What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good news in Victoria +mention of WC

Hazy

Juniors
I think there is also a caveat on Telstra Dome stating that any new stadium built in Melbourne for TD's first ten years cant hold more than about
20 - 25,000.

Lantana

Juniors
Hazy said:
I think there is also a caveat on Telstra Dome stating that any new stadium built in Melbourne for TD's first ten years cant hold more than about
20 - 25,000.

A caveat is a warning, as in 'caveat empor', which means 'buyer beware', when purchasing a property.

I think you looking for the word 'covenant', which is an agreement, usually formal, between two or more persons to do or not do something specified.

Quidgybo

Bench
Surandy said:
Good one moron, you state "Storm have been struggling to break 10,000 for the last few years..." and then use averages to try and justify your claim. Storm have broken 10k on numerous occasions in the past few years, I would hardly call that "struggling to break".
Below are the home crowds for all Storm matches between the start of 2002 and now.

Stormcrowds.jpg

http://www.rleague.com/db/year/2001/nrl_telstra_premiership/melbourne_storm/index.php

Quidgybo said:
The Storm have been struggling to break 10,000 for the last few years...
Between the start of 2002 when the Storm moved back to Olympic Park and the 2006 Origin match played in Melbourne the Storm played 55 home games. Of those, 18 drew more than 10,000 (33%), 8 drew more than 10,500 (15%), and 3 drew more than 11,000 (6%). We can sit here for hours disecting the exact meaning of "few years" and "struggled" but the unavoidable truth is the the Storm crowds aren't smashing thru the 10,000 barrier by any means. Two thirds of their matches haven't broken the barrier at all and when they do break it, it isn't by 3,000 or 4,000, it's by hundreds. That's why I've said they've struggled to break it for the last few years. At no stage have I attempted to do a hatchet job on the Storm, grossly distort the truth, make fun of them or argue they shouldn't be in the competition. I simply made a statement of fact based on common knowledge of NRL crowds (and now backed by the figures) used in the context of discussing future stadium needs.

I am actually one of the most ardent supporters around here of maintaining a Melbourne presence in the competition no matter how long (or how much money) it takes to get right. I have argued for annual Test matches in Melbourne, home finals in Melbourne and even the possibility of Grand Finals being held in Melbourne in the distant future. And I have consistently blasted the NRL and ARL whenever I believe they have failed to do enough to promote the game in Melbourne or support the Storm. I have followed closely the progress of Rugby League in Melbourne from the 1990 Origin game right thru to the present day. I know my stuff. Now I can understand a Storm fan or even a Melbourne resident being a bit defensive of their team. And I can understand wanting to argue that the figures are better than what they are. But what I can't understand is why you'd think that calling what other's write "sh*t" and labelling them as "morons" would give any weight to your own point of view. It doesn't.

Leigh

Perth Tiger

Bench
Those figures are quite interesting. It illustrates quite clearly that the Origin game had a positive affect for RL in Vic

Quidgybo

Bench
Exactly. It's amazing what a bit of marketing does.The NRL and ARL have sat back for far too long and let RL "struggle" in Australia's second biggest city while the peanut gallery argued for the closure of the club and heaped ridicule and scorn. There *is* a market for RL there and a substantial one at that. But it'll take some real effort and sustained commitment to claim our share - just like the AFL have spent over 20 years doing in Sydney. That code is reaping the rewards for their effort both in bragging rights and in raw dollars from television. The only thing our game's procrastination in Melbourne has done is set back the day when we'll be able to reap those same rewards by five to ten years.

Leigh.

Timbo

Staff member
Hazy said:
20 - 25,000.

That's actually bang on the money.

There's a deal in place between the Telstra Dome management and the Victorian government stating that no new stadium with a capacity larger than 20,000 can be built before 2010.

Which is why the stadium is being built to 20,000 capacity, with an easy expansion plan to take it to 25,000.

meltiger

First Grade
Perth Tiger said:
Those figures are quite interesting. It illustrates quite clearly that the Origin game had a positive affect for RL in Vic

The fact that the Storm were leading the comp by a billion miles and being given a number of Friday night games late in the season also had nothing to do with it ;-)

I don't understand the logic of Storm fan arguing for anything above 30k. That would be the absoloute best result for RL in Victoria.

Victory only attracted 22k last night too.

I do agree, 20k is too small though. Gives us very little room to grow.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The fact that the Storm were leading the comp by a billion miles and being given a number of Friday night games late in the season also had nothing to do with it

I never said they didn't but still it is correct ;-)

Maybe i should have said It illustrates quite clearly that NRL and ARL administrators getting off the arses and doing something had a positive affect for RL in Vic :D

Latest posts