What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are we saying goodbye to GB?

griff

Bench
screeny said:
Would you rather all the development that's been done in the HNs and Ireland be scrapped, or greatly reduced, as the volunteers there believe they're wasting their time?

We owe it to the sport of RL to embrace as much development as possible, and by sticking with GB we will ostracise the HNs. Look at the Irish league, 13 clubs and growing, the Welsh league as won the RLC for the past three years, and the Scots do so much foreign development touring work.

If these countries were told 'sorry, we're sticking with GB' they'd pack it in......

Do the volunteers think they are wasting their time at the moment because the GB side is in place?

We can have both like we have done for the past 60 years - a test playing GB side, and home nations competing separately at European championships, world cups and tour matches.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
SalfordRedsWA said:
Its a completely rediculous idea and hope pressure causes it to be abandoned. GB is my nation, not 'england' or 'Wales'. I for one would protest.

You haven't met many Irish have you? or Welsh or Scottish for the matter.

The RL "Lions" are one of the biggest farces in world sport outside of northern England no one even cares about them even though they "claim to represent all 4 British nations" gimme a break.

I for one can't wait to see the day homegrown Welsh, Scottish and Irish get the chance to take the field for themselves representing their country, in their colours, singing their national anthem.

griff

Bench
Phoney MX said:

The RL "Lions" are one of the biggest farces in world sport outside of northern England no one even cares about them even though they "claim to represent all 4 British nations" gimme a break.

I for one can't wait to see the day homegrown Welsh, Scottish and Irish get the chance to take the field for themselves representing their country, in their colours, singing their national anthem.

You must have missed the European Nations Cup then??

The RL "Lions" have been the "Lions" for nearly 100 years, well before the RU "Lions" took that name. They have also had Welsh, Scottish and Irish players throughout their existence. Dave Valentine, who held aloft rugby's first World Cup in 1954, was Scottish.

However currently the GB side consists entirely of people (bar one Irishman) who would also be eligible for England. So the content of the team would be pretty much the same and it is really a choice of packaging - should they be branded as the Lions or England? Since the Lions brand is much more valuable, why would they go for the England brand?

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Griff I know that the RL Lions have been around longer, but that doesn't change the fact they are a poor excuse compared to the RU Lions who actually select(what they think anyway)are the best players from all 4 nations.

Sun_Down

Juniors
IMO they should break them up after the next Tri Nations. And have Lions tours as special events. This is a priority in my view.

griff

Bench
Well, you're sort of right, but the RL Lions also select the best players from all 4 nations. Just at the moment (since RU went professional) there aren't anywhere near as many good players from Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
griff said:
Well, you're sort of right, but the RL Lions also select the best players from all 4 nations. Just at the moment (since RU went professional) there aren't anywhere near as many good players from Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

The point I'm trying to make is more from a fans and grassroots level if I'm a young Welshman who am I more likely to support? a team made up mostly of local players with maybe a few ex-pats or a team made up of nearly all english masking as a fullblown british side?

I don't think the Lions should be put in the coffin but they should take a back seat to the local nations and maybe tour annually.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Phoney MX said:

Dont talk utter sh*te! I for one having an Irish surname maybe qualified to comment as I did.
Ireland is a seperate nation to the UK so let them just like any other country do their own development work!
For you to say "RL "Lions" are one of the biggest farces in world sport", must be a typical biggotted Aussie who thinks NRL is the God of League! Get a brain!
NRL is a great comp and Australia Roos are a good side. Maybe you lot ought to split Australia up into NSW, Qld, WA and for those States to become the equivilent to England, Wales etc???

I take it your personal opinion is that the UK sovereignty should be given up for EU beaurocrasy as well? :roll:

upbonk

Phoney MX said:

Say's who? Until you show that you know more about our sport, might I suggest you learn to hold your tongue, at least, before spraying tosh all over my screen. Thank you.:lol: