What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2003 Rookie of the Year

Who do you think is the NRL's Rookie of 2003

• Total voters

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Was this Cameron Smith's first year? If so, he has to be on the list. I went for Firman, just ahead of Smith and Slater.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Mad Duck said:
Was this Cameron Smith's first year? If so, he has to be on the list. I went for Firman, just ahead of Smith and Slater.

I'd vote Smith if he was there. He only played one game in 2002, so he counts.

Anonymous

Juniors
This has to be the worst rookie of the year poll ever. Rookie of the year polls should actually have rookies in them. Kurt Gidley :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Kurt Gidley and Joel Monaghan made their debut in 2001. And Clinton and Harris made their debut in 2002. So how could you work out those players as rookies? :?

Players like Luke Covell, Cameron Smith wouldve been better rookies.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'd go for Firman for sure, although if Benji Marshall had played more games, who knows. I don't really rate Billy Slater, he's got abit of pace and abit of footwork but there have been plenty of players like that who have come to nothing, eg Brad Watts. In 5 years time Firman will be recognised as a better player than Slater without doubt.

Yeah Joely Monas is not a rookie. I think we've only blooded 3 rookies this year, Ben "Terminator" Cross, Mick "Get Outta My" Weyman & Jason "I Gotta Big" Bulgarelli. I could be missing someone, but to my recollection thats the only 3 we've chucked in this season. I think next year you'll see a plethora of good new Canberra rookies with all of our lower grade sides doing very well. Names like Marshall "Blackboard" Chalk, Matty Gaffa, Terry "Jr" Campese, Allan Rothery etc etc.

I'm working overtime to think of new nicknames for these kids. 8)

Dougie

Juniors
Brett Firman by the length of the straight....has been a standout in a Dragons lineup devout of most of its stars for most of the year....

Billy Slater a close second

Azkatro

First Grade
Cameron Smith for mine, who was the only rookie (afaik) to gain Origin selection. He's a big reason the Storm have been so much more consistent this year.

Shame I can't actually vote for him, isn't it?

Razor

Coach
Azkatro said:
Cameron Smith for mine, who was the only rookie (afaik) to gain Origin selection. He's a big reason the Storm have been so much more consistent this year.

Shame I can't actually vote for him, isn't it?

Smith isn't a rookie. He played 2 games last year. But if he was a rookie, yes it would be him.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
What ever happened to Brett Firman?

Is he still a card carrying member of the Communist Party?

Last edited:

Goldthorpe

Bench
Brett Firman by the length of the straight....

Billy Slater a close second
:crazy:

Haha

Recent Rookie of the Year Winners
2004: Karmichael Hunt [Broncos]
2005: Tim Smith [Eels] beat Greg Inglis [Storm]
2006: Jarryd Hayne [Eels]
2007: Israel Folau [Storm]
2008: Chris Sandow [Rabbitohs]
2009: Jamal Idris [Bulldogs]

Latest posts