What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine wake up - Great news: VICTORIAN VICTORY!

iggy plop

First Grade
The Storm should ensure 9 persist with live games. Ratings might not be good to begin with, but look at the swans over the years.

Years of live coverage and crap ratings, yet they persisted.

Difference is, AFL management pumped a lot of money into ensuring the Swans and AFL in general got media exposure in Sydney - plus they put money into junior development, with the results that club level AFL in Sydney is bigger than it's ever been (while the NRL watches by while the number of clubs playing league in the southern states continues to plummet).

The NRL has done absolutely jack down here... Serious, I'm getting pretty pissed off with the token lip service... 'Yes, yes, we support the Storm and their involvement in the NRL is vital to the future of the game - however, we can't be f**ked putting any money into development or putting rugby league on TV'.

Makes you wonder if they actually give a rat's about the game.

Johnny the Red said:
Tamazoid said:
Johnny the Red said:
incredible_holc said:
it was a crap time slot
never rated and the storm got bad crowds

Well have you noticed a significant increase in crowd numbers now that their games aren't being shown? I sure as hell haven't.

And what have the games been replaced with? Crappy re-re-re-re-re-re-run movies!
Yeah, good one. Ratings bonanza Nine have found for themselves there!

They have actually.

What??

The Crowd has increased over 400 people this year!!!

The cowds have increased significantly?

Or the crappy movies have been hugely successful?

JTR

Juniors
chemicalbrother said:
Johnny the Red said:
Tamazoid said:
Johnny the Red said:
incredible_holc said:
it was a crap time slot
never rated and the storm got bad crowds

Well have you noticed a significant increase in crowd numbers now that their games aren't being shown? I sure as hell haven't.

And what have the games been replaced with? Crappy re-re-re-re-re-re-run movies!
Yeah, good one. Ratings bonanza Nine have found for themselves there!

They have actually.

What??

The Crowd has increased over 400 people this year!!!

The cowds have increased significantly?

Or the crappy movies have been hugely successful?

WTF is that?? (in blue)

I didn't write that. Read the original post above....

sorry Johnny but storm games have been up 500 people in the last week of the NRL season!!!

and Average just under 10,000 a game!!! Compared to 6,000 at a Tigers match at Cambelltown

JTR

Juniors
chemicalbrother said:
sorry Johnny but storm games have been up 500 people in the last week of the NRL season!!!

and Average just under 10,000 a game!!! Compared to 6,000 at a Tigers match at Cambelltown

Yeah fair enough... and as I said earlier - I stand corrected.

That being said, it still sucks balls that the games aren't televised like they used to be.

Anything is better than nothing.

Okay, here's the general story on last year's situation. The Storm needed to improve awareness among Victorian public, so the club, NRL, and Channel 9 sat together and discussed about the best possible way to achieve this. They came up with putting Storm games every Saturday 3:00 p.m. so that Ch. 9 can show all games live with little interference to their normal programming. Saturday movies rated about the same probably, CMIIW. The hope was that more people get to watch the Storm on TV since in 2001 we had the worst year ever in terms of TV coverage.

Problem with that was channel 9 never showed any advertisement for it so no one apart from Storm fans and those with friends in the know, knew about it. The time slot was also bad as that is the same time as when families go to their kids' sporting activities. So the decision actually backfired big time. Those who were occassional supporter would watch the game on TV thinking why bother spending $15-$30 when it's live on free to air? So naturally, crowd support dropped considerably.

Plus, Storm had their worst year ever internally. Y'know, the coaching problem and the captain issue. Plus rumors were rife about moving to wherever, with our own CEO Chris Johns admitting to starting the rumor in the first place. It was probably a miracle we didn't finish as wooden spoon. Basically it was bad publicity all year round.

I don't know about this year's crowd as I'm no longer in Melbourne and only get news from the website and occasional sms from friends there.

olympic park

Juniors
Thunderstruck said:
Okay, here's the general story on last year's situation. The Storm needed to improve awareness among Victorian public, so the club, NRL, and Channel 9 sat together and discussed about the best possible way to achieve this. They came up with putting Storm games every Saturday 3:00 p.m. so that Ch. 9 can show all games live with little interference to their normal programming. Saturday movies rated about the same probably, CMIIW. The hope was that more people get to watch the Storm on TV since in 2001 we had the worst year ever in terms of TV coverage.

Problem with that was channel 9 never showed any advertisement for it so no one apart from Storm fans and those with friends in the know, knew about it.

this is exclusively where the problem lies.

there was no promotion whatsoever for the storm matches when they are showed on ch.9 - they expect everyone to just know its on and watch it. its also ironical that they will make sure an ad or 3 is shown for the AFL matches which they would be showing over the weekend as well.

it certainly doesnt help the storm's cause that the new head of sport at ch.9 in melbournian is someone tied up in the higher ranks of the AFL - a mr ian johnston and he goes about promoting AFL at a great level yet wont promote any other sports - including when nine has golf or tennis!!!

i'd love to see a short 30-second ad put on ch.9 and shown in decent times (say from 4pm onwards) promoting the game. something short, catchy and will stick in peoples minds.

it just has to say that the storm have come from no-where this season and its do or die time in the finals. then mention that its live coverage from the SFS from 3pm on sunday.

and watch the ratings rise!!!

Latest posts