What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaufusi re-signed

Hoggy

Bench
So at the moment our 2007 list is looking like this...

Scott Anderson*
James Aubusson*
Matthew Bartlett
Adam Blair
Michael Crocker (Aust rep, Qld rep)
Cooper Cronk
Ben Cross
Garrett Crossman
Ian Donnelly
Jamie Feeney
Matt Geyer (NSW rep)
Ryan Hoffman
Greg Inglis (Qld rep)
Dallas Johnson (Qld rep)
Antonio Kaufusi
Matt King (Aust rep, NSW rep)
Anthony Quinn
Smith Samau
Ryan Shortland*
Billy Slater (Qld rep)
Cameron Smith (Qld rep)
Jeremy Smith
Sam Tagataese*
Glen Turner
Chris Walker (Qld rep)
Brett White

* = hasn't played first grade.

In - Anthony Quinn (Newcastle)

Out - Nathan Friend (Gold Coast), Scott Hill (England), David Kidwell (Souths), Dennis Scott (retired), Steve Turner (Gold Coast), Jake Webster (Gold Coast)

Personally I can't see Glen Turner staying either. Surely they have to get rid of the June 30 deadline, it's ridiculous, we've lost four players already to other clubs before the deadline.

shadow grinder

First Grade
storm have also signed Michael Bond and 14 yr old Ben Hampton. altho Hampton wont be in the squad next year...he will join devils after he finishes schooling.

Hoggy

Bench
MONY said:
Jackson Nicalau.... has he signed any deals with the Storm...

He was one of about eight players on the Storm site that were in a "players to watch" part. I guess that is the NRL equivelant of the AFL rookie list.

My main point was the growing lack of senior players on our list.

sheet_ed

Juniors
Shadow Grinder
storm have also signed Michael Bond and 14 yr old Ben Hampton. altho Hampton wont be in the squad next year...he will join devils after he finishes schooling.
Curious what is your source and is there any more on these 2?

shadow grinder

First Grade
sheet_ed said:
Shadow Grinder

Curious what is your source and is there any more on these 2?

Source re: Bond : http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/b...o-tigers/2006/06/19/1150701484287.html?page=2

the hampton signing was an article in the cairns post and also posted online...it seems the article is now gone but it was posted on the storm forum:

Courtesy of the Cairns Post

MELBOURNE Storm believes it can build a future around boom Mareeba halfback Ben Hampton. Just 14, Hampton recently signed a four-year contract with the Storm that will allow him to finish his school days locally before a move to Brisbane in the final year of his contract to link with Storm’s Queensland feeder club Brisbane Norths.

That Hampton has been signed at 14 is not just a ringing endorsement of his talent but also a reflection of the cut-throat world of identifying and securing young rugby league talent.

Melbourne Storm recruitment officer Clint Zammit said Hampton was the first junior he had signed from Mareeba and that the club’s interest had peaked after Zammit watched Hampton play in the Peninsula under-15 trials.

"He was just a standout and I basically made the decision to sign him then and there," Zammit said.

"The thing with Ben he is an outstanding shape for a number seven. He’s a bit like a Tim Smith from Parramatta in that he is tall and rangy and will fill out to be a nice sturdy player in the halves.

"Football-wise, he runs the ball well and has good vision so we think he makes a pretty good package."

While Melbourne head coach Craig Bellamy has yet to meet Hampton in person, he has reportedly been impressed by video of Hampton’s efforts at the recent under-15 state carnival in Townsville where he was up against players a year older.

"He was outstanding at that carnival and I think had he been a year older, they would have taken him in that Queensland team," Zammit said.

Hampton will be one of hundreds of young junior players in action at Atherton this weekend for the North Queensland trials.

LESStar58

Referee
Yep.Easts are it from next year but maybe the Cairns post didnt know that!

Yet another Atherton product! Good stuff!

Yep. Fuse for 3 years. Bellamy for a further 2. Something special is brewing!

Cranky

Juniors
Hoggy said:
He was one of about eight players on the Storm site that were in a "players to watch" part. I guess that is the NRL equivelant of the AFL rookie list.

My main point was the growing lack of senior players on our list.

I think the lack of experience would be a concern if we had a different coach. Bellamy does an excellent job of giving the young blokes responsibility and they seem to respond well. Cameron Smith seems like he is a thirty-two year old some times.;-)