What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Word Counter - Please read

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The F7s Official Counter will be used by referees when marking articles. It is hosted on the 'F7s Central' website.

All players are urged to use it as the standard, copying and pasting from title to ending.

To used the F7s Official Word Counter, click on the image:

Cheers.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For the notice of all players. A single dash (ie "-") is no longer included in the word count.

For instance, the following sentence is officially only 3 words:

You - and me.

Titanic

First Grade
Here are some further examples:

well intentioned (2 words), well-intentioned (1), well - intentioned (2).

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
I had no agenda, just a few little things to highlight for new players as they learn to interpret the very minor but potentially costly vagaries of the OWC.

In the above case, to clarify that a 'hyphen' as opposed to a 'dash' creates a single word rather than two in the OWC.

I add that a picture generally counts as one word (so placing it before the title will save a 'word') and then the issue of 'words in/on the picture' are up to the discretion of the referee (as the Rules state) i.e. not recognised by the OWC but potentially countable by the ref.

There are also 'justification' issues to be careful of when you either indent or add 'dot' points.

No biggy at all - just info.

TooheysNew

Coach
In the above case, to clarify that a 'hyphen' as opposed to a 'dash' creates a single word rather than two in the OWC.
Not really. It works on spaces. 'well-intentioned' is the correct way of writing that word and it is just one word.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It is the standard used in the F7s. Articles are copied and pasted there for counting. No interpretations or vagaries, it is just the Official Word Counter.

Before the OWC, there was no standard and players used MS Word, or some other online word counter. In some cases, players physically counted the words.

Clearly this was open to conflict as different methods brought up different counts. The OWC solved this problem.

If you paste the finished article in the OWC, then you can't go wrong. Just make sure you are pasting the article as the ref will see it (from headline to final word).

If there are too many words because of an errant space issue, then cover it by losing the word(s). I did it myself this this week - an extra word popped up in the finished article, and I did a quick edit before fulltime.

Latest posts