What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart MacGill

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Tamazoid said:
Let's look at the 2nd innings figures:

Katich 2/22
MacGill 2/102

Who is the proper spinner?

With figures like that, Katich could push Clarke out of the ODI team.

Eelectrica

Referee
I can't stand MacGill. He's always whinging about not getting a chance and when he gets his chance rarely does anything with it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Warney wanted to extend his test career by giving up the ODIs.

I heard him say in an interview, now that he has had a year off, he wants to get back into the ODIs as well.

Good news.

I think he has much more than 1 or 2 years left in him, depending on whetther he does anything else dumb.

kaon

Juniors
Macgill should stay in the aussie team, he has the Indians all figured out. I heard him say it himself. :roll:

Anonymous

Juniors
Timbo said:
He bowled woderfully in adverse conditions (39 degrees or so) today.

And who cares if he can't bat? He does bat at number 11!!!

And he would have been the only player playing in those conditions?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Oh now I see why we all hate MacGill so much. What a crap half-arsed spinner he is. I now can't stand the bloke. What an imposter. I hate his guts. He should have got more wickets, the wanker. Probably did it on purpose the bludger. :badgrin:

El Diablo

Post Whore
kaon said:
Here is an interesting Macgill quote i found in this article

http://smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/17/1071337032230.html

"I really do like [the challenge], that morning day three was probably the most enjoyable time I've had in Test cricket without taking wickets. I never thought it would really do it for me, because wickets are what I play for. I really liked seeing the confusion on their faces as they hit me for four."

Priceless :lol:

Azkatro

First Grade
kaon said:
Here is an interesting Macgill quote i found in this article

http://smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/17/1071337032230.html

"I really do like [the challenge], that morning day three was probably the most enjoyable time I've had in Test cricket without taking wickets. I never thought it would really do it for me, because wickets are what I play for. I really liked seeing the confusion on their faces as they hit me for four."

:lol: :lol: :lol: Onya Stuey!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
MacGill didnt bowl very well, and hes not as effective as he was in 1998/99. Hes gone, drop him.

Bring in Brad Hogg.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thats right Brad Hogg,

The left arm chinaman, this guy might not take a lot of wickets but can certainly put pressure on the batsman. He doesnt get pelted all over the paddock like MacGill. Hogg is good at frustrating batsman, puts a lot of pressure on them. I think thats what Australia needs, four bowlers, two that can put pressure on the batsman, the other two that can put even more pressure on them by going for the wicket.

Lee, Bracken, Hogg and Williams.

Doctor

Bench
With figures like that, Katich could push Clarke out of the ODI team.

Can't agree there Twizzle. Clarke's ODI bowling is great for a guy that only really bats in domestic cricket. Averaging 24 isn't bad compared to Australia's current spinner Brad Hogg who averages 34.

Clarke's domestic bowling performances have been quite good of late - he picked up a few wickets in a recent ING cup game and made runs with the bat. His domestic ING average is 24.

I see Clarke as a player who stands as an equally promising option beside Katich for both forms. While a player like Lehmann or Katich may make runs for you, Clarke's enthusiasm whatever he is doing (be it with bat or ball) is encouraging. Get him in there.

As for MacGill - for a fellow with such good bowling figures we're tough on him. But I felt his bowling against India left a lot to be desired. You don't bowl that full to such good players, let alone give them rank-hign full tosses interchanged with long hops.

Warnie is back in training, albeit with excess fat but they'll burn that off him quickly.

Warrr-neee! Warrr-neee! Warrr-neee! =D>

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
PARRA_FAN said:
Thats right Brad Hogg,

The left arm chinaman, this guy might not take a lot of wickets but can certainly put pressure on the batsman. He doesnt get pelted all over the paddock like MacGill. Hogg is good at frustrating batsman, puts a lot of pressure on them. I think thats what Australia needs, four bowlers, two that can put pressure on the batsman, the other two that can put even more pressure on them by going for the wicket.

Lee, Bracken, Hogg and Williams.

I keep finding reasons why McGill should be in the team, while I'm not a big fan of his. Here is another one.

Hoggy and Katich, two chinamen and Indias top order are predominantly right handers.

Much as we bag him and he is out of form, I still say there is no other option.

Johns Magic

Referee
There is an extremely good reason as to why MacGill's form has been sub-standard. I have been told that reason by people "in the know" but cannot disperse it