What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was Penrith's Win Legal?

When the NRL released the final standings in the "criteria" at the end of 1999. The bottom teams were:

Penrith
Manly
Norths
Souths

The courts subsequently found that the criteria was biased against Souths. Manly and Norths merged. Which leaves Penrith last -- and the team that should have been thrown out of the competition.

With that in mind, is Penrith's grand final win legal?

At the very least, I think a huge asterisk has to be placed next to Penrith's name.

They're the premiers, but the reality is, they are in the competition only thorugh News Ltd skullduggery.

And that's a fact.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Mate stop relating to the past and look at this year. Minor premiers, Premiers....2003........ PENRITH! You can't do nothing about it.

salivor

First Grade
You tell em blind willie mctell, let them all know from your rocking chair on your porch about how you survived the "war".

Evilgrowler

First Grade
Blind Willie McTell said:
At the very least, I think a huge asterisk has to be placed next to Penrith's name.

They're the premiers, but the reality is, they are in the competition only thorugh News Ltd skullduggery.

And that's a fact.

Let's see the facts. Where are they? The fact that you say it's so doesn't mean shit. Produce a link that will direct us to these alleged facts. Blind? I think you are. I have no problem with Penrith and their season.

Full credit to them. Only a green eyed supporter would try and dampen that. They have had no success since 1991. Let them enjoy it you clown. I bet you call yourself a league fan. Thumbs down to you pal.

CliffyGC

Juniors
When the NRL released the final standings in the "criteria" at the end of 1999. The bottom teams were:

Penrith
Manly
Norths
Souths

The courts subsequently found that the criteria was biased against Souths. Manly and Norths merged. Which leaves Penrith last -- and the team that should have been thrown out of the competition.

And that's a fact.
wrong wrong wrong

rather fitting Nick
Blind.

Manly were quite high up.
When u consider 1996,1997 were apart of the equation.
Manly were ahead
of Sharks
North Queensland
Auckland
Penrith
Norths
Balmain
Wests
Souths

Manly merged with norths for 3 reasons

1) NRL pressured them in to it to get comp down to 14 teams
2) Norths were broke and we (manly) would get upperhand in merger
3) Manlys financialsstocks had been eroded fighting (UNFUNDED BY OPTUS-UNLIKE PARRA, ROOSTERS and NEWCASTLE) the SL battle for the ARL.

So mate get your facts straight.

Who here is SICK OF WANKERS in here trying to belittle the achievements of other clubs. Its nothing but jealously. Roosters one in 2002 because they deserved it, Penrith won this year because they deserved it.

If your team like mine struggled in 2003 GET OVER IT and look forward in hope for an improved 2004.

roostergirl

Juniors
What is it with The Sharks Fans??? Trying to bring everyone down to their level.....gee who is next?????

Penrith won 2003......End of Story.

mullet

Juniors
roostergirl said:
What is it with The Sharks Fans??? Trying to bring everyone down to their level.....gee who is next?????

Penrith won 2003......End of Story.

he's not a sharks fan :roll:

roofromoz

First Grade

Penrith
Manly
Norths
Souths

And that's a fact.

Uh, whatever. :roll:

Anonymous

Juniors

Penrith
Manly
Norths
Souths

And that's a fact.

Blind Willie McTell, I have to say that is tremendous for its inventiveness.

But as Captain Mainwaring would say, 'Boy, you are living in the realms of fantasy.' :lol: ;-)

Raider_69

Post Whore
its a shame this post didnt come a week sooner
you could have gone pretty close to tool of the year!

Raider_69 said:
its a shame this post didnt come a week sooner
you could have gone pretty close to tool of the year!

:lol: :lol: I reckon aye.....
Penrith won it, they deserved to win it!! And im happy they won the comp this year. JUST GET OVER IT!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Earl said:
Not a Roosters fan are we?

Rooster Cogburn in disgiuse maybe?

If you read his other posts you'll see he's a Roosters fan.

I think I know what sent Willie blind.

Penrith
Manly
Norths
Souths

And that's a fact.
:lol: Get a life u nark. You sound like a supporter of one of the dead clubs.

Misty Bee

First Grade
fair go you lot!

There is no Question that Penrith were deserved premiers. None whatsoever.

Yet 5 years ago their stature was totally different. Penrith WERE no. 14, with Souths omitted. And, during the court case, Penrith fans were very vocal AGAINST Souths.

I reckon it's not a bad historical twist, and utter proof once and for all that the Criteria was a total and utter load of BULLSHIT!

iggy plop

First Grade

Penrith
Manly
Norths
Souths

And that's a fact.

There should be more security at the nuthouse I'm tellin' ya!

Cliffy GC said:
3) Manlys financialsstocks had been eroded fighting (UNFUNDED BY OPTUS-UNLIKE PARRA, ROOSTERS and NEWCASTLE) the SL battle for the ARL.

Sorry Cliffy, Parra only got $250k from the ARL, and not one single team in the comp got less, not even Manly.

On the topic, however - you are an idiot. Leave them alone. They suck, but they still won, and good luck to em.