What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamaica Rugby League Premiership

Jamaica RLA

Juniors
Vultures Swoop To Take GLOBE INSURANCE Rugby League Premiership

Vauxhall Vultures ended their season on a high when they defeated the Duhaney Park Sharks 28 points to 12 in the Globe Insurance Rugby League Premiership Grand Final last Saturday at the JPA, Twickenham Park.
With the shock semi final defeat, by the Duhaney Park Sharks, of the rampant JDF side who had swept all aside to win the Globe Insurance Rugby League Title, this was an opportunity for both sides to claim the prestigious Premiership Championship.
It was evident from the kick off that both sides were nervous and struggled to settle in the early stages. And with both teams evenly matched it was obvious from the beginning that the team who could handle the pressure of the occasion were likely to run out winners.
From the kick off and with both sides looking awkward Vauxhall took advantage of a hesitant Sharks defence when Howard Clarke scrambled over to score after only four minutes.
Stung by this, the Sharks responded and seem to settle into a rhythm, using their big forwards to drive hard and carry the ball up field and then moving wide with their very mobile backs.
Opportunities were scares, as determined defence and impressive counter play by both sides saw the game ebb and flow to maintain the stalemate until the twenty eighth minute when Damion Smith followed by Jermaine Wilks after thirty eight scored try’s for the Sharks, which along with a field Goal from Roy Calvert gave them a well deserved 10 – 4 lead at half time.
With both sides now in full flow, the game became a battle of wills, with both sides trying to physically dominate and outsmart the other. Both sides combined hard driving by the forwards with probing runs by the faster backs, only to be met by determined and often intimidating tackling.
Halftime seemed to unsettle the Sharks, who, following a successful penalty kick early in the second half, extending their lead to 12 – 4, seemed to become aware that they were close to a victory. This caused them to hesitate and change their tactics allowing the Vultures back into the game.
This proved to be the unlocking of the game, as Vauxhall managed to gain the momentum and drive back the gallant Sharks. But despite determined defence the Vultures again and again teased and tormented the Sharks with probing runs and quick hands to set up opportunities to score for Odell Hymen and two from Kemar Gray. Added to this was a field goal for Kemar Gray and two for Mohenjo Thompson.
With both teams now exhausted and finding it hard to gain momentum it was Vauxhall who made sure that there would be no last minute reprieve for the brave Sharks, when Howard Clarke finished off a very impressive show by worthy winners Vauxhall Vultures with the last score of the game which was converted by Kemar Gray and clinching a 28 points to 12 points victory.
Scorers for the Vauxhall Vultures, Tries (4 pts each) Howard Clarke (2) Kemar Gray (2), Odell Hymen, Goals: (2 Pts each) Kemar Gray (2), Mohenjo Thompson (2) Total: 28 points.
Scorers for the Duhaney Park Sharks, Tries (4 pts each) Damion Smith, Germaine Wilks,
Goals: (2 Pts each) Roy Calvert, Penalty Goals: (2 Pts each) Roy Calvert, Total: 12 points.
JARUGBY090.jpg

Ian Virgo of Vauxhall crashes the Duhaney Park Line
IMG_3922.jpg

Khareem Jhagroo of Sharks tackled by Omar O'Sullivan and Kemar Gray of the Vultures.
for further info contact info@jrla.net

yakstorm

First Grade
Congrats to Vauxhall! Thats two premierships in two years, a fantastic start for them, though you have to feel sorry for the Defence Force. They went through the season undefeated to only be knocked out in the finals....

roopy

Referee
Good pics.
The players look fit and very big.
I can see the West Indies developing rapidly.

An amazing end of season trip for an Aussie or pommie side would be one that included a game or two in the WI and a few in the States.

screeny

Bench
Wicked pictures.

TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE - no gimmicks, no pretensions of grandeur, just fellas getting on with belting the sh*t out of each other.

All this 'affiliate' member RLIF/RLEF sh*t is getting embarrassing, 45 nations or whatever named when we all know loads of them are make believe.

This Windies project seems to be the real deal (at this stage).

One thing though: Ian Virgo's one handed grip and carry is technically deficient! (just kidding Ian - give 'em hell!)

romeocbarsharks

Juniors
screeny said:
Wicked pictures.

One thing though: Ian Virgo's one handed grip and carry is technically deficient! (just kidding Ian - give 'em hell!)

:D Ian has one hand on the ball because he was busy using his left arm to "shot" (stiff-arm or hand-off as u may call it) the Sharks palyer (Damion smith), Ian actually made a clean break and gained some yards.

Seriously though, it was a super successfull season for both teams ( Vauxhall Vultures and The Duhaney Park Sharks) and the league in general.
The finals was played at a field dedicated to Rugby League and we all (Ok, my side lost so I am a bit Grumpy still) enjoyed a tough fianls. Visit our website www.jrla.net , we are now posting pictures!

Hey we would love to have some teams pass through Jamaica and play some games, so encourage your mates to come here en mass for vacation so we can train and play with the best in the world!

screeny

Bench
romeocbarsharks said:
:D Ian has one hand on the ball because he was busy using his left arm to "shot" (stiff-arm or hand-off as u may call it) the Sharks palyer (Damion smith), Ian actually made a clean break and gained some yards.

Seriously though, it was a super successfull season for both teams ( Vauxhall Vultures and The Duhaney Park Sharks) and the league in general.
The finals was played at a field dedicated to Rugby League and we all (Ok, my side lost so I am a bit Grumpy still) enjoyed a tough fianls. Visit our website www.jrla.net , we are now posting pictures!

Hey we would love to have some teams pass through Jamaica and play some games, so encourage your mates to come here en mass for vacation so we can train and play with the best in the world!

Yeah, nothing wrong with carrying the football one handed, but the ball, in that picture, should be pointing north to south, not east to west, in relation to his hand. I expect to see improvement from Mr Virgo next season!

Congrats to you and the fellas. In a year you've got a domestic season, something others cannot say after three.

yakstorm

First Grade
Just for interesting stats purposes, here is the 2006 Participation Rates for JRLA.

Constabulary Knights - 26
Duhaney Park Sharks - 48
Jamaican Defence Force - 35
Olympic Angels - 45
Vauxhall Vultures - 56

Total: 210

Whilst some of those participation numbers are quite high for just five teams, its good to see so many people at least getting a chance to taste what Rugby League is. Hopefully that will lead to the formation of additional teams in the future.

Jamaica RLA

Juniors
The Guys in Jamaica have made great strides, both technically and tactically. We will see how much in February as the West Yorkshire Police have just confirmed their tour here from the 26th Feb to 5th March.

As you seem to enjoy the pics here are a few more. We promise this is a bonifide DOMESTIC LEAGUE not as with so many others a fantesy league to provide international opportunities for ex pats!

Paul Morris
JRLA

JARUGBY059.jpg

JARUGBY069.jpg

JARUGBY210.jpg

screeny

Bench
Wicked pictures, and fantasy league is right...too much of the latter, not enough of what's in show in these pics, no frills domestic RL being played week in week out.

romeocbarsharks

Juniors
screeny said:
Yeah, nothing wrong with carrying the football one handed, but the ball, in that picture, should be pointing north to south, not east to west, in relation to his hand. I expect to see improvement from Mr Virgo next season!

When will you be vacationing in Jamaica? I got a coaching job waitng for you! Thanks for that pointer, I really didnt pick that fine point up, I will be sure to be on the look out for that flaw amongst my Sharks playerts. Thanks.

screeny

Bench
romeocbarsharks said:
When will you be vacationing in Jamaica? I got a coaching job waitng for you! Thanks for that pointer, I really didnt pick that fine point up, I will be sure to be on the look out for that flaw amongst my Sharks playerts. Thanks.

Ha ha...thanks for the offer; if I'm Jamaica bound I'll let you know! But tell Mr Virgo I expect him to rectify that fundamental flaw by the start of next season - he'll become a more effective ball handler if he does.

(He doesn't need much assistance with the big 'don't argue' it seems).

calishark

Juniors
yakstorm said:
Just for interesting stats purposes, here is the 2006 Participation Rates for JRLA.

Constabulary Knights - 26
Duhaney Park Sharks - 48
Jamaican Defence Force - 35
Olympic Angels - 45
Vauxhall Vultures - 56

Total: 210

Whilst some of those participation numbers are quite high for just five teams, its good to see so many people at least getting a chance to taste what Rugby League is. Hopefully that will lead to the formation of additional teams in the future.

calishark

Juniors
true. but trust me with the high intensity that these guys play with, you need the numbers:shock:
looking forwrd to new competition though.

calishark

Juniors
screeny said:
Ha ha...thanks for the offer; if I'm Jamaica bound I'll let you know! But tell Mr Virgo I expect him to rectify that fundamental flaw by the start of next season - he'll become a more effective ball handler if he does.

(He doesn't need much assistance with the big 'don't argue' it seems).