What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast on Agenda

dimitri

First Grade
what do you guys think of the following article

[/quote]Gold Coast Entry On The Agenda
Written by: League Correspondent
28/8/03 Views: 4

The NRL's decision makers will discuss the Gold Coast's bid for a place in the premiership at a meeting next month after the consortium concerned impressed officials in Sydney.

Consortium member Michael Searle presented the Coast's business plan to NRL chief executive David Gallop and finance director Ed Farish and left with the promise their credentials would be raised at next month's partnership executive committee (PEC) meeting.

The PEC - a partnership between the Australian Rugby League and News Ltd - decides the future direction of the premiership.

"It went really well," Searle said.

"It was well received by David. The next step from here is to present the business plan and the model to the partnership executive committee in September.

"David advised today the Gold Coast expansion will go on the (PEC) agenda."

The Coast are bidding to play in the 2006 premiership and hope to receive the green light by the end of September this year.

Searle believes their business plan would make the Coast one of the strongest clubs in the NRL from a financial perspective.

It involves the club being owned by five shareholders who would each throw in $1.5 million initially as working capital in return for 1.5 million $1 shares in the company.

The consortium already has three of the five shareholders standing by and is in negotiations with a further two potential part owners.

"To be honest, having that sort of equity gave the NRL a lot of confidence," Searle said.

"We're targeting 2006.

"I think that's a reasonable target. I am sure some would like it sooner. But I am sure given the lessons from the past ... it would be irresponsible of our group to jump in in 2005.

If an opportunity came we would be mad not to look at it. Our model is ready to go, our finance is ready to go."

Gallop described the Gold Coast's business plan as a good update.

"They put a bit of meat on the bone," Gallop said.

"I always update them (PEC) on the Gold Coast and the Central Coast."

Searle also confirmed the consortium had begun sounding out staff for the venture, including player agent Wayne Beavis over the prospects of having Brad Fittler as coach.

Searle, who played seven seasons with the old Gold Coast franchise, also indicated the club could consider making an approach to Brisbane five-eighth Ben Ikin to join the support staff in some capacity.

Ikin, who's retiring at the end of the season, is a Gold Coast junior and played six games with the Chargers before joining North Sydney.

Simo

First Grade
I think the Gold Coast have done a great job and they are very sensible in not trying to rush into it and are willing to wait.

However there is only so many time they will be able to take being told no, so possibly Union or Afl may look to the area if the NRL doesnt take it.

I think 2006, go for it. Wether one of the struggling clubs relocates due to financial turmoil (caused by bad management in most of the clubs) or just a brand spanking new club is fine with me.

Good luck to them.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Great. 2006 gives them heaps of time to get the infrastructe in place to support a team, they can alight with feeder clubs as well as establish their own junior support base, as well as making sure the stadium is up to scratch and developing relationships with potential sponsors.
Still it would be good if the NRL could confirm that they where in so that these items could start to be incorporated.

Chook

First Grade
Good, piss Souths off up there.

I read where they are facing yet another board room challenge from a Garlick, Coleman and Carroll lead management team. In the words of Bob Dylan "How many times must a club fall down before you take their f**king licence off them"?

Give the NRL licence to people who are smart, eager and enthusiastic about Rubgy League, not to a bunch of backstabbing, hypocritical, whinning deadshits.

By all means let the Gold Coast consortium keep the Souths logo and colours as they are famous and people would respond to them. But take every single person that has ever had anything to do with Souths over the past decade and BAN them from having anything to do with the new set up.

It'd be just like cutting the gangerous limb of a dying body to ensure the body survives.

And Souths fans, flame me if you want to, but your club has demonstrated nothing to deserve it's NRL licence. And if cannot get it's shit together soon, then it deserves to be dead sooner rather than later so the code can bury the memory and move on and expand!

Chook.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
i dont care what team is going to play at the gold coast,as long as they get 1 there soon.

we need to keep the GAY.F.L away from there and also yawion.
if we dont set up a club,1 or both of those shite codes will get the jump on us and that will be the end of league in queensland as most ppl seem to hate the broncos up there.

we also need to get a team in the central coast as well to stop yawion.

the biggest mistake the nrl ever done was letting go of perth and adelaide,with perth they would of been 8 yrs old now and we would of seen some juniors comming through now or very shortly :roll: the nrl are idiots.instead of merging sydney clubs with other sydney clubs, they should of merged them with teams from other states (perth,adelaide) just to keep them there and not let GAY.F.L have the lot :cry:

damn u NRL for killing the greatest game.u never promote it and u kill teams in places that are just starting to grow.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Have to agree with the above post. The NRL allowd some utterly atrocious decisions back in the past few years. Some of the things they knocked on the head could have led to a 2003 comp looking like this:

South Australian Rabbitohs - Adelaide
Melbourne Storm - Melbourne
Canberrra Raiders - ACT
St George Illawarra Dragons - Southern Sydney/Wollongong
Cronulla Sharks - Southern Sydney
Sydney Roosters - Inner Sydney
Canterbury Bulldogs - Inner South Western Sydney
Parramata Eels - Western Sydney
Penrith Panthers - Western Sydney
Manly Sea Eagles - Norhern Sydney
Central Coast Bears - Central Coast
Newcastle Knights - Hunter
East Coast Tigers - Gold Coast/Brisbane
Brisbane broncos - Brisbane
North Queensland Cowboys - NQ
NZ Warriors - NZ

A 16 team comp with every major centre from Auckand to Adelaide to Cairns covered.

Dogs Of War

Coach
ParraEelsNRL said:
the biggest mistake the nrl ever done was letting go of perth and adelaide,with perth they would of been 8 yrs old now and we would of seen some juniors comming through now or very shortly :roll: the nrl are idiots.instead of merging sydney clubs with other sydney clubs, they should of merged them with teams from other states (perth,adelaide) just to keep them there and not let GAY.F.L have the lot :cry:

damn u NRL for killing the greatest game.u never promote it and u kill teams in places that are just starting to grow.

Well said, whatever bad things where said about super league, at least they had vision to see where the game should be headed.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Adelaide came in under super league, perth were part of super league, perth where struggling until super league put some much needed fiances into the organisation, once they got back together it was descided that they didn't meet the criteria and the competion should become very sydney-centric again. The problem with super league was not want they wanted to do, but how they wanted to do it.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Adelaide only came in because SL couldn't get Newcastle or St George interested. So they came up with Adelaide,only to get 10 teams up.

Super League had no intention of taking the game national. That was the ARL's idea, with expansion OUT of Sydney. When push came to shove, SL withdrew funding from Adelaide and Perth. It had nothing to dowith 'criteria' which wasn't formulated or used until the end of the following season.

It was also upon News Ltd's asertion that Gold Coast was punted as well.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I don;t want to revist the past, let sleeping dogs lie.

What I want to see is a plan for the NRL to start developing the game, highlight areas they wish to expand too (say 2 areas at a time after the gold coast is admitted) and develop the infrastuctors such as getting the game played in schools and making available top level coachs to give the loca comps better tutition in the game thus producing better footballers (hopefully!)

Anonymous

Juniors
The Gold Coast should never have been given the flick in the first place. The very fact that they are being seriously considered as NRL contenders is proof enough of that.

The management of the old GC team was shonky to say the least but for the NRL to drop them in 1998 was a cop out. All it needed was some intervention... it was good enough to intervene in the Cowboys but not the Gold Coast.

The end result was a SE Qld franchise that was contracted to one team and one team only. Since then, League on the Coast has thrived but with no thanks to the Broncos who have played less than a handfull of pre-season games at Cararra.

The people behind this latest push have been very professional in their approach. They first initiated a 'relocation' agenda with the NRL with the both the Gold Coast Rabbitohs and the Gold Coast Sharks being on the list.

While relocation is still the accepted agenda, the GC committee is now pushing for a stand alone team. I like it because it's aiming higher. Nevertheless, a team relocating to the GC is still the most likely scenario.

The GC have a lot going for them. A huge junior base and massive financial backing is just part of it. Since 1998, the area has almost doubled in it's population and by 2006, there should be over 500,000 living on the GC. But the foot print stretches beyond the Coast with group competitions in the Northern Rivers, the Hinterland and Logan.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Dogs Of War said:
I don;t want to revist the past, let sleeping dogs lie.

Why is it that everyone who says that support a team that is still in the comp as a stand-alone entity :roll:

Cheers,
Ben S.

The Q Facor

Juniors
Chook said:

I read where they are facing yet another board room challenge from a Garlick, Coleman and Carroll lead management team. In the words of Bob Dylan "How many times must a club fall down before you take their f**king licence off them"?

Give the NRL licence to people who are smart, eager and enthusiastic about Rubgy League, not to a bunch of backstabbing, hypocritical, whinning deadshits.

By all means let the Gold Coast consortium keep the Souths logo and colours as they are famous and people would respond to them. But take every single person that has ever had anything to do with Souths over the past decade and BAN them from having anything to do with the new set up.

It'd be just like cutting the gangerous limb of a dying body to ensure the body survives.

And Souths fans, flame me if you want to, but your club has demonstrated nothing to deserve it's NRL licence. And if cannot get it's shit together soon, then it deserves to be dead sooner rather than later so the code can bury the memory and move on and expand!

Chook.

I agree with you in the fact that yes, I think the NRL should definetly be reconsidering extending Souths NRL license (they could not even organize a piss-up in a brewery!). But not relocate them up here! You will jinx the GC team man!!

ali

Bench
Get them in for 2005 as a stand alone club. That way we can get rid of the byes, have 24 rounds of footy, and have an extra 2 weeks for stand alone rep footy.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Chook said:

Chook.

Damn straight. I absolutely agree with all you said.

dimitri

First Grade
we definitely need a GC team

the perfect situation would be

relocate a syd team to GC

brink back the bears on the CC

and that way we get rid of thebye

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
well i see most of us beleive that both G.C andC.C need teams.
we also agree that the NRL ARE FOOLS for letting go of perth and adelaide.
problem is,how do we get the NRL to see the error of there way and bring back these interstate teams?
i would love some sydney teams to move to these places,i would still support parra if they moved,as long as they were blue n gold and still called the eels,but i cant see any team moving,maybe souths might go to C.C but where would that leave poor old north sydney?
ppl say there are not enough players 4 more teams in the comp,i say that is bullshit,look at how many players are over in england,and not all of them are hassbeens,some of them are still very young.and with these teams being back in the comp they will bring juniors through sooner or later.

hers my comp.

PERTH west tigers
ADELAIDE southern rabbits(sounds gay)
MELBOURNE
NEW ZEALAND
BRISBANE
NORTH QUEENSLAND
GOLD COAST SHARKS
CANBERRA
NEWCASTLE
STGILLAWARRA in the gong full time
CENTRAL COAST BEARS
MANLY
PARRAMATTA
PENRITH
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
WELLINGTON BULLDOGS or leave them in sydney

now you could fiddle with it more and put teams in other places instead but you get what i mean.thats 16 teams there and in yrs to come maybe a team from PNG and 1 in alice springs or darwin(play at night when at home)
that leaves us with a great comp that yawion and GAY.F.L would be green with envy at.
with 18 teams you could play each team once and have room for an exspanded origin,more internationals and maybe a midweek knockout cup like they use to have.

Dogs Of War

Coach
This would be my ideal comp...

1. PERTH
2. ADELAIDE
3. MELBOURNE
4. NEW ZEALAND
5. BRISBANE
6. 2nd BRISBANE TEAM
7. NORTH QUEENSLAND
8. GOLD COAST
9. CANBERRA