What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5: Newtown V Easts

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
Bluebags Vs Roosters

Game Thread

Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles). Any other posts will result in loss of points.

Referee: Tamazoid

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Full Time: Wednesday 2nd July, 2003. 9:00PM AEST

ozzie

Bench
Roosters team is as follows:

Lord Reynoldson
Ozzy (c)
Penelope Pittstop
Brook
The Backpacker

Reserves:

Roosterboy
Roostargirl

Mick ‘Barry’ Crocker – The Wind Beneath His Wings

Mullins,B_congrat_2092802_small.jpg

This was a very special interview for me. Being my first, and thankful Mick took the time to speak with me. Allow me to present to you, a young man, who as the song ‘Barry’ sings, has the Wind Beneath His Wings.

Although, a naturally confident person, I admit to feeling nervous ringing Mick. But I girded my loins, put on my most professional voice, and acted like I spoke with Roosters Players as part of my daily activity.

I began by asking Mick how his day was. He had arrived home from the Gold Coast, had enjoyed a few 'quiet' ones over the weekend, and was spending a very relaxed day at home. Mick is a quiet unassuming guy, I felt he was a bit nervous as well, but as we got to know each other over a few laughs we both relaxed.

P.P: On behalf of all Roosters Supporters, a huge thank you, not only for the GF effort, but putting it together throughout the season, ensuring you were instrumental in our 2002 Premiership Win.

There was a pause, he quietly and humbly replied with some surprise in his voice ... “THANK YOU”! I had to ask what he thought Justin Hodges best sledge was. When Mick retires from Football, I suggest he become a Diplomat.

MC: “I never hear his sledges”, he added with a really hearty chuckle, “Ask Anthony, he'll know”.

PP: “What was your personal motivation in achieving success this year”?

His response was heartening and down to earth. He spoke about crippling injuries he had sustained throughout the season. That his real motivation was to prove that he could come through it, prove that he could still handle playing in First Grade, but most importantly was the fact that he had to EARN his spot.

MC: “To me winning the GF was beyond emotional description, having said that, I wouldn't like to see Players resting on the Laurels of a GF victory”.

PP: "What part of your game will you be working on in the future?" By this stage Mick and I were feeling comfortable talking and chatting, and the passion with which he spoke while answering this question, caught my breath.

MC: “Because of the injuries to my quads, attack and speed are my priority. My aim is to be running full strength it’s the area I will be working on most”.

PP: “What is it like to run onto the field and know there are thousands of fans cheering for you”?

MC: “Well we have a great supporter base, we have recently been talking to Marketing and more than half our fans are from Country areas, whenever we head north we attract bigger crowds especially in Brisbane. To have the Supporters out there cheering is UNREAL”.

Now this is a question that NEEDED to be asked..

PP: “Mick what has been your most successful pick up line”?

He was laughing so hard I thought ‘OH no, I wonder if I'm going to be able to print this’.

MC: I was at Schoolies on the Gold Coast, saw an attractive girl, crooked my finger and beckoned her. When she approached me I said, If I can make you come with one finger, imagine what I can do with the rest of me”.

At this point, I was laughing so hard I really couldn't bring myself to pursue the topic any further. He did assure me though, that he had only used that line the one time.

PP: “As a kid playing League, did you ever think you would win a GF”?

MC: “NO, I just wanted to play football, but having now won a Grand Final it is truly a dream come true.

PP: “How is the 2003 Season looking for the Roosters”?

MC: “Pretty good, lost a few players and gained a few, but we feel that the changes will not affect the team, we will have the same attitude, even though we are losing Dean Pay, his replacement has the same attitude and of course we've got Ricky”.

All I can say Dear Reader, is that we have a great team player in Mick Crocker. Not only does he possess great potential, but also a desire to improve for his team, the code of Rugby League and his personal goals. His attitude is positive, and I believe that he will have a great season come 2003.

Word Count 743

Hass

Juniors
Here is the starting five for the Bluebags this week...

Hass (c)
Roopy
Legend
Gorilla
Willow

Here's hoping we can keep our undefeated record in order.

We would like to wish Easts the best of luck.

Cheers.

G

gorilla

Enter the Gorilla *yodelling*
for the 'Bags
Tackle crazy
One of the things I love about rugby league is the sight of an inside or outside centre slicing through the opposition to cut into the clear, with support and the opposition fullback looming. As a ‘gorilla’ out of the pack, I also love to see a front or second rower burst through the ruck and barrel down the field.

Although rugby league is a running game – the basic intention is to score tries, it is still a ’trench warfare’ kind of game. Opposite every runner is a tackler, and there is as diverse a range of tackling as there is running styles. The range extends from the scything cross field cover tackle of the winger or fullback on a player hurtling toward the corner post tryline, to the take no prisoners collision of titan front rowers around the ruck.

Although tackling is the slightly ‘ugly’ part of the game, it is the opposite of the attack and there is a certain beauty to other half of the game.

The form of the game over the decades has seen different tackling and styles, contributed to by:
 unlimited/limited tackle counts;
 the defensive line set-back, e.g. 5 metres or 10 metres;
 defensive formations; and
 levels of violence allowed by the referees, e.g. no head shots or knees/elbows.

Up to the 1960s/70s two main styles of tackling stood out:
 the around the legs or hips, stop-the-progress style, taught everywhere from schools to first grade; and
 all the rough edges flying ruck tackling – arms, elbows and knees everywhere, helped along by the closeness of the defence and attack lines.

The unlimited tackle era had its own ethos, exemplified by the St George club of the 1950s/60s. They would choose to give the ball to the opposition so they could soften them up with brutal defence and then they would get the ball and keep it until they won.

The introduction of American football practices and ideas, and its reliance on statistics and offensive defence in the 1970s saw a sea change in tackling styles. The up and in defensive line, the introduction of gang tackling and statistics showing the need to make secure tackles led to less clean running tackles and a greater amount of mauling group tackling. The up and in defence also helped this group tackle style along because it lessened the amount of wide or lateral movement as that was often cut off by the defence.

In the 1980s as the defensive line was stretched back to ten metres, the tackling became more one-on-one again, although this was tempered by the newer styles of stopping ball movement with the tackler. Some of the greatest tackling was still unchanged from the early styles of around the legs but now great tackles included the absolute Kamikaze crash style as best shown by the Chief Harrigan / Spud Carroll clashes or the around the fringe ball and all crash tackle that cut of any chance to move the ball outside the defensive perimeter.

A recent change was the speed of the game and the need to become more dominant in the tackle. To limit the chance of the attacker rising up and playing the ball quickly, the turtle tackle was introduced, and the referees, led by Bill Harrigan’s belief in dominance in the tackle, have reinforced this practice. Recent law changes have modified this approach with an aim to reward both attacker and tackler with the flop being outlawed, and a limit of three in a tackle.

There’s a strong history of tacklers in the game. How many times have we seen a running second rower matched with a tackling machine, or players getting nicknamed “The Axe” because of the way they chop down attackers. Other players have a defensive character to their game with large amounts of tackling done each game, a recent example of this was Ricketson’s record breaker in the State of Origin, or Timmins crash tackling around the rucks.

For every slashing run there is a scything tackle, for every barnstorming forward running up from the kick-off, there’s a human wall waiting to crash into him. It’s a Yin/Yang thing, there’s no attack without defence and the beauty of the tackle often lies in the merit of the attack.
717 words inside the ************* lines

Genghis Chan

Juniors
Lord Reynoldson
Roosters #1

--------------------------------------------
Realising Dreams – why a draft is a good idea

Imagine the best talent scouts in Rugby League searching out beyond the NSW and Queensland borders, where a world class rugby league competition is more of a myth than a reality. Where if it weren’t for pay television League would have been thought of just some sport the locals invented decades ago. Each of those communities out in South Australia, Western Australia, Northern Territory and Tasmania has their own local competition with their own local superstars, their own local heroes. Those local heroes who have been allowed into pubs with their fathers to watch their favourite team play each weekend by pay television, which is their only link to the reality that there is a quality competition out their. Each weekend, watching in awe, dreaming of the day where they would make it to that elite stage of football.

Sadly, there are players like that scattered all throughout the country that go without even the opportunity to prove their worth. They live their entire lives never knowing if they really had what it takes to play alongside the likes of Gorden Tallis, Brad Fitler, Stacey Jones, or whoever that they have idolised their entire life. Despite leading their club to half a dozen premierships, they have never know just how good they really are because out where these superstars come from, their family may not have the money to be able to send them up to Sydney where they have the opportunity to trial for an NRL club.

Think about the players from those towns in Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania, the Northern Territory, even from some of the most hostile AFL towns in Victoria, or from the most hardened Rugby Union cities in New Zealand. Combined with the best from the New South Wales and Queensland bush, all of them have been brought together by the best scouts in the game, who’s job it is to search through and beyond the New South Wales country competitions, to search beyond the Queensland Cup, to search where team scouts just couldn’t be bothered to go. Then to bring the best of the best into the one place.

That one place is where they will have the opportunity to make their lifelong dreams come true. After undergoing 3 weeks of physical tests, mental tests, trial games and interviews, they have finally come that one step closer to realising their dream. After years of hard work and dedication followed by an intense few weeks of tests, training sessions and trials where they know that 15 NRL clubs are watching their every move, ranking them in order of who they want to be a part of their future. After surviving all that, the best of the best will have an opportunity to make their mark on the NRL.

That elite group of players from all states of Australia then gathers in the one room where all have one thing in common. That one thing is knowing that by the end of the day, one National Rugby League club will have told them “We want you to be a part of our future”. Each and every young player will leave what would be one of the most important events on the Rugby League calendar after having been drafted by an NRL club for the following season.

Not all will go straight into the NRL. Not all would even make it into the NRL, but at least they will have had the opportunity. They would have been given that chance that they have wanted for the last 18 or 19 years of their lives. No matter which club it is that they have been drafted by, they are now one step away from the big time, where they can show everyone what they can do. Maybe one day they will represent their state, maybe one day their country, or maybe they will just be able to attract the attention of the NRL team they followed their entire childhood. At least they will have the opportunity that does not exist in these times for those that don’t come from Rugby League towns with a strong history.

There is also the added advantage of evening up the competition. Lower placed teams get earlier picks and can help boost positions that they are lacking in. But more importantly, a well thought out draft could see dreams come true. Dreams that under the current system would never be thought possible
------------------------------
749 words - including title

Anonymous

Juniors
*Willow for the Bluebags*

Bumper Farrell accused of biting off a bloke’s ear

farrell030701_0.jpg

It was 1945 and Newtown Rugby League captain, Frank ‘Bumper’ Farrell was accused of biting off a portion of an opponent’s ear in a Rugby League match on July 28. In its day, this was a big news story which generated plenty of opinion amongst Rugby League fans. Almost 60 years later, the incident still has the ability to raise debate between League historians.

A New South Wales Police officer, Farrell maintained his innocence when replying to a signed affidavit from St George prop forward, Bill McRitchie which accused Farrell of chomping and severing part of his ear.

The incident was never properly resolved. Despite a determined effort to bring about prosecution, Farrell was never charged and he was eventually cleared of any wrong doing.

A tough prop, Frank Farrell was a stoic club man for the Bluebags. ‘Bumper’ represented NSW no less than 13 times between 1939 and 1950. He played four Tests for Australia in 1946 and 1948. He captained Newtown to premiership glory in 1943. A popular policeman, Farrell played a then record of 250 grade games before retiring in 1951.

Bill McRitchie’s career was less illustrious. From 1942-1945, he played just 40 games for St George before being forced into retirement. The brother of Test star, Doug McRitchie, Bill’s career was undoubtedly cut short by the biting incident which saw him spend 22 weeks in hospital.

In his sworn affidavit, read in open League committee, McRitchie stated that during the game Farrell bit his right ear and that he (McRitchie) cried, “For Gods sake, let go,” and that he tried to free himself and even clawed at Farrell to force a release.

After getting to his feet, McRitchie reported the incident to referee George Bishop and yelled, “Look what he’s done to me!” The referee replied that he knew what was going on and if he caught the player responsible he would, “send him out for life.” Both players were cautioned.

Bleeding profusely, McRitchie left the field and took no further part in the match. He was treated by an ambulance officer and then by doctors at Marrickville hospital who told him that there no hope of stitching his ear back together.

Dr Finn reported to the committee that part of McRitchie’s ear was missing and “cartilage was sticking out.”

In his defence, Farrell expressed concern for McRitchie and stated, “Bill McRitchie has our sincere sympathy in his unfortunate accident and it is my own personal wish and the desire of my team mates is that he has a successful and speedy recovery from his injuries.

“I definitely state that I have been unjustly accused when it is stated that I bit the ear of W. McRitchie.”

Needless to say, the Newtown club backed their captain. Club secretary, Dave Jolley went to the media and launched a scathing attack against Farrell’s accusers. “We feel that our player has been unjustly accused and that we are the victims of a state of affairs that should not exist in Rugby League,” said Jolley. “We cannot reconcile such maladministration that has entered into such a case.”

Jolley also added the following statement regarding the public perception of the day: “The public point-of-view would seem to be that a member of my club committed an outrageous misdemeanor. Not one word of substantiated evidence has been given.”

The final defence for Farrell came when he informed the committee that he could not have bitten McRitchie’s ear because he left his dentures in a jar in the dressing room. Presented with the extraordinary notion that Farrell would have had to ‘gum’ McRitchie’s ear, the committee exonerated the Newtown skipper thus saving him from a possible life ban.

‘Bumper’ Farrell went on to play for Australia and to this day, holds pride of place as being the only player to have surpassed 200 first grade games for the Bluebags.

McRitchie on the other hand never wavered from his position that Frank Farrell had bitten off part of his ear. The public debate continued as well as both sides argued over the possibility that Farrell was still able to rip at the fleshy part of a man’s ear... teeth or no teeth.

St George officials tried to re-open the inquiry a month later, however the League disagreed, voting 21-2 against further investigation.

*Quote Ref: Daily Mirror (Sydney), August 1945.*
*Player Ref: Encylopedia of Rugby League Players.*

*727 words including title but excluding words inside of the *'s*

roopy

Referee
Roopy for bluebags - 744 words.

A Huge Year of Development in the USA

Almost exactly a year ago the US Tomahawks played the Japan Samurai and won by twenty-six points to ten.
At the time the US season was underway, and the perennial champions of the US competition, the Glen Mills Bulls, were meeting strong opposition for the first time ever. By the end of the season they were to be beaten by two different sides and were to lose both the minor and major championships for the first time in their history. All of a sudden there was genuine competition in the US, not just one side putting on exhibition games against make-shift opposition.
The two sides who put up the challenge to the Bulls were the New Jersey Sharks, a team made up of young American born ex-Union players who had learnt to play the new code over several seasons and now had the help of an Australian coach, and the New York Knights, a new team to the code that had been pulled together by an ex American Union international and an old Manly lower grade player. The Sharks went on to take out the minor premiership, while the Knights eventually put together a team with enough class to go on to win the Grand final.
The newly found competitiveness of the American Rugby League scene led to many changes in the National side, the Tomahawks. They stopped being basically the Glen Mills side with a few ring ins and became a team with representatives of all six sides in the American competition, and many of the new players quickly established themselves as the stars of the side.
The Tomahawks went on a groundbreaking tour of Russia in which they played two games, one against a provincial side, and a full scale test match against the Russian Bears. This tour gave a lot of new players the chance to impress and the chance to experience a wonderful occasion in the Test match in the Moscow Olympic Stadium in front of one of the biggest crowds to attend an International League game in recent years. This tour gave the push for the establishment American Rugby League new momentum.
After this a New Zealand ‘A’ team stopped over in the US and gave the locals a real lesson in power RL.
The next stage in the development of American Rugby League came in the form of a ‘fact finding’ and playing tour of Australia in the Australian pre season. The guys who came out on that tour were not all chosen on playing ability alone. Not only did they bring out the best of their young talent to experience League at a higher level, but they also brought along the main motivators and administrators behind most of the different teams in the comp. The American League is at such an early stage of development that most people who have formed clubs are still in the playing ranks.
Another tour to Russia with games against Russian Bears and BARLA proceeded the American season. The Tomahawks also got to meet, and train with, the French national side.
All the development work put in over the year started to pay off well as the American season edged closer. Two new club sides entered, and both new sides put together squads of a higher standard than had previously been seen in the US. These new teams have between them already unearthed four new players for the Tomahawks squad, with the promise of many more to come. As well as the new teams, all the established teams have started this season with a much more professional approach due to the knowledge gained from the tour of Australia.
The current American season is only into its fourth round, but there have already been played some of the best games ever seen in the US. The clashes between last season’s Champions, the New York Knights, and the new side and favourites for this year’s title, the Connecticut Wildcats, have been games of a very high standard indeed.
There is an old saying that the ‘proof is in the pudding,’ so how successful has all the development work been over the past year? The answer comes from that game against the Japanese Samurai one year ago and the corresponding game held last weekend. A year ago the Tomahawks won by 26-10. Last weekend the Tomahawks beat the Samurai by 78-6, a dramatic improvement in anyone’s books.

ozzie

Bench
I have posted The backpackers post in here as he has flown back to Australia from NZ. His daughter, Morticia, has wanted to know i she could put it in here - i have checked with Willow and he says there shouldn't be a problem. The post was placed in the Roosters Forum in a thread called "Teams for round 5 - 6". I will contact Tamazoid to keep him posted on the problem..cheers

The Backpacker #11 for Easts…Running on empty but prepared for a big hit…

The Silly Season

That’s right folks; the silly season is upon us. The time of year when cashed up clubs line up with chequebooks in hand, ready to offer a big name player the ‘right’ amount of money to put in the yards for their club. Arguably, the biggest name coming off contract this year would have to be Brad Fittler and the rumour mills are rife as to where he is likely to put his autograph, should the Roosters fail to reach an agreement, acceptable to both Fittler and his manager, Wayne Beavis. Minor coronary’s are in the pipeline as fans of the Roosters wait for that all-important ‘official’ announcement. But have clubs really got the worries of past seasons, as June 30th approaches?

Season 2000 saw the end of the Super League hangover for most clubs, with grossly inflated player payments arguably a thing of the past as the salary cap starts to bite those clubs that choose to play within the rules (The Craig Wing payments were approved by the previous NRL administration ). Whilst there is still a certain amount of greed apparent with some players, it appears that a new (or is that old) phenomenon is starting to take hold. Loyalty. More and more players are choosing loyalty over the almighty dollar and staying with their clubs for considerably less money than they could get if they put themselves on the open market and this could see a return to the glory days. The days where teams weren’t one-season wonders, where back-to-back premierships weren’t an anomaly and total domination brought fevered hatred by rival clubs trying to derail the juggernaut. Loyalty that meant playing for your mates, playing for your emblem emblazoned over your heart and playing for pride rather than the highest bidder. The kind of loyalty that has seen the likes of Luke Ricketson become a one-club man, with the reward of a salary cap dispensation in place from next season for his services.

Loyalty. Does Brad Fittler have it or will his reasoning behind signing with an ARL club during the initial Super League race for names become a hollow memory? I would say yes, he does have it and one of two events will transpire over the next couple of days. He will re – sign with the Roosters, finishing his career on the least amount of money he has seen since 1995 or he will retire. While Fittler has been good to league, league has been just as good to Fittler and, despite the well utilised catch cry of “I have to look out for the future”, he is in such a position that all he has to base his decision on is whether the money on offer from the Roosters is enough to warrant getting out of bed in the morning, not whether it will pay for a long retirement.

And retire he will, one day. If that day comes on October 5th 2003, it won’t be the travesty for the Roosters it once would have been. Loyalty has seen the big Pom sign for another three years on half what he could have earned at home. Loyalty has seen a number of other players coming off contracts re - sign and I have full faith in the fact that loyalty will see the core components of this Roosters side remain in red, white and blue throughout future silly seasons. These boys know what it’s like to win a grand final. They know what it’s like to bleed for their mates and see them lift when they pull off an impossible tackle or bone rattling hit. They have pride and passion for their club but, most importantly, they have been built into a tight unit. A unit that has been nurtured and prepared for the day when the name Brad Fittler isn’t listed as one of those players coming off contract. A day when the silly season turns it’s attention to another ‘big name’ player and it’s the turn of another clubs fans to sweat it out as rival clubs come knocking. Loyalty or money? I reckon loyalty will win this race, whether on the sad note of a great player retiring or another season or two strapping on the boots with the Roosters.

Words 716 – including title.

legend

Coach
I want my 16th team:

The need for a 16th team is essential for the long-term development of the game. Personally, I would love to see the bye scrapped and have the opportunity to see my team play 26 continuous rounds of footy.

The biggest hurdle is the finances, then the location and finally, talent to ensure the propagation of a new franchise is successful.

As it stands, there are well over 40 players plying their trade in the ESL that originate from the NRL and that alone is enough to cultivate a new team, and one with unlimited potential.

Have a look at some of the names and a team could be formed to challenge for the top eight right away. The ESL should drop their import quota to three maximum and start developing more of their home grown talent which will have a profound effect on the game at an international level.

League is experiencing unprecedented levels of support this year with people flocking to the game as the quality is simply unmatched.

The Panthers broke a ground record on the weekend against the Bulldogs with over 22,000 in attendance. There is no reason why a side located either on the Gold Coast or Central Coast could not muster the same type of support. We have the businessmen willing to underwrite a side in both location but the NRL are reluctant to add a 16th side due to past managerial gaffes that saw clubs like Newtown excluded from the elite competition.

If the NRL are fair dinkum, they could hold a private ballot/draft/survey to see which players would be interested in joining a new franchise and those who left a club would receive salary cap concessions as compensation.

The NRL could also allow new clubs to pick one player, nominated by their current club to join the new franchise. This is exactly how the NFL, easily the most successful competition in the world, expand their game.

It’s all about parity. What has made the competition so successful this year is the even distribution of talent among the 15 clubs and the subsequent quality in the games being played. I could name some games this year that were of the highest standard but I simply don’t have enough fingers. Here are a few examples though:

Panthers v Bulldogs
Dragons v Roosters
Raiders v Broncos
Bulldogs v Roosters
Raiders v Bulldogs
Cowboys v Panthers
Knights v Dragons

The above games were all five star quality and with the management of the game finally on track, the NRL have to strike while the iron is hot. We have done remarkably well in the face of overwhelming odds and adversity, which would have seen most other sports go the way of the dodo.

Adelaide was on the verge of success but were sacrificed along with the Gold Coast in a post Super League war smoking of the peace pipe. The Gold Coast were also on the verge of finally establishing themselves after being a basket case for almost their entire tenure in top flight Rugby League.

It’s by no means easy but with the right consultation and business plan, Rugby League could look beyond its traditional boundaries to challenge the AFL as Australia’s premier winter code. We have League’s club backing for most clubs, which the AFL do not and this has seen many AFL clubs, including the Swans, on the verge of bankruptcy.

Our product speaks for itself and with the NRL to spend more money on grass roots development, we must look further afield not just in terms of geographic location, but time. Let’s start thing beyond the next five years and start looking at the next 25 to ensure my children, and my children’s children can experience some of the greatest sporting moments of their life.

It’s time to think outside the square Mr Gallop. Give us our 16th side and we’ll watch it thrive along with Rugby League and then we can truly say we have the greatest game of all.

673 including title.

Hass

Juniors
* Hass * Bluebags*

THOSE DASTARDLY SEA EAGLES

God I used to hate Manly. I can still hear the cry, “Go Manly, Go Manly”, rattling around in my ear’s today and it makes me feel ill. I remember watching those classic matches between Parramatta and Manly-Warringah in the 1980’s with my Sea-Eagles loving brother-in-law. I remember the look on his face when Manly lost to the Eels in the Grand Final for the second consecutive year. I remember how I proclaimed it the best day of my life while I celebrated long into the night wearing nothing but my underwear (please excuse me - excessive drinking can lead to these kinds of embarrassing activities). I remember enjoying the win and then enjoying it even more… because it came against Manly.

This weekend the Parramatta Eels are taking on the Manly-Warringah Sea-Eagles at Parramatta Stadium. The kickoff is set for 3 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. This is the sort of clash that should have me salivating at the mouth. I should be kicking down doors and murdering relatives in order to see this match. Yet as I glance across the draw this week, Manly v Parra produces little more inside of me than the feeling that this is just another game in Round-Seventeen. Somehow I can’t help but feel this isn’t right.

It makes me raise the question, do I still hate Manly? The thought of not hating Manly was too scary a proposition for me to comprehend a couple of years ago, yet now I’m generally wondering whether that loathing is still there inside of me. I mean, here we have Manly going through a stretch of public infighting and all I can do is feel sorry for them. I remember booing Ken Arthurson at the SFS when he was Chairman of the ARL - yet after the Super-League war I can’t help but like the guy. Manly used to be Silvertails - a rich club with rich players living on the rich Northern Beaches. They may still be located on the Northern Beaches, but their financial state seems to suggest the moniker of “fibros” would be more fitting these days. Even the jersey doesn’t seem to hold that imposing air of superiority about it any more. The Manly jerseys of yore used to instill a sense of fear over the opposition – even if they were having a (rare) lousy season on the field.

Yet this season in the years post Northern Eagles I can’t seem to get worked up about playing the men from the peninsula. Does a club have to be successful to be hated? In the AFL, Collingwood still managed to be despised by all except Magpies fans despite not making the finals for over ten years. And I’m sure I never once lost the passion to beat up the Poms in the cricket despite them struggling to chalk up wins against Zimbabwe. So it can’t just be the fact that Manly don’t possess that winning culture at the moment. Perhaps some of that North Sydney losing culture got passed on to the Sea-Eagles when they spent a couple of years in bed with the Bears. I know it used to be damn near impossible to hold a grudge against poor old Norths.

Maybe it’s the fact that Brisbane are the team to hate these days. Yet I still don’t hold for the Broncos the same sense of disdain I used to reserve for the Sea-Eagles. And besides, apart from the Brian Smith–Wayne Bennett thing there isn’t all that much specific rivalry between our two clubs. Parramatta’s biggest rival these days is the Bulldogs. Yet while I absolutely deplore losing to the boys from Canterbury-Bankstown, I can’t bring myself to say that I truly hate them. No, I guess I’ll just have to go through the rest of my football supporting life with Manly being “just another team”.

Perhaps I’ll give my brother-in-law a call. He moved up to Queensland ten years ago and I hardly see him at all these days. I remember his smile and the way he used to smirk when Manly won a game. I really did hate that smirk. It pains me to even think about him smiling like that right now. I can see him in all his cockiness, releasing that smirk on Sunday if the Manly beat Parramatta. In fact he’s probably smirking right now – expecting the Sea-Eagles to win. Well I’m not going to stand for it… God I hate Manly!

- 750 Words (inclusive of title)

Cheers.

brook

First Grade
*brook - easts*

Thats my Club
I don’t come from a long line of Balmain supporters, although I wish I did. In fact I come from a VERY long line of Saint George supporters and it is really an accident of fate that saw me a tiger.

In a way it could even be called divine intervention – my career as a Balmain supporter started when the local priest (one of the most dedicated Balmain supporters I have ever met – when he died his pole bearers were balmain first graders) informed my mother that he would only baptize me if she agreed to raise me as a tigers fan. My mother decided that it wouldn’t be right to break a promise to a man of god and in the process of raising me properly managed to end up a huge balmain fan herself.

I always like this story because it seems to me the perfect example of one of the basic truths of life – you don’t choose your footy team, it chooses you. I was born to be a Balmain supporter and family be damned.

There are many who would feel sorry for me, supporting a ‘dead club’ (and how I hate that term), but they are the ignorant ones…often the glory hunters who would never really understand the real joys to come from supporting a team in the NSWRL

As someone who supports an NRL team and a NSWRL team I know the wonder (and the pain) of both and while there are more minor irritations to supporting a team in the lower grades (the simple ordeal that is finding results for one) it also brings a more lasting satisfaction.

The games themselves are a unique experience – leichhardt oval before a stand-alone balmain game feels like a secret club, you see the same faces each week and get to know each other and if we don’t make as much noise as the huge crowds at nrl games in many ways we have more fun, the atmosphere is friendly and we laugh a lot at comments from the crowd - sound carrys round the den and every cheer is clearly audible so you know the players hear (and appreciate) your calls of support.

It is the players that mean the most though, once you start to support your entire club (and not just one grade), in first grade the focus is always on what the player can do for the club (and rightly so, an NRL team is a multi-million dollar business) however in the lower grades things are different, often you are dealing with kids who are still learning the trade and the focus turns to what the club can do for them to help them develop as footballers. There is an immense pride that comes from watching a kid like Robbie Farah rise through the ranks from SG Ball, to First grade – all within the space of 18 months. It’s a feeling that doesn’t really come in first grade where the players arrive on the scene near-complete.

Of course supporting the whole club is not an easy option, get used to having to fight for every scrap of information you receive, get used to having to check and double check times, dates and venues because the ones that are published are frequently wrong and get used to (at times) having to choose between attending one of three different games all on at the same time in different areas of Sydney (although thankfully that has only happened to me once). It is never easy, but, as wise men say, nothing worth doing ever is and you’ll forget all the hardship the first time you watch a player you’ve cheered since Harold matthews days run onto the field in a first grade jersey.

ozzie

Bench
Humour in Rugby League

The game of League is not all business and serious work – there is a lot of humour that exists in our game. Many a time alight hearted remark or act has broken the ice between players or fans alike.

I was interested to see some humour on regard to the hardest games played namely the State of Origin and it is mainly aimed at the fans. Jokes fly around willy-nilly and I thought I would quote some that I hadn’t heard before.

For Queensland fans:
Q. What's the difference between a dead dog on the road and a dead NSW fan on the road?
A. There are skid marks in front of the dog.
For Blue Fans:
Q. If you see a Qld fan on a bicycle, why should you never swerve to hit him?
A. It could be your bicycle.
This story was reputed to be about Mike Stephenson who came to the Chocolate Soldiers, Penrith.
Many years ago when Mike Stephenson, was selected to play for England in the World Cup. Both sides had lined up in the tunnel awaiting their call to the middle of the ground for the start of the match. Stephenson was nervous but he even got more nervous when he sighted Mark Harris. For those who don’t know Mark was rather a large lump of a boy and played in the back line, either as centre or wing and he had a face only his mother could love. Stephenson looked at him and asked his team mate – who the hell is that? – when told he was the centre for Australia, Stephenson turned around and started to head for the dressing sheds. Where are you going called his mate? Stephenson is reputed to have replied – if he’s the f!!king centre I’m not hanging around to see the props.

Aof course one can’t finish a post on humour if the old joke about the horse wasn’t repeated.

A horse walked his way into Redfern Oval one day and asked the coach if he could try out. The coach looked at the horse and said “OK lets see you catch the ball”. Thinking the horse couldn’t he nearly choked on his whistle when the horse caught all the bombs that were put up his way.
Well lets see how you go tackling. Well needless to say the horse tackled anyone and anything that ran at him. The coach was getting a bit excited thinking he may have a superstar in the making.
Ok then lets see you run. Well the horse looked at the coach and said “If I could bloody run – I’d be in Race 5 at Randwick today”

Tours are a happy place for the odd funny story commencing. Normally practical jokes are started as a relief of boredom or alcohol induced.

Who could ever forget the episode of the Australian Rugby league player parading in the nude with only a bowler hat on in the middle of the hotel in England on a tour in the early 60’s. Trouble was that he was spied by some tourists and the story eventually was leaked to the press. It gave everyone a laugh but more than that it gave Johnny Raper, who was accussed of the prank, a name that has bought him infamy and a lot of money in public speaking. Trouble is now there is a lot of debate as to who was actually wearing the hat??

Some jokes go astray. The imfamous “shoe” affair in a motel in country NSW will haunt one particular footballer who decided to decorate his mates shoe with well you can guess the rest or you already know.

Not only did he disgrace the club he was playing with but he managed to get them banned from ever using the motel again. This player took years to live it down. But to his credit he did.

It’s not hard to find humour of some league legends lie Tommy Radonikis and others, many a book is written on the subject and its worth your while checking them out.

The Internet is also a good source of humour associated with League.

If you are ever bored – go and find some humour – it will brighten up your day

Anonymous

Juniors
Congratulations boths teams. Excellent posts. :D

Ozzie, you confirm that you're seeing the same time as me on your last post? It says 9:01pm on my computer. Cheers.

Anonymous

Juniors
Hass said:
As far as I'm concerned it says 8:59 pm ;-)

Cheers.

LOL.. I should have known you'd stick up with a fellow 'swooper from the clouds'.

If its okay with the skip then its OK with me as well. 8)
Good effort ozzie. Looks the video ref has called it a fair try. :D

Genghis Chan

Juniors
Willow said:
Hass said:

Cheers.

LOL.. I should have known you'd stick up with a fellow 'swooper from the clouds'.

The video ref called it a fair try? I guess that means that it must have been a no try. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Lord Reynoldson said:
Willow said:
Hass said:

Cheers.

The video ref called it a fair try? I guess that means that it must have been a no try. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL.. thankyou LR. I was hoping the irony wouldnt be completely lost.

Bloody good effort though: 5 vs 5... in these turbulent times, thats deserves a round of applause.
eusa_clap.gif

Genghis Chan

Juniors
Willow said:
LOL.. thankyou LR. I was hoping the irony wouldnt be completely lost.

Bloody good effort though: 5 vs 5... in these turbulent times, thats deserves a round of applause.
eusa_clap.gif

I agree (but I'm going to have to borrow your picture to do so.
eusa_clap.gif
eusa_clap.gif
eusa_clap.gif
eusa_clap.gif
eusa_clap.gif
eusa_clap.gif
eusa_clap.gif

May the best team win.