What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Crowds

hutch

First Grade
What is the average crowd for super league this year? Also, does anybody have each clubs average home crowd for this year as well?

I know that the average crowd seems to be rising every year, but it seems the top teams crowds are rising, but the lower teams crowds are embarrisingly low. I cant count the amount of times I have see the crowd for a super league game below 5000. Are we struggling that much over in the UK.

The NRL are breaking all sorts of records, we are averaging near 17000 per game. With the exception of Melbourne, it is extremely surprising if any team gets under 10000 for a home game. whats the go in the superleague?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Leeds 186,952 11 16,995
Bradford 140,361 10 14,036
Wigan 149,930 11 13,630
Hull 108,569 10 10,856
Warrington 118,520 11 10,774
St Helens 112,924 11 10,265
Widnes 75,554 11 6,868
Huddersfield 61,725 11 5,611
Wakefield 57,971 11 5,270
Leigh 52,523 11 4,774
Salford 51,607 12 4,300
London 49,275 12 4,106

Total 1,174,432 132 8,897

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Let me try again

Leeds 16,995
Bradford 14,036
Wigan 13,630
Hull 10,856
Warrington 10,774
St Helens 10,265
Widnes 6,868
Huddersfield 5,611
Wakefield 5,270
Leigh 4,774
Salford 4,300
London 4,106

Total 8,897

gaterooze

Bench
That's better than top-level Union in the UK, isn't it? Probably the best way to guage, rather than comparing to Aus crowds.

hutch

First Grade
Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
It sucks to see that Widnes get such good crowds and will be going down this year...oh well, better them then Wakey ;)

i would say that the first 6 teams are reasonably acceptable, although i thought st helens would average more. i understand that widnes will be going down, but i would hardly call 6000 odd a good crowd. i dont understand how some crowds average so low, are they that unpopular. i think super league needs an overhall, the top 6 clubs seem to be doing ok but the bottom 6 are pulling in atrocious crowds. at least they are increasing i suppose though.

bartman

Immortal
I've found it complex to get used to the crowd figures etc since moving across....

I live in the north, where League is more popular than Union, and in Yorkshire where we're not completely swamped by interest in Premier League Football (soccer). But you've still got to have something going for you in the local area to get people to want to come out and watch.

I think the best link you make in explaining the crowds is on-field success? Winning gets in the "casual fan" more than anything else. If you look at the teams' history over the last ten years, you see these positions:

Leeds 10-5-2-4-4-5-4-3-1 running 1st
Bradford 3-1-5-2-3-1-2-1 running 5th
Wigan 2-4-1-5-2-2-3-2-3 running 7th
Hull x-x-9-13-7-4-5-7-5 running 3rd
Warrington 5-9-10-7-6-7-10-6-8 running 4th
St Helens 1-3-3-1-1-3-1-4-6 running 2nd
Widnes x-x-x-x-x-x-7-9-11 running 11th
Huddersfield x-x-12-14-12-12-x-10-7 running 8th
Wakefield x-x-x-11-10-11-11-11-4 running 9th
Leigh x running 12th
Salford x-6-11-12-9-10-12-x-9 running 10th
London 4-2-7-8-11-6-8-5-10 running 6th

This is Warrington's best year and Hull's (if they keep it up), so good on the crowds for coming out. And good on Widnes' crowd for sticking in with little to cheer about (and Wigan's this season). London's figures are disappointing - my local NL2 team sometimes out draw their home crowds - hence maybe the move by them to try and do something radical?

But not every team can win or make the finals every year, those that have have the highest attendances. If SL becomes a bit more of an equal playing field for all clubs (newly promoted and old relaibles), then they could all hopefully share a bit in the success that breeds local interest and higher crowds?

brendothejet

First Grade
www.rleague.com has a great page outlining pretty much every statistic for NRL matches ever.

If you look at the attendances on average over the past 90 odd years rugby league has had some shocking years here in australia.

We are on the way to a massive crowd average this year only because there are so many teams in with a shot at it.

A level playing field in england would be all that is required to bring crowds up but due to your relegation/promotion system...this aint gonna happen.

Would it be so bad if they split the superleague into say 2 or 3 pools drawing on teams from NL1/2 , france etc and then the top 4 from each went to a playoff.

Each year the pools change but there is always a spread of talent. This would give the lower teams time to build up and get competitive because the way it works now teams like Leigh are never going to be able to stay up. Salford fans must feel like a yo yo and Leeds fans must be quite deplorable to listen to as they flog your team by 80 each week.

upbonk

hutch said:
The NRL are breaking all sorts of records, we are averaging near 17000 per game. With the exception of Melbourne, it is extremely surprising if any team gets under 10000 for a home game. whats the go in the superleague?

Yes, and they're still light years behind the AFL. Do you have any idea where Rugby League is played in the UK?

upbonk

Sun_Down said:
Hmm, you would think Huddersfield would be pulling more than 5k

Why aren't Newcastle averaging more than 25,000. Why are Paramatta's crowds sh*te?

Afterall, there's no competition.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Sun_Down said:
Hmm, you would think Huddersfield would be pulling more than 5k

50 years of awful teams,4 years in a row finishing bottom and being a laughing stock and a farcical merger,coupled with Leeds and Bradford only a few miles away says it's a wonder the crowds are that big.It's similar at Wakefield,although not on the same scale.

upbonk

Evil Homer said:
50 years of awful teams,4 years in a row finishing bottom and being a laughing stock and a farcical merger,coupled with Leeds and Bradford only a few miles away says it's a wonder the crowds are that big.It's similar at Wakefield,although not on the same scale.

True Homer, but there's still that little pommie sporting sideshow known as soccer, which has been so insignificant for over a century.

hutch

First Grade
upbonk said:
Yes, and they're still light years behind the AFL. Do you have any idea where Rugby League is played in the UK?

what the hell does it have to do with afl, who cares about afl. they get massive crowds because there is nothing else to do in melbourne, and they have had a well established and successful comp for yonks. i was making a comment that i find it dissapointing that a well established team pulls a crowd of only 6000, and that it is considered a good crowd. yes, i have a very good idea of where rugby league is played in the uk, and i would hope that teams are striving for crowds better than what they currently get.

the last two parra games have been sellouts, they are up on what they got last year, as for newcastle, they lost 13 games in a row yet their last game was a sellout with over 26000, and they are averaging 17000 i think.

what the f*#k does any of that have to do with widnes crowds.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
hutch said:
what the hell does it have to do with afl, who cares about afl. they get massive crowds because there is nothing else to do in melbourne, and they have had a well established and successful comp for yonks. i was making a comment that i find it dissapointing that a well established team pulls a crowd of only 6000, and that it is considered a good crowd. yes, i have a very good idea of where rugby league is played in the uk, and i would hope that teams are striving for crowds better than what they currently get.

the last two parra games have been sellouts, they are up on what they got last year, as for newcastle, they lost 13 games in a row yet their last game was a sellout with over 26000, and they are averaging 17000 i think.

what the f*#k does any of that have to do with widnes crowds.

But they dont just get massive crowds in Melobourne. Over here in WA, 90% of the public are obsessed with 'footy'. I have to put up with their garbage everyday at work, listening to such and such scored goals and the umpire do nothing.....

I find it interesting how many AFL fans hate League, but have time for union. Why is that I wonder?

upbonk

gaterooze said:
Because Union is no threat to them, and it's "trendy" at the moment.

What's trendy at the moment? I don't think the treadle of this thread has much idea.

In-goal

Bench
Leeds may average over 17,000 with a solid final turnout against Wakey this weekend.

Also Saints are above 10K for the first time and Warrington fantastic.

With Les Catalans next season and London becoming Quins hopefully the total average will bump up closer to the 10k next season, all is needed is for those lower clubs to get upto around 7K.

upbonk

In-goal said:
Leeds may average over 17,000 with a solid final turnout against Wakey this weekend.

Also Saints are above 10K for the first time and Warrington fantastic.

With Les Catalans next season and London becoming Quins hopefully the total average will bump up closer to the 10k next season, all is needed is for those lower clubs to get upto around 7K.

True! which is all well and good if you want to concentrate on SL's success stories. I don't think the person responsible for this thread has any interest in the reasons why SL crowds are approximately half of what NRL crowds are, anymore than he/she is interested in the culture of sport within those regions more apposite to the sport.