What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Michael Bevan Overated?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Surely Bevan cant be blamed for all those losses, what about the batsmen before him, You cant expect Bevan to win games for Australia all the time.

I remember one of those games I think Mark Waugh or somebody played a terrible shot and got himself out.

Doctor

Bench
In ODI cricket his stats are that far ahead of everyone else it isn't funny. How someone maintains such an average and such a good temperament under pressure for a long period is beyond me if he is over-rated.

In first class cricket I think he is under-rated. His chances of being re-called to the Test team are equal to that of Martin Love if we go off the last two seasons of Pura Cup cricket. A recent double century, last season's double century and a swag of other runs (plus the fact he misses half the season playing ODI cricket) stands him in a good position. The only thing stopping him from a Test recall is his age and the fact positions are hard to find.

His stats tell a powerful story about how good a batsman he is - whether that makes him overrated depends on how highly you think people rate him in the first place.

Routy21

Juniors
When Bevan comes to the crease its definitely time to grab a beer take a p*ss and maybe have a quick power nap! Now Dean Jones!!! He was and still is the GREATEST ever one day player in the history of the Game!!! Deano is a GOD!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Juniors
Deano was a fool who destroyed his own career. Michael Bevan has maintained the highest ODI aveage ever over a long period of time, and has saved Australia's backside more times than I can remember.

knights04

Bench
IMO Bevan is not overated, but he isn't the best OD batsman in the world. He only has a high average because he's been not out about 60 times. He would be behind Tendulkar, Lara, Jayasuriya, Gilchrist.

kaon

Juniors
Beven has only saved Australia on about 3-4 occasions in his whole career, I challenge anyone who could name more than that.

Off the top of my head I could name 3 matches where his slow batting and him protecting his average have lost us matches. I could find more if I have to.

El Diablo

Post Whore
kaon said:
Off the top of my head I could name 3 matches where his slow batting and him protecting his average have lost us matches. I could find more if I have to.

Do it then.

Start with 6 from the last 2-3 years and and then go through his career and tell us the rest.

Anonymous

Juniors
Bevan's figures are so unbelievable and so far ahead of anyone elses that comments about him "protecting his average" are unspeakably petty.

Also, comments about a batsman striking at 71 being so boring you can't watch only show one thing- you have an attention span not suited to cricket, and/or you are not really a cricket fan.

I am far from a Bevan fan and would not consider him an aesthetically beautiful batsman to watch, but you cannot POSSIBLY argue your way around his career stats.

El Diablo

Post Whore
kaon said:
Beven has only saved Australia on about 3-4 occasions in his whole career, I challenge anyone who could name more than that.

Well there were 2 games at the WC where he helped save us v NZ and England. The miracle games between us and NZ in the VB series od 01/02 and the game v the Windies at the SCG on New years day 5 or so years ago. The 99 WC game v South Africa where he topped scored saved us in a way. A game where he and Steve Waugh had a big partnership in South Africa where he scored a century. He scored another crucial century in a game on our last tour to NZ and he has won us a few games in India over the years. I'm sure there's dozens or so games he's helped save us in.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The batting graph of the guy that costs us matches. Click here.

Just click on a bar and you'll see how costly he's been :roll:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As for protecting his average - what a croc
The guy bats at 6 - meaning he will generally be the last reconised batsmen and has to bat primarily with the tailenders.
It is his duty to stay at the crease IMO for the team to have ANY chance. Some see that as protecting his average, the way he controls the scoring rate is first class and may seem boring at times.
Do you honestly think he would rather loose the game and have his average looked after????
I certainly do not, but see how some would be fooled by this scenario.

As for him losing us matches - here is a tip
If number 1 had done his job it would not be left up to Bevo
If number 2 had done his job it would not be left up to Bevo
If number 3 had done his job it would not be left up to Bevo
If number 4 had done his job it would not be left up to Bevo
If number 5 had done his job it would not be left up to Bevo
But hey number 6 has let us down cause he is protecting his average.
:? :? :? :? :?

budz

Juniors
Dan Jackson said:
budz said:
IMO i think Bevan is over rated in ODI's. But i think he is under rated in the longer version of the game.

:roll: "Budz" and people who share this ridiculous opinion :shock: . What are you even doing on this page? :? Anyone who thinks what you are saying, and even worse, makes these thoughts public, hasn't really got much of an idea about cricket. :x Have a look at how many games Bevan has almost single handedly won for Australia. Then have a look at how many he has performed well in as well, without starring. :D I'm not too sure how you can say he is over-rated with a record like his, especially when the good judges say he is the best one day player in the world, and up with the likes of Viv Richards, Dean Jones and the like, as best of all time. That's absolute champion status "Budz".
Before you go back to the hockey forum, :) read about some of Australia's greatest one day victories and see who was behind plenty of them.
Well let me just say that the only reason i think he is over rated is because of the fact that people think he is the best one day player in the world. And IMO i dont think he is the best one day player in the world.

Doctor

Bench
I went to your graph - it seems to indicate that in many cases the top 4 or 5 get very few runs and Bevan actually makes runs. Now I'm no Max Krugar, but I'm sure that constitutes a good thing for a batting side - that someone actually makes runs.

Bevan's average is largely thanks to not-outs - but this is a good thing. It means that Bevan is actually hanging around when others have just got themselves out.

Contrary to popular opinion, ODI cricket is not about slogging the ball but instead building up an innings through the use of many different batting styles. Many sides start by blasting, then consolidate, then do some late-innings blasting.

Every team needs a backbone of their innings - Bevan is that backbone a lot of the time when in fact it should have been the top-order playing that role.

His long list of not-outs are testament to the fact that he does his job well - he doesn't get out, and he still strikes at a good OD Strike rate.

I sometimes wonder whether some people have any interest in One Day cricket with all the non-sensical dribble that gets posted around here. Bevan's career speaks for itself - one of patience and sensible batting.

Wake up and smell the dandelines and you will see that Bevan has been a match-saver on many occassions.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Bevan has saved an outrageous number of matches, vs NZ alone. He must be the only player with an ODI average of 50, and achieves his average often.

He is one of the best ODI players going around...

wittyz chick

Coach
Put him on the SCG and then I want to hear you say he's over-rated...on the SCG he is 2nd only to Donald Bradman as for other grounds he is not so bad as you people make him out to be...give the guy a break the only reason he is not in the one-day squad is becausethe ACB use one dayers to blood youngsters thats why he hasnt been picked...OPEN YOUR EYES AND REALISE THIS...as for tests he is great...dont be so hard on the bloke if he wasnt great he wouldnt play for NSW but he is so he IS NOT OVERATED he says he will be back and i believe him he will be back better then ever

I'd have to say myself that 'BEVO ' is no doubt the best 1 day player today. Not only his stats speak for themselves but he has the ability if Australia is in complete control he will smash it about the park, but, if we get in a bit of strife he will take his time to rebuild what has been broke. Also take into account this bloke averages over 50 runs per match, i don't know of any other current ODI players over that mark, that takes some effort considering he comes in at number 6. To say he is overrated is completely and utterly wrong.

C'MON AUSSIE C'MON C'MON... :D 8)

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
Do you even watch cricket ?

This is the most annoying post I have ever seen.

The guy has been the backbone of the team for many years, if the top fail bevan has always shouldered the responsability and got us home.

This is pure ignorance, any team in the world would have given up any player to have had bevan for all those years.

This thread is an insult to Australian cricket

El Diablo

Post Whore
kaon said:

Kaon, do we have to wait for next Christmas before you come up with these games?

Yo've posted on the board yesterday so I assume you're just avoiding this thread as you have NOTHING.

kaon

Juniors
Twice last season and a couple of times in the South Africa/New Zealand tri-series. They’re off the top off my head and I can't be bothered looking up the numerous other occasions.

Maybe if you made a greater effort to be more specific in your summations I could put in the time in the next few weeks.