What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldest junior club

brook

First Grade
I've always believed that the mighty Leichhardt Wanderers was Australia's oldest junior rugby league club and I know thats what they call themselves but an article in the tele recently stated that the oldest club was the mascot jets - does anyone know which one is right?

Spike

First Grade
The Mascot Jets were founded in 1910, I don't know about the Wanderers :?

I think you could add Fairfield United Magpies to those two. I'm not sure when they were founded, but they were one of the first junior rugby league clubs in the world to register themselves.

Nfed

Juniors
Fairfield United was a merger between Fairfield City and Fairfield RSL in the 1980s. But I think there was a Fairfield club in the Southern Metropolitan league, a Group controlled by the Western Suburbs District, in the 1920s.

brook

First Grade
hmm thanks guys

not sure when the wanderers were actually formed although i know the balmain junior league was formed in 1909 or 1908 and i think they were a foundation club or very close to - looks like a close call either way

dimitri

First Grade
does anybody know which was the first junior league club in each area

in the st george area id say arncliffe scots would be the oldest

innsaneink

Referee
I know for a fact Mascot Jets promote themselves as
the oldest junior club in australia but wether thats correct
or not I'm not sure.My son played for Maroubra in Souths
Jnrs for a few years & I remember recieving some info
about all the clubs and Thats where i saw that fact.

brook

First Grade
innsaneink said:
I know for a fact Mascot Jets promote themselves as
the oldest junior club in australia but wether thats correct
or not I'm not sure.My son played for Maroubra in Souths
Jnrs for a few years & I remember recieving some info
about all the clubs and Thats where i saw that fact.

yeah the wanderers do the same thing

it seems a bit like the newtown/glebe thing

Miracle Balls

Juniors
Mascot, 1910.

Leichhardt Wanderers, 1911.

However, Wanderers have fielded teams every year since they began. As I understand it Mascot has had periods of not fielding any teams. Their premierships profile on the Souths Juniors site suggests some fairly inactive decades. It's a fascinating question, maybe some Bunnies fans can clarify.

brook

First Grade
Miracle Balls said:
Mascot, 1910.

Leichhardt Wanderers, 1911.

However, Wanderers have fielded teams every year since they began. As I understand it Mascot has had periods of not fielding any teams. Their premierships profile on the Souths Juniors site suggests some fairly inactive decades. It's a fascinating question, maybe some Bunnies fans can clarify.

ahh ok that could be where the dispute comes from then...

thanks for the help anyway, either way its great to see two such great old clubs still active (and while i can't speak for the jets the wanderers are still thriving despite the changing demographics - theres more than a few leichhardt wanderers juniors among the wests tigers best rising talent :) )

innsaneink

Referee
Yeah, Mascot has been very strong and successfull in the last few years from what I seen...always seems to be an abundance of players.

Hey Brook....any names we know originate from the Wanderers???

brook

First Grade
Pearson is a former wanderer, as is adam tippet out of this years first grade

but half of balmains flegg and ball teams (including bronson harrison who i still rate the most promising junior in the club) are all wanderers

Miracle Balls

Juniors
Robbie Farah and James Webster from Parra are also a couple of Wanderers who have tasted first grade this year.

brook

First Grade
Miracle Balls said:
Robbie Farah and James Webster from Parra are also a couple of Wanderers who have tasted first grade this year.

meggsie?

I thought he played for burwood united and pats dundas?

forgot to mention robbie you're right there

innsaneink

Referee
Did Buckets play for dundas shamrocks???
or St Pats...did he go to school there?? his profile on the wests tigers site said he went somewhere else

brook

First Grade
buckets played for the shamrocks

dunno if he went to pats or not but i'd assume he did?

Miracle Balls

Juniors
Brook, I'm pretty sure that James entered grade from the Wanderers. I know for certain that he played with Adam Tippett in Wanderers U/15 premiership side in 1994.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Cronulla-Caringbah were the first junior club in the Cronulla-Sutherland league.

Do the Mascot Jets play on that ground that's about 1min drive from the Airport? I forget the street, but it says Mascot JRLFC or something on a fading sign.

Latest posts