What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rahul Dravid

Anonymous

Juniors
One of the most underappreciated cricketers of this generation.

His record is almost as good as Tendulkar's and, dare I say it, he is better than Tendulkar on a greentop.

Fantastic technique with every attribute a test batsman needs. Not a truly great one day player (not bloody bad though) but as a test match batsman he should rank among the very best. A terrific player.

weasel

First Grade
I concur. Awesome player. Awesome attitude. He can really dig in and play flawless innings, and like you said prosper in trying conditions. Quite likely one of the top five batsman of modern times and barely behind Tendulkar and Gavaskar as Indian's finest player.

roofromoz

First Grade
199 n.o. at stumps.

I rate Dravid very highly. You look at the Indian batting lineup, and see that it is one, on potential, that could match it with the Australian one.

But only he and Tendulkar (and maybe Laxman, in a way) are able to turn this potential into consistency... these three are always in the runs.

Dravid reminds me of the type of player that will just quietly get on with his assigned job, and do it bloody well. The type of player every cricket team needs.

And not a bad keeper to boot!

Anonymous

Juniors
I don't agree about Laxman, a flat track bully for mine (in comparison to Dravid this is- I don't doubt that VVS is a supremely talented player). Laxman is lovely to watch on a good pitch but has big flaws in his technique and his footwork basically revolves around pushing half forward to everything including short of a length deliveries. Dravid on the other hand is a model of technical efficiency and consistent performance, while still being attractive to watch.

weasel

First Grade
Not true about Dravid Preniers. Before this match he only averaged around 40 against Aus, down on his career average of 54, which is a pretty mean drop for someone who's scored over 6000 runs. He has played two classic knocks against Aus, the 180 in India and now this one, but apart from that hasn't really been outstanding. But still those two innings have been brilliant, as has the rest of his career. What a champion.

kaon

Juniors
Dravid is truly a fantastic player. He is one of only a few Indian players to have a better record away from home.

Doctor

Bench
Is anyone else frustrated though - I watch two and a half session yesterday to see Dravid and Laxman occupying the crease mostly, a few tough catches dropped, and then eventually the two batsmen smashing the bowlers around.

Two wickets late in the day (and then another one after I finished watching) is hardly entertainment for me - especially in the heat. I felt like booing and cheering, screaming and applauding.

Their 303 run partnership represented yet another big partnership in the face of being annihilated by Australia. 4/90 odd, having removed Tendulkar, must have given Australia a real lift and made them think they would wind up the match without having to bat a second time - how wrong they were.

MacGill was pretty awful - rank high full-tosses, some very ordinary attempts a flippers, and generally just lacking in discipline. The only bowler capable of tying them down was Steve Waugh - surely that may say something about how poorly Australia are handling the big partnerships against them.

Australia have gone from dominance to being dominanted in this match. I think I would have coped better though if the Indian pair had made their runs quicker. They scored only a few runs in the first session, and quicker in the second - but it is still terribly boring even for a Test cricket fan such as myself.

I want to see wickets this morning and plenty of runs this afternoon thanks Steve - and if your bowlers are going to bowl crap like they did yesterday, then have a bowl again yourself.

And I've hijacked the thread - well played Dravid. I appreciate his skills and patience, but can't help being frustrated.

Anonymous

Juniors
India's run rate in their first innings was well above 3 an over and well above average. The current Australian side is easily the fastest scoring in test history (fact, the 2002 side's average run rate was the fastest by any team ever in a calendar year), you seem to have lost touch with reality if you think Dravid and Laxman scored slowly.

Anonymous

Juniors
Well played by Dravid. Super knock by a super player. I think you really have to feel for the guy though. If Tendulkar had never existed he'd probobly be remembered as one of the best (if not the best) batsmen of our time.

Azkatro

First Grade
Dravid is absolutely sensational. I was a bit miffed at the Ch9 commentary yesterday for not lauding him with enough praise - they were talking up Agarker and Laxman more than him and had the gall to suggest the man of the match award was wide open! :evil:

Dravid anchored India's comeback and in both innings allowed the rest of the batting line up pivot around his innings'. Argarker certainly put in a fine bowling performance but I think Tendulkar's two wickets - both taken brilliantly by Dravid - were probably equally as important, most notably Martyn's.

I would have cried very foul if he wasn't awarded the man of the match. His batting reminds me of David Gower.