What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sopranos ***SPOILER***

Steel Dragon

Bench
Just watched the whole series

I think im a little disappointed there was no resolution.

Ideally I wouldve loved an ending where Tony was watching the ducks (as he did in the first ep) but the ambiguity of all the suspicious guys and the happy family kinda shat me.

The Journey song was brilliant though - especially with the final "dont stop" and it does stop.

So many loose ends

Steel Dragon

Bench
Has anyone seen the Hilary Clinton campaign ad that rips off the final scene in the Sopranos?

Its hilariously BAD!!!!

Collateral

Coach
I think the ending is set up to give you a feeling of what Tony feels all the time. It also plays on some of the themes such as stereotyping people because of what they look like.

I dont think he was killed. Phil was dead and they made a deal with the NY Family to bring peace. Phil was the only one who really wanted Soprano dead.
Add to the fact that the Soprano family is in tatters with Sil, Bobby and Chris gone which leaves Tony with little power in the foreseeable future.
Also take into account that it looks like T will be spending time in jail due to the guns charge.

And finally, we assume that Little Carmine takes over as NY boss and doesnt like the violence and is friends with Tony.

So, why would Tony be killed? There is little to gain from Tony being killed as he is basically reduced to being out of the picture anyway.

There was no reason within the plot for Tony to be killed. If the guy who went in the bathroom did it, it would be a totally out of the blue hit, which I don't like. I like to think Tony lives on, though he is facing a major trial coming up anyway.

There certainly is a raging debate on the internet, about whether the ending means that he died or not.

Meth

Staff member
One hell of a bump, but it’s 2017 and I have just watched the Sopanos.

I LOVED the last scene- it’s actually pretty haunting. He definitely got killed.

Apey

Staff member
He def got killed. Whenever someone came through the door, the camera switched to his view. What is the significance of showing Meadow being late/unable to park a car if not to continue the theme of her being his guardian angel.

The Sopranos is in my top 3 series, probably top 2.

Watching Tony crack the shits in his therapy sessions never gets old.

PJ

First Grade
Thats what I thought.

But then Chase, the creator of the show, said in an interview that Tony isnt dead.

Since then he has apparently backed away from that or at least his reps bave.

Parra

Referee
The best tv show by far.

I don't really get the ambiguity people see at the end. Seemed obvious and shocking at the time and more obvious with each rewatch. Even has homage to the Godfather.

AJB1102

First Grade
Best TV I've ever seen. Gonna be dusting off the DVDs and giving it another burl from start to finish I think.

I pretty much learned to pirate shows because I couldn't wait for The Sopranos to hit Australia like 12mths late.

Apey

Staff member
Thats what I thought.

But then Chase, the creator of the show, said in an interview that Tony isnt dead.

Since then he has apparently backed away from that or at least his reps bave.
I know he created it and all but unless it's some sort of definitive announcement I don't take too much from it. Showrunners love to stir the pot after all is said and done to keep the talk going. Originally he said it's open to interpretation, then went one way and has probably gone the other at some point.

I thought the ending was great when I first saw it, however I had already heard about it being controversial so I wasn't going in blind. Like others I probably would have thought my TV had cut out if I saw it at the time.

Danish

Referee
I had heard of the Sopranos ending being controversial and shitty before actually seeing it. Basically I'd had people say it just cuts out mid-sentence and thats it.

When I sat down and watched it - binging through the whole series in about a month - I honestly had no idea how anyone could see it as ambiguous.

To me, he is clearly dead. They go to great pains throughout the series to discuss mortality, the afterlife, and what happens when you die. Tony and Bobby even talk about it at one point and state how when you get shot, you never even hear it. Its just lights out. Ironically this proved not to be true to Bobby, since he saw his assassin and tried to flee.

But with Tony, to me that is exactly what happened. He got shot in the back of the head and it was lights out.

I suppose it is open to interpretation, especially since the creators of the show absolutely refuse to confirm it one way of the other, but to me it was a really nice ending to the show.

One can only wonder how f**ked up the audience would have been if the show runners had got their way on their original ending i.e. no even rolling credits, just like 90 seconds of black screen

Apey

Staff member
One of my favourite moments is when he's meeting with the school counsellor and he still has a tooth in his pants from the earlier curb stomping.

gUt

Coach
Just rewatched this show recently, it holds up pretty well.

But there are certain characters who are so much more irritating than I remember, specifically AJ and Janice.

Apey

Staff member
Just rewatched this show recently, it holds up pretty well.

But there are certain characters who are so much more irritating than I remember, specifically AJ and Janice.

Haha I love AJ. Well, more I love and his relationship with Tony, it reminds me a bit of Hank and Bobby in King of the Hill. But I always found his blank-faced dopey replies "I dunno" pretty funny. He's quite annoying in the last season before/after his suicide attempt though.

Melfi: On some level he may have known that the rope was too long to keep him submerged
Tony: Or he could just be an idiot. Historically that’s been the case.

Janice is annoying as f**k by herself but like AJ, bouncing off the kingpin are her best moments.

Parra

Referee
Haha I love AJ. Well, more I love and his relationship with Tony, it reminds me a bit of Hank and Bobby in King of the Hill. But I always found his blank-faced dopey replies "I dunno" pretty funny. He's quite annoying in the last season before/after his suicide attempt though.

Melfi: On some level he may have known that the rope was too long to keep him submerged
Tony: Or he could just be an idiot. Historically that’s been the case.

Janice is annoying as f**k by herself but like AJ, bouncing off the kingpin are her best moments.

Sacre bleu, where is me mama?

Great scenes with these two.