What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tri Nations TV Ratings - final

Nook

Bench
Sydney
Peak 567,000 (for last 15 mins)
Average 463,800 (486,000 for the match only)

Brisbane
Peak 478,000 (for last 15 mins)
Average 423,000 (444,000 for the match only)

Melbourne
Peak 316,000 (for last 15 mins)
Average 243,000

The Sydney ratings are fairly good - unchartered territory for RL in late November at any rate.

The ratings in Brisbane and Melbourne are fantastic. They are big figures for Brisbane. And very good in Melborune. Often 3rd in its timeslot (election coverage won the night easily and a movie on Ch 7 was watched by more) but consistently high figures throughout the game (for RL in Melbourne). Not up to Origin level but plenty there to work with.

Overall good results for a cracker of a final, can't ask much more than that.

As a side note the ratings for the Ashes are amazing - would have averaged close to 500,000 between 2:00pm and 6:00pm yesterday.

mattyg

Bench
cherry pie said:
pity people in sydney would rather sit on there ar$es than actually attend the games

pity you don't know about the cost of living in Sydney at the moment, therefore less spending on "entertainment". With all these Interest Rate rises, higher petrol prices and inflation, people can't afford to fork out a few hundred bucks to go to the footy in Sydney. Not to mention the already high prices of houses all around Sydney. TV figures show that Sydney is still RL heartland, however people just can't afford to go to the games. Its much cheaper to watch the game on TV and get a few pizzas delivered.

mattyg

Bench
cherry pie said:
your kidding me right??? stop embarassing yourself:roll:

How am i embarrassing myself? I'm just speaking on behalf of most families, who have to pay for a house, car, food, bills + more every week, and with the prices for all of that going up, most people have little money left to spend on entertainment, therefore the drop in crowds over this season/tri nations. Yeah sure they could market the games a bit better and probably slightly improve figures, but the fact is people can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars to go to a game, especially in Sydney. At least the people are still watching it on TV, thats all i can say. It's not as if Rugby League is losing support.

You're the only one who is embarrassing yourself, with your zero contribution to this thread (saying "your kidding me" is hardly a good argument), and your poor attempt at spelling.

cherry pie

Juniors
it was a final, it was played in the so called centre of rugby league it SHOULD of been a full house! enough said, we all struggle with money from time to time but i always make sure i make the game!!!! thankyou and goodnight:)

mattyg

Bench
cherry pie said:
it was a final, it was played in the so called centre of rugby league it SHOULD of been a full house! enough said, we all struggle with money from time to time but i always make sure i make the game!!!! thankyou and goodnight:)

:clap: good for you...

I would have also made it there if i wasn't working last night. Unfortunately, people with families have priorities, and making sure that a tri nations final is a full house is not one of them. There are more important things that the hard earnt money of families can be used on.

cherry pie

Juniors
please somebody else from sydney tell me this is not true about you all being hard up and cant attend big international games:roll: look this is just the latest excuse from you lot

ali

Bench
It would be having a small effect. Sydney is being hammered by the interest rate rises brought in to cool the bursting ecomomies on Western Australia and Queensland. So yes it would have had some effect, but we as a sport still have bigger problems, such as the media and our general arrogance in Sydney.

JK

We still should be able to fill the SFS for a final.

Great atmosphere from those that did show though! Best footy I have seen for a couple years!

Bengal

Juniors
mattyg said:
pity you don't know about the cost of living in Sydney at the moment, therefore less spending on "entertainment". With all these Interest Rate rises, higher petrol prices and inflation, people can't afford to fork out a few hundred bucks to go to the footy in Sydney. Not to mention the already high prices of houses all around Sydney. TV figures show that Sydney is still RL heartland, however people just can't afford to go to the games. Its much cheaper to watch the game on TV and get a few pizzas delivered.

Yeah, agree with cherry, they're just not good enough excuses for a Tri-Nations FINAL.

Dissapointing, but not unexpected.

Lantana

Juniors
I agree.

Why doees it have to cost a couple of hundred dollars?

I took my son into the cheap seats parked the car, took a couple of sandwiches from home and drinks and chips.... Miles less then a hundred bucks.
Surely knowing this game was on over 2 months ago could of afforded people top put $10 a week aside.
Mattyg, your excuses are pretty weak, don't try to keep pushing them.
Sydney's crowds are bullsh*t and it has been like that for a little while. It is a crowded sports market and yes there are other priorities, but no way can interest rates be used as a reason? f**k, is your mortgage 85% of your disposable income? If so, go and buy a f**king tent.
I firmly believe the NRL/ARL need to start building a rugby league family. I am sure junior Rugby League clubs would love a financial incentive to sell tickets to their consituents. Their needs to be more below the line marketing activity to people as it is cluttered and potentially confusing for people in normal advertising. I wont keep going but compared to the last international series held in australia this was a great thing to happen, Sydney siders definately need a kick up the arse.

Neatoboy

Juniors
mattyg said:
Sydney has more than double the population of Brisbane and yet they only averaged 40,000 more than Brisbane. Sydney is no longer the heartland... it just has more NRL teams.

Lowdown

Juniors
Nook said:
Melbourne
Peak 316,000 (for last 15 mins)
Average 243,000

What is most upsetting, and again a reflection on the dismissive attitude that Ch9 have for Rugby League supporters in Melbourne, is that with 15-20 minutes to go, with the game in the absolute balance, Channel Nein suddenly switched to Premier Steve Bracks election winning speech!

No joke - for 5 full minutes (whilst the game was still being played obviously) we had to endure this rubbish which was also being shown on ABC, Channel 7, and probably Channel 10 at the exact same time.

Why they could not have simply waited until the game completed, and shown this in the post-election coverage (which they showed immediately after full time, cutting out the presentation ceremony).

I am so sick of this sh*te. Continually Rugby League supporters in Melbourne who have lived up to their part of the bargain by (a) attending matches in ever increasing numbers and (b) bringing in decent if not fantastic ratings even if shown at indecent hours, only to see the arrogant programming executives at Channel 9 assume people don't care.

Losing AFL is the best thing ever to happen to Ch9 from a Rugby League perspective. Let's see the bastards reflect on the numerous years they wasted in not trying to help grow Rugby League in this State, only for them to be stuck with it as their sole arrow in their remarkedly empty sporting quiver for 2007.

The irony is so overwhelming, it's beautiful to behold!

Jeffles

Bench
A lot of FTA programming would have ben interrupted for an election speech so it probably isn't contempt for RL. What this does is harm the credibility o the "Save My Sport" FTA TV campaign. Pay TV can show matches live and uninterrupted.

Nook

Bench
No joke - for 5 full minutes (whilst the game was still being played obviously) we had to endure this rubbish which was also being shown on ABC, Channel 7, and probably Channel 10 at the exact same time.

That would have happened on all stations for most sporting events and other programs, nothing to do with RL.

Vossy did also mention that Melbourne was sticking with RL for the golden point rather than going to a scheduled election update.

The live telecast into Melbourne was a great result and, like Origin 3 this year, those hundreds of thousands who tuned in saw an incredible game of Rugby League. We've been lucky in that respect. The 'casual' RL watcher in Melbourne this year has seen Origin 3, a semi and grand final with the Storm involved, and two wonderful test matches between Aus and NZ.

mattyg

Bench
There has to be some sort of reason behind a drop of 1,000 in crowd averages per match this year. The only thing i can put that down to is the extra $100 or so that families are spending on interest rates, with no rise in their wages. That is enough for some families to decide watching the game on TV is the much cheaper alternative.

Yes the crowd should have been bigger, but at least the TV ratings show that RL isn't losing support in Sydney. Cheapen the prices for next year, and make the games more appealing to attend to and we'll break 2005's crowd levels.

Nook

Bench
There has to be some sort of reason behind a drop of 1,000 in crowd averages per match this year.

There is - the indifferent form (especially early on) of the Sydney teams and a lack of 'vibe' in a season that was never going to live up to 2005.

The only thing i can put that down to is the extra $100 or so that families are spending on interest rates, with no rise in their wages. That is enough for some families to decide watching the game on TV is the much cheaper alternative.

Costs of living will always be a big problem. Taking a family to the footy is expensive but that isn't going to change. You can't blame fluctuations in attendances on interest rates. Has to be a factor but one of many.

The Trinations prices this weekend were cheap. I had great seats for $45 (with a student concession). There were plenty of unsold seats for all the price ranges. The trick isn't lowering the prices to match demand, it's raising demand to match the prices. Something that the ARL really has to work on in Sydney.

mattyg

Bench
Nook said:
The Trinations prices this weekend were cheap. I had great seats for $45 (with a student concession). There were plenty of unsold seats for all the price ranges. The trick isn't lowering the prices to match demand, it's raising demand to match the prices. Something that the ARL really has to work on in Sydney.

yeah, not everyone has a student concession, and when you have 4/5 people in a family going to the game, plus $20 or whatever it is for parking, it starts to get expensive. Before you get in the game you spend about $30 on petrol/tolls/parking, and at home you could spend $30 to get 3 pizzas delivered. The prices didn't stop me from going, in fact i had work so i couldn't go but if i didn't i would have been there...but i can see why families won't go to the games, especially when they are struggling with money.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
For $45 we got tickets to both Sydney games. The seats were pretty good too. Don't say $22.50 per game for two great games is too much. That was the best game I have ever been to. If I could get that sort of game again I would pay over $100 easy.

Latest posts