PIERCE 1993-96, 02 De La Salle
Stuart PIERCE 1992-01 De La Salle
Michael PORTER 1983-90, 92-94 Engadine Dragons
Chris QUINN 1989-94 St Patricks
Aaron RAPER 1989-95 De La Salle
Mathew ROGERS 1994-00 Engadine Dragons
Sean RYAN 1991-01 St John Bosco
Ben SAMMUT 1993-98 De La Salle
Luke STUART 1997-01 Sutherland-Loftus
Stuart TOPPER 1988-94 Miranda Magpies
Dean TREISTER 1993-99,02 De La Salle
Alan WILSON 1986-91, 94 De La Salle
Ben ZAMIT 2001 De La Salle

Also add to this at least Williams (CronCaring/Yarra), Aitken(CC), Hilder(CC), Simmo (DeLa) from the last few years which arent included.

Above from CSDJRL website.

more likely it's croneyism than christianity that's the problem. the christian message can be interpreted to develop a strong warriors ethos as much as humble servants. you don't have to be a dirty player to be a tough player and i think that's obviously the goal of most of the religious players in the nrl and indeed most players regardless of spiritual beliefs.

depends on the individual i guess but anybody would find it hard to get too far in a professional sport if they had a problem with wholehearted competition. if they interpreted their faith that way then they belong somewhere else, but i reject the idea that faith has been a negative factor in the career of stevo or other religious players

-------------------------------------------------------------

carinashark said:
christians, de la players , and aborigine's to keep us from winning a premiership!!!!!!

Oh dear !

Joes Milk Bar

Juniors
editing nthcronullalocal's list to the de la players who played more than a handful of games in first grade
NthCronullaLocal said:
Adan DYKES 1994-01 De La Salle
Andrew ETTINGHAUSEN 1983-00 De La Salle
Nick GRAHAM 1992-94, 96-02 De La Salle
Martin LANG 1996-01 De La Salle
Andrew PIERCE 1993-96, 02 De La Salle
Aaron RAPER 1989-95 De La Salle
Ben SAMMUT 1993-98 De La Salle
Dean TREISTER 1993-99,02 De La Salle
Alan WILSON 1986-91, 94 De La Salle
not a bad list, can't see the great conspiracy

Booyah

Bench
Sideline Eye said:
no, no ,no guys....religion isn't the cause of our recent form, nor does it cause a wedge between the players..but what I'm saying is that quite possibly because of the De La Connection, junior players from that club might get a little bit of favoritism when given a go in grade.

That's a good point, but it happens at alot of other clubs too. At Souths for instance, it's a well known fact that Mascot kids will always get special treatment with regards to junior reps and so forth because alot of the people in charge are all ex Mascot boys themselves.

Quint

Juniors
Religion prominant in The Cronulla Sutherland Sharks and No premierships to this date
Proof! There is no God!!!!

White Poiner

Coach
wat about all those premierships by the saints. There may be a god, oh yeah the dont exist anymore. Maybe that rules it out.