What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL is the biggest sport in Australia - Eddie Mcguire

Is AFL the biggest Sport in Australia

• Yes

Votes: 40 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 60.4%

• Total voters

Parrasque

Juniors
Just saw on TV eddie mcguire said AFL is the biggest sport in Australia.

If this is how the Channel 9 CEO is thinking, NRL coverage could be in for some tough times.

Timbo

Staff member
He's on the board of Souths now isnt he?

He's partially correct-It's the biggest WINTER sport in Australia. Cricket blows it out of the water as a national sport.

ali

Bench
I wont deny it. They have us on crowd numbers and participation numbers. We may rival them when it comes to TV. But I can't deny they have our measure overall.

By the way, I can't see this as anything bad for RL. It's not like the AFL rights are up for grabs. If anything, it's good Eddie has moved north, as he'll see what a great and popular sport RL is.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Rugby League won't be in for some rough times with regards to coverage since 9 is about to say goodbye to their AFL rights.

Timbo

Staff member
It's still a misleading question!

In EVERY category it gets mowed down by cricket. So no!

If the question was 'Is AFL bigger than RL' then my answer would be yes.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Timbo said:
It's still a misleading question!

In EVERY category it gets mowed down by cricket. So no!

If the question was 'Is AFL bigger than RL' then my answer would be yes.

Agreed Timbo. :D

*Paul*

Juniors
Although cricket's second tier is fairly anonymous, something for which we bag Yawnion.

iggy plop

First Grade
AFL is Australia's biggest winter sport, but can't claim 2 of the 3 largest states.

Rugby league is New South Wales and Queensland's biggest winter sport (2 of the 3 largest states), but is virtually non-exsistent in the AFL states.

Cricket is our biggest sport overall - covers the entire nation and owns Summer.

Union does well in that massive place called Canberra (when the Brumbies are firing), otherwise it owns nothing.

Soccer has moderate spread of popularity all over the country.

LESStar58

Referee
AFL is like watching 36 drunken bogans chasing a fiver blowing arond in a windy alley...and its full of administartors who are bigger scum than the players. The amount of sh*t swept under the carpet is phenomenal and the excuse they offer in defense of themselves and/or their players is disgusting!

Inferno

Coach
iggy plop said:
AFL is Australia's biggest winter sport, but can't claim 2 of the 3 largest states.

Rugby league is New South Wales and Queensland's biggest winter sport (2 of the 3 largest states), but is virtually non-exsistent in the AFL states.

Cricket is our biggest sport overall - covers the entire nation and owns Summer.

Union does well in that massive place called Canberra (when the Brumbies are firing), otherwise it owns nothing.

Soccer has moderate spread of popularity all over the country.

Thats a pretty good breakdown.

Pigskin

Juniors
fishing is the biggest sport in australia for participants

closely followed by netball

but to answer the poll as it was intended, AFL smokes RL in a lot of ways

Oink !

Master Vippo

Juniors
Although i hate to admit it, and RL is a much better soprt, AFL has much more nation wide coverage, and is probably more popular all over. RL is mostly a east coast sport. It shows when u see that RL games are hardly shown around AUS while we have to sit and watch AFL games here in Newcastle

iggy plop

First Grade
Pigskin said:
fishing is the biggest sport in australia for participants

closely followed by netball

but to answer the poll as it was intended, AFL smokes RL in a lot of ways

Oink !

But it's not Australia's biggest sport.

Cricket is.

So no is the correct answer to the poll.

iggy plop

First Grade
vippo19 said:
Fair point Mr Plop, but which is bigger? AFL or NRL?

AFL is bigger than NRL as I said earlier, but that's not the poll question.

Would you agree that Cricket is our biggest sport? (sticking to the actual poll question). It rules in summer and is number one in every state or territory.

sunny

depends how you look at it- every sport could be #1 in some way or another

soccer probably #1 in terms of participants, afl in crowds, cricket in national coverage, rl in that it's the biggest sport in the biggest city and market in the country, etc.

sharkadelic

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
AFL is like watching 36 drunken bogans chasing a fiver blowing arond in a windy alley...and its full of administartors who are bigger scum than the players. The amount of sh*t swept under the carpet is phenomenal and the excuse they offer in defense of themselves and/or their players is disgusting!

That sums it up for me.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I hate to say this, but how is cricket bigger than AFL?? AFL would kill it in terms of crowds, National TV ratings, sponsorship, merchandise etc... So would RL in my opinion...

There are 2 big Test matches a year in cricket - Sydney and Melbourne, and a couple of one dayers... I went to a one dayer between Aus and South Africa in Melbourne this year and the crowd was 24,000.....

Latest posts