What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Magpies Premier League Trials

Angel Bear

Juniors
Have just heard that Wests Magpies have had "invitation only" trials held today. I would wonder "whose been invited"?

Jeffles

Bench
They probably have scouts around the place using their connections with Wests Tigers. Not such a bad move. Sometime with open trials you run the danger of people walking in off the streets, so to speak and causing a disruption.

Navjot

Juniors
They may as well make it open slather if u ask me couldnt do worse than this year.

Angel Bear

Juniors
Unfortunately, there appears to be little interest in the Magpies. Poor performance's over the past couple of years do not help. For those fans interested you used to be able to go to the Magpies website and forum for news, but the site is being "upgraded".

girvie

Staff member
They should have left their old website up until the new one was ready.

I heard Bart Masters will be at the Magpies next year.

Angel Bear

Juniors
I would agree with that. Where did you hear about Bart Masters. Last I heard about him, I think he was playing JB Cup somwhere. One thing for sure they certainly need to find someone to lift them. Same coach, lets just hope his recruitment is a little better than 2006. I wonder when their new website will be ready? Personally thought the old one was o.k.l

Angel Bear

Juniors
Thanks. Wests Magpies certainly hold their cards close to their chests. Not even a leak about who they are looking at or have signed. I think that with their terrible results 2006 season, most of the PL side would be punted, with some exceptions e.g. Nathan Waters. Would not be surprised to see a fair few of the 2006 Flegg side promoted to PL. Hasn't Bart Masters been at the Magpies before? I think he has, a season or 2 ago.

gotheblues

Juniors
Mat Brinkworth was invited to trial , as was Jimmy Newton , Jimmy had prior arrangements and couldn't make the game . No news of a off season training squad yet , West's are returning to training around 8th Nov.

Angel Bear

Juniors
Interesting, Both Brinkworth and Newton played for Thirlmere in Group- 6 this season. Brinkworth off the bench most of the season. Newton a fullback.

gotheblues

Juniors
yes both Thirlmere players , Jimmy the try scoring record holder for Country Rugby League , Brinkworth shared the hooking role with Robbie Mears and also played in the backrow.
Mitch Peronis has made the Flegg training squad , he is a big winger , and can play in the forwards too.
Jayden Merchant would be a good pick up too

Angel Bear

Juniors
Yeah, both good players, There is some talent runing around out there in Group 6. Will be interesting to see if they make the train on squad for PL.

mightydragon

Juniors
Although coming off the bench, Brinkworth was chosen at hooker for the Group 6 rep team but was ruled out with a rib injury.

Angel Bear

Juniors
Jamie Newton, was Group 6 player of the Year, with 40 or so tries. Another player to watch out for is Bryce Poisel - also in the Group 6 Rep side at either 6 or 7, and nominated for Group Player of the year also. Very fast and a very good goal kicker with over 60 goals for the season. Both Newton & Poisel were the highest point scorers in Group 6.

gotheblues

Juniors
Bryce Poisel is a very good player , can organise and always pops the question to the defensive line.
He has signed with Shellharbour Jim Beam Cup Side , would be handy at West's

overtheline

Juniors
Still no word regarding the train on squad for the Magpies. I have been told they start training early in November. Is Willie Newton back from the country. I thought he was playing out west somewhere.

Latest posts