What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware Rugby League!!!!!

Jamaica RLA

Juniors
Having followed this and other Forums that have threads about international development and emerging nations there are a number of worrying trends that seem to run through them all.

1. That they always end up talking only about the Southern Hemisphere, NZ, Aus, PNG, Fiji etc etc. like no one else matters.

2. That only the best i.e. Australia & GB should play in anything and are the only ones worth talking about.

3. That everyone else is a joke and not worth talking about or deserving of any help or support in developing this game.

I dont claim to be any sort of RL expert, in fact my experience is in RU having played at the highest level during the 70's and 80's in both England and South Africa, but now resident in Jamaica.

Having played RL in the forces and a son that played pro RL in the UK it quickly became obvious that RL is better suited to the West Indian nature than RU, as evident by the high number of West Indians at the highest level in SL and that it appeared that RL was free of the Rah Rah bull**** of the other code.

We established the game here less than 18 months ago and already boast a five, soon to be seven club league, a junior programme comming next year and doing nicely in none sexy or PROFITABLE!!! (dollar wise) things like helping to develop young people, alieving poverty and providing opportunities for people to grow and achive.

But low and behold, the colonial attitude of superiority is alive and well and not in the UK. But beware!!!

RL is in danger of becoming the baseball of the South. A minority sport, played in very few places that professes to be an international sport with a world cup contested by only a couple of nations.

As always this world cup will just be an extended tri-nations which is always played in either the UK or Australia. The RLIF which like the Ostrich comes fron Australia should take its head out of the sand and turn its eyes from the NRL and follow soccer in taking the game to lesser regions to promote and extend the sport.

But despite all of the negetivity and insular attitudes shown by the so called senior nations, we will continue to develop, expand and promote, what I and others here have come to belive is the greatest participation sport in the world. Ever hopeful that one day the brotherhood that is shown by players on the field infects the administrators, officials and supporters of the game.

Paul Morris
Director of Rugby, Jamaica Rugby League Association
&
Chairman West Indies Rugby League Federation
Email: hq@wirlf.com

You are right as what are they doing for Soviet Russian rugby league - they have a national comp and have to qualify for the world cup when they shouldn't have too.

The big three(AUS/NZ/GB) need to do more for the game internationally

DINGb@T

Juniors
Yeah, unfortunately what you say is often all too true. Sport globalisation often works in the same way as economic globalisation- the big often forget to take a more inclusive view of the benefits and how things should be done.

You said that league was helping to relieve poverty in Jamaica. I was wondering if you could elaborate more. Personally I think that the real aim of any sport should be to serve its community and rugby league is in a very unique position to help out many of the world's struggling nations like PNG, the Pacific, Lebanon, etc. I think that league could play a very significant role in helping these places out and was wondering how you guys were using league to do that.

Keep up the good work.

Jamaica RLA

Juniors
Dingb@t

Poverty is the result of a lack of investment in infrastucture, facilities and people. This leads to descrimination, low self esteme and sense of worth and restricts an individuals opportunity to do anything about it.
Being a community sport we have invested in the community based clubs, thier facilities and members.

We have dropped a well in one community, installed a pump and irrigation system and irrigated the community sports field providing the youth with the opportunity to participate in a number of sports including rugby league, soccer, cricket etc.

We have built 4 community rugby fields suppling posts, balls and equipment. We have supplied coaches to get the game played. We run courses for club administrators which has resulted in a number finding emplyment.

We support and encourage young people which raises self worth and in doing so is reflected in their participation within thier own communities.

This is just a small sample of some of the inititives and programs we have implemented.

Everyone around the world wants to take from the sport!!! but we will reap what we sow.

If we invest in people and communities the future of the sport is sustainable and will grow.

Or we can do nothing and remain a minority sport.

Paul Morris
Jamaica Rugby League
info@jrla.net

phonetic

Juniors
Paul, the work guys like you do is amazing. To think that league is flourishing in a place like Jamaica is astounding. You're always going to have some tough times to get through, but as you say, you are growing and that's to be commended. Keep at it champ.

ps - loved the call about the Ostrich! They're actually Emu's down here.

Lantana

Juniors
phonetic said:
Paul, the work guys like you do is amazing. To think that league is flourishing in a place like Jamaica is astounding. You're always going to have some tough times to get through, but as you say, you are growing and that's to be commended. Keep at it champ.

ps - loved the call about the Ostrich! They're actually Emu's down here.

ummm I think he was referring to the 'head in the sand' attitude of administrators as an analogy to not addressing exteral issues in the sport, and not an animal off our coat of arms LMAO

Don't worry mate, just keep working your arse off. There are thousands of people who appreciate it, its just unfortunate that not many of those people's voices are heard.

Try emailing people like andrew voss and matt johns with how you are progressing.

Best of luck to you.

DINGb@T

Juniors
So where do you get the funding for these projects and is there any way to contribute money to projects that help these communities through these grass root initiatives, especially through league?

ali

Bench
Paul, i agree with almost everything you are saying. The only problem I have with it, is within this particular forum you are preaching to the converted.

This kind of message needs to be spread throughout NRL fans, the media and administrators.

I suggest posting this in the Cronulla Sharks section of this forum and see what reaction you get. I am currently having a debate with a couple of people in there as to the merrits of the world cup.

This international forum has brought together a lot of like minded people who share views like yours. Our enemy is the status quo, the insular typical aussie and northern england Rl folk who have little faith in their product and couldn't give a flying f**k what happens to Rugby League outside of leigh / south sydney / wherever.

phonetic

Juniors
Lantana said:
ummm I think he was referring to the 'head in the sand' attitude of administrators as an analogy to not addressing exteral issues in the sport, and not an animal off our coat of arms LMAO

'which like the Ostrich comes fron Australia'

I know he was referring to the head in the sand atitude, but he said the Ostrich comes from Australia! We call them Emu's... last time I checked anyway!

roopy

Referee
Things are getting better.
5 years ago you would be lucky to get 30 people on the whole internet talking international league - and now there are hundreds posting and thousands reading.
Rugby League Review has introduced many new fans to the international game - and we now have new teams springing up at a rate of 4 or 5 a year - up from maybe 1 or 2 a year 5 years ago.

The biggest improvement though is in the number of young guys who can play for different nations in the elite junior ranks. Many of the teams in the U16s, U18s and U20s sides for NRL teams have more Islander, Lebanese, etc etc etc players than 'anglo' players - and those guys will soon be making their mark on the International game.

Gibbo

Juniors
I really think we could help organisations like the West Indian rugby league out by trying to bring their issue to mainstream media attention. A while back a thread about the West Indian rugby league's need for funds was put on the NRL forum and got a bucket load of views and replies. I think it is therfore largely up to people living in rugby league strongholds to make a case for developing countries. Its not hard to get a story in the papers, even if it is just in the 'weird sports news' on the backpage or whatever. Think of the angle that could be worked-promote the whole thing as Cool runnings 2. Chuck in some info about how they are attempting to use rugby league to adress social issues and you would be sweet.
Just imagine if you could set up a display booth at the NRL grandfinal on the West Inidan rugby league, detailing what they're doing and their lack of funds. People would be throwing money at you. The point i'm trying to raise here is that you have to let people know about your issue, you can't just knock on the door you have to bust it down. People need to know before they'll care, and as it has been mentioned before there is no point in preaching to the converted. E-mail, fax as many as people newspapers etc as you can, it costs bugger all. As people who are lucky enough to live in league lovin' nations we owe it to pioneers like Paul Morris to bring their situations into the sights of everday league fans.
G.

Jamaica RLA

Juniors
DINGb@T said:
So where do you get the funding for these projects and is there any way to contribute money to projects that help these communities through these grass root initiatives, especially through league?

Firstly let me appologise, it is an EMU and not an Ostrich. However, the size of the EMU does not reflect the scale, how far or where the RLIF has its head stuck.:sarcasm:

We are mainly self funded by local sponsors. For example, our main sponsor is Globe Insurance of Jamaica Ltd. who provide personal accident and injury insurance for all players and officials and third party liability for all our events. In addition they give us a cah grant of circa US4000 a year for admin and US2000 for Match Offical and coach development. Omni Industries who make UPVC piping supply all our goal posts for community fields. Ericcson AB provided a pump (purchased in Aus) for an irrigation project at a school field.

We are determined to be self funding in running the sport, however, it is equipment to play and develop that we need help with. We currently run the league with 7 international, 5 mod and 5 mini balls and 24 cones.

We want to start a junior programme but need Tag/Flag belts, mod & mini balls, training bibs, cones etc. We have no tackle shields/bags or body protection.

If you want to help we have two contacts who will take pledges of money (specify what is to be bought) or equipment (old or new) and arrange to have it shipped. one in the UK, Mark Tipping who can be contacted at markt@wirlf.com or marktipping@allblacks.fsnet.co.uk and Dane Campbell, ex Newcastle Knights, at danec@aapt.net.au or info@wirlf.com .

We have had support from a few individuals and amatur clubs and Gary Heatherington at Leeds Rhino's has been great in his support. Also Richard Lewis at the RFL has helped with Match Officials and coaching development.

Below are some pics of the Constabulary Knights working in schools here but we need equipment to develop. Many thanks for your continued support

Paul Morris
Jamaica RL
info@jrla.net
www.jrla.net

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

Evil Homer

Staff member
Nice school uniform!

I tried to send some shields,post protectors and balls(I have access to literally hundreds) to Jamaica last year,but never recieved an email back.

Latest posts