What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The answer to a question

Suitman

Post Whore
Good point Sanders ;-)

It is hard to tell but to me it seemed that motivation WAS a problem in the early part of this season.

I would be confident in saying that a new coach COULD raise the standard next year. New coach. New ideas. New enthusiasm.
But as the Parraboy hastens to add, I'm not talking about a Langmack type.
More a Bellamy/Elliott/Anderson type. You know the type I mean.....the smarter ones.
Langmack couldn't recite the alphabet.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Motivation down right sucked in the first half of the year. :?

I don't disagree that new ideas from a new coach would be beneficial - and from all accounts the staff at the Eels is under change as well. John Frare is leaving as the Skills and Conditioning Coach, Flanagan (god bless his cotton socks) is off to the Bunnies? and there are apparently a few other persoonel changes. New faces in certain areas may help the situation.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Suitman said:
Another Smith lover with a load of sarcasm. Hardly worth a reply. But I will because I feel like it.
Another person happy with the current state of mediocrity.

Just remember Parraboy, I have NEVER said we should sack Smith.
But Suck ups like you and HJ should maybe just open your eyes a little and understand that maybe, just maybe, there might be a better option out there somewhere.
I will never be a puppet to this club becuase as the last 17 years have proved, they ain't perfect.And I DID say, I will SUPPORT smith NEXT YEAR. I have also said many times before that He has and is a bit of a hero of mine.

So don't throw misinterpretations back at me. You are the only one giving half a story.

As for Langmack and co, read my lips.
THERE ARE OTHER COACHES OUT THERE THAT CAN BE SUCCESSFUL.
I gave just two examples. iF OUR CLUB IS HALF AS SMART AS YOU THINK THEY ARE, WE WOULDN'T CHOOSE A DILL LIKE lANGMACK.

Suity

ahhh here we go all very defensive hey suity boy ? thanks for replying when you didnt see it worthy but did anyway, thats nice buddy :D (Im sure it was real hard) lol.I guess you wont be replying to this one then.....or will you, LMAO :-({|=

So you never said you want Smith sacked, hahahahah not in so many words. LMAO, Man can I call you eachwayplayitsafesuit ?? lol. At least Mysty has firm views on the coaching Ill give him credit for that. But you hahahahahaha. Sorry man, just find your style very funny.

You see I too was using "hindsight and convinience" in my post, just like you, However you call it misinterpretation, hahaha

The bottom line and the finale is this.......
QUOTE:"Another person happy with the current state of mediocrity"END QUOTE:",

if things are this low, this bad, What are the likes of you and Mysty doing about it? , other than repetitive threads saying the same thing over and over. Come on Suitboy lead us "puppets" to the evolution 8)...ROFLMAO....... \\:D/ (surely its not a new coach, cause you didnt say you want Smith sacked), hahahaahha :p

PS HJ cant open his eyes with all the grog and all at times, but geeez Ive got no excuse have I??,.... Maybe there is more to life than a game of footy after all ;-)

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm rather curious as to why you have to add "lol" and "HaHa Ha" after all your points. Are you worried others won't find them funny.

And my each way bet is that of an open mind.

Not to thrilled about Smiths year, but I will give him another go. Why do you have a problem with that approach.

Suity

Misty Bee

First Grade
Poojar, I have refrained from naming potential Smith replacements, simply because I am not in a position to give any clarity on the subject. Plus, that is anotrher problem. First, we have to agree that Smith needs to go.

I can't for the life of me imagine any of the current NRL coaches at Parra. To suggest names would be folly, but one stands out due to his past: Daniel Anderson.

Casting the net further, there is plenty of talent. Aussie Expats like Stuart Raper and Ian Millward could probably fill the viod. Most likely, however, is a current premier league coach, which Colonel has alluded to. Colonel, your choices are very good ones. Hoss Cartwright would be a very interesting prospect.

The only other name that coes to mind is Phil Economides. He was excellent with an ailing Gold Coast, and helped many young players blossom.

Colonel,as to your question, it depends on the situation. Brian Smith has developed many fine players who hopefully can carry Parra to a premiership in their time. However, if someone came along with roughly the same squad as Smith is struggling with, SHOULD he be enitiled to any praise? How could you praise Smith is someone else had to do the job with the same tools?

Parraboy, I don't understand why you seem to be bagging Suity for daring to suggest that Smith could be replaced? You might be happy with HJ's grogfests that coincide with games, but for some of us there is more important things to do at games, like watch the footy! Brian Smith is not employed to enterain drunk crossdressers after huge losses. He is there to PREVENT huge losses.

Don't bag our view if you couldn't give a rats arse if Parra win or not.

Eelectrica

Referee
Misty I totally agree with you in Phil Economedies (sp?). I wouldn't mind at all if he was the next Eels coach.
I don't know if he's a Queenslander but I'd love him to be the QLD origin coach replacing Bennet.

The Colonel

Immortal
Misty Bee said:
Colonel,as to your question, it depends on the situation. Brian Smith has developed many fine players who hopefully can carry Parra to a premiership in their time. However, if someone came along with roughly the same squad as Smith is struggling with, SHOULD he be enitiled to any praise? How could you praise Smith if someone else had to do the job with the same tools?

OK - turn it around whose fault would it be if the new coach struggled with the same players?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Hypothetical - depends on the situation.

And it's a totally defeatist question, Colonel, because it smacks of 'fear of change' and 'better the devil you know' philosophies.

Most likely the new coach WOULDN'T struggle.

Another point to consider. Ron Hilditch had only 1 year with a team full of gun players, and got the arse when he missed the [pl;ayoffs. And he would have had to contend with problems that Smith didn't - ie so many new big name players to a club.

Hilditch got the arse, why didn't Smith?

The Colonel

Immortal
Misty Bee said:
And it's a totally defeatist question, Colonel, because it smacks of 'fear of change' and 'better the devil you know' philosophies.

I am neither defeatist or have a fear of change - I have explored all the alternatives and am willing to listen to your point of view and offer my own opinions. If you don't like them then don't read them. I am asking for your opinion which you so freely give to anything apart from that which you cannot answer or refuse to answer. You label people with a fear of change because of their views - I think you fear a change from your point of view as well.

I have accepted that Smith will be the coach next year whether I like it or not. I have offered alternative coaches that can possibly make a difference. I have also considered the changes to the coaching staff that Brian is making and has been forced to make - these are positive changes that present new ideas to the club.

There is every indication that a new coach will struggle - Chris Anderson, Nathan Brown and Paul Langmack have all been given half decent sides with which to work with and they did struggle for a time. Brown has half the Australian side at his disposal and because of injury he couldn't make it

There is also an indication that a new coach will take time to find his feet. John Lang, Daniel Anderson and Matt Elliott all had teams that were inconsistent in their first years.

Craig Bellamy has worked hard to put his team in a top eight position - good on him. This may not necessarily happen. I sure as hell wish it would at Parramatta if a new coach did come in but change takes time.

Ricky Stuart could have not landed in a sweeter position if he tried. Murray and Gould had left the club in such a way that anyone coming in wouild have litle or no trouble of a great season. The help he had with Cartwright and Pay on his coaching staff was invaluable and Gould in his back pocket helped as well. Yes, he took them to the GF and he worked hard but would have been crucified had he not won.

Misty - have a look outside the "Smith must go circle" and have a balanced look at the scheme of things. You are very smart and intelligent and I think if you do have a more balanced look you can see that changes are being made that the club will benefit from. I do not wish to sway you from your current stance but maybe soften your outlook for next year.

I will concede however that if these changes do not work I will also be asking for a new coach - but I think the board will be too.

theicemandanno

Juniors
Some points to consider:

1. Lack of motivation in first half of season:

Could this have been caused by our winning of the 7s and becoming too confident or was it the loss of our best player, Nathan Hindmarsh, that led to our poor start.

2. Replacements for Smith:

Two great coaches have emerged from Smith's shadow: namely Daniel Anderson and Matthew Elliott. We will find our next (and most suitable) coach from this same shadow....JASON TAYLOR assisted by (hopefully) Dean Pay and a bolter in Paul Green.

3. Fan Support:

So you want BS gone. Dont whine on about it, just remember the sublime truth we as fans all hold, the want to see our team do well. So face the facts, BS is here for 2004 so support him and your team. Judge BS not by his past results, but by what he achieves next year.

Whether you are for or against BS, lets stop the debating. Remember we ALL want to see Parra doing well, so lets support the team and not judge them before the end of next season. Sure, be critical of this year, but dont pre-empt 2004 yet. Stay positive and supportive of yor team.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Colonel Eel said:
I am neither defeatist or have a fear of change - I have explored all the alternatives and am willing to listen to your point of view and offer my own opinions. If you don't like them then don't read them. I am asking for your opinion which you so freely give to anything apart from that which you cannot answer or refuse to answer. You label people with a fear of change because of their views - I think you fear a change from your point of view as well.

Yes, I have been through fear of change, and make a concious effort not to when change comes. However, I didn't refuse to answer, becuase there are too many variables.

If pused, I will say no. Reason? The coach needs at least a season to mould the team to his way of thinking. Yet I would be disappointed if under a new coach we didn't do better. Simply - as a club we should be in aposition to DO better, and I believe a new coach - one with ability and not a Langmack polyfiller coach - WILL do better.

I have accepted that Smith will be the coach next year whether I like it or not. I have offered alternative coaches that can possibly make a difference. I have also considered the changes to the coaching staff that Brian is making and has been forced to make - these are positive changes that present new ideas to the club.

I think we all agree that Smith will coach in 2004. The point is weather he deserves to be. Tehre is a difference.

There is every indication that a new coach will struggle - Chris Anderson, Nathan Brown and Paul Langmack have all been given half decent sides with which to work with and they did struggle for a time. Brown has half the Australian side at his disposal and because of injury he couldn't make it

Langmack had nothing to work with. Brown certainly didn't do much worse than Farrar last year, and lost barrett for a year. He also brought on Cooper, Firman, Tutt, Gorrell etc, and made a very good player in Mark Ridell. And he brought back Tingha. Ryles and Bailey held their rep jobs, so off the field it was VERY sucessful.

Anderson hacked at his side, and didn't replace the players he lost.

There is also an indication that a new coach will take time to find his feet. John Lang, Daniel Anderson and Matt Elliott all had teams that were inconsistent in their first years.
Daniel Anderson took his side to their highest position in his first year. Lang inherited Spoon winners. Elliot took the Raiders to the Semis. They were all successful.

Craig Bellamy has worked hard to put his team in a top eight position - good on him. This may not necessarily happen. I sure as hell wish it would at Parramatta if a new coach did come in but change takes time.

But it didn't take time with Bellamy, did it!

Ricky Stuart could have not landed in a sweeter position if he tried. Murray and Gould had left the club in such a way that anyone coming in wouild have litle or no trouble of a great season. The help he had with Cartwright and Pay on his coaching staff was invaluable and Gould in his back pocket helped as well. Yes, he took them to the GF and he worked hard but would have been crucified had he not won.

Stuart inherited a side EXACTLY like ours was in 2002. So if Ricky was set up, why did Brian Smith fail?

Are you happy with that? :D

The Colonel

Immortal
Yeah I'll agree with some of that however.

Elliot did make the semi finals however only fell in because a team lost not because his team won. If making the eight makes you successful than Brian has missed once in seven years. This makes his success rate 85.71% - pretty good in my opinon.

Brown did lose his playmaker Barrett - however we also lost our best player whioch you have said should not be an excuse :p . He did have Ryles, Bailey and Timmins in the test sides, brought in Tingha and Firman and pushed his side along. However with the side he had despite losing Barrett they should have been top four. Injuries slowed them towards the end however they shouldn't have been in that position either. Riddell was already a good player. Off field you will find they have a playmaker who doesn't want to be there and overpaid players who spend too much time on the bench then on the field. Not very successful when you view the whole story.

Lang did inherit a wooden spoon side - however the players that were there last year aside from a few young names were the team that finished 12th last year. There hasn't been much change in the side from last year aside from Preston.

Langmack started the year with a particularly good side - had a half decent coach been employed they would have made the eight. Stringer, Death, The Walker brothers, Richardson, Fletcher, Peters, Smith, Harrison, Hookey, Rigon, Fui Fui Moi Moi, Meredith etc. Many of these players have played Origin - Walker, Fletcher or have the ability to do so - Smith, Harrison, Stringer. Blind Freddie could have coached this mob. In this instance I think you can completely bag the coach.

Anderson was building a winning culture - but please any coach who can pick a no talent son like Jarrad Anderson shouldn't be coaching first grade. How many young blokes have they lost this year that should be playing first grade?

Stuart did inherit a side like ours. They struggled but came good at the end. Last year they were also in a position much like ours. If the bounce of the ball didn't favour them in the latter part of the 2002 season they too would have been sitting where we are now. The big difference for him was Fittler and Wing - we did not have settled playmakers last year - admittedly when Smith brough McFadden along I thought we would be looking considerably better however his style didn't suit us. Sure they lost Green in the beginning of the year however they were also blessed with Wing to take over and Bonnetti at hooker. We had Dykes injured, McFadden out of favour and waited far too long to try Drew who wasn't exactly the right answer anyways. Put Fittler and Wing in last years team - I could guarantee Smith would have had the trophy!

Anderson did take his side to their highest position in his first year. Again the difference for them was a settled halves combination.

Bellamy - is a deadset freak. To take the team to where they are he has done a fantastic job. In my mind easily the coach of the year. He has had a pretty good core team to work with despite missing Howe, Ross, Hill and Moule. They have many underrated players - and some exciting youngsters who in years to come will be common place in the Qld side - Smith, King, Turner and Slater. It will be interesting to see how well they travel next year.

:D

Ron Jeremy

Coach
"Anderson was building a winning culture - but please any coach who can pick a no talent son like Jarrad Anderson shouldn't be coaching first grade. How many young blokes have they lost this year that should be playing first grade?"

Look i don't want to sound biased but i happen to be friends & have known Jarrod for many years & i must say he's a fantastic player who was the star of our age group while playing JR RL in the Canterbury district well ahead of the likes of Mark Riddel!!

His form has been ok for a bloke in his first year of First Grade!!

The Colonel

Immortal
He is an ok player - I know no talent is a bit harsh - up to NRL standards not exactly. A good goalkicker who really only got in because they didn't have one while Kimmorley was out. He will struggle next year with Vagana and Merritt in the squad because they will have to find a place for Kent and the other young fellow that was injured early - Franze. McGoldrick will be back with them anyway. One of my mates is an assistant for first division and some of the young blokes who probably should have played ahead of him are fed up and leaving the club next year.

They had the same problem at Melbourne with Ben Anderson - part of the reason Anderson left anyway.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Colonel Eel said:
He is an ok player - I know no talent is a bit harsh - up to NRL standards not exactly. A good goalkicker who really only got in because they didn't have one while Kimmorley was out. He will struggle next year with Vagana and Merritt in the squad because they will have to find a place for Kent and the other young fellow that was injured early - Franze. McGoldrick will be back with them anyway. One of my mates is an assistant for first division and some of the young blokes who probably should have played ahead of him are fed up and leaving the club next year.

They had the same problem at Melbourne with Ben Anderson - part of the reason Anderson left anyway.

I agree with your assesment on Ben!!....Ben was never a star in the age group or a top player...he never deserved to even be near a Storm jumper and i feel this was a big injustice to the storm players at the time!!

Jarrod didn't play League for a couple of years & only in the last 2 years decided to start playing again.....i guess he just didn't know what he wanted but?? believe me he's a much much better player then what Ben is & he has terrific speed!!

I do agree he will find it hard to find a spot next year in the side but?? i think he will get better & if there was one player that we all thought would go the distance in League it was Jarrod.........he was ten times the player Riddell was in the juniors!!

Suitman

Post Whore
Colonel Eel said:
Misty Bee said:

Misty - have a look outside the "Smith must go circle" and have a balanced look at the scheme of things. You are very smart and intelligent and I think if you do have a more balanced look you can see that changes are being made that the club will benefit from. I do not wish to sway you from your current stance but maybe soften your outlook for next year.

I will concede however that if these changes do not work I will also be asking for a new coach - but I think the board will be too.

Sanders,

I like your train of thought, and that is exactly where I'm coming from as well.
It seems that some misunderstand me. Maybe, I just don't explain myself properly.

I like Smith. I want him to succeed. But my patience is wearing thin. And he is certainly partly responsible for much of our dismal past two seasons.

Suity

Latest posts