What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Phil Gould going on about the salary cap?

kaon

Juniors
The man who has as many fingers, in as many pies, as Owen Craigie has for the last month be harping on about how the salary cap punishes good clubs, what the hell is he on about?

He was a quiet as a mouse on the issue last year and previous years when other clubs such as Canberra and Parramatta have had to let go a number of big name players but now, when it looks like it will affect his club, he has started a campaign for all (sic) Rugby League fans. Give me a break, the Roosters have benefited greatly from the current system and they should take the little bit of bad after a great amount of good in the past.

If the Roosters off field operation is good enough, they will be able to build a Bronco-like dynasty in a controlled player market and not have to whine to all and sundry at the very thought of competing on a level playing field.

RenoufPhan

Juniors
Ever since Todd Payton signed with the Tigers he has been going overboard. He even managed to talk about the Payton situation during todays telecast of Parra vs Melbourne. :roll:

He abuses his power in the media when it suits him, and only him.

Where was he when we (the Broncos) couldn't afford to match Union's offers to Wendell and Lote? Where was he when we couldn't fit Chris Walker, Ashley Harrison, Shane Walker, Nathan Friend, Robert Tanielu, Luke Priddis, Scott Prince, Justin Hodges, Kevin Campion, and a host of others under the cap?

He was sitting around with his thumb up his arse - thats where he was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the loss of these guys. I understand that losing them enables us to re-sign the likes of Webcke and Lockyer. My point is (and its the same point that kaon made above), that Phil Gould kept his mouth shut about it at the time, because it wasn't effecting his club.

It boils my blood the way that he constantly plays the victim. :evil:

82notout

Juniors
You only have to look at the results this year and the standard of the games to see the effects of the salary cap. This is one of the best years I can remember.

To remove or even raise the salary cap can only be detrimental to the game.

ozzie

Bench
Well if the salary cap went up it would certainly mean the end of Souths - they are struggling at the moment 3/4m loss this year alone and if the salary cap would go up they would be looking at over $1m a year loss.

Don't know what the answer is - but the league needs Souths to be strong - but they are in a hell hole of a position and don't know how they are going to get out of it. i don't think the junior club is the answer.

The trouble is they aren't the only other club in trouble and when the tax bites comes in - a lot of team are going to struggle. Another example Manly - makes a player an offer then reniges on it.. lack of funds

DJ

Juniors
I have never been a supporter of the salary cap, I beleive that it is a restraint of trade.

I do find it humerous however that Gould is now using every opportunity to bag it in the media because his Roosters are now feeling the impact of actually having to get their player payments down under the cap.

His silence was deafening whilst the cap was tearing apart Brisbane and Parramatta.

Just another example of his hypocritical use (or abuse) of his (impartial) position as a media commentator and employee of channel 9.

legend

Coach
I agree with most things about Gould and there are probably several threads about this same sort of thing but in light of current events, we can't have people calling Gould a dickhead.

He might not be Hadley but he still wields an awful ot of power so I think we'll have to place censorship on words like Hadley, Gould and Frilingos.

DJ

Juniors
Believe me! I don't know anyone who isn't saying that he is a dickhead. The issue legend is saying is that you shouldn't be saying he is a dickhead here regardless how accurate the statement may or may not be.

Ultima

Juniors
Canberra was hit hard by the cap a lot as well... We lost Mullins and Furner in the same year when it first started to bite (after the super league contracts started to fall)....

I didn't see a Roosters fan or employee bitching about it when they got Mullins...