What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 (2005) Raiders Vs Souths

roosterboy60

Juniors
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Canberra Raiders v South Sydney Rabbitohs[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Game Thread
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts will result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Home team captain will be allowed 3 reserves, visiting captain will be allowed 2 reserves
Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp
[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Full Time:Wednesday 17th August at 9pm (Syd time)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Venue: Bruce Stadium
ground_bruce_1.jpg

Crowd: 10,680
REFEREE: Antonius
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]**Referee Blows Game On!**[/font]

greeneyed

First Grade
GE playing for the Raiders

“Just what you would expect from rugby league...”

I have read this so many times – every time another one of those scandals erupts in the media. The scandals that have beset the NRL in the last couple of years. The scandals that involve excessive drinking, staying out late, and other much more disturbing behaviour.

It turns up in the learned columns of a Peter FitzSimons or some other union journalist. “Just what you would expect from rugby league… It wouldn’t happen in rugby… We know how to show respect for ourselves and others… Just one more step towards the demise of league and the domination of rugby in Australia.”

Yet, the criticism of rugby league from these sorts of circles recently reached a whole new level.

Following the well reported misbehaviour of a number of Australian rugby union players on the Wallabies recent South African tour, the opposition Springboks coach, Jake White, blamed the whole thing on “the rugby league element” in the Wallabies team.

"I probably shouldn't say it, but I will ... maybe it's a rugby league thing,” he said. “It's not a rugby union thing… I mean you read things about league guys, don't you? Here we have an ethos developed through the school and provincial system…”

"League is very different to union. League guys have a different make-up. Maybe that's why so many former Wallaby players have been so vocal... they realise it's not the way rugby union players would act."

It’s ironic that rugby union has gone to such lengths to trade on the name rugby league players they have signed over to the Wallabies – Rogers, Sailor and Tuqiri – to promote their game. Yet as soon as there are signs of trouble, they are now a detested “rugby league element”.

But of course, we know that it is not just ex-rugby league players who are on the ARU books and who have misbehaved. For a start, the sacrificial lamb from the “South African incident”, Matt Henjak, was brought up through the “union school”. This is not to mention the many union players who have had “problems” – quickly covered up – in recent years.

This coverage of the Wallabies’ woes in South Africa has only brought the divide between the two rugby codes into even sharper relief.

Union has an air of superiority that dates back to the beginnings of the last century. It has its origins in the split into amateur and professional codes – the union players were gentlemen, from good schools, well-educated, turning out for “the love of the game”. The professional league players were working class, had grimy motives, and playing just for the money.

You would think that a century later, such divisions might have disappeared? Especially as rugby union itself became blatantly professional?

Not on your life. Just look at the comments of Jake White in the year 2005. The old school ties and class ties are just as important today as they ever were. It is the ex-league players bringing disgrace on their gentlemanly sport. It could never be their own.

There is another difference between the codes. According to the rugby union media, there is almost never anything wrong in their code. Yet, a rugby league journalist loves a good scandal. In union, they do their best to pretend a scandal has never happened.

But, times are changing. It inevitably comes with the march of professionalism.

Union has some way to catch up to league. But it is coming. The media scrutiny is intensifying. It is why the ARU had to admit something did go wrong in South Africa. And they had to deny the claim that it had anything to do with the “leaguies” per se.

It has to do with young football players having a lot of money and time on their hands.

It affects all sports in the early part of the 21st century. Yes, even rugby union and AFL too. Some of the misdeeds are a little overblown in the media. One too many drinks and staying out late may well be inappropriate, but are not the worst offences. Other misdeeds – and they have emerged in every code – have certainly been a very serious problem.

But instead of blaming the league, union or AFL “culture”, you have to look to the culture of modern professional sport.

And all codes have to work to overcome the negatives that come with the benefits that increasing professionalism brings.

Shame, Jake, shame.

(750 words including title)

Pistol

Coach
The mighty Rabbitohs take to the field. Game faces are on. CHARRRRRRGE.

Rabs
Terracesider
Nqboy
Dogs Of War
Olympic Park

Pistol (c)
Robster

Dogs Of War

Coach
Dogs of War takes the ball up for the first hitup for Souths

Your on Report! Off for 5!

One of the great things about Rugby League is that the rules of the game are always evolving. Video Referees, 40/20 kicks, 10-metre rule and unlimited interchange rules have really changed the game. However, there are still some areas of the game that need immediate attention.

The one that really gets my goat, is that a player can commit a foul and be placed on report. In most cases, other than the penalty that is blown against the team, no other penalty is imposed against the player. Rather, that is left for the judiciary during the week to determine the punishment. Thus rewarding subsequent opponents, rather than the team that the foul was committed against. Moreover, the player that the foul was committed against can be left in a state in which they are not 100% that could last for a few moments in the match or for the rest of it.

This is an area in which we could look to introduce an old rule that Rugby League used to use, the 5-minute sin bin. If a foul is committed and thought to be serious enough that it needs to go to the judiciary then an automatic 5-minute sin bin could be enforced. It is not as if we do not have the technology to do this. These days we have the video referee who is able to checkout an incident on the fly and use his better judgment if the foul is deserved of being placed on report. It is currently used in this manner, and ultimately, if a foul is that bad, players deserve to be punished for their actions instantly.

That said, sometimes it looks worse on video when only a few angles are available to look at when time is of the essence. Obviously, we do not want to be waiting 5 minutes for the game to restart while the video referee views multiple angles time and time again to determine if the player deserves to be placed on report, we get enough of that with video referee try decisions these days. So as an alternative, we could have the player that committed the foul be forced to interchange off the field of player. This interchange would cost double the normal interchange, as it needs to penalize the team correctly, and also take into account that the player may have been ready to be interchanged already. If the limit of 12 interchanges is reached by this occurrence, then the team would have to continue with 12 players for the rest of the match.

This one rule change could really change the momentum in matches, in either of the guises I have proposed. Players would be more aware of situations in matches which could forced them off the field for 5 minutes, such as not going as high when attempting a ball and all tackle, thus reducing the chances of a head high tackle.

All in all, it is a rule change that the NRL need to explore the pros and cons of. In this day of instant gratification, it is surprising that we have to wait until next week for a player to receive his proper penalty. In addition, we only have to look to sports such as Ice Hockey who already have a system where players who commit a foul are put in a “Sin Bin” to see how effective it can be. I can see the day crowds will once again be able to shout “Off Off Off” and cheer as the player leaves the field of play, and once again know that justice has been served!

Word Count 610

thickos

First Grade
thickos runs on for the Raiders in a clash that could potentially claim the minor premiership. The Green Machine won't die wondering in this one...

+++++++++++++++++++++

A Horror Story

It all happened so fast. Yet my memory can recall every horrifying moment, seconds seeming like minutes, minutes seeming like an eternity.

It was on the cards before the match – after all, my team and our opponents have a history that dates way back, through grand finals to the proximity of the areas we represent. The media now declare us mortal enemies, praying on the sensationalism that sells papers and the fear that drives our irrationalism. In the ‘good old days’ however, the rivalry began and ended on the field – the game would finish with thousands of kids streaming onto the pitch while opposition fans sunk beers together, recounting the great spectacle they had just witnessed.

How times have changed, with police checks, metal detectors, barbed wire. You’re more likely to be spat on by an opposition fan rather than have a beer with him. Last time we met, all their security measures came to nothing anyway – the criminal element found a way around it, testosterone and alcohol-fuelled idiots throwing haymakers in the stands. Kids witnessing grown men, wearing the very jersey they cherish, sullying it with their pathetic version of ‘club pride.’

It’s driven the families away, the fear that pervades the crowds at games now. Will those kids ever return to the football? Feel safe and comfortable, able to cheer on their beloved team without a care in the world? Their absence has made it even worse – the only ones left in the stands are the ones ready to start something, and the ones willing to put up with it. So in I filed, through the gates, along with the idiots ruining our tradition, starting their own hideous one.

The stakes were high that night, two teams on the cusp of the eight. We were ahead in a ferocious contest, and a late field goal sunk the opposition. The elation was written all over the faces of our fans – not only was the game a classic, but we had emerged the victor.

The chanting from our fans intensified in the dying minutes. The game was ours, and, like a rallying war cry, the song went out. Another foe overcome on the march towards glory. Scarily, it did seem like a war. The friendly edge of the game was gone – you either vanquished your opposition, or they did it to you. The edginess amongst the fans, the sheer hatred that other people displayed towards you, purely on the colour of your jersey, only added to it.

Our opposition was beaten on the field but their boys in the stands had not given up in their ‘game.’ As the final siren echoed around the cavernous surrounds, it was overshadowed by an even more imposing noise. A bright light, a fizz, an explosion. Chaos emerging from the opposition’s Army. Smoke, screaming, crying.

The force of it knocked me off my seat. An eerie silence descended as the ringing in my ears transformed into a temporary deafness. It drowned out the screams of the terrified masses, yet nothing could silence the horror in my head. Burning embers falling, debris scattered everywhere, the sensation of thousands of stampeding feet powering towards the exit, the concrete below oscillating as they made their concerted dash to safety. A second explosion followed, and then darkness.

I awoke informed I was in a hospital bed, labelled one of the ‘lucky ones.’ The second explosion was, according to the news reports, part of the grandstand foundation collapsing due to a strategically placed explosive. Eight were reported dead, hundreds were in hospital. All manner of burns, cuts, people trampled in the chaos to escape. I was alive, but I didn’t consider myself lucky at all – the doctors told me I’d lost my sight. Staring vacantly through eyes that couldn’t see, I thought of all the things I’d never be able to see again.

My loved ones.

My friends.

Football.

I was never going to be able to watch my beloved team again. Never going to see the promising halfback in reggies everyone was going on about. Never going to see our captain hold the premiership trophy above his head. Never going to experience the simple joy of sitting on the hill on a Sunday afternoon, beer in hand, and watch the football.

I never asked to be part of this war. I never wanted to become a victim. All I wanted to do was see my team play.

++++++++++++++++++++++

749 words including title.

paulquinn49

Bench
paulquinn49 for Raiders

++++++++++

Supernanny in the NRL

Face it, the referees in the NRL today are soft and let a lot of things slide. The players, coaching staff and supporters have got used to seeing things let go that would have been penalised in days gone by. Now they don't even raise the eyebrow of the modern day referee. I don’t know who is to blame. It is very easy to point the finger and blame someone.

Perhaps the players pushed the referees to the point where the game would draw upwards of 50 penalties if they were strict. Of course, if they did blow 50 penalties - even if warranted - they would be sent packing to Premier League, with hate mail, never return to the NRL again.

Maybe the pressure comes from the referees' boss Robert Finch, who encourages a fast, action game.

For all I know it is the referees - they may be lazier and less aware of the rules.

Anyway, something has to be done. Someone has to stand up and help the NRL on both sides. Players and the referees.

As George Bush once famously said “I have an idea” - much to the disbelief of the general public.

My idea is simple. The NRL wants to clean the game up and it wants ratings. Simple, bring in the Supernanny - Jo Frost.

In her show, she turns once dysfunctional families into what a family should be. She investigates the behaviours of the children and parents and comes back with suggestions and techniques the common gutter rat (normal people) wouldn’t even dream of. Much to the disbelief of the family and viewers at home, she manages to conquer the most difficult of families and still comes out looking 3% sexually appealing in the process.

These are results the NRL should wish to have one day. Supernanny is the person who can change the NRL.

I propose she be flown out to Sydney… in economy class, so she can help poor people on the flight over, for a small fee of course.

When she arrives in Sydney, she will be taken to NRL headquarters to study games and behaviours of all involved.

The next week she will attend a game of NRL football and watch the first half from the stands. When halftime comes around, she will go out into the middle of the field and remain there for the rest of the match, observing and taking notes.

By the time the next round has rolled around, Supernanny will be ready to assist a referee for the entire 80 minutes. During this time she will give friendly advice and suggest changes - changes the referees and players must abide by unless they want to be deregistered by the NRL.

The game is a clash between the Tigers and Roosters. We are in the 52nd minute and Michael Crocker has been penalised for swearing at Stephen Clark.

Stephen Clark: I just penalised you for your language, there was no need for it.

Michael Crocker: Yeah but…

Supernanny: *Interrupting* Michael you have been very nawt-ee. Apologise to Stephen.

Stephen Clark: I’m waiting.

Supernanny: Don’t push him Stephen.

Stephen Clark: I’m sorry.

Michael Crocker: *Tearing up* I’m sorry too.

Stephen Clark and Michael Crocker hug. As a stand at Leichhardt Oval collapses, play continues. A situation that could have blown up is now nothing more than a moment of madness. Any grudges or unfair treatment has no time to build, as Supernanny diffused the situation.

It is now the 75th minute and Stephen Clark is under pressure as the Tigers may have scored a match winning try. He goes to check with the video referee, Mick Stone.

Stephen Clark: Yeah Mick, just check the onside and grounding.

Supernanny: Aren’t you forgetting something? We must say “please” Stephen.

Stephen Clark: Look I’m under pressure, I haven’t got time for this now.

Supernanny: Stephen…

*Stephen Clark throws a tantrum, drops to the ground while screaming and crying.*

Paul Whatuira: Is he serious?

Robbie Farah: Make him stop! I’m going to rub his back until he stops.

Supernanny: That’s what he wants boys. Go back to your team mates, he just wants attention. He will get tired soon.

*4 minutes later, a tired, frustrated Stephen Clark rises back to his feet.*

Stephen Clark: Hi Mick, how are you? Can you check the onside and grounding please?

Mick Stone: Anything for you, Stephen.

Stephen Clark: Thank you very much Mick.

Supernanny, please help the NRL!

++++++++++++

750 words including title

terracesider

Juniors
Terracesider: Souths.

The House That Murphy Built.

Alex Murphy is one of the most famous names in the history of Rugby League. In collecting a full set of available trophies, his feats on the field for St Helens, Leigh and Great Britain made him a legend in his own lifetime, a legend reinforced by successful coaching spells with Leigh, Wigan and St. Helens. However, here I am concerned to record a lesser known success of the great man’s career: as coach of Huddersfield between 1991 and 1994.

In 1988, Fartown (as Huddersfield RLFC is known by the fans) was in a mess: bottom of the 2nd Division with a few amateurs making up the team; being thrashed by all and sundry in front of crowds of about 300; and the chairman wanted rid of the club. Although many people in the town could reel off the great Fartown sides of the 1950s they could not name one single current player and most did not seem much bothered whether the club lived or died.

Then a new board took over. Over the next three years they made only limited progress but they did stabilise the club. Under a steady procession of coaches, by 1991 we had progressed from whipping boys to mid-table 3rd division mediocrity in the RFL’s new league structure. Then we heard that the board wanted Alex Murphy as coach. Hardly anybody took the first reports seriously. It would be great but, realistically, why should one of the greatest figures in the history of the game want to come slumming in the basement? Anyway, Murphy turned up as a guest at an early season Yorkshire Cup game. By half-time we were 10 points down and being played off the park by a poor York side. . Murphy was persuaded to give the team a half-time pep talk in which he reportedly told them to just play basic rugby. He obviously made an impression because they went out and blasted York off the park with 28 unanswered points. Such was the impression the performance made on Murphy that he took the coaching job and so began the best year of my, and I suspect many other fans’, rugby lives.

After a month or so just watching and learning, Murphy cleared out the players he did not want. For the rest of the season, we lived the dream. Memories of the nightmare days of 1988 were swept away in what to we fans seemed an inexorable progress towards the 3rd Division Championship. Suddenly the club was no longer a joke in the town and gates increased at least ten-fold. We knew that we were winning so easily not so much because we had better players but because of the demands Murphy made on them for a total effort over 80 minutes. One example of the standards demanded by Murphy remains indelibly imprinted on my mind: his bawling at a player who missed a tackle, even though we were about 70 –0 up at the time.

Murphy did two more seasons with us and made us a force to be reckoned with in the 2nd Division. In 1992-93 we finished 3rd and missed promotion by one place, not bad given a dreadful start to the season in which we lost probably at least 7 or 8 games as Murphy rebuilt the side. By now the club was well enough regarded by the RFL to get a fixture as part of Australia’s warm-up for the 1992 World Cup Final; the game produced the winning score line from which the occasional Huddersfield fanzine Fartown 2 v Australia 0* takes it title.

A return to the top flight seemed possible in 1993-94, especially after setting a new club record by winning the first 10 games of the season, but even Murphy could not counter boardroom feuding and debt running into hundreds of thousands dollars and in 1994 he left the club. But his legacy still remains. Without the Great Man’s contribution we would not have so quickly become a respected force in RL and would not have been able to move into a modern ground as part of a then unique partnership with the local authority and Huddersfield soccer club. And without that, we would never have got into the ESL. That is why, even a decade later, I still see Huddersfield Giants competing for a top 6 spot as The House That Murphy Built.

*With 71 minutes to go. (It ended 2-66).

[748 words]

Pistol

Coach
(Rabs post by proxy)

Rabs for The Bunnies

Teenage Whiz Kids

There are so many youngsters coming to notice in the big league these days. The talent scouts spot them so early nowadays that it’s hardly noticeable when a teen appears in the top grade. Go back 20-30 years and it was more of a novelty to see a teenager starring. Well wow, aren’t there a few around at the moment, Benji Marshall, Sonny Bill, Karmichael Hunt and Buddy Gordon to name just a few. I heard Phil Blake on the radio a few weeks back and I was reminded of the Teenage Whiz Kids that I have seen in my time of watching league. Phil was one of the best I have seen so let’s start with him.

Phil Blake, one of the good guys. A Manly Junior who actually left Manly to come to Souths! Phil came on to the the scene at 18 years of age and scored 25 plus tries in his first season and backed it up the following year with at least 20 more. Blakes trademark was the little chip ahead and chase, he scored quite a few from that play.

Peter Sterling, dragged from obscurity at 17 years of age to play for Parramatta in a semi final out of position at fullback. Sterlo didn’t cement his place until a year or two later but what a talent and what a feat to make your debut in a semi. Sterlo went on to become one of the greatest halfbacks to play the game. Sterlo wasn’t speedy but boy was he smart. This guy was ‘quick between the ears”.

ET, the shark. Andrew made his debut at 17 also and impressed with his graceful running style, speed to burn and impeccable hands. He improved his defence later on to become an immortal out Cronulla way. I’ll never forget seeing ET kick whilst on the run - a perfectly good pass that was thrown to him. The kick was so well controlled that ET was able to regather and score. I think he scored 5 tries in that very game. A silky player indeed.

Brad “The Wizard” Izzard. This Panther debuted at 19 and made State Of Origin for the Blues after only 6 or 7 games. A powerful runner Izzard also possessed a skilful kick and chase but the guy was so chunky he usually just went straight over the top of the opposition. Injury robbed him of a Kangaroo Tour in his debut season.

Timmy Brasher was playing First Grade for the Tigers at 18 and played in a Grand Final as a teen. Tim was an instinctive footballer and went on to play many games for the Blues in origin.

Jim Serdaris, Jim who you say? Well Jim was a major find for the bunnies in 89 when we won the Minor Premiership. Coach George Piggins promoted the unknown to the top grade at 17 years of age and he handled himself really well to be the rookie of the year in the competition. Jim is one of those rare birds in playing first grade at 17 as a forward. Who’ll ever forget his left foot chips over the top to regather!

There’s another bunny from that era that played the top grade at 17. Paul Mellor played the top grade for Souths while still representing in the Commonwealth Bank Cup schoolboys competition. A feat not matched by many.

Greg ‘Brandy’ Alexander played just one game in reserve grade at Penrith and the coaching staff and everyone else knew he was too good. He never played there again, going on to carve out an illustrious career that included a premiership and playing for his country. Greg seemed to glide over the grass and his jinks and swerves were so smooth that even the most capable defender would be left grasping at thin air.

Kerry Boustead was one of the best teenage talents you’ll ever see. “Bowie” was a will o’ the wisp who had this weird running style in that he looked like he was jumping up and down as he went along. It made no difference as the boy could motor and certainly knew how to finish. Kerry is also one of those Queenslanders with the dubious honour of having represented NSW and Queensland in the interstate clashes. That’s gotta hurt a Queenslander having that on the resume!

729 words including title

IBG puts a big hit on his opposition, in an effort to fire up the Raiders to bring home the minor premiership...

--------

That Very Special Day

The rain is pelting against the windows of the team bus.

You look outside and can barely see across the other side of the road, and you hope like mad that it's not an omen for your side in today's extremely important game.

You look across at your teammates sitting around you to study their various activities.

Some are reading the newspaper. Some are fast asleep. Then there are others, like yourself, who are just staring out the window, deep in thought. They're most likely thinking about today's game - dreaming of the big hit they'll put on, or imagining the intercept they'll take to score the match winning try.

The bus turns the corner, and you can see the stadium in the distance. You look at the ground in awe, still not being able to comprehend why you're here and what you're doing. The lights are turned on and they shine brightly through the dark and gloomy weather, even though it's just after midday.

The bus pulls up near the players' entrance, as you quickly get to your feet and grab your sports bag which houses all your gameday equipment. You look around and notice one of your teammates is still fast asleep, not even aware that they've arrived to their point of destination.

"Bloody prop" you mouth quietly. You whisper it quietly because you're the five-eighth, and that 'bloody prop' could beat you within an inch of your life if he wanted to. You gently nudge him and point to the stadium, as he wakes from his slumber.

You get off the bus and run for shelter as quickly as possible, trying to avoid getting wet and cold. As you do so, you notice that a large group of fans have gathered near the stadium already, despite kick-off not being for a few hours. There is a buzz in the air like no other, because you know today is a special game.

You walk in the dressing room door, and notice most of your teammates already unpacking their bags. You pick your own cubicle and set down your gear - but unlike your other teammates - you don't unpack or start to get changed. Instead, you simply sit down, close your eyes, and enter a trance-like state.

This is your pre-match routine.

You're about as nervous as Michael Jackson in front of a predominantly white jury.

You always get nervous before a game, you can't help it. You should probably try to eat something, but then again you might bring it up all over yourself, which wouldn't be a good look. You've always wondered how some of your teammates are able to joke around or relax by reading a comic book before a game. It's almost as if they're not respecting the game, but you know that's a lie because of the performances they always put in. You wish you could be like that.

But today's game is different. There's a more intense feel to today's game, and so there should be.

Months of hard work and preparation have led up to this game. You've put in dozens of hours at training every week. You've practiced your tackling, passing and kicking games to a point where you can't tackle, pass or kick no more. You've often come home and collapsed on the couch, not being able to stand up for at least an hour. You've gained bruises, cuts, bumps and scratches from every single day you go out on the footy field, but it's all a part of the game you love so much.

You just realise that you're so lucky to even take part in a game such as today's.

You're facing the best team in the competition, and most in the know are tipping them to win the Grand Final.

Can you prove them wrong? Can you show the nay sayers that they should have tipped your team?

"Fire up boys, this is the day we've worked so hard to get to!" the coach yells, and his words break you out of your own little zone.

You look around at your teammates, and you realise it's time to get dressed to play.

You can't believe the time is finally here, on this very special day.

It's only the first game of the season, but to you, every game seems like a grand final.

--------

732 words including title.

nqboy

First Grade
There Just Don’t Seem So Many Champions Around These Days

Can’t remember what year, but sometime in the 80s, RLW brought out a special edition listing the Top 40 players in the World at the time. Now, I can’t remember all the names, but I do remember thinking how blessed we were to have so many out-and-out champions gracing our game.

Many times since those days, through the 90s and into today, I’ve reflected that I just don’t think we have the champions in the game that we had in those days.

It must have been early to mid-80s as I seem to remember Steve Rogers (one of my favourites) was included and I think he finished in 1984. Anyone with that issue in their archives is welcome to correct me but I think I remember several very good pommies who came over here and proved their class in the best comp in the world, despite the regular hammering their national side was taking at the time. Guys like Joe Lydon, a flying fullback/wing/center and the only man I ever saw make Garry Jack, unparalleled in defence among fullbacks in my time, look silly when he put an in and away on him after breaking clear from inside his own quarter in a test one day. “Chariots” Offiah – well, he was always quick, couldn’t tackle for sh*t, but unsurpassed for his brilliant finishing. Lee Crooks, the last of the genuine old-fashioned ball-playing pommie forwards. Kevin Ward, whose toughness added the steel and laid the foundation for Manly’s 1987 GF win and deserved the Man-of-the-Match award at least as much as the brilliant and enigmatic Cliff Lyons. Gary Schofield, another mug who couldn’t tackle but geez, was he a try-hound.

And then there were the Australians. Lewis, Meninga, Miles, Lindner, Belcher, Shearer and Steve Walters from Qld and any number of wonderful players from the evil empire in the deep south. The likes of Parramatta’s Cronin, Grothe, Steve Ella, Kenny, Sterling and Price, Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb from the Dogs, the Balmain champions Jack, Pearce, Sironen, Roach and Elias, the Canberra connection of Lazarus, Stuart, Daley and Clyde., O’Connor, Rogers, Ettingshausen and latter day champions like Harragon and Fittler, who took the Blues to dominance in the 90s. The list just goes on and on.

Look at my current Australian side with everyone fit and firing: Minichiello, Rooney, Lyons/Tonga, Gasnier, Sing, Lockyer, Johns, Kennedy, Hindmarsh, Mason, Ryles, Buderus and Luke Bailey. The wingers don’t even compare with the likes of Grothe, Shearer or O’Connor. Lyon or Tonga don’t rate with Miles, Kenny, Daley or Roger, whoever I choose there. Lockyer, for all his attacking genius, can’t match King Wally’s brutal defence and ability to inspire his side at 5/8. I don’t even rate Lockyer, the best fullback I’ve seen, a 5/8 the equal of Kenny, Daley or Fittler, who all had the ability to turn it on even when their pack was being outplayed. The back row, as good as they are, can’t match my big three of Fittler, Tallis and Lindner, and Clyde can’t even get a jersey. Ryles, despite being my ideal combination of build size and skill for a prop, and Bull Bailey are good players, but they’re not Lazarus and Harragon. And for those who admire Buderus, he’s not a patch on either Walters or Elias.

So, out of the current side, Mini’s as good as most fullbacks but it’s not a strong field and he doesn’t rate with Locky if you play him at fullback. Gasnier in his current form ranks with the best, Johns at half and that’s it.

Looking through the club sides and listing the players who meet the criteria for such a RLW publication if it was done today: Brisbane – Lockyer, Webcke, Thorn, Civoniceva, Tate. Cowboys – Bowen, Sing, Thurston, Ra, Lod . The Dragons have an all-star line-up – Gasnier, Barrett, Bailey, Timmins, Hornby, Cooper, Ryles, Thompson. Roosters – Morley, Fitzy and Mini. Dogs – another strong roster. O’Meley, Mason, SBW, Anasta. Newcastle – Joey, Buderus. Canberra – Smith certainly, Schifcofske possibly. Parra – Hindmarsh, Riddell. Penrith – Wesser, Lewis, Rooney, Gower, Campbell, Waterhouse, Priddis, Ross, Clinton (how did this side go so poorly this year?). Tigers – Hodgson, Benji, Prince, Skandallis. NZ – Price, Jones, Faumuina, Melbourne – Orford, Smith, Slater, King and Hill. Manly – Kennedy. Souths – Sutton, Harrison. Cronulla – Kimmorley, Vagana.

That’s 56 players, without the foreigners. Given I started by arguing that the champions were gone and the game’s not as good as it was, that’s very encouraging.

skeepe

Immortal
skeepe takes it up for the Raiders against his former club
------------------
Reflections of the Broken-hearted

Standing alone on the beach, he takes a moment to reflect. What once held so much promise now holds nothing but disappointment. The wind is howling, lashing his face with drops of water – or are they his tears, shed as he wonders what might have been? Yet this is not a new feeling for him. Year after year, he comes to his special place and follows this exact routine. It may be at different times during the year, but always the same. Sometimes, just maybe, there is a hint of pride in his eyes – not all was lost, although it may as well have been. Not this time though. This time the feeling was worse than most, because this year had held so much more promise than the previous years. This year would be different, he had assured himself, this would be the year when the destiny was fulfilled.

It had started well enough, and everything went stunningly to plan for the first few weeks. Things were finally looking up. That optimism he shared with a select few others seemed to be bearing fruit. Spirits were high. But all too quickly, the wheels started to fall off. Some good men were lost, and things took on an all too familiar feel. Yet still he battled on, never giving up hope, always keeping the dream alive. A bad patch, he would say, nothing to worry about: they’ll snap out of it soon enough.

This blind optimism carried him through the middle stages of the year. Things were not as bad as before, but there was still no recovery. If this was to be their year, they would have to do it the hard way. As the weeks went on, the hope slipped further and further away. This isn't how it was supposed to be. More good men were lost, some unfairly, always unluckily. Few of them would return, not this year.

His friends all thought he was crazy. “Not a chance” they would tell him. “You’re dreaming.” Like the trooper that he is though, he would not relent, he would not give in. Nobody would stop him following them. They were his team, and he would support them to the very end, through the good and the bad.

As the year drags on, he realises what he already knew: this year is no different to the last. What once seemed so full of promise now is nothing but another year of contemplation and sadness. There will be no happy ending this year, not for him. Instead, the pain of watching his friends as they celebrate their inevitable success. Some will over-achieve, and some will no doubt end up feeling just as bad as he does now, albeit a little later in the piece, when their expectations have been raised even higher.

As another unsuccessful year draws to a close, he begins to question his faith. It has been so long since the year did not end this way, a far cry from the good old days when expectation was met with delight, joy and excitement. But this is the life he has chosen. He knows only one way, and no matter how disappointing each year may be, he has to stay strong. The good times will eventually come, and when they day he will be able to look back on years like this and be able to truly appreciate them for what they are. He was too young to appreciate it last time, a mistake that he will never make again.

Now the year is gone, and once again he is left with nothing but memories. Memories of those times when spirits were high, and things were looking great. Memories of how it all came crashing down, when all but a glimmer of hope remained. Memories of how that hope was brutally wiped out. One slip up, one poor performance, and it was all over. Yet he never stopped cheering, never stopped hoping against hope that the impossible could happen.

Now he has but 5 short months to recover. Wipe away the tears, old man. This one is done but there is another yet to come. When February rolls around, he will be there, flag in hand looking resplendant in his bright jersey, ready for another year. Another year of expectation, or another year of disappointment? That's all part of the fun, for he is a rugby league fan, and the game has just begun.

-------------------------
750 words, including title

olympic park

Juniors
Olympic Park takes one final lunge at the line for Souths with just a few seconds on the clock. The ref decides to take it upstairs and all nervously wait...

---------------

What If…

An interesting question we’ve all asked ourselves more than once I’m sure.

What if I did that differently? What if I had gone after that girl I liked? What if I do take the day off work? What if Bill Harrigan hadn’t sent that controversial decision in the infamous 1999 grand final upstairs to the video? What if the referees actually got every decision right in a match? What if Newtown wasn’t so controversially kicked out of the competition back in the 80s?

The answer to these we will unfortunately never know. History has a habit of being there so we can hopefully learn from our mistakes, or try not to make the same error the next time around. But the mind does wonder from time to time doesn’t it?

Many are aware I’m sure that Melbourne will be hosting a ‘state of origin’ match in the near future. And there are northerners out there absolutely livid about this decision, and at the same time there are locals who are savouring the thought of seeing the most physical spectacle in our game played right in our own backyard. Whilst it is good to see that the powers-that-be in our great game are looking out to the development and future success of the code in relatively unchartered territory (namely the state of Victoria), many questions still remain. What if these decisions had happened earlier on in the piece? What if the NRL openly supported and financially helped its Melbourne team the same way the AFL props up its Sydney and Brisbane teams, and done so for many years? What if NRL was shown more on free-to-air television to bolster support for the game? What if from day one the public weren’t forced to watch the game in second-rate facilities at the now dilapidated Olympic Park? What if the crowds were more encouraging to see on television when there is a match at Olympic? What if rugby league was given a fair go in the Melbourne media?

What if Victorian Premier Steve Bracks had given this speech at last week’s announcement rather than the one he did make?

“Ladies and Gentlemen,

How fortunate I am to be here today amongst people I should really know a lot better. Please accept my apologies if I have to ask your name; I know this wouldn’t happen in the northern states, but for a long time in Melbourne we’ve been too busy keeping our own little game alive rather than paying attention to anything else. So when other sports do arrive in our city, we previously became very defensive of or our own game rather than welcoming others.

I’ve never embraced rugby league before: I suppose I have tried to be the ‘Mr Popularity’ during my reign here in Victoria… also known as Mexico to those of you north of the border, and to keep sway of the local voters I have followed what they are ordered to follow. My eyes have been opened, and I realise the propaganda and hypocrisy associated with Victorian… oops, I mean Victorian… sorry, done it again, Australian Rules football, and in this, the self-proclaimed sporting capital of the country, we should have more than one code of footy.

Some of you know our local code as aerial ping-pong – non-contact keepings off played in sleeveless jerseys sums up our game better, and gives slightly better reference than a form of table-tennis. And yes, the code has no problem rewarding mediocrity by giving ‘points’ when players miss ‘goals’. It is my hope that rather than trying to convert the northern states to Victorian rules, that Victorians become accepting of rugby league. The sport definitely has its attractive points – it’s a fast, hard-hitting game with plenty of attitude and skill. Sorry – did I say Victorian rules again?

It’s also time to open up the media. The Melbourne Storm (along with other football codes to a lesser extent) will be given the opportunity it has so long deserved in the media. Its little things like this which will help the code grow in this part of the world and its time league gets a fair go. Thank you.”

What if any of the above happened – surely the entire course and development of rugby league in Victoria would change after that comment?

I know a speech like that would never have been made, but… what if?

-------
Official word count: 738 Words

antonius

Coach
I’m on holidays at the moment, so hence the early scoring.

Raiders Scores

greeneyed
“Just what you would expect from rugby league...”
750 Words
An interesting view on what causes players in all codes, and sports for that matter to step over the line of what’s acceptable, and what isn’t. The piece touches on the percieved superioroty of the class of players from one code to another, and points out that in fact the problem exsists in all of them.
Well put together
Score 87

thickos
A Horror Story
749 Words
Is this what we can expect in the not so distant future? A not too unrealistic look at what could happen if the violence at games were to escalate.
Score 87

paulquinn49
Supernanny in the NRL
750 Words
Have to admit, I found his amusing, the solution to all our refereeing woes. If only it were so simple eh?
Score 85

I Bleed Green
That Very Special Day
732 Words
Good descriptive piece of writing, with a twist at the end.
Score 87

skeepe
Reflections of the Broken-hearted
750 Words
A piece on the initial hope for a season, and how, more often than not it all comes undone.
Score 85

Raiders Total 431

Souths Scores

Dogs of War
Your on Report! Off for 5!
610 Words
A look at rule changes, the writer suggests one that would see players visit the sin bin for foul play. There would be a few pros and cons for this suggestion, and it has been bandied around before.
Score 85.

Terracesider:
The House That Murphy Built.
746 Words
A really good read this one. It’s great to read about successes that are not all about winning premierships, or being the best in the world, but more about what quality people can do with the barest resources. Interesting and well written.
Score 89

Rabs
Teenage Whiz Kids
729 Words
Solid piece on the teenage stars of yesterday.
Score 85

ngboy
There Just Don’t Seem So Many Champions Around These Days
766 Words
It’s hard to compare champions of other eras. A piece suggesting there arenot as many champions today as in years past.
Score 84 minus 5 point word count penalty.

Olympic Park
What If…
738 Words
Yes you’re dreaming. A piece on what might be done to make the game stronger in Victoria.
Score 84.

Souths Total 422

Result: Raiders 431 defeated Souths 422 MOTM Terracesider:

thickos

First Grade
Wow, thanks for the awesome turnaround Antonius.

Great game, really high quality, I'm glad the point penalty to Souths didn't decide the result. Well done both teams.

To my Raiders boys, it looks like we've jagged the minor premiership!! Well done on a great team effort all season. Rest up, the finals await.

Bad luck to Souths on missing the finals, all the best for 2006.

rabs

Staff member
congrats raiders and good luck in the semis
well done to the bunnies we got 5 posts in every single game this season
special congrats to terrace on another great read
thanks to ref antonius

Pistol

Coach
Congrats to the Raiders on the win. Thanks for the quick marking Antonius. Much appreciated. Well done to Souths, 5 in for every game, very happy to be playing F7's with you. Congrats again to Terrace for another brilliant performance.

We wont be in the finals this year, but we will be back.