What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Country Rugby League

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
HI all,

Just thought i'd start a thread about the CRL as this forum now covers it.

For CRL news go to - www.crlnsw.com.au
This is also a good way to get to the individual Group and Club you want to read about.
If say you are after Camden in Group 6, on the map of NSW, click on the '6' shield and from there you can go to Camden's website, or Group 6's

As its the end of the season there is not much news to report, but each groups website should have information about their Grand Finals and stuff like that.

On the Rep front, our Country Firsts squad were runner up in the Quad Series played in NZ, and our touring Under 18s team won both their games in NZ.
OUr Under 16s just completed a week in QLD and defeated both the Gold Coast Titans Dev Squad and the Q.A.S which is very exciting for the future of the CRL and the NRL as a few of these kids will no doubt be picked up.
For more information on the CRL Rep Teams go to http://www.crlnsw.com.au/index.cgi?sID=47

The Divisional Championships were played through the middle of the season.
In the Seniors Newcastle overcame a horror run of injuries in the opening round to be crowned Champions, and in the Under 18s Western Division were too strong
For more information about the 2006 Div Champs go to http://www.crlnsw.com.au/index.cgi?sID=5

In Dubbo in May, home town boy Andrew Ryan led Country to a 12-10 win over City.
For more information go to http://www.crlnsw.com.au/index.cgi?sID=7

If you are in a Country Area and you wish to learn more about Junior Development, or are interested in helping out or becoming a coach, you can locate your local Development Officer by going to http://www.crlnsw.com.au/index.cgi?sID=51

*PHEW* thats about all i can handle right now... but if you have any more enquiries, this is now the place to do them!

Skinner

Coach
Cheers for that JessEel. I know that there will be a bunch of us turning up
early next season for a yarn about Group footy and who is coaching and
playing where.

Skinner

Yeah good to see Country footy get a forum. But why has it taken till the end of the season for this to happen? I enquired about a Country forum at the start of the season and nothing happened. Anyway, there's not much to talk about now but hopefully a few people will take a bit of notice of bush footy next season.
One thing that is coming up is the Newcastle v Great Britain game at EnergyAustralia on Oct 20. I'll be going and hopefully plenty of others will too. It would have been better if GB had played a proper Country division but Newcastle runs things these days. If the Newcastle RL are organised enough to get a game against a touring side good on them, but I wish the other Country divisions could do the same.

Angel Bear

Juniors
Yeah, this will be good. When you look at it, there are many boys playing in the country Group teams. It will be good to know the gossip of new signings etc. With all the end of year presentations coming up, it will be interesting to know who are the top dogs.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
The Claytons Cup (award for best CRL team throughout the year) will be announced mid november...

Would you like info on who won awards in each group?

Angel Bear

Juniors
That would be great, posts regarding team presentations within the Groups, eg, Group 6 Thirlmere, would also be good to know. Already we know: Thirlmere Presentation Night 27 Oct, 2006. Picton's 4 Nov 2006, Moss Vale 27th Oct
Already announced.
Group 6 Player of the Year. Jamie Newton, Thirlmere, followed by Mick Dodson, Bryce Poisel, Trevor Schoedel

parra pete

Referee
Jess,
I think you'll find it is the CLAYTON CUP..not the Claytons Cup (the Cup you have when you are not having a Cup. :lol:)

Hillston Bluebirds were undefeated in Group 17 and had a VERY VERY Good side..as good a Group 17 team as I have seen in the past fifteen years...

If the CRL is fair dinkum North Tamworth will win the Clayton Cup. Hillston is in a second division comp, even if it does still have Group status, and will be overlooked as a result.

parra pete

Referee
Group 17 is not second division...It still has Group status and same voting rights as Group 4.
There is a criteria for selection of the Clayton Cup winner that has been used since its inception.
Those rules will be followed. On the criteria, Hillston will be named the winner. You can only play the teams you are up against.
The Bluebirds had a VERY good team in 2006, despite what Barry Toohey in the Sunday Telegraph thought of them.
He has an opinion BUT no say in who gets the Clayton Cup. It is not always the BEST team in the CRL that gets the CUP but the best PERFORMED. On 2006 stats, that Club is Hillston with its undefeated record.

We'll see. But if Hillston can win it I don't see why a second division club that plays in the Hastings League or G4 Shield or one of the Cup competitions (Castelreigh, Bogan Cup etc) can't win it.
The North Tamworth president (ex now) reckons it should be a playoff. He said he was willing to pay for Hillston to come to Tamworth and play for the Cup and said maybe that's how it should be every year.

Gibbo

Juniors
Lost a lot of respect for the Clayton cup when the Thirroul 1995 side didn't win it. This team went through the year undefeated in the very very strong Illawarra comp, they hadn't even been losing a game at half time untill the GF. Which, i might add, they won after being ten points down at half time to win by one in front of a massive crowd at Steelers (now WIN) stadium. The crowd was so big they ran out of beer and most hot food by half time. Lets just hope they take group strength into calculation a bit more these days.

I don't believe group strength should come into it but I think a one-team competition with no lower grades shouldn't be counted along side groups with a proper team structure.

yakstorm

First Grade
Surely you can't give it to a Group 17 side, no offence to those who play in the district competition, but it needs a serious overhaul. The number of teams and quality of players in the region has dropped off significantly in the past decade, to make it like many have said, not much more than a 'Second Grade/Cup comp'.

Honestly I would like to see Group 20 and 17 look to merge, to have the top teams from both compete in a Riverina competition, and the rest take part in then a 'Second Division' / Regional Cup comp.

parra pete

Referee
Guideline are Guidelines...Change them BEFORE the start of a season. You can't change them to suit a particular year after it hjas been completed...
The Clayton Cup is awarded to the BEST PERFORMED side, not necessarily the BEST team..
That's how it is...Hillston have earned the Clayton Cup in 2006 on that criteria. END OF STORY...

The CRL has been trying to take their Group status away for ages but the Group kicks up such a stink the CRL backs down. If they get the Cup it will be a joke and will probably ensure G17 does lose its status so that this doesn't happen again.

Zigwaa

Bench
Wellington Cowboys in group 11 are still a chance in the Clayton Cup, they won every game of their season but lost the Grand Final to Cobar.

North Tamworth had two draws did they not?

parra pete

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
The CRL has been trying to take their Group status away for ages but the Group kicks up such a stink the CRL backs down. If they get the Cup it will be a joke and will probably ensure G17 does lose its status so that this doesn't happen again.

So be it..Hay Magpies have applied to switch into Group 20 next year..so if they go it will see the demise of Group 17 anyway...and solve a problem for the CRL administrators.
Wellington LOST the Grand Final so WON'T be considered.
On the criteria, Hillston MUST be awarded the Cup...and let me say this, they had a very good side too.

Zigwaa said:
Wellington Cowboys in group 11 are still a chance in the Clayton Cup, they won every game of their season but lost the Grand Final to Cobar.

North Tamworth had two draws did they not?
Hey mate,
Norths had three draws (two against West). The way it works is Group secretaries nominate a club from their Group for the Cup. In theory they should nominate the premiers but I guess that doesn't have to be the case. Wellington would have a strong case but losing the GF puts them out of the running. Teams have won the Cup despite not the premiership though. Hillston will probably win it based on the "rules" they use to find the winner but I wouldn't assume anything when the CRL's involved.