What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 (2006) Eels v Rabbitohs

Pistol

Coach
Parramatta Eels v South Sydney Rabbitohs

Venue: Parramatta Stadium
ground_parra_1.jpg

Crowd: TBA. Referee: antonius
• This is a game thread only, therefore only game-related posts can be made here. Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.

• Home team captain will be allowed 3 reserves, visiting captain will be allowed 2 reserves.

• Captains must post their entire team (including reserves) before posting and only those players listed may play this round.

Rules of play: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp

Full Time: WEDNESDAY 17th of May at 9:00PM (SYD TIME)

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

Vaealikis Girl

Juniors
The Eels take the field with a few tired but enthusiastic players backing up after the test:

1. filthy_spammers
7. eloquentEEL
8. The Colonel
11. Goleel
12. PARRA_FAN

Reserves:
2. bubbles
4. Vaealikis Girl
15. sooperdooper

Pistol

Coach
The Rabbitohs take the field for this clash

rabs
Olympic Park
paulquinn49
Franko
lockyno1

Pistol (c)
Clevo

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lockyno1 takes the first hit up for Souths.

THE RISE OF THE “EXCITEMENT MACHINES”

In recent times we have seen the rise of many excitement machines in rugby league. In the end, fans of the various clubs travel to the football to see these types of players.

I have always gone to the league to see these players. I started following rugby league and the Broncos after seeing the Pearl, Steve Renouf, in action. I will always remember my first league game I went to and I went back home with my parents after the conclusion of this game wanting to know more about rugby league. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would follow a sport religiously since seeing one player! This is very similar in today’s society whereby a new breed of youngsters are drawn to the game by these new excitement machines.

We fast forward to the new millennium whereby we had a grand final last year featuring two of the very best excitement machines in the game- Matt Bowen and Benji Marshall. This game was the perfect finale to rugby league for the year 2005. It also enabled more, new fans to get involved afterwards and start watching the game. This has to be put down to not only the great game of rugby league prospering into the new millennium but also the introduction of real excitement machines into our game. Many people went away from the 2005 Grand Final trying to replicate both Benji Marshall and “that pass” and Matt Bowen and his step. This can be only positive for the game of rugby league.

In fact I would go further in saying that the increase in participation rates in the younger generation has been partly due to the increases in these particular “excitement machines”. More and more youngsters want to play league, this will have a dramatic impact in the future where these young players will be on television showing the fans what they can do on the field. However the NRL needs to have more programs to encourage young players to take up our great game and to try to encourage them to be the next Benji.

Nowadays, there has been an increase in marketing for females to attend rugby league. Now I know part of the reason is to see the “hotties”, but also it has to be noted that the increase in females watching league is also because of the excitement machines raging from Benji to Bowen to Anthony Minichello. This will be an area that the NRL will want to improve and I am sure improvements in this area will be steady and growing into the next time frame. To increase the support for both females and males, the excitement machines will play key roles in gathering an increase in support for our great game.

Now with all that on board it is essential to say that excitement machines are essential for rugby league. They provide an atmosphere and drag people to the games. These types of players like Benji, Bowen, Inglis, and Minichello among others encourage people to travel to all corners of the country to watch their side play. This is a very encouraging sign for rugby league in the future. The more people watching our game, the more chance of the corporate sector becoming involved in our great game. The participation rates among youngsters continue to rapidly increase and this can be put down to many youngsters wanting to become the next “excitement machine”, which is extremely positive for league as it tries to compete with union and other sports with participation levels amongst the teenagers in Australian society. The other important area that these players are greatly used by the NRL is in the area of marketing especially to young males and females. In order for this to be effective there needs to be “excitement machines” that encourage more fans to become supporters of our great game. Therefore, it is essential that new “excitement machines” come through the ranks and become the new Benji. These players are essential to the overall success of our code. The more exciting players, the more fans and therefore the more interest in rugby league. In the end it is up to the code to keep these players in the game, and if the NRL does this then the NRL has nothing to worry about well into the next century.

734 words.

rabs

Staff member
rabs for Souths takes it up

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Eddie: Welcome to our special Rugby League edition of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Tonight’s guest is St. George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier. In the audience we have a couple of Marks teammates here to support him, welcome also to Matt Cooper, Ben Hornby and Luke Bailey.

Ok Mark here is your first question:
You are selected to play for New South Wales in the ultimate Rugby League arena of State of Origin. How do you prepare for this momentous occasion?
A – Break the camp curfew, get pissed as a fart, make sexually harassing phone calls to a lady on someone else’s mobile phone and subsequently be kicked out of the team.
B – Prepare for the camp professionally, abide by the origin camp rules and go out and play a great game for your state.
Mark: Lock in A please Eddie.

Eddie: Correct! now let’s move on to question two.
Since your First Grade debut in 2000 how many games have you played on average per season?
A – 16
B – 21

Eddie: Correct! now for question three.
How many positions have you played regularly for your club, and what are those positions?
A – Two (wing and centre)
B – Two (fullback and halfback)

Eddie: Correct! now question four.
How many positions have you played regularly for your club that are considered to be in the Big 4 of 1,6,7,and 9?
A – NONE in the Big 4
B – BOTH in the Big 4

Eddie: Correct! now for the million dollar question Mark.
The Australian Rugby Union has made a habit in recent years of making huge offers to undisciplined Rugby League players, has the ARU made such an offer to you?
A – Yes, the ARU has made me a massive offer despite the fact I am an injury prone player with a record of indiscretions to my name.
B – No, the ARU has not made me any offer as I am an ever-reliable player with a clean bill of health and I keep my nose clean.

Eddie: Correct! Congratulations Mark, you have won the right to a million dollars. Whether it is from the ARU, from your club St. George Illawarra who now have the money from Trent Barrett to give to you or from us here at Channel Nine protecting our investment in Rugby League, you are now a millionaire in waiting!

Cross to the audience where Marks team-mates are smiling and happy at his success, but Ben Hornby also has this look of confusion on his face. You see Ben found all the questions rather familiar in that the alternate (and incorrect) answers would have been the ones he would have picked. They would also have been the correct answers if Ben had been sitting in the chair.

This just goes to prove that Rugby League is as fickle as any other aspect of society in the current. If I were the CEO at St. George Illawarra I would be letting Gasnier go to union or England if he wants the massive bucks and ensuring that players like Ben Hornby are wrapped up for the rest of their careers. Too often Rugby League CEO’s get caught up in the hype and let the best ones slip through their fingers. The Saints have an embarrassment of riches and keeping their roster under the cap is undoubtedly one of the hardest CEO jobs in the game. Gasnier just isn’t worth more than 300k per season and I know he has accepted cuts in the past to stay with the club and we must applaud him for this. However the issue here is the club and the media hype surrounding Gasniers options. All the Rugby League CEO’s have an obligation to the club and not any one player. Trent Barretts huge salary when combined with his injury woes is an immediate reminder of the perils of putting a lot of your eggs in one basket.

Bottom line: Ben Hornby is way more valuable to the club then Gasnier in my opinion. That flashy red Ferrari driving down the street is a pretty sight to watch but give me that reliable old Volvo station wagon any day!

732 words in the counter

PARRA_FAN

Coach
PARRA_FAN, back for the Eels, gets his opportunity

City Vs Country Annual Clash- it’s here to stay

Recently there have been critics calling for the City/Country clash to be scrapped and describing it as a “waste of time”. However I think the match is not just an Origin selection trial, but it gives a wider opportunity for players to play representative football. The match is also a traditional clash, that goes back to 1908 and since it became an Origin match in 1987, it has been a success.

A lot of diehard supporters didn’t agree for its axing in 1998, as it was mainly an Origin selection trial. It meant players who picked in the Anzac Test were automatically selected for State of Origin, barring suspensions and injuries. However there were still a number spots left to be decided. Players at NRL level filled the remaining positions. Back then all teams played every week, however if it happened in today’s competition, it wouldn’t be an advantage to the team with the bye the same weekend the Origin teams are selected. Imagine a player who had given his best week in week out and wants the opportunity to play State Of Origin, and then the weekend they select the Origin teams, his team has the bye. I know the selectors should be looking at all 15 teams, but I think an Origin selection trial is much more suitable.

When the NRL decided to bring back the match in 2001, the fans were happy to see it come back. The match was played at Bathurst on the weekend of the State Of Origin, and whilst it might not have been an Origin trial, it certainly gave the opportunity for players to step up at the representative level. Since they brought it back, players like Minichello, Gasnier, Tahu, Buderus, Fitzgibbon and Simpson, who all made their debut in that famous match, have since made their mark at Origin and Test level. It wasn’t for that game in 2001, do you reckon any of those players would’ve got the opportunity sooner or later?

Taking the match to New South Wales regional areas has certainly changed the game in the “country”, supporters are now able to see their local players compete at a high level. It’s also an opportunity for the Rugby League supporters in the country to see the best players in the NRL. Its not often they see their heroes close up and have their local ground filled with numbers. We don’t want to make them feel left out, that’s why the City/Country match should be played in the Country.

Over the years players have become more and more passionate for their team, whether its City or Country, they’ve been proud to wear the traditional jumper. Take Laurie Daley for example, a player who grew up and played his junior football in Junee, inspired Country to their famous win in 1992, giving them their first victory since the clash become Origin in 1987. Another example, Joel Clinton, playing for City in 2003 got his first opportunity having not played many NRL games, showed a lot of passion coming from the bench when he put a big hit on Country forward Willie Mason and after the tackle he famously put his fist in the air with pride. There is certainly a lot of passion from both sides.

In recent times, the games have been close and more interesting. City have been the underdogs and won. In 2003, Country were filled with many Australian representatives like Johns, Buderus, Barrett, Mason, Fitzgibbon and Kennedy, and it was the first match since 1996 where all players were available for match. Country were favourites to win, however it was the City boys led by Robbie Kearns, who snuck home in the end to win 17-16. It shows over the years the matches have been unpredictable. Take last weekend’s match for example, City were long odds to win the match, but in the end it was Country who got home 12-10 with a try in the dying minutes to winger Anthony Quinn. After the try had been scored, the Country players celebrated and showed their emotion, it was almost like they won the Grand Final because they showed passion for the Country jersey. It was great for Andrew Ryan playing in front of his home town and leading Country to victory, something not many players get the opportunity to do.

So I think the City verses Country clash is good for our game and shouldn’t be scrapped. Why fix something that’s not broken?

747 words, not including title.

paulquinn49

Bench
The Chronicles of Melbourne: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I have always liked the Melbourne Storm, it was a ballsy move in 98 when they came into the NRL. If you ask people today, some will say they are a failure, the game cannot grow there, there is no future, and they should be kicked out or relocated.

I consider the Melbourne Storm a very successful franchise, look at what they did first year. They got to the finals and gave it a real shake, the next year, their second year winning the whole thing. Rugby League in Victoria, 2 years old, made the finals 2 years running, 1 premiership.

We fast forward to 2006, no further premiership glory and their crowds are disappointing, but they continue to grow, or at least turn up in consistent numbers. Melbourne hasn’t taken the town by storm, no pun intended, but they have cracked the AFL dominated market.

The Lion: To take Rugby League to Melbourne you have to have the heart of a lion. It’s a hard sell, no one knew what Rugby League was and no one cared. The battle didn’t come in 1998, it came as soon as the fulltime siren sounded when Melbourne Storm won the grand final. From that point on they were a great team, a worthy team and everyone expected a lot more of the team from down Mexico way.

They now had fans, recognition and awareness yet despite making the finals consistently Rugby League fell off the map for a while. Brett Kimmorley left and the team was expected to fall into a black hole.

Then came what Melbourne and Queensland had been hoping would happen for a long time, promising juniors emerged and thrived in Melbourne. Kids from North Queensland who were ignored by the Cowboys were taken to Melbourne and became crowd favourites. Billy Slater and Cameron Smith burst onto the scene, then going on to State of Origin honours. They were now recognisable faces the Storm fans could depend on. Throw in other names like Inglis, King, Cronk and the now departed Bell and Orford and the lion had found its roar.

The Witch: Despite having a winning percentage many teams would dream of the crowds traditionally remain small. AFL is a religion in Victoria, so at times it appeared almost impossible for any impressionable kid to even see NRL, let alone adopt it as a preferred sport.

Most of us think AFL is the witch, but hats off to them they need to protect their code and interests, same as we do in Sydney with League. The real witch in this situation would be the media in Victoria. Even with the success of the club, they receive little or no attention in television or in the papers. In Sydney we give every code a fair run in all media outlets, something that unfortunately is not matched in Melbourne.

The tide is slowly changing with a steady stream of representative players and a few cult figures. The ARL is making progress by announcing high quality representative games will comeback to the forgotten city, people will have to take notice now.

The Wardrobe: The round 10 clash between Melbourne and North Queensland will probably go down as one of, if not the best game of the year. It is a big call so early Rugby League year but the quality was great. One vs two always provides a good contest, but this was simply brilliant. The defence was brutal and tough, the attack was skilful and adventurous. It was grand final quality football from both sides.

Putting any Raiders bias aside, I would love to see a Melbourne vs North Queensland rematch in front of 80 thousand come October 1 on grand final night. I have no doubt Sydney will support it, the NRL would be stronger for 2 non-Sydney teams playing the Grand Final.

The real success story tonight was the crowd, I have never seen so many people packed into the stand, which is normally 25% full. Tonight it was easily 90% full, they knew they were going to watch something special, and I would be surprised if anyone was disappointed.

Melbournians came out of the wardrobe tonight in numbers and gave a huge display that was matched on the field. The margin was 12 points, and maybe for the first time in the clubs history, the crowd was worth 12 points.

The witch is slowly, but surely melting!

750 words

olympic park

Juniors
WE’RE ALREADY FINED
olympic park for souths

Television ratings and sponsorships are the lifeblood of sports right around the world. Every weekend, millions if not billions on all continents and in all corners of the planet will turn a little electronic box on which will broadcast their favourite team, their favourite code, their favourite match. From rugby league or union to soccer, Gaelic football to gridiron, and even that ‘local’ Aussie rules game, people are going to tune in and watch their team hit it out on the paddock because for one reason or another they can’t actually get to the match.

We’ve all watched games on the telly throughout our lives, and know there is something reassuring to be able to view the big match in the security of your own home. Not only is the television camerawork these days so good – it’s like being there from the comfort of your own couch – but there is no way you will be exposed to the elements, often dilapidated facilities, the undesirable drunken supporters in the row in front, or the strewn rubbish littering the aisles. And not to mention the enormous costs of food and drinks at the matches which definitely make a dent into the hip pocket for one to enjoy an afternoon or night out.

What infuriates me is the lack of fairness in our televising of rugby league games in this country. Sure, by allowing the match times to be pre-determined just a few rounds in advance allows for the most part the best games in the round to be televised on free-to-air to maximise all-important television ratings, there is no consistency with which teams are shown – especially when it appears to be based on which teams are better performing than others. What isn’t fair, however, is the television coverage deals, and these seem set to continue. Everyone is well aware that they’re not perfect, but it is possible to do a lot better with them if someone sits down and asks all involved – including the fans – what they want. Chances are they might even find that a better deal could have been reached to allow a more even and fairer go for the game and its fans, and possibly even more into the coffers. But again the cone of silence goes over anyone who criticises the system.

As if to place the icing of the cake, the NRL fines the Storm CEO Brian Waldron for speaking the truth on the matter of free-to-air coverage. Fifteen grand for venting his (and many fans’) anger at the fact that Victorians have not seen THEIR footy team covered in a free-to-air match in around 160 games at a decent time to allow viewing by fans and potential converts alike. And this, the team which currently sits atop the premiership table. We’re sick of occasionally getting our matches shown at one in the morning as the earliest possible viewing time, or having to see the game shown on Fox at an ungodly hour – though sometimes live if we’re lucky.

Don’t worry about fining me too, Mr. Gallop, for my comments. You already fine me alongside my fellow five million Victorians from March to October each year by not providing us with an alternative football code to watch on our screens – a code we want to watch. Rugby league is near and dear to many, yet is just beyond grasp because it isn’t adequately provided for on free-to-air. Yet you constantly claim that it’s a national competition and that the NRL is committed to expanding the game into Victoria. That’s not happening and you know it.

Clearly what is not realised is that as well as fining Victorians, those north of the border in the ‘traditional’ league states are also fined because not only can they not see the best team in the competition on their screens, but their perceptions of a ‘national’ competition is severely distorted. Out of sight, out of mind is what people do when they don’t want to realise there is a serious problem; and it seems we are getting more of the same. Crowds will not swell south of the mighty Murray unless the game is marketed successfully on television.

Regardless of how much of a pegging the Storm is able to achieve in an AFL-dominated market, without proper television coverage chances are those crowds won’t grow.

---
WORD COUNT: 738 words

eloquentEEL

First Grade
eloquentEEL gets up off the couch and laces on his boots for the Eels

Long time viewer, First time player

“I want you to stop playing!”… my wife’s first words upon witnessing my condition.

I was even more pale than usual. There was a rather nasty cut across one elbow. I was limping noticeably, having done a pretty good job on the opposite knee. Several hours later, the overexertion finally caught up with me and I collapsed, sick as a dog. Allow me to explain how I got myself into this dishevelled state.

Having been an avid watcher of footy for over 20 years now, when the opportunity finally presented itself to actually lace on a boot, I jumped at the chance. Surprisingly, my nerves were kept in check. Maybe it was the relaxed nature of the comp. Perhaps it was the darkness of the dimly lit field, promising to veil the embarrassment on my face which would inevitably follow my first error. Most likely however, it was because of our complete and utter lack of preparation, and hence the lack of any opportunity for the nerves to build up in the first place. Having rushed through the registration process and shaken hands with a couple of team mates (most of whom I’d never met before) it was straight onto the field, without even a word on positions, let alone tactics or a game plan. Luckily, my 20 years of watching footy held me in good stead, enough that I didn’t make a complete ass of myself and at least looked like I had a clue.

Looks can be deceiving though, and following just a few minutes out on the paddock, I started to understand some of the subtleties of the game that can only be appreciated through experience. The first of which was the importance of knowing your team mates, nominating a position and following a game plan. Were it not for the even greater incompetence of our opposition, we would have needed an entire chicken farm to produce the quantity of eggs required to cover our faces, given our team’s utter lack of cohesion.

This first observation was closely followed by several others. Notably, that the fitness levels required for footy, even at this lowly level, far exceed my existing status of “couch potato”. Thankfully, our comp has unlimited interchange so I can only begin to appreciate what is required at the top level with limited interchange, let alone try to imagine what some players went through in the old days to play in multiple grand finals on the same day, or without any reserves at all.

At this juncture, I’d like to put in a good word for the officials. Often critical of referees in the big time, I managed to develop an appreciation for their efforts whilst out on the field with them. Dealing with the pace of the game, surrounded by confusion, the referee had his work cut out for him. Sure enough, there will be a few mistakes and some of them can be particularly frustrating, but they are asked to do a hell of a lot out there and they don’t deserve all the criticism they cop.

Loosely related to the fitness observation, was one regarding mental blanks. Professional players often draw them, unable to describe passages of play in matches they’ve just come out of, and no, it’s not always due to concussion. I don’t know if it was the pace of the game, lack of concentration or fatigue mixed in with a bit of dehydration, but I seriously had trouble remembering sections of the match. For example, I know I had a hand in one try, getting away a nice offload as I was falling. That’s about it though. I can’t remember the lead up to the try. I can’t remember who scored. I can’t even be confident it was a good pass as opposed to a dropped ball that luckily found it’s mark. The rest of the match remains even more of a blur. Who knows? Maybe with a bit more experience, my brain will learn to capture the action and I’ll be able to eloquently recall the details, such that I won’t come across as “just another dumb footballer.”

I can only begin to imagine how much better it would be if it was actually a game of rugby league that I had played and not just OzTag. Regardless, following those initial words from my wife, my immediate response was “HELL NO! I’m going back for more next week!!!”

eloquentEEL

First Grade
SUBSTITUTION FOR THE EELS

Out: Colonel Eel (pulled something delicate in the pre-match warmup)
In: Bubbles

Bubbles

Juniors
Bubbles off the bench for the Eels

Dopes

This week saw the disgrace and downfall (‘alleged’) of ex-League and current Rugby star Wendell Sailor, after a urine sample (Sample “A”) came back with a positive result to a prohibited substance, believed to be cocaine. He has been suspended by the NSW Waratahs, pending the result of investigations, including further testing of a “B” sample. This has opened up debate, not for the first time, about the use of illicit drugs by professional athletes and whether they should be tested for these recreational substances at all.

Today’s Daily Telegraph trotted out another disgraced dual-code footballer in Andrew Walker, talking about the damage sustained by his family, particularly his children, who have had to shoulder the taunts and judgements of a general public who have seen his face (shame-faced) splattered across the media. These two are but a couple of faces in this controversy, however what of the faces that remain, to date, hidden in the shadows, the ones we have heard hushed whispers about, the famous, high-profile League identities that have been the subject of rumours linking them to illicit drug use. What if these whispers hold even a skerrick of truth? For one moment, consider the consequences to our beloved sport, not to mention sport in general, if the NRL pulled back the cloak and revealed the truth as to how widespread this phenomenon is.

I, myself, find it ironic and incomprehensible that these athletes 1) are being tested for these substances and 2) are punished so severely, all but ending the culprits’ playing careers.

I think we all agree that any form of performance-enhancing drug must be stamped out of all sports. This is particularly the case in League, whose public persona is of human toughness and endurance personified, nearing gladiatorial proportions, which would be undermined if these larger than life men were using drugs to enhance their abilities etc. You only need to cast your minds back to the disgrace and stigma attached to Robbie O”Davis and Adam McDougall (never fully lived down), not to mention the entire Knights’ club by proxy, to know how betrayed League-lovers felt and feel about this kind of individual ‘cheating’.

But could someone please tell me how most of the recreational drugs prolific in society enhance anything, let alone sporting prowess? In my wild and misspent youth I sampled a number of mind and body altering substances at one time or another, and while I might have felt ten foot tall and bullet proof, I at no time, considered hitting the basketball court (my chosen sport), believing my limited abilities to have been enhanced, metamorphosing me into Michelle Timms! In fact, I was flat out pondering how to walk through a dark alley at the back of the local shops where an enormous black dog appeared to be guarding the egress point – happy ending to the story, when approached, the canine of Rottweiler proportions, was actually a yippy little Pekinese in the ‘real world’!

So if we agree that cocaine, and its various relatives, is unlikely to be ‘performance-enhancing’ bringing any advantage to the user, the next question would be whether professional sport is a reflection of society, or apart from it. I believe it is the former, although it is an enhanced, extreme reflection, given the money and lifestyle involved; much like that of movie and rock stars. So, given this is the case, why do we expect, if not laud, the use of alcohol and drugs when it comes to our rock-stars and celebrities, and yet condemn our athletes for exactly the same thing? Would Keith Richards still be Keith Richards if his skin wasn’t hanging loosely from his skeletal frame, if his eye-sockets weren’t shrunken and blackened from years of drug and alcohol abuse? We love him for it, together with his alter-ego Captain Jack Sparrow, aka Johnny Depp. We not only accept him, but expect it from him and too many others to name. It appears to me to be yet another double-standard at play in this convoluted society of ours.

Further, and somewhat aside from all of this, what I find even more incomprehensible than any of the above, is that a sport can ban a player for two years for doing something self-harming and self-detrimental, yet only dole out a one week ban for one of the worst spear tackles I’ve seen in either code that could have left another human being paralysed. Unconscionable - this is where the true shame lies!

Word Count: 749

Goleel

Juniors
Gol - Eels #11

Gol resists the urge to write an article about Brian Smith and instead goes with:

---

Inside!

From round one this season, it was clear Parramatta were going to struggle. Not because of any off field dramas, but because they had prepared the entire pre season with an attacking style that wouldn’t be successful this year, and hadn’t learned to defend against the style the successful sides of 2006 are using.

When the Eels had Adam Dykes leading the side, the favoured form of attack was a running halfback throwing inside balls to forwards rather than spreading the ball with cutout passes or second man plays, then throwing grubbers in behind the line as the primary form of close range attack. As history tells us, it wasn't successful. So last season the Eels, led by Tim Smith, were forced into an elaborate passing game by necessity (Smith had no running game). It led to long cutout passes, giving the outside backs the ball with position on their defenders, and second man plays, leaving the big, talented Eels centres plenty of manoeuvring room one on one with their opposites. Watching the side last year, it worked a treat, Timana Tahu, Ben Smith and Eric Grothe ran riot out wide causing all sorts of trouble for defenders, while Tim Smith and John Morris racked up dozens of try assists.

And now this season, Tim Smith has reeled in his passing game, throwing few second man passes, and hitting his outside backs flat footed rather than charging on to the ball like last year. The results are the worst attack in the league from the side that last year put points on at will. Smith is throwing more and more inside balls, a tactic so tired teams have an automatic defence against it now, its what they expect to happen. Teams bunch around the ruck (something Parramatta themselves do in defence), waiting for a short ball or inside pass, leaving their outside men vulnerable to one on one situations as they lack the backup of their inside defenders, who are packed in closer to the playmakers.

From the very first round this year, several teams broke free from the inside ball chains like Parramatta had last season, and started giving their outside backs room to move for the first time in years. With big, strong centres like Gasnier, Hodges (who is not coincidently having a career year now he has room to move), Cooper, Inglis and Tonga out wide, it is in a sides best interest to get them one on one with the defence. The best way to do that has become the second man pass, keeping the inside defence honest with a decoy runner onto a flat pass which never comes, instead finding a runner in full stride several metres back, and further wide, leaving him a lot of room to move outside his defender. Often sides will throw two second man passes in one move, particularly close to the line, and it is incredibly difficult to defend against. If you spread your line, those flat runners (usually second rowers) will soon start getting those passes and barging through the line at close range, but if you choose to pack the defence, you are trusting your weakest defenders, the outside backs, in one on one situations with very talented ball runners.

It takes well-drilled teamwork as much as talented players to pull these second man plays off. It is a set move, you need both a short runner timing his run well, and a second man running behind hitting the ball at pace. Watching Parramatta again on the weekend, they tried several second man plays, but the receiver often caught the ball flat footed due to a mistiming of the pass or run. Compare that to Newcastle, who from round one have been hitting Milton Thaiday and Matt Gidley (who again it is no coincidence he has hit form again with space to work) on the second man and giving them, and their wingers, space, which they have used to create one of the best attacking units in the competition, led by the greatest halfback in the world who has his team running like clockwork, while other sides, like the Eels, try and play catch-up.

It may take an entire off-season of drills to develop the combinations many sides already have, and to counter with a new defensive gameplan. Until then, we can look forward to Gasnier, Hodges and co. running amok over opposing defences, creating some of the most entertaining football in years.

---

747 official words, between those lines

Pistol

Coach
Pistol chips and chases ahead

On The Day

Journal entry: 28th March, The day of my debut

9:00am

It’s the day of the big game and my nerves are at an impasse. I am so nervous that I don’t know what to do.

We came down to Sydney the previous night. The airport was crawling with journalists like ants on a discarded ham sandwich. Microphones, cameras, dictaphones were being shoved into players faces. It was an orgy of technology and skin. The media mafia was waiting on the every word of the skipper and the coach for any indication of what’s going to go down.

At the hotel, we had a nice meal. Nothing too spicy as to upset our stomachs but seeing as this is my debut; no amount of bi carbonate of soda was going to keep my stomach from doing cartwheels. Another reason for the no spicy food was to respect our room mates. I sure would have been unappreciative if my roomie was blowing gas all night.

I eventually got to sleep around 2 in the morning, and even then it wasn’t the deepest of sleeps. It wasn’t the snoring of in the bed beside me, although that wouldn’t have helped, it was the realization that every hour that goes by, every minute, every second, the game draws nearer and I would run out onto the field for the first time.

10:00am

Now the time is about 10:00 and the team is sitting down having some breakfast and shooting the breeze. The more experienced campaigners are taking it with a grain of salt, but as a rookie, this is something that is really soaking in. I was part of the elite side for the club. It was a comfort to be around so many good blokes who would have a little fun with me, but at the same time reassure me that everything was going to be ok and that they would be looking out for me. That eased the tension slightly.

12:00pm

We just had a light jog. The coach wanted to keep the spirit and the fitness up to the optimum condition. It started to rain a little bit on the run and I was beginning to wonder if the rain would continue up until the game. Thankfully it was only a shower and we didn’t get too waterlogged. As they say, “a little rain never hurt anyone”. After drying off and getting changed the coach calls us in for a video session.

2:00pm

It was an in depth video session. The coach pointed out some chinks in the armour of both the opposition and our team. He said it was necessary to underscore our weaknesses so as to address them head on and turn them into strong points. He said that I would come under pressure from the opposition due to my level of experience, but he made it clear that the fact that I was an unknown quantity would be to my advantage. I really felt easier about my position in the side but my nerves were getting more and more rampant as each hour passes.

6:00pm

We got on the bus to take us to the ground. This is quite a spine tingling moment. As I sat down, the engine started, and then my heart started beating a mile a minute. The bus pulled out but I couldn’t hear the engine. The sound of the big diesel unit was drowned out by the butterflies that were coming out of football like cocoons in my stomach.

6:30pm

After the bus pulled into the stadium, we made our way to the locker room. As I walked into the room, I got whiff of what tension smelled like. I am literally shaking; the writing on the paper seems more like a dog’s breakfast than my normal writing. Pulling on the shorts, the jumper, the socks and the shoes for the club, made me more nervous but more determined to succeed.

7:25pm

The time has arrived. The captain opened the door and said that we were there. The time was upon us. We’ll see how we go. I hope I don’t let the boys down. I am determined to not let them down.

9:40pm

YAHOO. We won. As I stepped out onto the paddock, all sensation left my body and I knew we would win. This beer never tasted so sweet. Time to party.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
734 words inc title

1eyedeel

Juniors
1Eyed Eel makes a late run

Cap my salary

“Which brings us to the issue of pay...”

Ahh, don't you just salary reviews? You're forced to justify how well you've performed in order to eek out whatever tiny wage rise you can get. It's generally the epitome of pain. But this time I felt prepared. I felt ready.

“Well, I think as we've discussed, my performance over the past 12 months has exceeded expectations, from what you've told me the company has overachieved on all its metrics and I've also taken on a great deal of additional responsibility. Bearing these factors in mind, I believe a significant wage rise is justified,” I said confidently. I'd been rehearsing that spiel non-stop for the last two weeks.

“Unfortunately, that's going to be a problem.”

“What? Why? The company can afford it and I deserve it, I've got to be honest with you, I didn't think this would be an issue.”

“Well, ordinarily no.”

“Look, what's going on here?”

“Well, you're obviously aware there have been certain changes to Industrial Relations legislation since David Gallop became Prime Minister," the HR guy said with a smile that seem permanently etched to his face.

“Yes, I think he's made some great changes. I love the new national anthem. The Hoodoo Gurus rock.”

“For a minute there, though, it looked like we were going to be stuck with Tina Turner.”

“Yes, all very well and good, but we're here to discuss my wage increase.”

“Well, it's the salary cap, you see.”

“The what? Are you on drugs?”

“No, I'm quite serious. They've managed to slip it through pretty quietly, haven't they?”

“I have no idea what's going on here.”

“Well, the crux of the issue is this. Now that the Salary Cap Industry Relations Legislation has gone through, we've been put in a bit of tight spot. As you know, our company did extremely well last year, share price was up 66 per cent, we beat revenue and profit forecasts,” he said, still smiling.

“Unfortunately, the salary cap means that we can only spend a certain amount on wages. It's apparently designed to increase the level of competition and as we all know competition is good, good, good.”

“And while you've been one of our star performers, Bob up in sales has been a real standout for us in increasing revenue and then you've got Jan down there in Finance who has been doing a stellar job of cutting costs.”

“And while you and your team in product development have done great work, well you're not exactly in a key position are you?”

“Without a product, we've got nothing to sell,” I scream.

“Well, maybe, but even a steep decline in product quality won't impact the bottom line for several years and well, now that we're forced to make these decisions, well, one has to act for today, don't we?”

“So what are you saying?”

“Well, we don't think it would be fair to offer you a decrease in your current pay. You've been a loyal employee and we wouldn't want to insult you like that.”

“I should bloody well think not!”

“So, we've decided not to renew your contract.”

“I can't believe what I'm hearing. I've been here nine years.”

“Yes, that's such a shame. One more and we would have got a long service bonus in the cap. Bugger that, isn't it?”

“The good news is I hear they've got plenty of room in their cap down at ACME corp. Assuming they stay afloat for a little while, I'm sure they would welcome someone of your experience and talents. You might want to get a manager, though. Bob's manager was awesome. We thought we were going to be able to keep you all but he screwed us down to the last cent.”

“I can't believe this. I work my guts out. I help my company exceed all expectations. And in return, I'm told I'm no longer needed.”

“Well, we think your offsider Jimmy can fill your shoes and of course, he's much cheaper.”

“I bloody well mentored him.”

“Cruel world, isn't it. But you just have to remember that this is all about the greater good. This country needs competition, a level playing field for all. That's got to be good for us all, doesn't it? Well, except for you, I agree. But look on the bright side, we've arranged for you to do a farewell lap of the building.”

741 words

antonius

Coach
Eels Scores

PARRA_FAN
City Vs Country Annual Clash- it’s here to stay
756 Words (by the official word counter, and MS Word)
A good piece on the argument to retain City/Country clashes. The writer makes some good points to back his point of view. Shame about the word count. The rules state clearly that you MUST include the title in your word count.
http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp

Score 82 after the deduction of 2 points for the word count.

eloquentEEL
Long time viewer, First time player.
747 Words
I liked this one, I never doubted you were playing a game of the real thing, right up until the last couple of sentances. Makes you appreciate what the players go through week in week out.
Score 87

Gol eel
Inside!
A very good read on the technical aspects of the various styles of attack, what happens when you are not up to speed.
Score 88

Bubbles
Dopes
750 Words
A piece on recreational drug use in sport. The last paragraph is very thought provoking isn’t it?
Score 86

1Eyed Eel.
Cap my salary
740 words.
Seemingly a very brief association with league, but easy to read where you are coming from and the association intended. Clever, and amusing.
Score 86

Eels Total 429

Rabbitohs Scores

lockyno1
THE RISE OF THE “EXCITEMENT MACHINES”
734 Words
The writer has selected a good subject. If I can offer some advice, it would be to try and avoid being repetitive (too many “excitement machines”) and be aware of repeating observations ie: - youngsters taking up the game to copy their heroes. Your enthusiasm for the subject comes through; it was just spoilt by the points I mention above.
Score 79

Rabs
Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
734 Words
An unusual method of getting an opinion across, but it works.
Score 85

olympic park
WE’RE ALREADY FINED
734 words
Some views on the media coverage of the Melbourne Storm. You make some fair points.
Score 86

paulquinn49
The Chronicles of Melbourne:The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.
750Words
Some well written thoughts on the Storm, their performance, and their progress since entering the competition.
Score 87

Pistol
On The Day
734 Words
A debut. Good read, not sure if it’s a first hand experience, but you certainly captured the moments.
Score 86

Souths Total 425

Result Eels 429 defeated Rabittohs 423

MOTM Gol eel

rabs

Staff member
congrats to the eels some great reads
well done rabbits and thaks ref antonius

eloquentEEL

First Grade
quite a close match.

thanks antonius and rabbits

congrats to Gol on MOTM and great work from the rest of the Eels to get all 5 posts in

Latest posts