What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL is the biggest sport in Australia - Eddie Mcguire

Is AFL the biggest Sport in Australia

• Yes

Votes: 40 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 60.4%

• Total voters

Beaches Boy

Juniors
Wait for the World Cup this year, once Australia goes though too the 2nd round I trully beleive we will have our number one sport. RL & AFL will remain at the top of the winter football TV ratings in Australia but in terms of $$$ & participants no other team sport will even come close.

Timbo

Staff member
BuffaloRules said:
I hate to say this, but how is cricket bigger than AFL?? AFL would kill it in terms of crowds, National TV ratings, sponsorship, merchandise etc... So would RL in my opinion...

There are 2 big Test matches a year in cricket - Sydney and Melbourne, and a couple of one dayers... I went to a one dayer between Aus and South Africa in Melbourne this year and the crowd was 24,000.....

I suggest you have a looksee at the Cricket ratings over summer and how much 9 coughed up when they were due.

markstan

Juniors
Timbo said:
I suggest you have a looksee at the Cricket ratings over summer and how much 9 coughed up when they were due.

Well Summer is a non ratings period i thought! How much exactly did nine pay surely it wouldn't be that much. I dont doubt that cricket is probably alround the most popular sport but surely it wouldn't be that far ahead.

On to McGuire something to me smells fishy 9 pritty much suck still. Eddie has done nothing for 9 and the way they go through staff one must question wether his tenure will last much longer. I have a feeling that cos McGuire wasn't rating, they offered him CEO, which he's crap at. With all the shows he had he would have been on a massive contract offering him the CEO role would make it easier to fire him and in the long run could probably be less costly. All i have heard about McGuire is he has good business contacts. Why would 9 hire someone who's ratings were on the downhill big time, an appoint them to basically get there ratings back up, it dosen't make sense. The other options, either 9 has gone stupid after Kerry died, or Eddie McGuire's got James around his little finger.

Misty Bee

First Grade
And what market are the cricket ratings taken in? Whats their opposition? First half of the season, re runs of Bing Crosby's Christmas Special. Second half, Tennis.

Remember when they played a cricket one dayer at the Telstra Dome in June? No bugger went.

Cricket claiming to be king is like bragging about being president of Antarctica. Like it's no real feat if there is no opposition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
when the WA team play in the state cricket comp the WACA is lucky to have about 20 old codgers in the stands!

AFL wins hands down as Australia's biggest sport. Until we are national with succesful teams in the major states it will always be so.

DJ1

Juniors
The Iron chef is bigger!

or do you mean "biggest" as in "how many players on the field at any one time?"

magpie_man

Juniors
afl is australia's biggest sport.
cricket has the luxury of being played in summer and not competing head-to-head with the football codes. if the nrl or afl seasons were moved to summer, cricket would get annihilated.
overall your list would go:

afl
nrl
*daylight*
soccer
cricket
yawnyawn

Steel Dragon

Bench
I think it all depends on wether you define "biggest" as most participants, most spectators, or bigger reputation.

As far as most participants go i think Soccer and Netball would be right up there. Globally they rank #1 and #2. Cricket would be ahead of all the (non soccer) football codes. Then Aussie Rules, then its a toss up between the two Rugbys.

Then concerning spectators - you have to take crowd AND tv audiences into account. I think Aussie Rules wins from Rugby League with Cricket in third. Only because cricket is rarely aired during prime time on free to air. I believe Aussie's attention spans mean they'll prefer any 2 hour football match to 10 hours of cricket. There are still alot of Cricket viewers but compare 1-day cricket finals to state of origin or AFL finals - footy wins everytime.

Finally - Reputatuon. I think AFL wins this one. I hate to say it but because they play it at a higher level in more states - its more widely known. Any of us red blooded league-heads would have more idea of the ins and outs of AFL than those holier than thou pompous wankers who support AFL would know about league. That being said: How about those West Coast Eagles?!!? 2 from 2! Come On!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Timbo said:

I must have missed that story...

Was it more than $780 mil for the next 5 years like the AFL got?

Was it even more than what RL is going to get??

Hoops

Juniors
On key Indicators AFL kicks the NRLs butt and I doubt any other sport woud come close apart from participation

Head Body revenue
AFL = $203.4m
NRL = $100m

Club Revenue
AFL = ~ 26m
NRL = the few reports that I've seen indicates to me that the average club revenue would be <12m

Attendances
AFL = 6,282,485(H&A) + 480,134 (Finals) =6,762,559
NRL = 2,964,288(H&A) + 312,387 (Finals) =3,276,675

Grass roots Participation
AFL = 641,000
NRL = 350,000

TV Viewers
AFL = 4m (weekly)
NRL = ~150,000 x 5 (pay TV) +~1m (FNF) + ~750,000 (Sun arvo) = ~2.5m

Noa

First Grade
magpie_man said:
afl is australia's biggest sport.
cricket has the luxury of being played in summer and not competing head-to-head with the football codes. if the nrl or afl seasons were moved to summer, cricket would get annihilated.
overall your list would go:

afl
nrl
*daylight*
soccer
cricket
yawnyawn

I'm suprised it took so long for some-one to point that out. I'd even put the cricket behind soccer.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hoops said:
On key Indicators AFL kicks the NRLs butt and I doubt any other sport woud come close apart from participation

Head Body revenue
AFL = $203.4m
NRL = $100m

Club Revenue
AFL = ~ 26m
NRL = the few reports that I've seen indicates to me that the average club revenue would be <12m

Attendances

AFL = 641,000
NRL = 350,000

TV Viewers
AFL = 4m (weekly)

Well said mate. All those figures seem correct.

iggy plop

First Grade
Hoops said:

Head Body revenue
AFL = $203.4m
NRL = $100m

Club Revenue
AFL = ~ 26m

Attendances

AFL = 641,000
NRL = 350,000

TV Viewers
AFL = 4m (weekly)

Nobody is doubting the fact that AFL beats the NRL overall in Australia. Let's put that one to bed, we all agree with you. The absolute one-eyed fanatasim the AFL enjoys in Victoria certainly gives it a huge boost.

It's just not our national sport, cricket is.

Below the Swans (just one club), Australian Rules is virtually irrelevant in Australia's largest city. Cricket is a very popular sport right around the country. Yes, in Melbourne AND Sydney - something the AFL and NRL cannot claim.

Go cricket!

iggy plop

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
And what market are the cricket ratings taken in? Whats their opposition? First half of the season, re runs of Bing Crosby's Christmas Special. Second half, Tennis.

Remember when they played a cricket one dayer at the Telstra Dome in June? No bugger went.

Cricket claiming to be king is like bragging about being president of Antarctica. Like it's no real feat if there is no opposition.

Cricket and its players have a huge profile all across the whole of the country. It's not the sort of sport that people can attend with ease, but most sports nuts will know the score and have a keen interest in what's going on.

I'm sure the upcoming Ashes series will hold more interest Australia-wide than the current AFL or NRL seasons. AFL and NRL are just easier sports to package because they are over in a short period of time. Of course the few sports fans in Australia who hate cricket will have differing opinions.

1.Cricket
2.AFL
3.League

BuffaloRules

Coach
But below the National level, cricket hasn't got anything...As someone else said, its like Yawnion in that respect...