What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL Suggestion Box Thread

t-ba

Post Whore
Madunit-The Gold Coast Franchise still doesn't have a viable stadia. Construction (Or in Carrara's Case-Refurbishment) of these things can often lead to Northsesque Sob Stories. The Franchise needs to be given a good 2-3 years to purchase a playing roster, establish local infrastructure and re-build Carrara.

Le Rogue-Norths should have left the relocation until after 1999. It wasn't a wise move committing themselves to such a masive upheaval in such a vital year. the board had rocks in its head in the way they acted during 1999 (ie-they probably should have booked NS oval as a contingency method.)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
t-ba the hutt said:
Madunit-The Gold Coast Franchise still doesn't have a viable stadia. Construction (Or in Carrara's Case-Refurbishment) of these things can often lead to Northsesque Sob Stories. The Franchise needs to be given a good 2-3 years to purchase a playing roster, establish local infrastructure and re-build Carrara.

That is exactly what is happening, hence there is a long term plan in place.
The stadium will recieve a refurbishment, partly financed by Gold Coast City Council (partly).

The local consortium have been speaking with the NRL for some years now, and are apparently on track for 2005.

ChiaPete

Juniors
I would love to see an increase in crowds but also larger crowds for the games prior to NRL fixtures. For this I'd ticket matches so that you get a 75% discount for entry prior to full time of Jim Beam Cup. 50% discount for entry prior to full time of Premier League.
This would increase crowds as a whole but also create a better atmosphere for the players involved in the earlier matches.

Pete
GO BULLDOGS

Red Bear

Referee
I think the Nrl needs to work on Expanding the game but also keeping the traditional elements of the game alive. I think the club song idea is a very good one, Glory Glory to south sydney is a good song although it unfortunately wouldnt be played to often.
My idea is a promotion/relegation comp, Initially with 24 teams and two divisions, 12 teams in each comp. Teams could be

Sydney Roosters
Souths
Cantebury
Warrioirs
Canberra
Balmain
Wests
Cronulla
Canberra
Newcastle
Penrith
Parra
Brisbane
North Queensland
Manly
Melbourne
North Sydney/Central Coast Bears
Newtown Jets
St George
Illawarra
Gold Coast
South Queensland
Wellington

Get the established teams and areas going first
In a decade, maybe longer maybe less, 4 more sides could be added. Perth, Adalaide and even a Northern Territory/Tasmanian/Papua New Guinea/Fiji/Islanders side.
The Top flight mathes could be shown on the Syndays and Fridays as currently happens and the Second dividion, which would still be a high standard of Football, could be shown on Saturday arfternoons and could be used for promotion of the game to other states in Australia. Almost everyone would have their team back and so support would increase greatly which, in turn, would mean more money for the NRL(the only thing they care about), a return to the roots of the game and the traditional clubs and it would make rugby league stronger.

My alternative plan as, im afraid, i doubt the above would ever happen, would be to show a premier league/QRL match on Saturday afternoons to help with promotion to other states of Australia, as this is still a high standard of football and agin would help with the promotion of the game and also i would be able to see the Mighty Bears back in the comp.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
GoTheBears said:
I think the Nrl needs to work on Expanding the game but also keeping the traditional elements of the game alive. I think the club song idea is a very good one, Glory Glory to south sydney is a good song although it unfortunately wouldnt be played to often.
My idea is a promotion/relegation comp, Initially with 24 teams and two divisions, 12 teams in each comp. Teams could be

Sydney Roosters
Souths
Cantebury
Warrioirs
Canberra
Balmain
Wests
Cronulla
Canberra
Newcastle
Penrith
Parra
Brisbane
North Queensland
Manly
Melbourne
Newtown Jets
St George
Illawarra
Gold Coast
South Queensland
Wellington

In a decade, maybe longer maybe less, 4 more sides could be added. Perth, Adalaide and even a Northern Territory/Tasmanian/Papua New Guinea/Fiji/Islanders side.
The Top flight mathes could be shown on the Syndays and Fridays as currently happens and the Second dividion, which would still be a high standard of Football, could be shown on Saturday arfternoons and could be used for promotion of the game to other states in Australia. Almost everyone would have their team back and so support would increase greatly which, in turn, would mean more money for the NRL(the only thing they care about), a return to the roots of the game and the traditional clubs and it would make rugby league stronger.

My alternative plan as, im afraid, i doubt the above would ever happen, would be to show a premier league/QRL match on Saturday afternoons to help with promotion to other states of Australia, as this is still a high standard of football and agin would help with the promotion of the game and also i would be able to see the Mighty Bears back in the comp.

Thats 23 teams which I dont think there is enough money in the country to support.

Also 46 rounds, they only get the Xmas break off and then be back into it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well I do not think a goal should be worth 1/2 a try.

I would like to see kicking for points, down to a minimum.

Maybe 4 for a try and 1 for a goal or FG.

Less tries off kicks, would make me happy too.

I don't study the game extremly closely so someone can help me out. How could we increase the amount of line breaks but decrease the amount of tries or decrease the scoreline. I don't know if it can really be done but it would make games twice as exciting if there would be more match winning field goals, tries and penalty goals and conversions. This could really be used to sell the game. We can boast that in almost every game the winner is not decided until literally the last second of the match.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Wild Man From Borneo said:
I don't study the game extremly closely so someone can help me out. How could we increase the amount of line breaks but decrease the amount of tries or decrease the scoreline. I don't know if it can really be done but it would make games twice as exciting if there would be more match winning field goals, tries and penalty goals and conversions. This could really be used to sell the game. We can boast that in almost every game the winner is not decided until literally the last second of the match.

Why would you want to increase the amount of line breaks, but decrease the amount of tries.

Isn't the game really about scoring tries ?

Isn't that what the crowds come to see ?

Red Bear

Referee
Twizzle said:
GoTheBears said:

Sydney Roosters
Souths
Cantebury
Warrioirs
Canberra
Balmain
Wests
Cronulla
Canberra
Newcastle
Penrith
Parra
Brisbane
North Queensland
Manly
Melbourne
Newtown Jets
St George
Illawarra
Gold Coast
South Queensland
Wellington

Thats 23 teams which I dont think there is enough money in the country to support.

Add another Queensland team and, like i said, its 24 teams with two divisions, 12 teams in each comp, so in actual fact it would be a shorter season for players, only 22 rounds a comp. That would mean less injuries from fatigue and better rep side travelling over to england.

wittyfan

Referee
Get rid of that ridiculous Golden Point rule. Teams have 80 minutes to get a result which is enough time and so a draw and a point each is fair enough.

Twizzle said:
Wild Man From Borneo said:

Why would you want to increase the amount of line breaks, but decrease the amount of tries.

Isn't the game really about scoring tries ?

Isn't that what the crowds come to see ?
If there's more line breaks especially where they player is run down and even put into touch then its more exciting that watching a grubber kicked into the ingoal for an attempt to score every time. If it is harder to score tries then we would get lower score lines which means closer games like 10-6, 6-4, 10-8 etc. This would mean that more games can be decided in the very last play of the game and more games will be forced into extra time. This would mean that there would be more match winning F/Gs and tries (I don't think penalty goals should be counted in extra time). But the thing is how do you increase line breaks (speed up the game) and decrease the score lines.

PB

Bench
the only way you might be able to do what you are suggesting, is to make trys from your own side of half way worth more than tries scored in your attacking half. it would encourage more ad lib play from your own territory, but i dont think it would be a good idea personally.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
GoTheBears said:
Twizzle said:
GoTheBears said:

Sydney Roosters
Souths
Cantebury
Warrioirs
Canberra
Balmain
Wests
Cronulla
Canberra
Newcastle
Penrith
Parra
Brisbane
North Queensland
Manly
Melbourne
Newtown Jets
St George
Illawarra
Gold Coast
South Queensland
Wellington

Add another Queensland team and, like i said, its 24 teams with two divisions, 12 teams in each comp, so in actual fact it would be a shorter season for players, only 22 rounds a comp. That would mean less injuries from fatigue and better rep side travelling over to england.

I like the idea of two divisions.

My only concern is that should a team be relegated to 2nd division, it may be the start of financial sprial downwards, losing TV rights and crowds ect.

This has happend in English Soccer, when teams get demoted and yet they have more money, crowds and even televise their 2nd division games.

I do like it, but again I think in Australia, it could not be financially supported. Here's hoping.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
you dont have to have a 1st div and a 2nd div. you could have 2 equal divisions with a superbowl style playoff system

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
How about the NRL starts up it's own television program production company. The is company hires commentators, camerman etc.
They tape every NRL, NSWPL, QRL and sell it to CH9, Foxtel, ABC whoever.
The NRL then has more control over the package they present on air, on every source. Set up a a subsiduary etc.
It is a suggestion box. I do see a down side.

OVP

Coach
OK here's my suggestion to the NRL

introduce 5 new teams (Central Coast, Gold Coast, Adelaide or Perth, 2nd Brisbane team, 2nd NZ team)

that way, there is only 20 normal rounds of the NRL. One team plays the other ONCE and ONCE only.

Draws are worked out on how "you finished last year".

People selected for Roo tours in the future WILL NOT be so fatigued and injury prone as this years squad.

You will see 10 times better footy in the finals because simply, the players are fresher and more keen.

DO NOT give me the rubbish that there is not enough players ... the last time there was 20 teams i thought it was BY FAR the best season EVER. So did everyone else ... then of course superleague came in and raped it, but it WAS still the BEST season EVER IMO. There are players out there atm who are sent away to park footy, never to be seen again. Look at Brett Kimmorley as a shining example. He would NEVER have had the chance to shine in those days if there wasnt 20 teams. Why would today be any different ? And look at him now.

And the number one reason ... Rugby league used to be phenomenally successful (especially in the 20 team days). Why wouldnt it resume that mantle right now ? We've done the hard yards in the grassroots areas, its time to spread the seed wide !!

Whenever somebody suggests a 16,18 or 20 team comp., its always scrapped because "there's not enough money". I might sound like a dumbass because the answer is probably obvious but why was the ARL able to have a 20 team comp in 95 & 96 and the NRL in 98. In 99 the NRL had a 17 team comp.
We're being told that 2002 and 2003 were possibly two of the best seasons ever as far as crowds and tv ratings are concerned. But why then can't we afford an 18 or 20 team comp. Gallop basically said that 'a team would not be created on the CC/Gold Coast..a current team would have to be relocated.' because of the lack of funds (I think this has changed since). I want to know where all the money is going. Like..you've got to admit that the NRL is doing an absolute shit job at promoting the NRL. Have a look at Rugby Union. It became professional in 1996 and look at their game internationally. What do we accociate the Wallabies with.."waltzing matilda" "John Howard :D " "AUSTRALIA". The wallabies havn't been as successful as the Kangaroos..however they have made supporters proud to support them. Add another word: PASSION. The ARU/IRB make Rugby a big thing. People criticise this and say that "people flock to games to watch the Wallabies thrash Namibia 142-0". You know what I say to the supporters who were still very proud of their sides effort: GOOD ON YOU!! I'm happy for you. I wish our sport could attract 200 people to welcome the national team at the airport of an AFL mad city (Adelaide).
The NRL don't have to spend millions on advertising. The have a create a different attitude amoungst RL supporters. They have to have a better atmosphere at games. Appoint players to volunteer to go around to go to schools etc. I remember as a kid when a basketballer came to my school. (I didn't even know his name). I began to think that basketball was a big thing in Sydney. My teacher was a Kings fan so we were given Kings stickers to put on our book. We played more basketball than RL/touch during PE. I only remember doing anything to do with Rugby League ONCE when we practised grubber kicks. 90% of the time we would practise shooting on the court. All the boys in my class including myself and most of the girls were playing basketball for the school and some of them were playing on Saturdays also. I became interested in the NBA and started following the Orlando Magic. I had never seen an NBA game (it wasn't shown on tv), I wasn't even able to find out their scores! But I proudly wore my Magic cap,t-shirt and school bag. Then..everyone started trading NBA cards..so of course..I couldn't resist. AND WHERE WAS RUGBY LEAGUE DURING THIS TIME. Well I did get bullied for wearing a Wests Magpies hat. I didn't even relise who they were until some kid told me. This all happened during 1994-95. Yep that's right..When Canterbury won the GF. My aunt and grandfather were big Canterbury supporters. But I wasn't really interested in the GF. If someone asked me who I supported in football I would say 'Canterbury-Bankstown' but I wasn't really interested. I don't think I even knew that there was an Australian team. The only games I watched was the State of Origin because it was advertised on tv really well and they made it into a big thing. It gave me the impression that it was 'football' (we always called it football/footy) at the very best. I also vaguely remember Tena Terna and 'simply the best' with the images of blood pouring down the faces of players. It got me really excited about SOO footy because I thought it was really tough etc. Why don't we have those images anymore? Gallop would probably say "its not in the best interest of Rugby League"
The moral to the story is that you don't have to spend millions. You just have to get players out there and get people interested. They sit around on their desks at NRL headquarters trying to figure out their advertising budget. Literally pick yourself up, stop worring about the lack of funds, and get out there and make the effort to make school appearences etc. How will kids get involved otherwise?? The 'That's my team" ads arn't shown anymore let alone during kids programs. Answer this question Gallop!: How the hell do you expect kids to get involved?!! If they see a RL player in real life (even if they don't know who they are), its a really big thing. Think this is a small way of promoting the game?? Think again!! If it wasn't for my family being RL supporters from the "good old days", I would be cheering for the Sydney Kings right now. Because basketball, NOT RUGBY LEAGUE, at my school, was pumped into us. They didn't spend any money..they simply asked a local basketball player to visit the school. They made basketball, NOT TOUCH RL, a major sport at school following soccer. Why do people follow netball, NSL soccer? Because they play these sports. The NRL need to relise this. Get more kids playing RL. Then they will follow the professional version (NRL) and they're kids will etc etc.
Think that you need to spend millions on advertising to increase support...THINK AGAIN!!
They spend a heap of money on 'That's my team'. But there still seems to be a gap somewhere. 'That's my team' is good..but people want to see players with some passion who give up their time to get people interested.
'That's my team" doesn't show the passion in Rugby League.
I'm sick of people saying "'that's my team' is the best thing since Tina Terna." Sure it has a catchy tune.. But has it achieved what it set out to do. Has the crowds, club membership, media attention dramatically increased. NO!! Get out there to the grassroots..the kids..get them interested...then follow this up with the ads. How can you expect people to get intested in the sport by playing a reworded pop song with players running around. I'll say it again literally get out there and get people interested. Then follow this up with the advertising of 'thats my team'. Make it long term. Instead of deciding to not show it as often or at all (which is happening now). Play it at places around the country. At cinemas, on the radio, around the Fox studios area. Set up screens around the city's showing great Rugby league moments.
Make it the norm for people to ask:"where do you come from?" "What religion do you practise?", "WHAT FOOTY TEAM DO YOU FOLLOW?" We have to make people into fanatical supporters, we have to MAKE RUGBY LEAGUE A BIG THING!

fosie

Juniors
More funding!!!!!! that's how union gets all the publicity and trash, we deserve it more than them!!!
Spread it around Australia, but then it'd get TOO big.
OMG, how about we have different in each state and then you hav the grandfinal and the grandfinal winner plays against the other grandfinal winners in the other states????
ok maybe not :?

MR REF

Juniors
i would have loved the nrl to do a john oneill today (saturday) or friday. hold a press conference and make an annoucement that theres new teams coming next year and some other crap just to take a nice lil jab at union before there kick-a-thon final.

But more seriously id like to see:
* inter-state sides added to world sevens.
* world sevens to be played in a different capital city each year.
* a proper pre-season comp, played in regional areas, across oz, nz and png. all matches to be televised live on fox. take the final to the team which makes final first.
* i like the 20 team, 20 round format, with each team getting a bye for state of origin. While teams are having byes they can go to region areas, oz wide for clinics.
* live tv oz wide. area which game is played not live, only if sold out.
[/list]

MR REF

Juniors
oh and thank F*%$ that world cup rubish is over and im glad those wannabes lost.

GO THE KANGAROOS

Latest posts