What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former League Commentators

Knight87

Juniors
I was just thinking about some league commentators that no longer commentate at Rugby League games. What is/was your opinion on these following commentators:

Brett Kenny, Steve Mortimer, Russell Fairfax, Glen Lazurus, Paul Green, John McCoy, Wally Lewis, Phil Blake, Mario Fenech, Terry Kennedy, Eric Young, Mike Rabbitt, Sean Garlick, Alan Thomas and Billy J Smith (the Ray Warren soundalike)?

What did happen to John McCoy? I remember he use to commentate for Fox, especially all the Cowboys home games, and then he suddenly dissapeared off the scene when Andy Raymond became one of the 3 main callers on Fox a few yrs ago (along with Warren Smith and Mark Braybrook). John McCoy use to call like he was at a rodeo or horserace or something like that.

And also, Billy J Smith and Alan Thomas. The use to call Brisbane Broncos (and also Gold Coast Seagulls matches I think), before Andrew Voss and Chris Bombalas started to call Broncos games not televised by Ch9 Sydney. They dissapeared off the scene as well.

Finally (a little bit of a joke here), how would you feel if the Ch9 cricket commentary team was made to call rugby league games? hehehhehehhe! Could you stand to hear Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell, Ian Healy, Mark Taylor, Mark Nicholas and Michael Slater as commentators in league?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I rate Graeme Hughes very very highly as a caller, shame he doesn't do the games in NZ anymore and we get lumbered with that other muppet instead. Hughes and Lowe used to be "sensattttttttttttttional"

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Surely any two would be better than:
Know it all Gould (when he gets rules wrong all the time)
and Strange Tangent Warren (he picks up something very trivial with a player and won't stop going on about it)

Iafeta

Referee
Greame Lowe - now in an NZRL role

Greg Clark - commentating on rah-rah

Tony Iro - now in a coaching role at the Warriors, after Sky sacked him a few years ago for insinuating the Warriors were just like the Dogs over the cap (before they really were, or were at least caught)

Knight87

Juniors
Oh, I should also have added Greg Clark as well. Former League commentator, now union. Sounds like he was a union person in disguise, all along.

Graeme Hughes was good. First time I remember him calling was Auckland vs Newcastle back in 1998. Was better than Costigan and co. And then, there was also Brett Todd and Tony Iro.

Iafeta

Referee
Hughes was SSEEEEEEENNNNNNNNSSSAATTTTTTTTIIIIOOOONNNNNNNAAAAAAAL

He was the best we've had over the ditch by some margin.

Knight87

Juniors
hahhaha. That'd be funny. With the cricket commentary team:

Mark Nicholas (main caller), Mark Taylor and Richie Benaud (co-commentators) and Tony Greig (sideline).

Or, imagine Richie Benaud as the main caller, ROFL! Man, I'd hate to see how that'd go.
"A mmmmmarrrrrrrvelous effet that.........from Darren Lockeeeeeeyer. He kicked the ball from the sideline...and the shcore is now twenty-tewwwwww to tewwwwww"

But in all seriousness, I'd like to see how Ray Warren would go in a 30 min stint in the commentary box of a cricket game. Heard all the parodies of Rabs on the 12th man cds and i think it is pretty close to the mark, so to speak

PARRA_FAN

Coach
J T said:
I was just thinking about some league commentators that no longer commentate at Rugby League games. What is/was your opinion on these following commentators:

Brett Kenny, Steve Mortimer, Russell Fairfax, Glen Lazurus, Paul Green, John McCoy, Wally Lewis, Phil Blake, Mario Fenech, Terry Kennedy, Eric Young, Mike Rabbitt, Sean Garlick, Alan Thomas and Billy J Smith (the Ray Warren soundalike)?

What did happen to John McCoy? I remember he use to commentate for Fox, especially all the Cowboys home games, and then he suddenly dissapeared off the scene when Andy Raymond became one of the 3 main callers on Fox a few yrs ago (along with Warren Smith and Mark Braybrook). John McCoy use to call like he was at a rodeo or horserace or something like that.

And also, Billy J Smith and Alan Thomas. The use to call Brisbane Broncos (and also Gold Coast Seagulls matches I think), before Andrew Voss and Chris Bombalas started to call Broncos games not televised by Ch9 Sydney. They dissapeared off the scene as well.

Finally (a little bit of a joke here), how would you feel if the Ch9 cricket commentary team was made to call rugby league games? hehehhehehhe! Could you stand to hear Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell, Ian Healy, Mark Taylor, Mark Nicholas and Michael Slater as commentators in league?

Brett Kenny, Steve Mortimer, Glen Lazurus, Wally Lewis (on FOX), Phil Blake- I didnt mind them, they sounded a bit dull and boring on occassions, but werent too biased and had good knowledge

Russell Fairfax- annoying voice, good presenter

John McCoy- :lol: yeah it did sound like he was calling the rodeo, I think thats what he's doing now in QLD. Not bad, just had that annoying voice when get over excited

Mario Fenech- annoying, especially when he spoke over the commentators,

Terry Kennedy- I enjoyed his commentary, didnt go over the top, it was funny when he used cliche's better than Andy Raymond

Eric Young- didnt hear much of him, though he did a few games in 1998, not a bad commentator, especially when he kept up with the game

Mike Rabbitt- never heard of him?

Alan Thomas and Billy J Smith (the Ray Warren soundalike)- good commentators, I dont know much of Thomas but he and Billy used to be co-callers for the QLD cup, and Broncos/Seagulls games

Thomas actually called the Brisbane/Penrith game this year, while Voss was in Sydney calling the EEls/Tigers and Rabs was in Montreal.

I dont know whats happened to Billy, last I heard he was on Triple M Brisbane, calling Broncos games, back in 2001.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ahh yes Bill Anderson was with Ch 10 for a while, along with Rabs, Graham Hughes, Ian Maurice and the Moose.

Recently he was on Sports Tonight every Friday for Bet of the week, and currently first grade or second grade cricket coach for Randwick-Petersham

no name

Coach
PARRA_FAN said:
Terry Kennedy- I enjoyed his commentary, didnt go over the top, it was funny when he used cliche's better than Andy Raymond

Came up with a beauty when Ian Ruben made a line break:
"There's a Russian in Space!!!":lol:

Alan thomas is a Brisbane Race caller and does stuff on Sky racing, he is replaced Wayne Wilson because of Cancer.

Billy J smith does Coroporate gigs now but does the Greenbank RSL ads in Brisbane

Nullajet

Juniors
Warren Boland was the best for mine.

I actually think Andrew Voss is very good.

The worst? The Moose that bores..Rex!! Good for a laugh if you like mispronounced names and arrogance.

And re the ray warren trivial stuff about a player during commentary....did anyone else get tired of hearing that Brett Stewart has diabetes during the origin call FFS!!!

Iafeta said:
Greame Lowe - now in an NZRL role

Greg Clark - commentating on rah-rah

Tony Iro - now in a coaching role at the Warriors, after Sky sacked him a few years ago for insinuating the Warriors were just like the Dogs over the cap (before they really were, or were at least caught)

LOL Iro...gets sacked by sky, then goes and works for the Warriors while they actually were cheating the cap.

I just miss hearing G. Hughes. He even made that sh*tty cricket max game exciting "OHH CAIRNS HAS GONE AGAIN, HE'S SMACKED IT RIGHT INTO THE STANDS..........SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENSATIONAL....UNBELIEVABLE CRICKET SHOT OHHHHHHHHHHHH WHATTA STUNNER!!!!!"

Why do we have to put up with Costigan, when Hughes is still breathing???