What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former League Commentators

bileduct

Coach
I did some work with Fox Sports for a few seasons and had the pleasure of working with a number of past and present commentators. I had plenty of time for Wally Lewis (a surprisingly quiet bloke in person), Russell Fairfax, Warren Smith and Gary Freeman (cheeky mofo called me a fat merkin).

Could not stand Brett Kenny and Laurie Daley.

bileduct said:
I did some work with Fox Sports for a few seasons and had the pleasure of working with a number of past and present commentators. I had plenty of time for Wally Lewis (a surprisingly quiet bloke in person), Russell Fairfax, Warren Smith and Gary Freeman (cheeky mofo called me a fat merkin).

Could not stand Brett Kenny and Laurie Daley.

LOL @ Freeman. I love that lil sh*t.

Would you be able to elaborate on why you didn't think very highly of Daley & Kenny? I've heard Laurie's a really good guy.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Was Billy J Smith that guy that used to do "It's a knockout"..

If it is... He called a few of the bronco's games early on in the late 80's.

Total wanker also.

bileduct

Coach
Bobby DIGital said:
LOL @ Freeman. I love that lil sh*t.

Would you be able to elaborate on why you didn't think very highly of Daley & Kenny? I've heard Laurie's a really good guy.

My opinions are derived from what I thought of them in person, not necessarily their commentary skills. I worked as part of the production crew and spent around 3-4 hours each weekend with these guys in the commentary booths. Most of them were really outgoing and friendly guys who would introduce themselves to people they didn't know and didn't automatically assume they were known to that person.

A minority of them didn't fit into that category.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Nullajet said:
Warren Boland was the best for mine.

I actually think Andrew Voss is very good.

The worst? The Moose that bores..Rex!! Good for a laugh if you like mispronounced names and arrogance.

And re the ray warren trivial stuff about a player during commentary....did anyone else get tired of hearing that Brett Stewart has diabetes during the origin call FFS!!!

Yeah Boland was one of my favourites, god I miss ABC Football on a Saturday alvo.

I have a tape of Mossop calling a game in 1992, Canberra/Illawarra, and you could tell he was losing it, now I wonder why he wasnt calling it when Hughes and Maurice took over in 1988.

He called names wrong and didnt keep up with the game well. "Now its with Boyle, he's goes down the blindside and tackled on 4" (the other bloke next to him) "Its actually Croker Rex", "Croker?" "Croker, well then he plays it".

I dont remember this, but they showed an incident when he was on the Steve Vizard show and Julian Clarey and was sitting next to him. Rex refused to shake his hand and Vizard kept asking questions about gays and stuff and Rex didnt want to know about it

Steve: What do you think of homosexuals?
Rex: I dont think about them

:lol: Good one.

Didnt he blow up afterwards though, talked about his book and threw it at him.

dimitri

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
Yeah Boland was one of my favourites, god I miss ABC Football on a Saturday alvo.

I have a tape of Mossop calling a game in 1992, Canberra/Illawarra, and you could tell he was losing it, now I wonder why he wasnt calling it when Hughes and Maurice took over in 1988.

He called names wrong and didnt keep up with the game well. "Now its with Boyle, he's goes down the blindside and tackled on 4" (the other bloke next to him) "Its actually Croker Rex", "Croker?" "Croker, well then he plays it".

I dont remember this, but they showed an incident when he was on the Steve Vizard show and Julian Clarey and was sitting next to him. Rex refused to shake his hand and Vizard kept asking questions about gays and stuff and Rex didnt want to know about it

Steve: What do you think of homosexuals?
Rex: I dont think about them

:lol: Good one.

Didnt he blow up afterwards though, talked about his book and threw it at him.

i agree

warren was tops

petetheileet

First Grade
even though i never heard him call, the late Tiger Black is a relative of mine...

apparently he was excellent and you would never know he had one red eye and one white eye!

j5o6hn

Juniors
Would not a better thread be What happened to all the commentators who have fallen out,disagreed,tried to speak sense or told RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy he was wrong on RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAys 2GB football call.

SilverSteeler

Juniors
In NZ:
Graeme Hughes was good, he was better without Lowe though.

Costigan is getting better, if you hear him commentate Basketball, you will know what bad commentating is about.

Ropati:crazy: /McIvor :lol:

In OZ:
Gould and Freeman are good because they call it how they see it and don't give a sh*t.

Voss is actually are very good commentator and gets the majority of things right, and I thought I would never say it but Tallis is pretty good too.

Brutus

Referee
John McCoy was banned from commentary boxes for life because of his constant bad wind. True story. I'm not sure what he is doing now or his background before doing the Fox stuff. He struggled to get people to commentate with him. Wally did it for a while.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Brutus said:
Graeme Hughes is a wasted calling talent.

He must be given a gig somewhere.

Well the NRL should give the rights to 2Sm, infact the whole rights, let them call Sat night/Monday nights.

Stuff Triple M, people cant get them in the regional areas.

JJ

Immortal
Howie Tamati was brilliant:

"What NZ has to do, is get down the other end and score some tries" :lol:

What's even funnier, is someone important was watching as soon after he was made NZ coach.

Freeman and Lowe are both root vegetables too - and about as insightful as Howie. (unfortunately also former NZ coaches :lol:)

dubby

Bench
Graham Hughes was the best commentator I have heard. Its a shame he cant get a job with Fox or Nein. Then again, he'd make the Nine commentators look stupid(er)

Warren Boland deserves better than QLD cup. He'd make a perfect sideline commentator for Fox.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
dubby said:
Warren Boland deserves better than QLD cup. He'd make a perfect sideline commentator for Fox.

Should be ahead of Andy Raymond or Mark Braybrook.

I reckon have him and Graham Hughes calling the games for Fox.

Nullajet

Juniors
Rex Mossop used to always call Ricky Walford ..Ricky Walpole!!

and i think everyone got tired of correcting him so just let it go...

GREAT TRY WALPOLE!!!!!

ocko

juniors
Brutus said:
John McCoy was banned from commentary boxes for life because of his constant bad wind. True story. I'm not sure what he is doing now or his background before doing the Fox stuff. He struggled to get people to commentate with him. Wally did it for a while.

:lol: f**k me dead, where'd ya hear that from?

ocko

juniors
graeme hughes was a great caller back in the day. wouldn't be too keen on hearing him now though.