What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New forward signing for the NQ Cowboys

Grantwhy

Juniors
hot off the NQ Cowboys Web Site

- - - - - - - -

SARGENT JOINS COWBOYS RANKS
2nd of September 2003

The North Queensland Toyota Cowboys today announced that Melbourne Storm prop, Mitchell Sargent had agreed to come to the club for the next 2 years.

The signing of the 24 year old is another important step towards the Toyota Cowboys future.

"Mitchell will add size and depth to our forward pack." "At 24 years of age, having played 20 first grade matches this year I think we have a player coming into the prime of his career". Coach Graham Murray said.

Mitchell was born at Canowindra in New South Wales, weights 107kgs stands 187cms and has spent the last two seasons with Melbourne. Mitchell made his first grade debut for Melbourne against Canberra round 1 2002.

Sargent joins Travis Norton from the Bulldogs Luke O’Donnell from Wests Tigers, Steve Southern and Mark Dalle Cort from the Dragons at the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys next season.

- - - - - - - -

A very good recruit for the Cowboys. :D

And I hear Tookey is off contract and unwanted by the Warriors.

I wonder if Tooks could survive Billy Johnstone :lol: (Cowboys trainer - ex-Bulldogs trainer)

sydraider

First Grade
I hope your new signings take you guys a few steps further next season, if there is one team i would like to see do well it is NQ, good luck for 2004

Grantwhy

Juniors
As a Cowboys fan i am quite happy with the way Muzza & Co. have gone about their recuriting.

They've had a good result from last years recruits, kept the most exciting younger players and the recruiting this year seems quite sensible :)

And I agree with Akzatro http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article/articletemp.asp?num=3169

In a couple of years the Cowboys could be providing as many if not more players for State of Origin than the Broncos :p

Kiwi

First Grade
Grantwhy said:
In a couple of years the Cowboys could be providing as many if not more players for State of Origin than the Broncos :p

I like the cowboys, but I doubt this will happen any time soon.

With Berrigans, Lockyer, Carlaw, Petero, Webb, Parker, Tate, Seymour, Thaiday, Stagg ect ect ect at the club, the Broncos will dominate the QLD team for many more years to come.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Grantwhy said:

With Berrigans, Lockyer, Carlaw, Petero, Webb, Parker, Tate, Seymour, Thaiday, Stagg ect ect ect at the club, the Broncos will dominate the QLD team for many more years to come.

Bowen, Sing, Hannay, Bowman ... the Cowboys can match the Broncos for Backs and perhaps even halves, the Broncos have been dominating the Forwards but that might be changing soon ;-)

Kiwi

First Grade
Grantwhy said:
Kiwi said:
Grantwhy said:

Bowen, Sing, Hannay, Bowman ... the Cowboys can match the Broncos for Backs and perhaps even halves, the Broncos have been dominating the Forwards but that might be changing soon ;-)

Bowen and Hannay or Bowman will play alot of origin, but Bowen will have to settle for the bench at best till Lockyer retires. Sing will be retired in a few years, maybe 2 no doubt.

On the halves, even with Ikin and Prince going, Berrigan, Seymour and McGuire give the Broncos stronger halves next year than the Cowboys.

Finally the forwards, not even close.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Kiwi said:
On the halves, even with Ikin and Prince going, Berrigan, Seymour and McGuire give the Broncos stronger halves next year than the Cowboys.
I don't know about that. Berrigan, Seymour and McGuire vs Norton, Sheppard and Fien. I'd take the Cowboys halves anyday, and I'm a Bronco fan. Berrigan may be a great player, but as a halfback he is crap. No passing skills, no organisation, no play-making. Put him in the centres and he'd probably make the test team, but he should not be in the halves. McGuire is very similar, although more willing to try his hand at setting up his outside men. Seymour is our only true half, and he is very young and inexperienced.

I really do hope the Cowboys can come good. It would be great for league in queensland to have them competing for the premiership. It would also make the rivalry with the Broncos something to look forward to.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Civoniceva and Swain aside, every bronco forward is grossly overated. Webcke and Tallis, in the last fortnight, have been completely outclassedby opponents. Carlaw, Webb, Myers et al are at best average first graders.

As for the others mentioned, Berrigan tries damn hard, but isn't halfback material. Tate is grossly overated - nowhere near the talent of Lyon, nor, sadly, Hodges. Lockeyer is class, undoubtedly, but to suggest that the rest will dominate maroon sides in the future is to suggest the current bronco favoritism will remain - to the detriment of Queensland.

bender

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Civoniceva and Swain aside, every bronco forward is grossly overated. Webcke and Tallis, in the last fortnight, have been completely outclassedby opponents. Carlaw, Webb, Myers et al are at best average first graders.

As for the others mentioned, Berrigan tries damn hard, but isn't halfback material. Tate is grossly overated - nowhere near the talent of Lyon, nor, sadly, Hodges. Lockeyer is class, undoubtedly, but to suggest that the rest will dominate maroon sides in the future is to suggest the current bronco favoritism will remain - to the detriment of Queensland.

To suggest that Webcke and Tallis are anything but two of the best forwards in the world is ridiculous, imo. Even if they are probably not quite as good as they are generally regarded, there is still no doubt that they are very close to the very best, in their respective positions. To Call Carlaw an average first grader is also a bit harsh. Carlaw is a little inconsistentbut on his day, he is as damaging as any forward running around. Tony Carroll is also a better than average lock. Meyers, Webb et al are all young and promising but are not as good as their origin status suggests, even though there origin performances have suggested they do have the ability to be good players.

Brisbane are a little out of sorts, but once the finals start they have a one in 8 chance and personally I would rate them as having as good or better chance than any other side in the finals.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Well, Parramatta, with a smallish pack, certainly leant weight to my point on Saturday night!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
This is the beginning of something big from the Cowboys, if they make the finals next year, I can assure you they will be a premiership contender in the years to come.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
That's very unfair to Webcke. He has been in awesome form ever since the test match, and then almost got knocked out in the game against NZ. The fact that he kept coming back on (and then having to go back off because he was bleeding again) and still made an impact shows how good he really is.

The thing about the Broncos forwards are that they are arguably the best forward pack in the comp. We are just too damn predictable, and that is because our halves aren't capable of getting it to our outside men. That means that just about every play the ball goes to one of our forwards and he hits it up. And this predictability allows the defence of the other team just to rush up and not have to worry about the play quickly moving to the other side of the field. That's not the forwards fault, they can't do anything about it. It's up to the halves to do something different, and they just aren't good enough to do it.

Despite how predictable we are and the defence rushing up against us, I believe we still lead the competition in ground made this year. That shows how good our forwards are, and they could be even better if our halves stepped up.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Oh, and your statement that Meyers is an average first grader is an insult to average first graders everywhere. He is possibly the worst player in the NRL to play regularly week-in week-out.

theicemandanno

Juniors
Misty Bee said:

"Civoniceva and Swain aside, every bronco forward is grossly overated. Webcke and Tallis, in the last fortnight, have been completely outclassedby opponents. Carlaw, Webb, Myers et al are at best average first graders."

In the last fornnight Tallis has played only one game, and for mine he was the best Broncos player on the night and looked dangerous with the ball.

(This from a Parra fan mind you.)

Alan Shore

First Grade
Mad Duck said:
Oh, and your statement that Meyers is an average first grader is an insult to average first graders everywhere. He is possibly the worst player in the NRL to play regularly week-in week-out.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts